Downtown lincoln in 2025

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Will
Library Board

Post by Will »

along I80 heading west to lincoln, I like to think that the western edge of omaha metro is the hwy 6 exit #432. I also like to think that the eastern edge of the lincoln metro is where waverly begains about a mile from the waverly exit #409.

432-409=23.

so accrding to my guess there is about 20 to 25 miles that seprate omaha from lincoln. When I was born (1975) the town of elkhorn was about 10 miles west of omaha. In 30 years the two have grown togeather. There is almost non stop houses between the two areas.

I think that in the next 20 years the omaha metro will past the platte river IMO.
Go west young man.
West2Omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by West2Omaha »

COUNT....awesome post, good work.

Will, there is ZERO seperation, look at pacfic street. I also think that we will reach the platte long before 2030.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I lived in Lincoln in 1987. I stayed their for a few weeks with my uncles in 2002 when I ran away. And I have been to Lincoln enough times because of family to know the place well.
DTO
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I never lived in Lincoln but my grandparents did and we spent many weekends down there while growing up. Not to mention trips to Husker games and trips to Lincoln bars for a change of scene. I have always liked Lincoln. I think they have many beautiful tree-lined boulevards, a nice clean downtown, great new development guidelines as witnessed by new development to the southeast around Old Cheney and an up-and-coming Haymarket District. I think it just needs to expand but they have done a great job rehabbing the historic buildings and keeping the docks intact to be utilized as outdoor seating areas. I can't wait to see the Antelope Valley project come to fruition and how it helps the easter side of UNL.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

It will provide many places to hide eggs! Beware of traffic.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Having recently spent the night in Lincoln, here's my current assessement.

Yes, Lincoln is not ALL bad.

It somehow is kind of an equal mix of the following:

A polished capitol city.
A drunken college town.
An urban ghetto.
A small farming community.

I suppose Lincoln sort of never fails to surprise me in its resilience to commit to an identity. What is it? :)
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Funny... I think someone from KC said the same thing about Omaha (not ALL bad). Perhaps it's all relative... within our own perceptions of what is important that is.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Lincoln IS inferior to Omaha. Hello! And Omaha IS inferior to KC. And KC IS inferior to Boston. And Boston IS inferior to NYC...

It's all relative.
Blah, blah blah. And NYC IS the center of the universe because of all the skyscrapers. Actually, Chicago has more, but you didn't show there place on this all-important list. I'm curious as to your methodology because I sure wouldn't want to live in NYC. Don't forget all of the crime, traffic, pollution, etc.

DC is a great urban city but what...not enough skyscrapers?
Sodak
Home Owners Association

Post by Sodak »

I've never lived in Lincoln but I certainly have visited and have enjoyed Husker games, state museums and the Haymarket area. They also have an outstanding CHildren's Museum. But from an objective standpoint, its downtown should be a lot better. The downtown has the university and the Capitol employment and activity to draw from. Needless to say it has a long way to go. More green space and trees would be a start.

We should have high expectations for our capitol city. After all, the state has entrusted it with nearly all of our major governmental employment and educational activities, not to mention the state fair.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

Maybe when the metropolitan area tops 1 million this whole inferiority complex/tower envy syndrom will subside.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I doubt it because then we will STILL be inferior to all those at 5 million or more...........all the way to New York. :roll:
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

I guess every city has it in one form or another.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

Downtown Lincoln takes another step towards its goals.

http://journalstar.com/articles/2004/12 ... 155275.txt
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

At least someone is bullish on Lincoln. I moved there for about a year in 1999, and I really enjoyed it. It's a clean, moderate sized community. I also had lots of fun there too. Also, the article states that the Embassy Suites is 7 years old, it didn't open until after I left in November of 1999. So it's more like 5 years old. The LJS isn't a very accurate newspaper.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I've always been a fan of Lincoln. I avoided posting here because I really didn't want to "get into it". But the Lincoln bashing seems to have died down now.

Speaking of relativity, there is no point in comparing Omaha and Lincoln. To judge Lincoln, you must hold it up against other metros in the 200,000 to 300,000 range. In that category, Lincoln is one of the best cities in America. It is compact, cultural, diverse and has a vibrant downtown. Traffic management is really the only thing I see wrong with the city, but they are working on it. The Antelope Valley project addresses this issue, as will the outer belt project. But even the traffic problem is merely a sign of a healty and steadily growing city.

As for Lincoln's shortcomings when compared to Omaha. Forget it. This is like trying to hold a 3rd grader up to the standards of an 8th grader. But when looked at among their peers, both Omaha and Lincoln are at the top of their class.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Well said edsas and I agree.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

I also think Des Moines is at the top of the 500,000 class. The Lincoln to Des Moines corridor has a lot to be proud of. The only thing the region lacks is proper national recognition.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Well said edsas and I agree.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Ingersoll1978 wrote: Also, the article states that the Embassy Suites is 7 years old, it didn't open until after I left in November of 1999. So it's more like 5 years old. The LJS isn't a very accurate newspaper.
Lincoln Journal Star wrote:"...certainly since he built the Embassy Suites at a cost of $32 million five years ago."
Wha-hey? :?:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Finn wrote:
Lincoln IS inferior to Omaha. Hello! And Omaha IS inferior to KC. And KC IS inferior to Boston. And Boston IS inferior to NYC...

It's all relative.
Blah, blah blah. And NYC IS the center of the universe because of all the skyscrapers. Actually, Chicago has more, but you didn't show there place on this all-important list. I'm curious as to your methodology because I sure wouldn't want to live in NYC. Don't forget all of the crime, traffic, pollution, etc.

DC is a great urban city but what...not enough skyscrapers?
Whoah. Settle down there fella. I was just making an example, mostly referring to population and cultural offerings. I don't know where you came up with skyscrapers as a criteria, but speaking of that, no, Chicago does not have more than NYC. Hello.

But yeah, the point is simply that it's all relative. In fact. That's almost all you need to know in life. It's all relative.

Anyway, I've been to Chicago and DC and love them both.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Streets wrote:
I don't know where you came up with skyscrapers as a criteria
I got that from every other post of yours!