Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Nebraska State Capital Building

Post by Coyote »

Nebraska Capitol Makes Favorite Architecture List
Empire State Building Tops Poll Of America’s Favorite Architecture

KETV wrote:The Nebraska State Capitol made the list of the top 150 most-liked architecture in the country.  It ranked 67th, just ahead of the New York Times Building in New York City, and just behind Gamble House in Pasadena, California.  The rankings are based on a poll of more than 1,800 Americans released by the American Institute of Architects.  The Empire State Building topped the list.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I really like our state capitol, and it's CERTAINLY unique among the majority of state capitols which copied the national capitol's design, which copied St. Paul's in London, which copied St. Peter's in Rome, etc., etc.

One of my architecture books (for which I just searched...unsuccessfully) totally rips the NE capitol a new one and insults its architecture.  I wanted to find it so I could quote it, but oh well.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Minneapolis Boy
Library Board

Post by Minneapolis Boy »

I too like our state capitol building, for the reasons you stated Streets.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Love the Nebraska State capitol.  All the more bold for having been built in the 1930s when Lincoln was a mere burgh of 60,000.

Goodhue also designed the Los Angeles Central Library using many of the same elements (but not nearly as tall). It's one of my favorite buildings in LA.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

The capital has always been one of my favorite buildings in the state, I'm glad to see it is getting some nation wide recognition.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Here are some photos I took back in fall '03 when I was a freshman at UNL.

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Outstanding pics Aaron!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great photos Aaron! A place to be proud of.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

I too have always loved this building.  The overall design and layout have a very good feel to them.  The attention to detail and the way it represents the state historically in the friezes, mosaics, carvings and other details are very beautiful.