Larry the Cable Guy plans July 4 show at Memorial Stadium

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Larry the Cable Guy plans July 4 show at Memorial Stadium

Post by nebugeater »

All jokes aside it will be interesting to see how this draws and how they set this up for a show.  What kind of seating capacity will they use?

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/200 ... 368956.txt

Larry the Cable Guy, whose blue collar comedy made him famous, plans a red, white and blue thank you for Husker fans at Memorial Stadium on the Fourth of July.

The comedian from Pawnee City is in negotiations with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln athletic department, according to athletic director Tom Osborne.

Larry, aka Dan Whitney, is an avid Husker supporter and owns one of Memorial Stadium’s skyboxes. He also has a home just outside of Lincoln.

Once details have been hammered out between Larry and UNL, a performance time and ticket prices will be announced.

“Dan is one of our most recognized suite owners in football, one of our biggest overall fans and a generous contributor to our athletic department,” Osborne said in a statement. “We very much appreciate his willingness to make time in his extremely busy schedule to provide a concert for our fans.”

Larry announced the gig Monday morning on radio’s “Todd and Tyler Show” in Omaha and the syndicated “Bob and Tom Show.”  

He told the morning show hosts he plans to use the proceeds from the July 4 concert to benefit his new charity, the Git R Done Foundation, which will help children who suffer from hip dysplasia — something his son, Wyatt, was born with in August 2006.

..............................Larry’s show will be the first stadium concert in Lincoln since Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson performed at Haymarket Park in August 2004 and the first at Memorial Stadium since Farm Aid III in 1987...........................
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

'Cable Guy's' performance not a deal yet, NU says

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10583362
AP on http://www.omaha.com wrote:LINCOLN (AP) — Larry the Cable Guy didn’t “git-r-done’’ yet, as far as a July 4 performance in Lincoln is concerned.

The Nebraska-native comedian, whose real name is Dan Whitney, announced Monday on a syndicated radio (Todd and Tyler) program that he hopes to draw 60,000 people to a show at Memorial Stadium.

But Nebraska Athletic Director Tom Osborne said Tuesday that the athletic department and university administration have not given their approval for Memorial Stadium to be used for the show.

Osborne says he’s open to negotiations with a promoter for the show, but no agreements have been made on financial details and program content.

Whitney is a longtime Cornhusker supporter. He owns a skybox at the stadium.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Program content?  

What?  Did Barack Obama take money from him 30 years ago or something?
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Probably because he cusses a lot and TO is just too holy to let that talk fly at Memorial Stadium.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:Probably because he cusses a lot and TO is just too holy to let that talk fly at Memorial Stadium.
He cusses a lot?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It seems to me the times I've heard him. If not than I'm sure TO isn't going to find jokes about incest too funny.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:It seems to me the times I've heard him. If not than I'm sure TO isn't going to find jokes about incest too funny.
They are talking about it on the Radio.  Just like I thought he does a mostly clean show (may be the occasional s-bomb), They are speculating they they are financial concerns.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Clean as in no cussing?
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Who cares? I thought this guys 15 minutes of fame should been up LONG ago.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

the1wags wrote:Who cares? I thought this guys 15 minutes of fame should been up LONG ago.
Yeah, not to be a stick in the mud, but I just don't "get it" WRT this Larry The Cable Guy thing. :(
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Todd & Tyler were bagging on TO today for not just doing it, calling him out on the "cleanliness" of the act.  Saying that since Larry the cable guy is such a good supporter, and would sell out memorial (only to give proceeds to charity) and should just get it done...no pun intended.
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

thenewguy wrote:Todd & Tyler were bagging on TO today for not just doing it, calling him out on the "cleanliness" of the act.  Saying that since Larry the cable guy is such a good supporter, and would sell out memorial (only to give proceeds to charity) and should just get it done...no pun intended.
Todd & Tyler are still on the air ????  :;):
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Never liked him, especially after watching many of his clips from before he started doing his larry character.  Heres a clip, there are several on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIWO5LgUZ28
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

'Cable Guy' and UNL agree on July 4 show

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10604187
www.omaha.com wrote:LINCOLN - Comedian Dan Whitney, known as "Larry the Cable Guy," will perform in Memorial Stadium on July 4.

While Memorial Stadium is not generally used for nonathletic events, the University of Nebraska athletic department is sponsoring the show as a way for Whitney and the athletic department to thank Husker fans for their support, an NU spokesman said.

"The $4 ticket price, coupled with a $2 handling charge per ticket, will mean that the event is priced at a break-even level for Larry the Cable Guy and Nebraska athletics," Athletic Director Tom Osborne said today in a statement. "Nearly all revenues will be absorbed by the cost of setting up the event and distributing tickets.
www.omaha.com wrote: • Nebraska football season ticket holders will have first opportunity to purchase tickets from Tuesday to Thursday. Season ticket holders will need to sign in to their accounts online at Huskers.com before purchasing.
• All purchasers, including season ticket holders, will be limited to eight tickets per household. This limit will be strictly enforced. Any orders exceeding eight will be refunded at $4 per ticket.
• Tickets are $4 each plus a $2 handling fee per ticket. Parking, at $3 per stall, will be provided and cashiered by UNL Parking Services.
• All seats are reserved, and about 10,000 seats will be set up on the field.
• On Friday, tickets will be sold to the general public.
• Officials warn that the mature content may not be suitable for all ages. The event is being taped for broadcast by Comedy Central, and attendance will be deemed as consent to be filmed.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:The event is being taped for broadcast by Comedy Central, and attendance will be deemed as consent to be filmed.
So are they going for some kind of stand-up comedy stadium attendance record?

To think... people were worried what Tommy Lee would do to the state and university's image...
Stable genius.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Brad wrote:
www.omaha.com wrote: • Nebraska football season ticket holders will have first opportunity to purchase tickets from Tuesday to Thursday. Season ticket holders will need to sign in to their accounts online at Huskers.com before purchasing.
This is NOT FAIR. Husker season ticket holders will buy all the tickets and the general public will be left out in the cold. The public pulse will receive tons of letters bashing UNL and Memorial Stadium for this so be prepared. This is Nebraska's stadium, the general public should be offered tickets.

:roll:

Sound familiar? this is what people sounded like when Creighton season ticket holders bought all the NCAA tickets, and rightfully had the opportunity to do so.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Brad wrote:
This is NOT FAIR. Husker season ticket holders will buy all the tickets and the general public will be left out in the cold. The public pulse will receive tons of letters bashing UNL and Memorial Stadium for this so be prepared. This is Nebraska's stadium, the general public should be offered tickets.

Sound familiar? this is what people sounded like when Creighton season ticket holders bought all the NCAA tickets, and rightfully had the opportunity to do so.
Do you intentionally misunderstand things to start arguments or are you just that |expletive| dense?

No one said a word about Creighton fans being offered the initial batch of NCAA tickets.  As the host school, they deserved them.  People were rightfully peeved when the Creighton "fans" didn't buy them all on the first offer, and Creighton didn't offer the remainder to the general public.  That's it.  That was the absolute entirety of the argument.

Besides, this is apples and oranges.  It isn't even a sporting event.  It's an obvious attempt to get 85K in the stands for the Comedy Central TV cameras.  On top of that, they're only getting first crack at the tickets, and even then for only two days.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow... the one time I get the sarcasm you don't?  

The article says 50K.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:Wow... the one time I get the sarcasm you don't?
I get the sarcasm.  I'm pointing out that it's baseless sarcasm.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

1/4 of the posts on this forum seem to be baseless...  

But in all fairness, Creighton did take all of them and people were calling the sports radio shows for days completely bent that they didn't have the opportunity to buy them.  But like every other sold out event in town... it was not hard to find tickets.

I don't really care, as is the example here, what goes around, comes around.  Once UNO's biggest fan Tom the pipe layer makes it big, they can have their "own" show too.

Even if someone gave me free tickets to the show, the next time I will be in Memorial stadium will be Football Season, not on the 4th of July.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Big E wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:
Brad wrote:

Do you intentionally misunderstand things to start arguments or are you just that |expletive| dense?

No one said a word about Creighton fans being offered the initial batch of NCAA tickets.  As the host school, they deserved them.  People were rightfully peeved when the Creighton "fans" didn't buy them all on the first offer, and Creighton didn't offer the remainder to the general public.  That's it.  That was the absolute entirety of the argument.

Besides, this is apples and oranges.  It isn't even a sporting event.  It's an obvious attempt to get 85K in the stands for the Comedy Central TV cameras.  On top of that, they're only getting first crack at the tickets, and even then for only two days.
Haha  the sarcasm went right over you there didn't it Big E. I would not waste 6 dollars to go see a man in a cut off shirt tell fart and redneck jokes for 2 hours. heck if someone gave me free tickets I would not go. I could care less that Husker fans get all the tickets, I think its cool they can laugh at jokes that are made about them. But I do wonder if Doc Sadler gets made when he makes fun of rednecks.

By the way did you just miss the sarcasm or are you that |expletive| dense?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i'm assuming he got it, just didn't feel like joking about it :;):

And i heard that Larry the Cable Guy was also donating money to charities from this event.  I don't know every detail, but i heard there was going to be a little profit left over, to which he would donate.  I guess he does a lot of good, silent charity work.
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Per radio reports this AM ( Wed) on KFAB  just under 1/2 of the 50,000 tickets were sold yesterday on the first day of sales.   Never have heard what the split is for the season ticket holder allotment if it was even announced.   I guessing that it will be a sell out.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Per the Lincoln Journal it looks like this has sold well.  Will be interesting to see what the attendance is since as the seats are priced I bet some people have over bought and will not show up.

From Thursday June 25th
http://journalstar.com/articles/2009/06 ... 095900.txt

Larry the Cable Guy

Memorial Stadium

About 1,500 tickets ($6 each) to his comedy show — 7:30 p.m. Saturday, July 4 — were still available midday Thursday.

* Call the NU Ticket Office at 800-824-4733 or 402-472-3111.

* Reserve $4 pre-paid parking at lincoln.ne.gov or parkitdowntown.org. for Haymarket Parking Garage, Ninth and Q; Market Place, 10th and Q; Que Place, 11th and Q.

Also, the city will offer $5 parking starting at 3 p.m. at those garages — and these: Iron Horse lot, Seventh and Q; 14th and Q lot; 13th and P lot; University Square Garage, 101 N. 14th St.; and 711 O St.

* Lincoln police will step up patrols downtown and in the Haymarket, focusing on illegal tailgating and liquor violations. Police recommend fans arrive at the stadium by 6 p.m.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

IF you are interested:

The video / TV portion of the Larry The Cable Guy Show from July 4th in Lincoln will be on Comedy Central for the First time on Sunday night January 31 @ 8 Central

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_schedul ... &year=2010
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebugeater wrote:IF you are interested:

The video / TV portion of the Larry The Cable Guy Show from July 4th in Lincoln will be on Comedy Central for the First time on Sunday night January 31 @ 8 Central

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_schedul ... &year=2010
Neebraskuhs gon look real classy on that picture screen!