Lincoln to close billboard loopholes

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Lincoln to close billboard loopholes

Post by Coyote »

TheOmahaChannel.com wrote: Lincoln May Ban Interstate Billboards

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The Lincoln City Council will be asked Monday to ban billboards within 660 feet of interstates 80 and 180 near the capital city.

Planning Director Marvin Krout decided to ask for the ban after learning of at least 18 new billboards going up along Interstate 80 in eastern Omaha.

The state has forbidden the erection of new billboards along interstate highways since the 1950s in order to comply with the national Highway Beautification Act.

However, it seems interstate easements regulating billboards obtained decades ago by the state did not include the three-mile stretch of the interstate in Omaha.

When Lincoln officials contacted the state to see if the same thing could happen there, they received conflicting responses and no records proving Lincoln is protected.

That, in part, led planners to propose the ban, to close any potential loopholes.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

Good Job Lincoln! Billboards are acne on the interstates.
Last edited by Ingersoll1978 on Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

I think South Dakota should take up a law like that :D , but they work. I mean by the time I saw the last sign for Wall Drug I couldn't take it anymore and had to stop. Even though it was some weird little store full of a bunch of |expletive|. Wow what fun interstate stories I have up in South Dakota. LOL!
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I like what they've done in Kansas along those boring stretches of interstate. They heavily advertise tourist attractions (including a famous rock or largest ball of twine) that almost begs you to pull off the interstate. I could see this actually helping rural economies that travelers would otherwise pass through.

Otherwise, there is such a thing as overkill with unsightly billboards, particularly in more urban areas.
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I-80 in Omaha is a prime example of what you don't want. Kansas City has the same issue. It looks very cluttered. I always hated the billboard for the McDonalds on 84th St. My god, how many times do you have to tell drivers your at an exit with a McDonalds!
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

You think that's bad, try visiting Anywherein, TX. I've never seen uglier cities from the freeway. Even smaller towns have you pass on the interstate have big time blight.