Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Linkin5
County Board

$45 Million Hotel Proposed For Downtown

Post by Linkin5 »

From Journalstar.com-

http://www.journalstar.com/news/local/d ... 517118.txt

This project will be located on the surface lot across from the Golds Building, I have always wondered why this lot never got developed.  It is bounded by M, N, 10th, and 11th streets.

Plan includes

-6 to 8 stories
-Hotel
-120 rental units
-parking facility for 500 to 600 vehicles
-restaurant/entertainment complex
-a rock climbing wall on the main floor which is visible to pedestrians
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's some good news in this economy.

The article also says it will include retail and apartments.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Terrific announcement! I'm so glad something's not getting torn down, too. This is great infill. Looking forward to renderings.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I agree, this should be exciting for Lincoln.
where the corn meets the concrete
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

Downtown Hotel Project Back On
The proposed $45 million downtown conversion of a parking lot to a hotel, garage and apartments is back on track after the Lincoln City Council approved a revised site plan on Monday.

The block bordered by M, N, 10th and 11th streets is now a parking lot owned by Randy Acher, who wants to develop it into apartments, a parking garage, and, eventually, a hotel.

Late last month, the council tabled the project because it didn't conform to the city's Downtown Master Plan, which calls for any new development to include an expanded, pedestrian-friendly M Street on what would be the hotel's doorstep. The council ordered the city and developers to go back to the drawing table.

They returned with a plan that does not heed the master plan exactly, but does provide more green space, with room for a promenade on M Street.

The master plan would have required the developer to give up 50 feet of property so the city could create so-called "park blocks." That's not going to happen, but a "slip road" next to the hotel was eliminated, giving the city 30 more feet to create a pedestrian-friendly street with a double row of trees.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

City Council Approves Downtown Development
After weeks of delays and debate, the Lincoln City Council gave unanimous approval Monday to a $30 million downtown redevelopment of a parking lot into a hotel, apartments, entertainment center and parking garage.

The council approved $4.4 million in tax increment financing for the project on the block bounded by 10th, 11th, M and N streets, but not before tightening up the agreement to protect the city's interests.
The owner of the block, Randy Acher, plans a 110-room hotel, a two-floor entertainment center akin to a Dave & Buster's, 110 apartments and retail on the ground floor.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Is there not a rendering for this yet? None of the three links feature renderings.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

There is a gray and white rendering in the LJS print edition. Essentially, the rendering shows two 6-8 story buildings parallel to one another with a plaza/parking in the middle. I believe that the Hotel will stretch along N Street and the Apartment building will stretch along M Street. Both buildings will have first floor retail/restaurant space. A nice change from the street to street parking lot that is currently on the site.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I waited a bit to comment on this project but I guess I have a little bit more time so I will...

The DLA (Downtown Lincoln Association) came out against this project citing problems with parking (surface parking) and that it did not fit with downtown masterplan.

Before this evaluation I really had believed that the DLA had the best interests of Lincoln in mind, but after reading their reasoning for the denial of this project it had me wondering whether they were protecting the downtown or their pocketbooks.

The first issue they had with this project is that it would take away surface parking lots from downtown.  Which as an advocate for a downtown area I cannot believe is even possible because it would seem as though eliminating these surface lots would be priority number one.  The other issue they had is that a hotel did not fit in this area with downtown master plan which got me thinking that maybe some of these members were mad that someone jumped the gun on a location that they would not be part of.  

All of this is speculation but I really found it odd that the DLA would be against a project that would boost downtown Lincoln tremendously.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Linkin5 wrote:I waited a bit to comment on this project but I guess I have a little bit more time so I will...

The DLA (Downtown Lincoln Association) came out against this project citing problems with parking (surface parking) and that it did not fit with downtown masterplan.

Before this evaluation I really had believed that the DLA had the best interests of Lincoln in mind, but after reading their reasoning for the denial of this project it had me wondering whether they were protecting the downtown or their pocketbooks.

The first issue they had with this project is that it would take away surface parking lots from downtown.  Which as an advocate for a downtown area I cannot believe is even possible because it would seem as though eliminating these surface lots would be priority number one.  The other issue they had is that a hotel did not fit in this area with downtown master plan which got me thinking that maybe some of these members were mad that someone jumped the gun on a location that they would not be part of.  

All of this is speculation but I really found it odd that the DLA would be against a project that would boost downtown Lincoln tremendously.
I suppose it would be an accurate statement that it did not fit into their downtown plan. From what I can tell, given the last few decades, the plan has been to do nothing.

I think you may be right, they possibly weren't included for any vested contributions in the project.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Linkin5 wrote:Before this evaluation I really had believed that the DLA had the best interests of Lincoln in mind, but after reading their reasoning for the denial of this project it had me wondering whether they were protecting the downtown or their pocketbooks.

The first issue they had with this project is that it would take away surface parking lots from downtown.  Which as an advocate for a downtown area I cannot believe is even possible because it would seem as though eliminating these surface lots would be priority number one.
I can definitely understand your frustration. This sounds a lot like what happened with TD Ameritrade Park and the Qwest Center. Granted, the MECA board is hardly on a level of the DLA in terms of needing to look for the best interests of Downtown as a whole, but still.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is a different project, but I didn't think it deserved its own thread.

http://journalstar.com/business/local/a ... mode=story
Excavation has begun on the new 155-room Courtyard by Marriott hotel on the northeast corner of Eighth and R streets.  
The hotel is being built by WRK of Lincoln and Woodbury. Those companies are also doing the private development associated with the West Haymarket arena nearby.  Woodbury's hospitality division will manage the hotel WRK will lease and manage 5,700 square feet of first-floor retail space, said WRK spokesman Devon Seacrest.

I think it looks like Lincoln's own JLofts building.  It will have a nice presence in the Haymarket, I can't wait to see it start to get off the ground.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I love the design of this place, it will fit in perfectly with the area.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:I love the design of this place, it will fit in perfectly with the area.
One floor up.  By the way there about half a dozen cranes up in DTL right now.  It is pretty cool.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:I love the design of this place, it will fit in perfectly with the area.
One floor up.  By the way there about half a dozen cranes up in DTL right now.  It is pretty cool.
I know its awesome!  According to the LJS article there is a total of 5 cranes in DTL right now ranging from 150-250 ft for the three projects Urban 38 (10 story building), the new Marriot (six stories), the arena, and Memorial stadium expansion.  I'm going to the game Saturday so I can't wait to see how everything looks.  I am horrible about taking pictures but I may be able to this time.
Linkin5
County Board

B

Post by Linkin5 »

The building is topped off and will be a great addition to the Haymarket.   It's crazy how fast the Haymarket is extending its boundaries.