Chambers Sues God

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:Bruning,is however, our Attorney General. He is supposed to act as our moral compass and his job is to spend money to "prove points".
That couldn't be further from the reality of what a state's attorney general office is supposed to do.  They are legal advisors to the state's courts and law enforcement offices, and should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be involved in steering policy.  In fact, at no point should the office ever have an opinion on an issue aside from whether or not it is legal.

When a State Attorney General wastes taxpayers time spearheading an effort to pass legislation that he openly admitted knowing would have no chance of standing up to Constitutional scrutiny, he should be thrown out of office or in jail.  

And ultimately, if you have to elect people to be your moral compass...  holy moly.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:
S33 wrote:Bruning,is however, our Attorney General. He is supposed to act as our moral compass and his job is to spend money to "prove points".
That couldn't be further from the reality of what a state's attorney general office is supposed to do.  They are legal advisors to the state's courts and law enforcement offices, and should NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER be involved in steering policy.  In fact, at no point should the office ever have an opinion on an issue aside from whether or not it is legal.

When a State Attorney General wastes taxpayers time spearheading an effort to pass legislation that he openly admitted knowing would have no chance of standing up to Constitutional scrutiny, he should be thrown out of office or in jail.  

And ultimately, if you have to elect people to be your moral compass...  holy moly.
Oh, come on. We both know damn well Attorney Generals aren't just attorneys and they don't always just serve as government legal advisors. They are in fact very similar to that of the Justice Department which enforces and "steers" policy.

Big E, lets agree to disagree and simply agree on one thing, you would dispute any topic as long as you get a chance to read your own typing.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:Oh, come on. We both know darn well Attorney Generals aren't just attorneys and they don't always just serve as government legal advisors. They are in fact very similar to that of the Justice Department which enforces and "steers" policy.
What they DO and what they are SUPPOSED TO DO are obviously two different things.  Some people are OK with that.  I'm not.
S33 wrote:you would dispute any topic as long as you get a chance to read your own typing.
This coming from the guy that dug up the five week old thread to dispute it.

I know I've always found that the best discussion forums are the ones where people don't discuss anything.
Stable genius.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I'd like to take a moment and thank Jon Bruning and Dave Heinamen for taking a stance for the entire state of Nebraska, by taking a stance and enforcing their belief systems onto the entire state of Nebraska.. I may now rest easy at night knowing that the morals of the bible are being implemented into our state more and more into our government by the week..

I can't wait until they take out the big bang and evolution out of our science class and put genesis through exodus in there...  Atoms?  atoms are a trick of the devil, everything is a combination of God particles and angel kisses..

I can hear the angels sing right now.. Maybe if we all took out a small amount of time and put our hands 'in cup form' over our ears.. maybe you all will hear it too..

Also, maybe they can lure Oral Roberts university to build a campus in Omaha so they can convert the 'liberals' into sainthood..
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

You said oral.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:
S33 wrote:Oh, come on. We both know darn well Attorney Generals aren't just attorneys and they don't always just serve as government legal advisors. They are in fact very similar to that of the Justice Department which enforces and "steers" policy.
What they DO and what they are SUPPOSED TO DO are obviously two different things.  Some people are OK with that.  I'm not.
S33 wrote:you would dispute any topic as long as you get a chance to read your own typing.
This coming from the guy that dug up the five week old thread to dispute it.

I know I've always found that the best discussion forums are the ones where people don't discuss anything.
Sorry, just stumbled over your lousy rebuttal as of yesterday.

Maybe there should be a feature on these forums that renders 5 week old threads as inactive?

Also,

"What they DO and what they are SUPPOSED TO DO are obviously two different things"
There roles can vary from state to state and that IS what they are supposed to do in some states.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10460511
You can't sue God if you can't serve the papers on him, a Douglas County District Court judge ruled in Omaha Tuesday.

Judge Marlon Polk threw out Nebraska Sen. Ernie Chambers' lawsuit against the Almighty, saying there was no evidence that the defendant had been served. What's more, Polk found "there can never be service effectuated on the named defendant."

"If God is omnipresent," Chambers said in that August hearing, "then he is here in Douglas County and in this courtroom."

Polk was not persuaded.
A Nebraska judge disproves the existence of God.  Didn't see that one coming. :;):
Stable genius.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Chambers intended to appeal to a higher court:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10480271
This morning, Chambers filed notice that he intends to appeal a judge's dismissal of his lawsuit against God.

Douglas County District Judge Marlon Polk had dismissed the lawsuit in October, saying there was no evidence that the defendant had been served. What's more, Polk said, "There can never be service effectuated on the named defendant."

In his notice of appeal, Chambers argues that the very court he is appealing to acknowledges the Almighty.

Chambers quotes the invocation read each time Nebraska Supreme Court judges enter court: "God save the United States and this Honorable Court."
Whether you agree or disagree, my brutha has a valid point in all of this.
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Maybe we should ban talk about religion and politics for a while.  :;):
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Maybe we should ban talk about religion and politics for a while.  :;):
YES, PLEASE!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

No need to start another Ernie Thread, so I'll just tack it on here:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10520612
Term limits soon will send the 71-year-old Omaha lawmaker into a forced retirement. With Chambers gone, senators and lobbyists say, they expect several proposals blocked by him to return to the legislative floor.

Those include allowing the use of cameras in issuing tickets for running red lights, making the failure to wear a seat belt a primary offense and anti-abortion legislation.

"There are a lot of groups that feel like a kid in a candy shop right now," said Julie Schmit-Albin, executive director of Nebraska Right to Life, which Chambers battled ferociously.

"I'm pretty sure we'll have our adversaries. They just might not be as skillful as Senator Chambers."

Legislative Speaker Mike Flood of Norfolk doesn't expect a feeding frenzy of Chambers-killed bills in the upcoming session. "Just because Senator Chambers is going, it doesn't mean it will be an all-you-can-eat buffet," Flood said.
I'm worried what stupid legislation is going to pass by without Ernie keeping the mouth-breathers in check.
Stable genius.