Moving to Lincoln

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

edsas
Human Relations

Moving to Lincoln

Post by edsas »

Hi everybody.

Just wanted to say two things.  First, after 10 years in Los Angeles, my wife and I are moving to Lincoln with our three kids.  We're excited to be returning to our old stomping grounds.  I might finally be able to meet some of you guys.

The other thing is, I haven't posted here much recently -- not because I'm no longer interested in the forum -- but because I have this weird glitch on my computer that occurs only with eomahaforums.  I usually use Safari, but every time I type in the web address, I get a window that says "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading."  And I can't get into the website.

I noticed that if I switch browsers I can get in, but not for very long.  Safari, Firefox and Camino no longer work.  I'm using Opera right now.

At first I thought there was a problem with the website, but every time I get in, I see that the forum has continued on without interruption.

So I'm wondering if anybody might know what this glitch is.  I should be able to use Opera to get in for a little while, but like the other browsers, I suspect that I'll eventually end up with the same problem.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

That is great you are moving back!  

Send me a PM and I would be more than glad to share a pint.

The problem you are having is probably because you aren't clearing your cookies on the browser.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Glad to hear the news, edsas! Do you have a date yet?

Regarding the site issues, I ran into RFO (a resident at Riverfront Place) the other day, and hes said he's almost never able to get into the site anymore. I mentioned clearing cookies and cache, and he says that hasn't worked.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Yep, I cleared the cookies and the only thing that seems to work is if I switch browsers.  This doesn't happen to me on any site other than this one.  And, apparently it's a glitch that only affects my computer, because I can browse the site with no problem using a library or work computer.

Aaron, we're leaving on Tuesday!  We're not excited about the prospect of a cross-county trip in the winter, but we're definitely excited to be coming back home.  My wife's department at the LA Times dissolved and her last day of work is today. She is taking the kids to Alliance (where her mother lives) to finish up school while I'm going to Lincoln to find work. Then we'll get back together in June.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

edsas wrote:Yep, I cleared the cookies and the only thing that seems to work is if I switch browsers.  This doesn't happen to me on any site other than this one.  And, apparently it's a glitch that only affects my computer, because I can browse the site with no problem using a library or work computer.

Aaron, we're leaving on Tuesday!  We're not excited about the prospect of a cross-county trip in the winter, but we're definitely excited to be coming back home.  My wife's department at the LA Times dissolved and her last day of work is today. She is taking the kids to Alliance (where her mother lives) to finish up school while I'm going to Lincoln to find work. Then we'll get back together in June.
hi edsas! I'm sure I've spoken to you on Huskersillustrated.. (ehenningsen..).. Anyway, I am really glad to hear that you are making it back.. It's too bad that you are doing so just days after we hit nearly 35 inches of snow in 2 weeks..  This is by far the worst two weeks of winter weather I honestly can say that I remember in my lifetime..

With all that said, welcome home!  :D
Rob
Home Owners Association

Post by Rob »

Glad you are coming back to Nebraska Edsas.   I too can only access the site by going in the back way by typing omaha forums memberlist in yahoo...and typing my name and password there.  I cannot access the site directly through any browser or any computer I use...who knows...I come to the site on an almost daily basis...but I'm sure visitors to the site surely must be having the same difficulty we are having accessing the site.  I wish I could contribute more, but I am thankful for the Omaha updates from my friends while I'm still in DC.
"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Rob wrote:Glad you are coming back to Nebraska Edsas.   I too can only access the site by going in the back way by typing omaha forums memberlist in yahoo...and typing my name and password there.  I cannot access the site directly through any browser or any computer I use...who knows...I come to the site on an almost daily basis...but I'm sure visitors to the site surely must be having the same difficulty we are having accessing the site.  I wish I could contribute more, but I am thankful for the Omaha updates from my friends while I'm still in DC.
I think it was Brad who explained to me when I first started posting here how to fix that. I for got what he told me but I would ask him.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I use IE8 and delete my cookies often.

Hopefully we get moved to a new server soon and all these issues take care of them selves.

There are several members, edsas being one of them, that have fallen off.  I wonder how many are due to server problems.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I use Safari and FireFox and rarely have any issues but when I do I empty cookies and the cache and everything goes back to normal.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Brad wrote:I use IE8 and delete my cookies often.

Hopefully we get moved to a new server soon and all these issues take care of them selves.

There are several members, edsas being one of them, that have fallen off.  I wonder how many are due to server problems.
Are you taking donations to get a new server sooner?  I'm in the Christmas spirit and wouldn't mind helping out. :)
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bradley414 wrote:Are you taking donations to get a new server sooner?  I'm in the Christmas spirit and wouldn't mind helping out. :)
No, I think the Admin is waiting for one of our members to get his business up and running to host it.

Get a snow blower and feel all generous?
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Welcome back Edsas!

As it relates to problems with this site, I have experienced it on EVERYTHING. Home PC, work PC, laptop, Blackberry, Droid. You name it, I've had to clear out the cookies at some point. I'm sure it is costing the site members and/or more regular posters.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Wonder what is different for some?  I have had the issues mentioned but I have not had any issues for at least two months.  Probably just ruined that run!  On my home PC I am using IE 8 and I am on Windows ruined media center addition with all the updates I believe.  

At work I am using Vista with IE8

Those are my two main access points but there are others and so far so good for the last couple months.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As Brad mentioned - I know that the Admin is looking to move to a new (local) host and upgrade to phpbb 3. When that happens I don't know - I hope soon.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Thanks for the well wishes everybody!

The move turned out great.  I left LA on Dec 30th and the worst of the weather was actually rain and fog in Los Angeles.  Once I got through the Cajon Pass, it was smooth sailing.  I was a day behind the snow and the various snow removal crews did an excellent job of clearing things.  My wife and kids got dumped on a day earlier in Flagstaff.  But they loved it.

I had to listen to the Huskers wax Arizona through very spotty radio reception in the Mojave Desert.  But every time there was a burst of good audio it seemed like only great things were happening down in San Diego.

I'm typing this from my Mother-in-Law's computer in Alliance.  Didn't have any difficulty getting on to the site whatsoever.

Now I'm revving up the job search. I'll be heading to Lincoln on the 18th.  Good news. My wife has given me permission to look in Omaha, too.  She's not a fan of the city (I know, she's weird that way), but considering it has the strongest economy in the country right now, she's all for it.  The Omaha World Herald has been helping out, too, by running a list of all the honors Omaha has received in the past year such as the Forbes lists it made. She was also not a fan of Los Angeles for the first five years that we lived there, but she eventually came around to loving it.  I'm betting the same thing will happen with Omaha if we land up there.

So, wish me luck for finding something in your neck of the woods!  I've already set up one meeting in Omaha and two in Lincoln.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What kind of job are you looking for?
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Brad wrote:What kind of job are you looking for?
I'm looking into advertising agencies since I have expertise in film/video and copy writing.  I don't have an ad degree, though, and no experience in the field, so I don't really know what to expect.

I'm also talking to some film people.  But film work isn't steady in Omaha, so I'll be heading East open to anything, really.  I just need to get a steady paycheck for the time being.