Omaha vs Lincoln - LJS

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Brad, nebugeater, Coyote, Omaha Cowboy

User avatar
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1292
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:39 am
Location: New York City..Soon To Be Omaha
Contact:

Postby guitarguy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 pm

Ugh.. its getting sickening with all of this hate being thrown at Stothert. At least let her get situated into office first before condemning her to being the worst mayor of all time...

Anyways, its articles like this that keep the clear distinction between Omaha and Lincoln alive and well... for many years I have personally felt that Omaha/Lincoln area has become a wider area of influence and have become more of a twin cities situation more than two completely different cities...I believe there is only 25 miles space between the outskirts of Omaha and Lincoln. They would not have widened I80 between Omaha and Lincoln to 3 lanes the whole way if the two cities didn't feed off each other in a major way.

-adam

User avatar
jessep28
Planning Board
Posts: 2288
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:10 pm
Location: Omaha Metro Area

Postby jessep28 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:31 pm

guitarguy wrote:Ugh.. its getting sickening with all of this hate being thrown at Stothert. At least let her get situated into office first before condemning her to being the worst mayor of all time...

Anyways, its articles like this that keep the clear distinction between Omaha and Lincoln alive and well... for many years I have personally felt that Omaha/Lincoln area has become a wider area of influence and have become more of a twin cities situation more than two completely different cities...I believe there is only 25 miles space between the outskirts of Omaha and Lincoln. They would not have widened I80 between Omaha and Lincoln to 3 lanes the whole way if the two cities didn't feed off each other in a major way.

-adam


I don't know how you define outskirts, but if you count Gretna to Waverly, 25 miles sounds about accurate.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum

Linkin5
County Board
Posts: 3758
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:59 pm

Postby Linkin5 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:10 pm

darn I hate this thread.

NovakOmaha
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:00 pm
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan

Postby NovakOmaha » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Linkin5 wrote:darn I hate this thread.


The alternative to Lincoln vs Omaha is Lincoln and Omaha join to bid for big sporting events, big conventions, etc.  I think Mr. Walton was playing to some of his audience.  Poll 1000 Omaha & Lincoln citizens and you'll find the vast majority have no problem with either city.  The minority is just a lot more vocal about it.  

Wait a week & everyone will have forgotten about it.

I'll add this:
Why compare the two?  I live in suburban Detroit and just down the road is a college town called Ann Arbor.  Try comparing the two.  Ann Arbor is a great college town with a ton of high tech companies.  I never hear anyone here comparing Ann Arbor & Detroit.  Actually the two are closer mileage-wise than Omaha & Lincoln.  The truth is that people here save their venom for the entire state of Ohio and especially Columbus.  

Why not exploit the synergies Omaha and Lincoln share?  Why not celebrate the differences between the two?  In high school we drove to Lincoln just to eat at Valentinos before they came to Omaha.  We drove past Rose Loge, Cliffs and others to eat at Lee's Chicken.  Take away the Omaha fans and you can fit the remaining fans in Memorial Stadium in, well, a much smaller stadium.  On the other hand, how many of the 4.2 Million people using Eppley are from Lincoln?  Why must "some" people feel the need to find fault with Omaha or Lincoln.  Yep Lincoln is smaller.  Get over it.  Yep there is some crime in Omaha.  It isn't a war zone.  Gee, there's crime in Detroit but not much at all in my neighborhood...AND we take the kids downtown all the time.  Yep, there's more traffic in Omaha but try to cross Lincoln at rush hour.   Again, exploit the synergies and watch what can happen to both cities.
Last edited by NovakOmaha on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
S33
County Board
Posts: 4547
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Postby S33 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 pm

I don't even know how you are supposed to draw any sort of comparison between the two. They're really nothing alike, and both have attributes the other will never have.

Lincoln, being the state capitol and major university town, and Omaha being much more of a major city, and everything that comes along with that. The guy was just doing some vintage trolling, via newspaper.
Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. - Winston Churchill

nativeomahan
Planning Board
Posts: 3417
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:46 pm
Location: Omaha

Postby nativeomahan » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:57 pm

OMG, we used to drive to Lincoln on Friday nights just to eat at Valentino's Pizza too!  Back in the 1970s, when I was in high school and Valentino's made perfect pizza.

Steve
New to the Neighborhood
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Lincoln

Postby Steve » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:11 am

NovakOmaha wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:darn I hate this thread.


The alternative to Lincoln vs Omaha is Lincoln and Omaha join to bid for big sporting events, big conventions, etc.  I think Mr. Walton was playing to some of his audience.  Poll 1000 Omaha & Lincoln citizens and you'll find the vast majority have no problem with either city.  The minority is just a lot more vocal about it.  

Wait a week & everyone will have forgotten about it.

I'll add this:
Why compare the two?  I live in suburban Detroit and just down the road is a college town called Ann Arbor.  Try comparing the two.  Ann Arbor is a great college town with a ton of high tech companies.  I never hear anyone here comparing Ann Arbor & Detroit.  Actually the two are closer mileage-wise than Omaha & Lincoln.  The truth is that people here save their venom for the entire state of Ohio and especially Columbus.  

Why not exploit the synergies Omaha and Lincoln share?  Why not celebrate the differences between the two?  In high school we drove to Lincoln just to eat at Valentinos before they came to Omaha.  We drove past Rose Loge, Cliffs and others to eat at Lee's Chicken.  Take away the Omaha fans and you can fit the remaining fans in Memorial Stadium in, well, a much smaller stadium.  On the other hand, how many of the 4.2 Million people using Eppley are from Lincoln?  Why must "some" people feel the need to find fault with Omaha or Lincoln.  Yep Lincoln is smaller.  Get over it.  Yep there is some crime in Omaha.  It isn't a war zone.  Gee, there's crime in Detroit but not much at all in my neighborhood...AND we take the kids downtown all the time.  Yep, there's more traffic in Omaha but try to cross Lincoln at rush hour.   Again, exploit the synergies and watch what can happen to both cities.




I agree completely.  I like Omaha. I like Lincoln.  They both have positives and negatives.  With the 3 lanes it's so much easier to decide last minute to run up and eat at one of the many (and better overall than Lincoln) restaurants.  No complaints from me.

User avatar
iamjacobm
City Council
Posts: 8583
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:52 am
Location: Midtown

Re: Omaha vs Lincoln - LJS

Postby iamjacobm » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:30 pm

The original Omaha vs Lincoln debate, or should I say Lancaster?

http://journalstar.com/news/state-and-regional/statehouse/a-sesquicentennial-tale-when-it-was-lancaster-v-omaha/article_05be7948-9894-51d8-b211-827f4c7bb1e9.html

"Removal, nevertheless, was made the first order of business," Olson wrote. "South Platte legislators were determined almost to a man that the capital should not remain in Omaha."

Nebraska historian Frederick Luebke wrote of that same determination: "Legislators from the more populous South Platte country were relentless in their determination to take the prize away from Omaha even though on practical grounds there were no compelling reasons to do so."

For a time, he wrote, they considered a town called Douglas, presumably in Lancaster County, a town without location or inhabitants.


We sure were mad about it with this quote:
"No river, no railroad, no steam wagon, nothing," the Omaha Republican newspaper wrote.

"Nobody will ever go to Lincoln who does not go to the Legislature, the lunatic asylum, the penitentiary or some of the state institutions."

MTO
City Council
Posts: 7795
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:49 am
Location: Dundee

Re: Omaha vs Lincoln - LJS

Postby MTO » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:27 pm

The only thing Omaha needs to be ashamed about is its growth rate. After that for the most part Omaha is doing thing quite well.
15-17, 26, 32

Erik
Parks & Recreation
Posts: 1201
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:55 am

Re: Omaha vs Lincoln - LJS

Postby Erik » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:02 am

MTO wrote:The only thing Omaha needs to be ashamed about is its growth rate. After that for the most part Omaha is doing thing quite well.


Yeah. I'd like for it to grow a bit faster. Like 1.5% a year on average. However, 1.0-1.2% a year is above the average and not bad. But like you, it could do more.


Return to “Lincoln”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest