Southport (126th - Giles - I80)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I drove past Summer Kitchen at 6 pm and I could not see a single empty parking spot.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update, New Embassy Suites and LaVista Conference Center now open:

(bad Photos.... No Tripod)

dandr1229
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dandr1229 »

[center]
Just saw this Video Tourof the Embassy Suuites.[/center]
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:I drove past Summer Kitchen at 6 pm and I could not see a single empty parking spot.
Now this is a great example of where a quality locally-owned independent restaurant can put down its roots and succeed where otherwise it would be just Yet Another {fill in a chain restaurant}.

We need to support things like this! :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omababe wrote:We need to support things like this! :)
I did my part and ate at the Millard Roadhouse on Saturday.
Lizard
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Lizard »

Omababe wrote:
Coyote wrote:I drove past Summer Kitchen at 6 pm and I could not see a single empty parking spot.
Now this is a great example of where a quality locally-owned independent restaurant can put down its roots and succeed where otherwise it would be just Yet Another {fill in a chain restaurant}.

We need to support things like this! :)
Their Friday Night Beef Stroganoff is incredible... I love Summer Kitchen.
Brad
City Council

Southport West to finish with flourish

Post by Brad »

Southport West to finish with flourish

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10403710
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The developers who brought Cabela's to La Vista at Interstate 80 and Giles Road plan to fill the rest of Southport West with a retail/entertainment district and a business park, possibly connected by a trolley.

They said they are close to leasing one building to a "large corporate tenant," which they declined to name but said was not Yahoo.

"People will not only come here for a day but for the weekend," said Dennis Hoth, who is developing Southport West with fellow CB Richard Ellis/MEGA broker Dean Hokanson. "It's not your neighborhood shopping center. This is a regional destination."

Hoth said he hoped the large corporate tenant would announce its plans in about 30 days when the lease is finalized.

A person close to Gov. Dave Heineman has confirmed that state and local officials are negotiating with Yahoo, a major Internet search engine, to build a data center in the Omaha metropolitan area. A spokesman for Yahoo, which is based in Sunnyvale, Calif., has declined to say whether it is talking to Nebraska officials.

"It's not that big," Hoth said of the corporate prospect Southport West is courting, "but it's a really, really great tenant."

Hoth said the company would occupy the first floor of a three-story building to be constructed on 2.4 acres northwest of Cabela's and visible from I-80.

OWH Image
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

So for the sake of discussion lets say they land the Royals in a new park in this area.  Does it go where the "Potential high-rise office building site" is noted?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yes, over in the royals discussion I posted a map of where the news channel showed it.

There is no room in southport and if it goes to Sarpy county, I would put my money on Sapp Brothers.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The developers who brought Cabela's to La Vista at Interstate 80 and Giles Road plan to fill the rest of Southport West with a retail/entertainment district and a business park, possibly connected by a trolley.
Let me guess...  it never crossed anyone's mind to not see how far away they could build everything from everything in the first place?
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Also, isn't a "trolley" that runs on wheels, not tracks, just a BUS????

Anyway, obviously, I hope they land the highrise.  I'm sure they would consider 5-10 stories a highrise.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Considering that the FAA restricted the height of the Embassy Suites due to the proximity of the Millard Airport, I'd bet that any "highrises" in the business park will be limited in height as well.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Remember however, the Business Park is on much lower elevated land than where Embassy Suites is.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Remember however, the Business Park is on much lower elevated land than where Embassy Suites is.
There is about 50 Feet of difference between the Embassy Suits Lot and the business park lot

Embassy Suites lot is about 1110 Feet above Sea Level
Business Park lot is about 1060 Feet above Sea Level
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am continued to be surprised at how popular this Summer Kitchen has become. Yesterday at lunch time the lots were full and at least two dozen cars were parked in a make shift parking lot to the north and along the drive coming in. I had their Junior Santa Fe Potato Casserole and had plenty left overs.

And not everyone was from Paypal unless they hire retired couples.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Coyote wrote:And not everyone was from Paypal unless they hire retired couples.
Paypal greeters.  it's the new thing.
wheel
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wheel »

Plans for parking lot expansion under way.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

wheel wrote:
This has got to be for the sole reason that there is really no competition within miles for a sit-down restaurant in that area.  Things hopefully will change soon in that respect.
dandr1229
New to the Neighborhood

Post by dandr1229 »

nativeomahan wrote:
wheel wrote:
This has got to be for the sole reason that there is really no competition within miles for a sit-down restaurant in that area.  Things hopefully will change soon in that respect.
A few miles, but just over at Shadow Lake is Wheatfields, Red Robin, and Texas Roadhouse...  an easy jaunt...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

dandr1229 wrote:A few miles, but just over at Shadow Lake is Wheatfields, Red Robin, and Texas Roadhouse...  an easy jaunt...
Most importantly, Old Chicago!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

dandr1229 wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:
wheel wrote:
A few miles, but just over at Shadow Lake is Wheatfields, Red Robin, and Texas Roadhouse...  an easy jaunt...
I would hate to walk it.  It is about 7-8 miles as the car drives from 126th and Harrison to 72nd and 370.  Aksarben Village is about the same distance.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

There seems to be a common misconception that Southport is somehow centrally located; it's not.  It's on the edge of town.  The Omaha metro area is growing that direction...but it's surprisingly far from much of the rest of the metro area.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't think its in the middle of the city, but the access to I80 makes it a very convenient location to a lot of things.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Or more importantly...

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Oops... for some reason I thought I was in the Royals thread.  Oh well... same idea.  :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Southport Update.  

I had lunch today at the new summer kitchen.  good food, good service, horrible parking... HOWEVER an additional parking lot is currently under construction and will be done soon.  The entire lot was full today but there were still a couple of empty tables inside.

The first of the 2 strip mall buildings behind runza is well underway and almost closed in.

Burger King has begun to go vertical.

Across the street, the seconds of the two big hotels is almost completely enclosed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just went to the Sarpy County Chamber show at the LaVista Conference Center.  That's a nice place.  I am not sure how much of it I saw, but it seemed to be decently big.  Being right in between the two Hammond's Hotels, I think it will be a real success.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I heard that phase one of the new shopping center, Southport Center, is already 80% leased.  I believe we will see the second phase this spring.
where the corn meets the concrete
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Southport BK is now open - and they have one poor lad on Giles trying to a sign that says they are Now Open - in the midst of 45 mph wind gusts. He will be one sore puppy when he gets home.
Brad
City Council

Golf year round with a bar for the course

Post by Brad »

Golf year round with a bar for the course

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10545936
LEIA BAEZ WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Thanks to a new business in Southport, near 120th Street and Giles Road, golf enthusiasts won’t have to put their clubs away for the winter — or fret about the weather.

Beyond Golf, a sports bar scheduled for a grand opening in February, is one of the first businesses in Nebraska to offer golf leagues, lessons and clinics via high-definition golf simulators.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

What is the multi-level steel structure going up west of the Courtyard by Marriott going to be?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

At one time I was thinking this was supposed to be where a movie theater was to go... but I never heard whether those plans were definitive or not.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:What is the multi-level steel structure going up west of the Courtyard by Marriott going to be?
I think its a Mutual of Omaha Bank.
Stargazer wrote:At one time I was thinking this was supposed to be where a movie theater was to go... but I never heard whether those plans were definitive or not.
They own Lot 2, SPW replat 4 (South East Corner)
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The structure will be at least 3 stories, from what is visible now.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I drove by the other day while on my way to Cabella's, it is Mutual of Omaha Bank.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Marriott opening caps La Vista complex

http://omaha.com/article/20090611/NEWS0 ... 96/-1/NEWS
John Keenan, OWH wrote:La Vista business and community leaders were on hand Wednesday when John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts held a ribbon-cutting celebration to announce the official grand opening of Courtyard by Marriott Omaha-LaVista.

The 246-room hotel is the final piece in John Q. Hammons' La Vista Complex, which also includes the 100,000-square-foot La Vista Conference Center and 257-suite Embassy Suites Omaha-LaVista, which opened in July 2008.

La Vista Mayor Doug Kindig said the grand opening was the last piece in the project, which made it the “largest hotel-connected conference center project in the state of Nebraska.

“The obvious benefits are the revenue sources, the sales tax dollars, the hotel occupation tax that we'll receive,” he said. ‘But the benefits beyond that — I think we're starting to see the vision that the city counicl and myself have had in making this a destination point.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New M of O bank

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Has anyone heard anything about development continuing in Southport? I heard great things about it for a while but then it seemed to drop off the face of the earth.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Been There
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Been There »

Last thing I recall is they were waiting to see what Nebraska Crossing was going to do.   That, and probably Shadow Lake, would be their biggest competition.

Nebraska Crossing since then has begun an ambitious overhaul.  The original structures are pretty much demolished as of last month.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Been There wrote:Last thing I recall is they were waiting to see what Nebraska Crossing was going to do.   That, and probably Shadow Lake, would be their biggest competition.

Nebraska Crossing since then has begun an ambitious overhaul.  The original structures are pretty much demolished as of last month.
I wonder why they stopped after they built Cabela's. I heard so much was coming from it and then it all went quiet.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride