Pinnacle / Swanson Site (10th and Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags wrote:Word on the street is wrong.
That's a big site... May be the parking garage is part of a bigger project.  May be the RFP must include a garage to be built first.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I would hope that a garage is part of any long term plan. I just don't see the city turning this into a parking garage only. Especially because the anti downtown ballpark people would have a heyday adding in the cost of any garage to the ballpark plan. I'm thinking 2-3 years of surface lot before it gets developed.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

If the best long term plan the city of Omaha can come up with for the Swanson site is parking, I'll be shopping for condos in Lincoln.  Same commute, same stupid bullshit, half price home.

-Big E
Stable genius.
NDizona
Library Board

Post by NDizona »

the1wags wrote:I would hope that a garage is part of any long term plan. I just don't see the city turning this into a parking garage only. Especially because the anti downtown ballpark people would have a heyday adding in the cost of any garage to the ballpark plan. I'm thinking 2-3 years of surface lot before it gets developed.
I speculate that the plans for the site have remained on the DL because of this very fact.  

Mark the thread in a time capsule and see if my source wasn't pulling my leg.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I still don't see them putting a garage there unless it is part of a soon forth coming development.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

David Sokol said...

"We (Omaha and MECA) are going to jointly develop the pinnacle property first with parking and hopefully within the very near future a full service hotel"

AWESOME!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I'm glad but I'm a bit concerned that with Sokol's draconian parking lot demands that we won't see the site develop it's full potential. The hotel is great but I had always hoped this site would have mixed usage. I'll reserve judgement until I see the final product but I'm not completely thrilled.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

How does one become a board member of MECA? Is it something you run for, or are you appointed?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Swift wrote:How does one become a board member of MECA? Is it something you run for, or are you appointed?
They alternate.  One is pointed by the city council then the next by the mayor, then city council, then mayor and so on.  This time its the mayor's turn to replace Daub.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I nominate myself!  :D
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The system of alternating council and mayoral appointments was demanded by the council in 2000 as a way to get its support for MECA's management agreement with the city.

"I didn't think it was the wisest course," Daub said of the compromise. But it had to be done to win council approval, he said.

Under the system, the mayor appoints members in even-numbered years and the council in odd-numbered years. All appointments are for five years.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10295971
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The OWH reports that MECA isn't obligated to build a hotel on the Swanson site until 2019. I hope it doesn't take even half that long.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DTO Luv wrote:The OWH reports that MECA isn't obligated to build a hotel on the Swanson site until 2019. I hope it doesn't take even half that long.
I keep thinking of the "Omaha isn't working fast enough" comment last week.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Maybe the 2019 timeline is more for the city than for Meca.  At the time when this site is turned into a hotel, Meca will of course require the city to pull more parking out of their backside before construction can begin.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mayor Fahey just told Matt Perault that the Pinnacle site should start to be taken down in 45 days from now and should be completed and paved before the end of the year (when ground breaking for the stadium would take place).
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Spare me all the "necessary evil" and "it's only temporary" bullshit, because I know.  But I still can't get over the fact that we're PAVING a NEW |expletive| surface parking lot Downtown.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Spare me all the "necessary evil" and "it's only temporary" |expletive|, because I know.  But I still can't get over the fact that we're PAVING a NEW |expletive| surface parking lot Downtown.
I couldn't agree more. I would really hope Fahey & Co. would exercise better judgment for that area. At the very least a multi-level parking garge.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I mean, I understand it's "temporary" and they wouldn't want to build a garage when there will be a hotel built there sometime in the not too distant future, but a cohesive/contextual plan would be nice....
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha council approves demolition of downtown plant
KAREN SLOAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The Omaha City Council voted unanimously Tuesday to approve a $3.4 million contract for Anderson Excavating to demolish the plant at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue. The council is expected to approve several more ballpark measures — including an agreement with the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority to run the ballpark and increases in the city's hotel tax rate and car rental tax rate — at its June 10 meeting.

City Planning Director Steve Jensen said Omaha is also working on acquiring several properties adjacent to the Pinnacle plant. Those lots currently house two active businesses — Hauff Sporting Goods and Ferguson Enterprises. Jensen said the city is looking for sites to relocate those businesses.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

S33 wrote:
StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Spare me all the "necessary evil" and "it's only temporary" |expletive|, because I know.  But I still can't get over the fact that we're PAVING a NEW |expletive| surface parking lot Downtown.
I couldn't agree more. I would really hope Fahey & Co. would exercise better judgment for that area. At the very least a multi-level parking garge.
Blame MECA not Fahey.  This was how the deal got done.  MECAs infatuation with suburban style parking availability is going to be a thorn for a while.  In this case it is costing at least a million extra bucks to RUSH this site along for parking prior to any work starting on the ballpark site.  It is still a future development site as far as the City is concerned.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Here here!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Demolition should begin shortly!!!  Anderson Excavating was onsite today putting out concrete barriers around the site, and looked to be gathering equipment in the parking lot. There have also been a couple of holes dug at various sites - I'd assume to disconnect utilities.
Does anyone know if they've negotiated buyouts with the other 2 businesses at this site (Hauff and Ferguson), or if they're just going to start work at the east end of the site, and hope that buy-outs are complete by the time they get to these pieces of the property.   If so, that's a heck of a strong arm tactic.  Are there plans to use eminent domain, and just take the properties if they can't agree to a relocation package with the city?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

On Grow Omaha this morning they mentioned that MECA has already received several bids to develop the Pinnacle site.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Oh, wow!  Any other details?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Oh, wow!  Any other details?
This was just mentioned in passing. The only other thing they said is the same - they hope for ground floor retail, office spaces and residential above - and hoping for a parking structure.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

So, Anderson Excavating didn't have to move their equipment very far...  Looks like most all of the heavy equipment that was doing the demo at the UP site just moved down the block to the Pinnacle building.  I'd expect them to start up shortly now that they're done at UP.

Anyone heard any updates on the proposed buyouts of the 2 other businesses on the Pinnacle site?  I hope that doesn't hold things up at all...
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

They have starting taking it down and they are going fast.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:They have starting taking it down and they are going fast.
Fast is GOOD!  I might need to take my new set of wheels down there tonight and check it out!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So doe's this mean something is planned?  I was always told that lots are harder to develop then vacant buildings.

This would be a good spot for one of those 3 level urban malls.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

MTO wrote:So doe's this mean something is planned? .
Yeah, a parking lot...  The reason for the hurry is that part of the City's agreement with MECA is that they can't start work on ballpark and remove any spots from use until all of the new ones are available.  IE this needs to be paved before they can start excavation and any EPA remediation on the lots that will become the ballpark.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update, the Demo Begins:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just about gone:

Then, Once again another Omaha demolition uncovers a cool old brick building covered up by years of additions:

Gordon Fire:
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

ugh.  Man, i hope they they get a garage or something built in the near future; surface parking sucks.
Go Cubs Go
Bobcat
Home Owners Association

Post by Bobcat »

Last I heard, the City still has to close on the purchase of the adjoining properties before anything can happen.  I think Hauff's sporting goods is one of them and they are seeking a space for relocation before they can move.  It's hard to say how long it will be before anything other than surface parking will happen.  It would be nice if a development could start prior to the opening of the ballpark.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

the1wags in a text message wrote:They are wreckballin building @ swanson site
Translation = they are working on taking down that last 5 story building now, The "Gordon" building.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Uh oh, somebody better tell Big E they plan on removing that brick wall with windows. There goes more historical significance! :;):
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Hey, it's Finn!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I drove by and snapped a few photos last night.  That building is not going to be around long, they bashed in 1 section in just a few hours yesterday.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Finn wrote:Uh oh, somebody better tell Big E they plan on removing that brick wall with windows. There goes more historical significance! :;):
Uh oh, someone better tell Finn to suck on it if that's all he can post every 6 months.   :;):
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update 8/12/2008