Lincoln Secular Humanists

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Lincoln Secular Humanists

Post by Big E »

Sounds like they'd make a good addition to the forums here if anyone wants to contact them.

It's probably just a matter of time before John Bruning prosecutes these folks for something, though, so better hurry.  Think the OWH would cover these guys? :lol:

Good article:

http://www.journalstar.com/living/relig ... 119428.txt
LJS wrote:Brian Ellis doesn’t believe in God, and he doesn’t want any of the dogmas, rituals or other trappings of religion.

But he and several like-minded friends felt they were missing something by not belonging to a church.

“As non-religious people, we were missing out on the community aspect of the church,” he said.

So they got together last fall and formed Lincoln Secular Humanists, an organization that gives nonbelievers an opportunity to meet and socialize with others who don’t believe in God but do believe in trying to make the world a better place.
-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

If they start an Omaha chapter, I might have to join. :laser:
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I would join for sure!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Same here.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

So shun one part of organized religion to join another organized religion? Just wait until they start taking an offering. :)
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Have they not heard of the Unitarian Universalists?  There are two congregations in Omaha... including the beautiful First Unitarian Church in Midtown. :)

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That used to the the pagan/wiccan church too.
DTO
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

DTO Luv wrote:So shun one part of organized religion to join another organized religion? Just wait until they start taking an offering. :)
My thoughts exactly.

As an agnostic, I've always been puzzled by atheistic organizations. What's the point?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Actually I can think of a very good reason... to rally politically... just as the theists are doing on Sunday mornings.  The 'free thinkers' don't have anywhere near the political unity which the thiests have when election day rolls around.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

edsas wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:So shun one part of organized religion to join another organized religion? Just wait until they start taking an offering. :)
My thoughts exactly.

As an agnostic, I've always been puzzled by atheistic organizations. What's the point?
Atheistic does not equal anarchistic.

Jeff said it pretty well. Who doesn't like being around like-minded individuals?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Stargazer wrote:Actually I can think of a very good reason... to rally politically... just as the theists are doing on Sunday mornings.
Ummm, I don't know what church you've been to on Sunday mornings Jeff, but I've never seen one disguised as a political rally in all my 40+ years.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

icejammer wrote:
Stargazer wrote:Actually I can think of a very good reason... to rally politically... just as the theists are doing on Sunday mornings.
Ummm, I don't know what church you've been to on Sunday mornings Jeff, but I've never seen one disguised as a political rally in all my 40+ years.
Then you haven't been looking hard enough.  I'll buy that the church you've gone to personally isn't involved in those activities, but let's not act like it doesn't exist.

Church disguised as political rally or political rally disguised as church.  Either way, the point (as it pertains to this discussion) remains the same: congregating with like minded individuals.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:The Pastors often told people how to vote.
Turn them in, they will loose their tax exempt status if they tell you how to vote.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:
Turn them in, they will loose their tax exempt status if they tell you how to vote.
WHAAAA???!?!?  You mean separation of church and state even applies to Nebraska?  But this is the Good Life!   :D

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:WHAAAA???!?!?  You mean separation of church and state even applies to Nebraska?
I don't know about the little neighborhood churches ,but the big ones are care full of it.  But every church tells you to call you senator, but more than just churches tell you to do that.

I am about to tell all you to call you senator and tell them to give Omaha more money to hire some extra cops for north O.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:
Really? I didn't know that. This was a pretty big church. Pretty much any Christian event I've been to lately has always pushed some sort of conservative issue. Mainly supporting the war and anything against gay people.

I've always wondered why churches were tax exempt. I seem to remember a verse in the Bible about taxes and Jesus said," Give to Ceaser what is Ceaser's." In other words, pay your taxes.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They usually get around it by saying... "we can't tell you how to vote, but lets say a pray for George Bush, Dick Cheny, Tom Osbern, John Bruning..."  and whoever else they thing you should vote for...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Telling me to call my senator and telling me how to vote - which amounts to endorsing a candidate - are two totally separate things.

And why do you think we need more cops in Norf O?  There was only one shooting per day in July.  Gang violence is for big cities.  This is simple random accidents by good law abiding conceal and carry NRA members.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:And why do you think we need more cops in Norf O?  There was only one shooting per day in July.
Bingo!

31 in 31 and not slowing down in Aug.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

My former neighbor brought home his "Save Marriage! Vote Yes on 416" sign from church... which spurred me for the first in my life to get a yard sign (actually several of them... because people kept vandalizing/stealing them).

Funny thing is... after I moved... he moved, and some how ended up on the same circle as me... living next door to the friendly lesbian couple. :)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Stargazer wrote:My former neighbor brought home his "Save Marriage! Vote Yes on 416" sign from church... which spurred me for the first in my life to get a yard sign (actually several of them... because people kept vandalizing/stealing them).

Funny thing is... after I moved... he moved, and some how ended up on the same circle as me... living next door to the friendly lesbian couple. :)
Well, its good to see West Omaha living up to its reputation for being a hotbad of godless, heathen, liberal commie pinko nutjobs.  ;)

Actually, this brings up another point...

I read an article the other day about some far right groups that send church-goers to courts to keep track of judges and make sure they are sentencing the "proper" way.  I wonder if anyone has organized to have churches watched in the same manner come election time?

-Big E
Stable genius.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Big E wrote:
icejammer wrote:
Then you haven't been looking hard enough.  I'll buy that the church you've gone to personally isn't involved in those activities, but let's not act like it doesn't exist.
I would imagine you're talking about some of the evangelical 'churches', which I wouldn't personally touch with a ten-foot pole.  I hear of very little in the 'mainstream' churches - a lot of 'evangelical' members that I know, in fact, were once 'mainstream' members who bolted when the church governing body would not endorse the view that they had of a political issue (and hence many of the 'mainstream' churches are seen as "liberal").  As someone else said, the larger churches are very careful to not get involved in political issues.  And as someone else said, if the church is telling you how to vote, turn them in, as that is not permitted (if a church wishes to retain tax-exempt status, that is).
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I guess the Catholic church isn't 'mainstream'... huh? :D

Although it's not as if they have to come right out and tell the congregation how to vote... no one is suggesting that.  I think these Sunday morning lemmings can figure that out on their own... all the church needs to do is plant the seeds of homophobia and the like.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Stargazer wrote:. . . all the church needs to do is plant the seeds of homophobia and the like.
Jeff, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I will respectfully disagree with it.  And let's leave it at that.

--William Jennings Bryan
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Swift wrote: Who doesn't like being around like-minded individuals?
Of course. I belong to several organizations of like-minded people and we have a grand-ole time.

But when an organization exists solely to sit around and b*tch about how fundies are ruining America, I don't view that as a positive thing.

For the record, I lean atheistic in my agnosticism, so I'm not coming at this as personally offended. But it's still pretty offputting.

And let's get something straight about Catholics, the abortion issue aside, American Catholics tend to be a Democrat voting block. Not Republican.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

If all the group ever amounts to is whining, then I agree.  If they get organized, get members and get to the polls (as Jeff pointed out), then its a good thing.  Most organized lobbies started out as two individuals "b*tching" about something.  What happened with Person 3 and on is what is important.

As far as the Democrat Catholic demographic...  I can't say I know a Catholic who is also a Democrat or votes Democrat.  (In fairness, all of the Catholics I am aware I know are either related to me or from the Midwest.)

Me...  I could care less what one's religion is.  Just keep it out of my government and I'll keep my government out of your religion.

-Big E
Stable genius.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Fair point about the history of organizations, Big E.

RE: Catholics. Hispanics are a sizable Democrat block and overwhelmingly Catholic. But my Catholic relatives in Nebraska (who are Caucasian) also lean Democrat.

It's not really that surprising when you look at the philosophies of Pope John Paul II. Aside from abortion, his social and economic views landed squarely on the Democrat platform. Ratzinger seems a little more right-wing, granted (especially re: The Middle Eas), but he's not that far removed from his predecesor when it comes down to it.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Also JFK may have something to do with why a lot of Catholics vote Democrat. I know that's why my parents used to be Democrats.

If you want an example of what I think is a typical political Catholic, look no further than Martin Sheen.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I saw a bumper sticker the other day, it said "God is not a Republican"

Personally I think he is not a Democrat either...  

People just need to learn that ALL Political parities are bad, think for yourself, review the facts and make your own educated decision.