White Stripes cancelled

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

White Stripes cancelled

Post by Big E »

Since I couldn't find a thread announcing the show I'm not sure it warrants one announcing the show is cancelled, but anyhoo:

White Stripes Oct 4 @ Pershing in Lincoln is cancelled:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10130564

-Big E
Stable genius.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I don't know if this was in the article or not (I didn't read it), but the rumor I heard from a friend of my who is "in the know" in LA is that Meg White had a breakdown last week.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It is not a rumor:
The White Stripes have called off all forthcoming engagements because Meg White is suffering from "acute anxiety".

On Tuesday the rock duo - Jack and Meg - were forced to cancel their October gigs in the U.S. because of the drummer's condition, apologising to fans for the situation.

But The White Stripes have now announced they are calling off all commitments for the forseeable future.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Rolling Stone magazine named Jack White one of the fifty best guitar players of all time in one of its issues, which propelled me to throw the magazine on the ground and rampantly upset on it.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Good job dude. Maybe Meg's breakdown was because she realized she's a |expletive| drummer.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Not that I'm a big Jack White fan or anything, but as I've said on here before, good musicianship is not how fast your fingers can move, it's knowing when not to play.

That being said, his guitar skills are probably mediocre at best. He does write interesting hooks, though.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Swift wrote:Not that I'm a big Jack White fan or anything, but as I've said on here before, good musicianship is not how fast your fingers can move, it's knowing when not to play.

That being said, his guitar skills are probably mediocre at best. He does write interesting hooks, though.
Being a musician myself I can tell you it IS about how fast you can play AND when not to play. A good musician has a versatile arsenal. A few tricks up your sleeve won't cut it.
DTO
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Being a musician myself I can tell you it IS about how fast you can play AND when not to play.
Having been a musician for about 40 years, and having played guitar in front of thousands of people over the years (and being a critic as well...) It's NEVER about how fast you can play, unless all you want to do is impress adolescent males. (sorry, but it's what I believe). It's more about what you say with your music as opposed to how fast you can say nothing with it.  Give me tone, smart sympathetic notes, surprising twists and snappy hooks any day over hyper-arpeggios.

Just my humble opinion.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm not saying play 64th notes is the end all be all. If saying use anything and everything to get the desired affect.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Linkin5 wrote:Rolling Stone magazine named Jack White one of the fifty best guitar players of all time in one of its issues.
Not just one of the top 50 but #17.

1 Jimi Hendrix
2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
3 B.B. King
4 Eric Clapton
5 Robert Johnson
6 Chuck Berry
7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
8 Ry Cooder
9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
11 Kirk Hammett of Metallica
12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
14 Jeff Beck
15 Carlos Santana
16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
17 Jack White of the White Stripes
18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
19 Richard Thompson
20 James Burton
21 George Harrison
22 Mike Bloomfield
23 Warren Haynes
24 The Edge of U2
25 Freddy King
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

hahahahahahahaha "The edge" from U2 made the list also.  How big of a girly bag to you have to be to call yourself "the edge."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Holy smokes...  I've seen 5 of the top 11 in person.  Not bad for a kid from West O!

-Big E
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

For the 17th spot, Jack White also barely edged out Will Johnson, a Guitar Hero II master from Cleveland.

Oh, hold on...Jack White, Jack Black, Dick York, Dick Sergeant, Sergeant York - Wow that's weird.