Lincoln mayoral candidate says WHAT???!!!

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Candleshoe
Human Relations

Lincoln mayoral candidate says WHAT???!!!

Post by Candleshoe »

Mayoral candidate Ken Svoboda called for a seven-year moratorium on new road construction in the western two-thirds of Nebraska, except for on the interstate.

If more state road construction dollars flowed into eastern Nebraska, namely Lincoln and Omaha, those two economic engines would be able to produce even more revenue for the rest of the state, he reasoned.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2007/04 ... 879270.txt

Sorry, it took me a week to hear this story. Unbelievable.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Sorry shoe... you're not going to get any sympathy from this crowd.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I'm with ya, Candleshoe.

The Panhadle was promised its "Heartland Expressway" over 15 years ago and the thing sits less than halfway complete with no signs of new construction.  It's supposed to be part of a larger "Prairies to Ports" project.  If travelers could zip from Denver to the Black Hills, through the Nebraska panhandle, on a 4-lane expressway, you'd see a completely different panhandle in the span of a single generation.  Build it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I completely agree with him.
DTO
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

I think the amount of dollars should be spread around proportionately. If the western 2/3 is receiving more than their proportional share it should be reduced.
Rocan
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rocan »

I agree with Capital Guy on this. It must be about proportion, everyone should get their fair share...whatever that may be.

Also, I understand that Omaha and Lincoln are the main economic engines of the state, that's not news to anyone. But how are these other parts of the state ever going to benefit, improve themselves and compete if we cut the funds that they're currently receiving. Talk about just giving up on an area. Forget about it not being "political correct", this is just plain embarrassing, and I would hope that even the most pro-Omaha, pro-eastern Nebraska person on this board would recognize that.

I also find it nice that someone running from a mayoral spot in a city completely out of the area that he's proposing this for feels that he can make such a claim. It must take real "guts" to propose taking money away from an area completely out of your district and that will not be involved in electing (or not electing) you into office. Way to show some leadership there Ken. We obviously can't take care of our own infrastructure issues here in Lincoln, so we'll just take from Gering...there, now everything's better.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Rocan wrote:I also find it nice that someone running from a mayoral spot in a city completely out of the area that he's proposing this for feels that he can make such a claim. It must take real "guts" to propose taking money away from an area completely out of your district and that will not be involved in electing (or not electing) you into office. Way to show some leadership there Ken. We obviously can't take care of our own infrastructure issues here in Lincoln, so we'll just take from Gering...there, now everything's better.
That's obviously political posturing for future endeavors.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Historic Omaha »

Next thing on Ken's agenda, "I propose that all prairie grasses in the western half of the state be moved to Lincoln to help with my landscaping/yard business."  He is really too scared to state that funding for roads projects in suburban areas of Omaha and Lincoln should be minimized...as they only encourage future growth.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Heh heh. Never expected any, in fact I halfway expected somebody to say "why should LINCOLN get any of it either?"
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Candleshoe wrote:
Heh heh. Never expected any, in fact I halfway expected somebody to say "why should LINCOLN get any of it either?"

Now that you mention it...:;):
DTO
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

An expressway between Denver and Rapid City?  My God why?  
How about another one between Kansas City and Kearny...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

cdub wrote:An expressway between Denver and Rapid City?  My God why?  
How about another one between Kansas City and Kearny...
Kearney and Kansas City are already connected by expressway (albeit three expressways).

The Heartland Expressway is a great idea.  It's already nearly 50% built.  It would connect one of the top tourist destinations in the country (Mt. Rushmore) to one of the top tourist hubs (Denver) making it a mere 6-hour drive. It would cut across, imo, Nebraska's most beautiful topography and would give the towns along the way (Alliance, Scottsbluff, Chadron, Kimball) a much needed economic shot in the arm.  Western Nebraska is a great natural asset to the rest of the state. If we want to combat the state's image as flat and dull, developing the panhandle is the best way to do that.

Thanks for that link Uffda.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

edsas wrote:If we want to combat the state's image as flat and dull, developing the panhandle is the best way to do that.
Especially with 400 miles of WalMarts, McDs and Amocos.

-Big E
Stable genius.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

People have made it to the Hills without that road, and many others for along time.  Its absolutely not needed for that purpose.  While it might help the panhandle 'develop', I doubt the cost of the road is worth it...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cdub wrote:People have made it to the Hills without that road, and many others for along time.  Its absolutely not needed for that purpose.  While it might help the panhandle 'develop', I doubt the cost of the road is worth it...
People have made it for Omaha to CB for many years too.  Tell me what you think brings more value?  A foot bridge across the Missouri or a Road system.  Granted they are not on the same scale but the theory is smilier.  It is to improve the quality of life and develop an area.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Its all cost vs. benefit.  The difference is that a metro area stands to derive a lot more benefit than scattered small towns.  My quality of life would be improved if I had my own lane on I80 to get to work sooner but I don't think anyone else cares...
unlkid
New to the Neighborhood

Post by unlkid »

The expressway is part of a larger project to bring another way to travel from the southern plains to the Canadian border.  And since there is no north/south expressway between I-29 and I-15, it is probably well needed for both travelers and the shipping industry.  Not to mention the roads can often be winding and dangerous in the black hills and badlands of the Dakotas.
unlkid
New to the Neighborhood

Post by unlkid »

sorry i meant to say I-25 not I-15
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Some sort of interstate/highway to nowhere?  Why? and What for?  While I would agree with Fairness... how many people live out in Western Nebraska?  So, if you are going to be fair... you give each person so much money... lets keep it simple... 10 dollars... then how ever many live in that part of the state get that much to spend on updating/creating their roads.  This would be the fairest... lol, of them all.  I mean it doesn't make any sense that western Nebraska should get 1 billion, Lincoln areas, 1 billion, and Omaha areas, 1 billion.  Think of it this way... you don't need 4 lane roads for 204 blocks by 204 (counting each 12 is a mile) blocks in Valentine Nebraska, etc.  It makes no sense to give them the same AMOUNT of money as Omaha/Lincoln would get.  Omaha, NEEDS those roads, so it would make more sense to spend more here, where it is needed, not some place where absolutely ALMOST no one travels.  I don't believe many Nebraskans going to Denver say STOP I want to look at that mound of dirt... or STOP I want to travel to that mound of dirt and take a trip, instead of going to Denver.

Plus think of it this way... if you build a highway to Rapid City... all those towns along the way will be affected by the highway.  All the towns people want this money so they can build this highway and then COMPLAIN later that their towns aren't "townish" any longer.  They've done that along I-80 in the past.  I can back this up by actually giving facts that this happens.  Grand Island... Karney... what happens is the town is say 5 miles away from the Highway... stores start to move towards the Highway and leave the downtown area.  As this happens people ONLY get off the highway to shop (to rest = bathroom break/or buy something like food/drink)... they don't stop at Wal-mart to go get toothpaste or any other need.  So by the time everything is said and done, the town has moved 5 miles to the Highway, the downtown area is vacant, except for those few who complain.  Wal-mart has possibly moved in, and nowhere never giving the town any money (they're keeping it for themselves).

So by the time your done, people in the west Lose.. no matter what... but I'm guessing those people who read my reply wont like it.  2 reason why.  They want that money anyhow and when they get it, will just complain about what happens, or secondly, they get mad because what I said is true.  Please, if you don't believe what I said in paragraph 2 is true, look it up... its in most Town/Cities Historical Records, plus you hear stories about it all the time.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

My god, you have no idea what you are talking about.

GI, Kearney and Hastings are probably the worst examples you can pick of DTs that are "drying up" because of the interstate. Kearney sits directly on the interstate and its downtown is doing just fine. G.I.'s DT is about 8 miles north of the interstate. It, too, is doing just fine. Hastings' DT is about 20 miles south of the interstate and, yep, is just fine.

As for Western Nebraska, the point is not to evenly distribute funds. The point is to give the area an economic booster shot.  Are Omaha and Lincoln's roads being serviced? Yes they are. Is the Heartland Express still under construction?  Technically -- yes. In real terms -- it hasn't been for the last 6 years. Quit whining. Eastern NE's thoroughfares aren't going to turn into the Baghdad Highway just because the panhandle finishes a project they were promised almost 30 years ago.