Haymarket Arena and the naysayers

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Haymarket Arena and the naysayers

Post by NovakOmaha »

I was reading the interview with Roger Dixon in the Lincoln Journal Star the other day.  In reading the discussion/comments on the article I began to have a flashback to the OWH forum when the Qwest Center was being proposed.  I think her name was Anne Marie Hayes or something like that.  Anyway, the poopooers were all over the Qwest idea just like they are now with the Haymarket Arena.  "It will be a dismal failure"  "Nobody will ever go there"  "Omaha's is a failure"  "Nobody will go there.  They will only go to Denver, KC, etc., but not Omaha or Lincoln"  "We need better roads" (THAT was for Streets :) )  

It will be interesting to see where the vote ends up, but the comments sure were fun to read.

I'm wondering where Linkin thinks this will go.
StuMondo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StuMondo »

my biggest concern is how the Haymarket Arena thinks they will convince shows and acts to come to Lincoln instead of Omaha
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Um.......25,000 college students?
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

The Lincoln Haymarket Arena will be a big plus for the whole area. Having more times available between Quest and Haymarket will increase the chance of concert acts to find an available date to perform. Driving 60 miles to Lincoln will not be much of a deterrent for most of the 850,000 Omaha metro residents to attend a concert in Lincoln. We're close enough that the location is a non-issue. Just build it! We can support both venues.

Plus the size needed for UNL basketball will set the seating capacity needed for the arena, not concerts. There are ways to size the available seating capacity to fit the event, as we've seen for concerts at the Qwest.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

O no I agree there are plenty of younger people that go to those, but hey maybe it could do well b/c there aren't many college towns with arenas that size.  I just see bands saying we will have it in Omaha and have 75% of the crowd 20 mins away or have like what 50% coming from 50 mins away.  It seems like a non factor, but I just see Lincol competing with Mid America Center for shows more than the Qwest center.  Just my prediction.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I don't really understand why the push for a new arena has been revolving around what shows will perform there. I'm sure it will attract some shows that would otherwise pass the city by, but I think this arena should be built because it would be a great enhancement to downtown Lincoln and to Husker athletics. It could certainly help with recruiting.

UNL doesn't see the amount of out-of-state students that it should. One way you can pull in out-of-staters who may otherwise go to a different university is by having a top notch campus/campus life. Many college students will pick a school based on how enjoyable it would be to attend. I believe this new arena could help raise perception of UNL being an exciting place to goto college.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Events are a huge part because that is the biggest variable.  They know they will have however many home dates for the Husker games, but they don't know if it sits empty all summer and they don't know if it will end up being the impact on the local economy with one tenant.  Even Qwest Center has more sports dates than this arena will.  And this arena is projected to cost 50 million more than Qwest.  The university wants it they are bussing students from campus in order to get more yes votes, but the city will own it not the University and the city needs to be sure it can be a wise investment.  And to host Husker home games is not going to make it worth the cost.
StuMondo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by StuMondo »

it doesn't seem logical to me for an arbitrary big name ticket, say Tom Petty since he's already made an appearance in this thread, it makes little sense for me to think Tom Petty will come to Omaha set up all of his lights, speakers, equipment, and Persian rugs, then pack up after the show and drive less than an hour down the road and set it all up again.

Why not just two shows at Qwest?  If you live in Lincoln and you want to see him, it's not like 40 miles is going to stop you.  Am i right or am i crazy?

And i really don't see Tom Petty passing on Qwest to do a show in Lincoln.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think they want to attract shows to Lincoln instead of Omaha not having one in each.  And I would bet Lincoln would snag what maybe one out of every four or five acts that would normally go to Omaha.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

There aren't a lack of touring acts versus the number of arenas in the country. Flat out, this arena would do just fine with or without Omaha. Large conventions are a different story.

Because of UNL, I would think this thing is a no brainer.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There is no convention center in the plans for the arena.  So they are looking at entertainment and sporting events as the uses of the arena.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Anyone catch Robert Nelson's OpEd piece in the OWH print edition today? Pretty spot on and humorous.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Anyone catch Robert Nelson's OpEd piece in the OWH print edition today? Pretty spot on and humorous.
Pretty stupid actually
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

You're stupid!  :;):  8)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:You're stupid!  :;):  8)

Whew,,,, With your silence I thought you were in agreement with me now and that would have really had me worried  .      :mrgreen:

In all seriousness.  His attempts at humor miss the mark WAY more than they even come close.  Let it be to Lincoln to decide.  They need a replacement for Pershing and this partnership with UNL is a one time opportunity for the forseeable future.  It will not make or break the Qwest.

I get what he was trying to do, he just came up way short IMO.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

He didn't come up short in what he was trying to do, you just disagree with his opinion, which is fine.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:He didn't come up short in what he was trying to do, you just disagree with his opinion, which is fine.

I do disagree with what he was trying to say.  He also came up short, as he does with most of not all of his attempts, no matter what the topic.  Some that I agree with his attempt on and some I do not.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Good luck Lincoln!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

54% in Favor
46% Against

....still early, but looks good for Lincoln so far! I'm kind of surprised....thought it might not do so well.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.