Retail

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

formeromahan
New to the Neighborhood

Retail

Post by formeromahan »

Hey Everyone,
I haven't been to Lincoln for quite a while, anyone know of any big retail projects going on? Or any interesting happenings?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

There is a new super target opening on South 40th street, many new retail stores are opening up in DTL from about 11th-15th and P street.  Westfield shopping center (gateway) expanded with new stores, southpointe and the area around it out on South 27th add new stores every year.

http://www.lincoln.ne.gov/city/plan/dt_ ... _pres2.pdf
The link above shows the continuing effort by the city and planners to really make P street one of the main retail locations in Lincoln, which if done right will be awesome.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

What are some of the new stores to open up downtown?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Probably the biggest, which I'm surprised wasn't mentioned, is the new 1,000,000+ sqft shopping center under construction in southwest Lincoln at Hwy 77 and Denton roads.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

almighty_tuna wrote:Probably the biggest, which I'm surprised wasn't mentioned, is the new 1,000,000+ sqft shopping center under construction in southwest Lincoln at Hwy 77 and Denton roads.
I'm in Lincoln fairly often and I haven't heard of this shopping center. Do you have any details, or a web-site or something?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Yeah I had heard some stuff about this mall going up about four years ago, but didn't know if it was for sure or not?  Are there any websites for this or do you know what the mall will be named?
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

the irony is biting...

...anyway, it's being developed by Dial Corp and called Southwest Village.  The plan is for 1.3M sqft with 150 townhomes.  Upgrades to the local road system are actually being performed right now.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5, what are some of the new stores downtown?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

wellllllll streets,
There has been a berkenstock shop added in the past few years, right next to a  new bicycle shop.  Along with this there is also a new store name "Tsuru which is a  japanese american clothing store.  Sunny's botquige has opened, Stellas has opened.  The Black exchange opened which is on the first level of the old gold's building.  "My Modern Life" opened (childrens clothing.)  Other stores that are spawning these new retail stores are stores such as spindle records (a record store with EXTREMELY reasonable prices on music,) with an art store right next to it, A Novel Idea (A book store in the same corridor.)  The other STORE which has led the way is most definitely post and nickel, it has been a pioneer in clothing retail downtown.  To add to this the fantastic sub shop "erbert and gerberts has opened downtown in the old (newer?!) location.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Also Douglas Theater opened a new downtown location in the area of 10-11th and P Street. The other interesting thing that has occurred recently is that Lincoln city planners have come up with a strange idea of placing retail bays on the lower level of parking garages. Being from Omaha, I have to tell you that this struck me as really awkward.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Whoa sorry I wrote my previous post when I was drunk last night.  Some of it makes no sense.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

BTW, I'm friend-of-a-friend of the folks that opened Stella's.  It's a few sisters in their 20s and 30s.  Do what you can to support them.  Omaha and Lincoln (and especially the downtowns) need businesses like this to thrive.

-Big E
Stable genius.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Big E - are they sisters or sistas?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

'Ers.

Do you only support "'Ahs" owned businesses?   :;):

-Big E
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That all sounds great, Linkin.

Although, some of the stores you mentioned were there when I was a freshman four years ago.  I was thinking more recent openings.  Anyway, it sounds like there are definitely some new, independently owned shops, which is always good.