$700 million I-80/29 reconstruction project

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OPlaya
Home Owners Association

Post by OPlaya »

Bout time they did this. If you think an hr is bad stuck in traffic just try being on this strech when a accident happens. You'll be there 2 maybe 3 hrs. I remember having to cut over and get off on 13th St. cause things were backed up.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Input on I-80 project wanted
Residents will have a chance to comment next month on widening and other work planned for Interstate 80 between 24th Street and the Missouri River in Omaha.

The Nebraska Roads Department, along with the State Highway Commission, will have a public hearing on the project Dec. 6. The hearing will be at 7:30 p.m. in the Bancroft Elementary School cafeteria, 2724 Riverview Blvd.

The work is part of a larger project that includes widening I-80 in Council Bluffs and rebuilding three Interstate junctions.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I-80 widening worries neighbors
Residents who live near Interstate 80 in southeastern Omaha said Wednesday that they are already rattled by traffic noise and vibrations - and a planned widening project will make the problem worse.

Neighbors at a public hearing said noise from semitrailer trucks and other vehicles keeps them from opening their windows in the summer and prevents them from having conversations in their backyards.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

With the state roads funds facing a (projected) serious shortfall in the next decade, a few people having been getting rather nervous about the state moving forward on this project, but (if you can trust Barry Cleaveland), we're still on track...

Bluffs' highway system a priority
There's good news for area travelers who are wondering when the state will start reconstruction work on the interstate highway system around Council Bluffs.

"Council Bluffs is next in line," said Barry Cleaveland, vice chairman of the Iowa Transportation Commission and Council Bluffs resident. "That's the direction we're headed."

The interstate is to be reconstructed in stages, with the first being the portion around the Nebraska Avenue interchange with Interstate 29 to the area just east of the South 24th Street interchange with I-29/80. That's set to get started in 2009, Cleaveland said.

The total reconstruction cost of the interstate around the city is estimated to be $1.2 billion, and the work will take years to complete, he said.

"It took seven or eight years to complete the Interstate 235 project in Des Moines, and that's half the project of Council Bluffs," Cleaveland said. "Hopefully, just 10 years here, but I don't know. It's going to be long term."

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Wow... what happened to $700 million... now we're at $1.2 billion?  Someone update the thread title!

This can't start soon enough!
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

World-wide demand for steel driving up prices, that's what's happened to the $700 million cost.   Cement prices may be higher as well.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

A public meeting about future construction work along Interstate 29/80 in Council Bluffs will be held Aug. 28 at the Mid-America Center, Rooms K-L, from 4 to 7 p.m.

Iowa Department of Transportation officials will discuss the proposed reconstruction of the 24th Street Bridge over the interstate, reconstruction of 24th Street from 27th Avenue to the interstate, and the aesthetics master plan for the Council Bluffs interstate system.

No formal presentation will be made at the meeting. Details of the projects, however, will be discussed informally.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

I-DOT finally has a project page up and running for this project, for anyone interested...

Council Bluffs Interstate System Improvements Project

--William Jennings Bryan
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Not exactly I-235 material... but still not too shabby...

Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Still better than anything NDOR has ever done.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

Remember that is what the bridge will hopefully look soon, but it only crosses 6 lanes in that picture. In like 6 years it will have to be rebuilt again to accommodate 12 lanes plus all of those shoulders because of the dual divided highways! :lol: SCORE!!!!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

See those dividers on the outside of the lanes? This rendering is showing it over the fully expanded interstate.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

yep i see, sorry bout that, its still cool ........12 lanes
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Stargazer wrote:Not exactly I-235 material... but still not too shabby...

I personally disagree. I really like these bridges better than one ones on I-235. There seems to be more attention to detail and a nice prairie style look

I-235 rendering:

Here's a rendering of what the bridges would look like when they incorporated "local art." I-235 certainly doesn't have this sort of detail:
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I must have overlooked that bottom rendering some how... I do like that.  CB could do us all a big favor if they'd sweep up every last piece of business on 24th north of the interstate... this area could really start turn into something special.  Maybe something is in the works?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Stargazer wrote:CB could do us all a big favor if they'd sweep up every last piece of business on 24th north of the interstate... this area could really start turn into something special.  Maybe something is in the works?
The City will be widening 24th north of the interstate, as well as redoing the transition to 23rd Ave at the north end of 24th St, such that traffic will not have to make a 90-degree turn onto 23rd Ave; rather it will be a gradual curve, with 23rd Ave from the east "T-ing" into 24th Street.  The City was hopeful they could do this project concurrent with the State's 24th St. bridge project this next year, but it is likely the City project will lag the State project by 9-12 months.  The present design would impact all businesses on the west side of 24th Street, with project right of way extending into all buildings - whether that will lead to all those businesses leaving or just setting back further from the street is not 100% known at this time (some will move though, I'm pretty sure of that).

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Plans for South 24th Street bridge progress
The reconstruction of this bridge will be the first project in the interstate improvement plan and bids will be let in next month, said Jeff Owen, an official of the Iowa Department of Transportation.

The bridge is to be lengthen to ensure enough room underneath for the interstate to be expanded to 12 lanes. That work includes dirt excavation of the bridge's embankment, he said.

It's going to be built quicker than past bridge construction projects, he said.

"We're using some new construction techniques to shorten construction time," Owen said. . .

. . . the bridge will not only be better to drive on, but also better to look at.

On the sides of the bridges, railings will be installed in the design of the rolling hills of the nearby Loess Hills. The bridge's abutments and terrace walls will include a limestone appearance with natural creams and browns. The proposed landscape design at 24th Street will blend native and ornamental grasses with trees and perennials. There will also be rope lights on the deck.
A new South 24th Street bridge that will include artwork honoring the nearby Loess Hills is scheduled for completion next fall. It will also provide left-turn lanes onto the interstate that the current structure doesn’t have.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The council also approved an agreement between the city and the Iowa Department of Transportation on obligations that each party will abide by on the construction of the new Interstate 80 bridge over the Missouri River. The IDOT will fund and build that bridge beginning next spring. The city will allow IDOT and its contractors access to the project site from city property.

The recreational trail under the bridge will remain open for use during the project, though temporary closures may occur at times.
In related news, it appears that IDOT is preparing for the construction zone at the S. 24th St. overpass, should see the lane shift for westbound in place by Thanksgiving and work on the bridge commencing shortly after that.  (I hope, anyway)

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Bridge work starts Bluffs project
Work on the massive Interstate widening project in Council Bluffs will begin this week as crews prepare to replace the 24th Street bridge over Interstates 80/29.

Later this week, westbound I-80/29 traffic will shift north onto the shoulder so crews can prepare the ground for installing a new bridge pier. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

They have started putting up the stone retaining wall on the west side of the overpass as you head east.  Looks like it will be nice, although that is something i thought they would do after the bridge was widened and they were finishing it up...not before.  Oh well, progress is progress.
Go Cubs Go
Allan_Love_Jr
Library Board

Reconstruction.

Post by Allan_Love_Jr »

It will be nice when they get it all cleaned up. I can't wait till wait till it's all done. It's gonna look real nice driving through there.
Allan Love Jr
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Work on second I-80 bridge to begin next week
There won't be much to see at first, just some clearing of trees and other preliminary work, but it's all part of the construction of a new Interstate 80 bridge over the Missouri River, one of the key initial phases of the massive interstate reconstruction project in the city. . .

Iowa is in charge of building the Interstate 80 bridge connecting Council Bluffs and Omaha, Owen said, while Nebraska is the lead agency for the new U.S. Highway 275 bridge being built to the south.

The new I-80 bridge will be built just north of the current bridge. When it's completed in 2010, all eastbound and westbound traffic will be shifted over to that bridge so that the current bridge can be reconstructed, Owen said.

When reconstruction of the current bridge is complete, it will carry eastbound traffic, while the new bridge will carry westbound vehicles. Each bridge will carry a minimum of four, possibly five, lanes of traffic. The construction of the new bridge will land some 50 to 100 feet on the Nebraska side, where that state will take over, Owen said. On the Iowa side, it will end just west of the I-29/80 western interchange. . .

Jensen Construction Co. of Des Moines has been awarded the contract for the bridge project. The estimated cost is $56.1 million.

The South 24th Street bridge reconstruction project is expected to be finished in the fall. It will feature two through lanes in each direction and accommodations for left-turn lanes at the interstate on-ramps. Pedestrian access will be available on both sides of the bridge. . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

D.C. Ambassadors seek federal aid for city projects
Transportation improvements, especially for the reconstruction of the interstate system around Council Bluffs, were key priorities for federal aid during this week's annual DC Ambassadors trip to Washington, according to the Council Bluffs Chamber of Commerce. . . .

City Engineer/Public Works Director Greg Reeder, a member of the group, requested $5 million in federal funds for an $8 million project to widen South 24th Street from Interstate 29/80 to 23rd Avenue. This project would widen the four existing lanes, plus add a left-turn lane, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Work beginning on the IA side.  Besides tree removal, there is shoulder work going on.  There are also retaining walls going up on south 24 street by the new JC Penny.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

There are cranes doing work on the Iowa side.  It looks like they are getting ready to start bridge construction.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Nice new website for information on this project

http://www.cbinterstate.com
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Nice new website for information on this project

http://www.cbinterstate.com
Umm, yeah, it's already been linked on about the middle of the previous page though..... :;):

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Daily Nonpareil wrote:Westbound traffic on Interstate 29/80 by the South 24th Street bridge will need to be closed Saturday evening for repair work on the bridge, the Iowa Department of Transportation has announced. The interstate will be closed for eastbound traffic the following evening, the department said.

The Saturday closure for westbound traffic will begin at 11:30 a.m. and continue through Sunday at 9 a.m. The Sunday closure for eastbound traffic will begin at 10 p.m. and continue through Monday at 6 a.m.

Motorists will exit the interstate at the 24th Street off-ramp, cross that street and continue on the 24th Street on-ramp to re-enter the interstate, the department said.

The department also said that beginning Thursday westbound interstate traffic would be shifted towards the median. Two traffic lanes will be maintained. On Friday, 24th Street over the interstate will be reduced to one lane in each direction with a middle turn lane.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Work on the 24th Street bridge is coming along, the center support pier for the southbound lanes is in place with decorative concrete work, and just yesterday the main girders have been put in place from abutment to abutment - pretty impressively sized I might add!  Hopefully this continues to get fast-tracked, because traffic is a real beach right now.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Effort under way to rename I-80 bridge in honor of Dodge
In just a few years - 2011 to be exact - the 150th anniversary, or sesquicentennial as it's called, will be observed marking the beginning of the Civil War.

Plans have already started in Iowa to mark the somber event. In fact, the Council Bluffs City Council Monday evening will receive a request on a project by the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War, Department of Iowa.

This organization, or SUVCW, is seeking local government approval to rename 12 river bridges along the original route of U.S. Highway 6, which is the National Grand Army of the Republic Highway. The request is to name these bridges for the finest of Iowa's Civil War generals. . . .

The state's westernmost bridge on the highway is that on Interstate 80 over the Missouri River. The honoree chosen for this bridge is Major General Grenville M. Dodge, who lived in Council Bluffs. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It would be a lot better if they were renaming a "Cool" bridge not the typical one they are building!
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i agree.  I think it would be cooler if they renamed the 24Th street bridge that instead.  That whole thing is going to be nice looking...and fitting of a name other than "24Th street bridge".
Go Cubs Go
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:i agree.  I think it would be cooler if they renamed the 24Th street bridge that instead.  That whole thing is going to be nice looking...and fitting of a name other than "24Th street bridge".
I was thinking this:

and this:

As opposed to this:
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Thank you NDOR for your timely attention to Phase I....  :roll:  

And thank you Gov. Chet for taking care of the folk outside of the 'Golden Circle'... :evil:
. . .  More than 80 people gathered at the MAC to hear updates from state roads officials on how interstate reconstruction is coming along.

The entire interstate system through the city has been divided into segments and construction timelines. Segment 2, which covers I-29/80 from the Missouri River to Indian Creek and up north to the Nebraska Avenue interchange, was discussed at the meeting. . . .

Included in this segment is the reconstruction of the South 24th Street bridge, currently in progress. That bridge is being widened to allow for one left-turn lane onto the interstate and eventually two left-turn lanes, said IDOT spokesman Jeff Owen. Work on the southbound lanes should be completed in late July, he said, followed by the northbound lanes.

"The whole bridge should be done by October," he said.

Huge art sculptures to be installed at the four corners of the bridge are also in the works, Owen said. . . .

This work must coordinate with construction on the Nebraska side of the Missouri River, officials said, including that state's project on reconstructing the I-80 bridge over the river. Plans there call for five lanes in each direction. The possible date for that to be completed and for Segment 2 to begin is 2011 [editorial note - two years ago, that start date was 2009], officials said. It could then take seven to eight years to do the major widening work and then possibly a five-year delay for completion because of funding concerns, they said.

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Brad wrote:
thenewguy wrote:i agree.  I think it would be cooler if they renamed the 24Th street bridge that instead.  That whole thing is going to be nice looking...and fitting of a name other than "24Th street bridge".
I was thinking this:

and this:

As opposed to this:

yeah, you're right; those are far more significant by comparison.  Much more fitting of a fancy name.
Go Cubs Go
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

you know, going across the river into Omaha is really impressive when you count 9 or 10 cranes by the river
Go Cubs Go
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

What I'd like to see is the design for the Pedestrian Bridge to be used on the new Bridge over the River... but since we have one already, I'm sure well use a plain jane.[/left]
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Trains will be welcome wagons to I-80 drivers
It's hard to miss those two large trains on the hill north of Interstate 80 and just across from the Missouri River.

In coming years, drivers heading into Omaha on I-80 will get an even closer look at the mighty locomotives.

Part of the hill will be removed and replaced with westbound lanes for an I-80 widening project that will start next year and finish in 2011.

Have no fear, says Spencer Crews, executive director of the Lauritzen Gardens. The trains in the gardens' Kenefick Park will be safe and sound and will not have to be relocated. . . .
Omaha Interstate plans hit 2-year snag
. . . State officials say a lack of federal money is pushing back the completion date for the I-480 improvements. Also affected by the lack of federal money are the widening of Interstate 80 near the Missouri River and Interstate projects serving Lincoln and Grand Island.

Things could change if Nebraska receives a significant boost in roads funding from Washington, but President-elect Barack Obama has yet to detail his plan to jump-start the economy.

In the meantime, the Nebraska Roads Department is being "very fiscally conservative in what we're planning," said spokeswoman Mary Jo Oie. . . .

Iowa has not revised the timing of its Interstate construction work, said Dena Gray-Fisher, spokeswoman for the Iowa Department of Transportation. The department, she said, still is waiting to see whether Congress will provide extra roads funds. . . .

Nebraska still plans to begin widening Interstate 80 from the Missouri River next year.

However, problems with funding and scheduling mean crews will work only from the river to 13th Street instead of to 24th Street, as originally planned. The remaining construction won't begin until 2013.

The change will cut the cost of the first part of the project from $25 million to $18 million. The abbreviated work should be complete in 2011. The Interstate will be widened from two to five lanes in each direction.

Besides funding problems, Roads Department spokesman Burns said, the Omaha work is being postponed because of the timing of Iowa's construction of a new I-80 bridge in Council Bluffs.

Stopping work at 13th Street also means the 13th Street ramps to the Interstate will remain open during the last two College World Series at Rosenblatt Stadium. The series is to move to a downtown ballpark in 2011. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Great, those awesome rush hour delays into CB won't go away till 2012 at the earliest?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Daily Nonpareil wrote:A public information and input meeting on the widening of Interstates 29/80 will be held Tuesday at the Mid-America Center from 5 to 7 p.m.

The Iowa Department of Transportation will provide information and gather feedback on the second segment of a massive widening project involving I-29/80 from South 24th Street to the Missouri River and part of I-29 to the north.

Eventually, there will be 12 lanes for I-29/80 and six lanes for I-29 in the area.

--William Jennings Bryan