Baker Square (SWC 132nd & Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Guest 2

Baker Square (SWC 132nd & Center)

Post by Guest 2 »

MODERATOR EDIT: This thread was started in the Rumors section and has been moved to the Suburban section.

Heard that No Frills is moving into the former Bakers at 132nd and Center.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Wow that would be huge.  The center has been slowly dying.  I think Husker Hounds was the latest to leave.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:Wow that would be huge.  The center has been slowly dying.  I think Husker Hounds was the latest to leave.

Greg

Yes, Husker Hounds closed that location and opened near 168th & Center by Bakers.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Rather ironic because the former Albertsons at 120th & Center was originally purchased by No Frills, then No Frills sold it to Bakers.  I wonder if they'll rename the shopping center now; not sure No Frills wants to be in "Baker Square".
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HskrFanMike wrote:Rather ironic because the former Albertsons at 120th & Center was originally purchased by No Frills, then No Frills sold it to Bakers.  I wonder if they'll rename the shopping center now; not sure No Frills wants to be in "Baker Square".
good question but lets not get too far ahead of things.  Keep in mind this is a rumor at this point started by someone that is a guest and not registered.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:Rather ironic because the former Albertsons at 120th & Center was originally purchased by No Frills, then No Frills sold it to Bakers.  I wonder if they'll rename the shopping center now; not sure No Frills wants to be in "Baker Square".
good question but lets not get too far ahead of things.  Keep in mind this is a rumor at this point started by someone that is a guest and not registered.
That's before No Frills was sold to a bunch of Former Bakers Management.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

No Frills Square sounds quite fitting.

Post by Guest »

Look for an announcement on Thursday.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

Four sides, and that's all you're getting.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

almighty_tuna wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

Four sides, and that's all you're getting.
No Frills-No Square for you.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

No longer a rumor!

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10633538

Published Thursday    May 14, 2009
No Frills going into Baker's Square

A press conference scheduled Thursday morning on developments at Baker Square, 132nd Street and West Center Road, will include the announcement that No Frills will move into a space formerly occupied by Baker's supermarket.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard a story once that it was not long after Baker's opened the Baker's Square location that Baker's became the "#1 Grocery Store in Omaha"

Wonder if No Frills will have the same outcome?
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Did anything else come out of that announcement?  I hope they announced the Shopping Center was getting a face lift.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

windsor wrote:Did anything else come out of that announcement?  I hope they announced the Shopping Center was getting a face lift.
Ask and you shall receive....  Actually I did a google search and found it on MSNBC's site, then KETV.

New Store, Facelift Planned For Baker's Square

http://www.ketv.com/money/19460807/detail.html#
www.ketv.com wrote:No Frills Fresh will open its first west Omaha store at the old Baker’s Supermarket location in the shopping center. It’s just part of a multi-million-dollar renovation project for the entire shopping center.

The recently introduced No Frill Fresh store model includes an expanded produce section and in-store butchers in the meat department. The store will also have a full-service deli and bakery.

Baker’s Square, which opened 35 years ago, has been feeling the pinch over the last year having lost the Baker’s Supermarket and Stein Mart.

The renovation of the shopping center is expected to be complete by this fall.
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

I doubt it.  The square is obviously named after Abe Baker the founder of Bakers.  The Baker family sold Baker's in the early 90's, but they still own that square.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I did not realize Stein Mart also moved out - and Petco relocated to the L Street Marketplace.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

When was that an Albertson's?  It was a Hy-Vee for the longest time, but I worked at Albertson's on Q in the 90's and don't remember there being one there.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

joeglow wrote:
When was that an Albertson's?  It was a Hy-Vee for the longest time, but I worked at Albertson's on Q in the 90's and don't remember there being one there.
HyVee closed and moved to 90th and Center in the mid to late 90's  It sat empty for a few years before Albertsons bought it, tore it down and built a big new Albertsons there.  Shortly later Albertson's sold all its Omaha Stores.
a42887
Home Owners Association

Post by a42887 »

joeglow wrote:
They bulldozed the Hy-Vee and Osco, then built the Albertsons.  It was an Albertsons for all of a year (maybe).  A really short time.  If you take a drive past it, look at the words on the front of the building that say Food and Liquor (or something like that) and you'll see the recognizable Albertsons font.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Brad wrote:
joeglow wrote:
HyVee closed and moved to 90th and Center in the mid to late 90's  It sat empty for a few years before Albertsons bought it, tore it down and built a big new Albertsons there.  Shortly later Albertson's sold all its Omaha Stores.
I just looked it up.

HyVee Moved in 1999
Albertson's opened in 2002
Albertsons left Omaha in 2004
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

With the renovations of Bakers Square just about all the major shopping areas of this part of town will be redone with Montclair and Westwood both getting facelifts recently.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Coyote wrote:I did not realize Stein Mart also moved out - and Petco relocated to the L Street Marketplace.
Stein Mart hasn't moved out .... yet.  They are still holding their store closing clearance sale.

As for the renovations, Baker Square did a minor renovation about 10 years ago, sadly to paint over all the brick, which actually looks worse.  Especially the Stein Mart building (originally Brandeis), where it's flaking off.  The drawings of No Frills Fresh make it look like the brick might be restored.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

HskrFanMike wrote:
Coyote wrote:I did not realize Stein Mart also moved out - and Petco relocated to the L Street Marketplace.
Stein Mart hasn't moved out .... yet.  They are still holding their store closing clearance sale.

As for the renovations, Baker Square did a minor renovation about 10 years ago, sadly to paint over all the brick, which actually looks worse.  Especially the Stein Mart building (originally Brandeis), where it's flaking off.  The drawings of No Frills Fresh make it look like the brick might be restored.
As long as I live I will never understand people who paint brick.  Why not paint flowers?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

nativeomahan wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:

As long as I live I will never understand people who paint brick.  Why not paint flowers?
Some people think brighter colors look better.  I once talked to an idiot realtor who tried to convince me that a house would sell better with all of the woodwork painted white. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote:As long as I live I will never understand people who paint brick.  Why not paint flowers?
Some people think brighter colors look better.  I once talked to an idiot realtor who tried to convince me that a house would sell better with all of the woodwork painted white. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:[/quote]

My house is white brick and white woodwork.  I do not know who did it, but it at least they didn't paint the hardwood floors...
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

From the looks of that rendering, things will be much improved from that white painted brick that is there now.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Drove by today on the way out to a job site.  It looked like stuff is already going on inside and there are also some "Sample areas" where we the paint has been removed with different effects.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

My understanding is that everything on the facade now is either getting covered up or coming off.  The new materials are brick, stone and some type of tile.  Also, PDM acts as though Stein Mart is staying.  I would have tried to verify that had I even known it was looking otherwise.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I snapped a photo of the new No Frills today, but for some stupid reason, I deleted the update photos when I got to Rosenblatt tonight???

The whole front of the building is tore up now.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I drove by the other day, they are indeed giving the front of that building a makeover.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just ran over to Chipolte, Bakers Square is looking great.  The front of the no Frills is about complete.  They are covering the windows on the roof.  The east strip mall is looking good too.  They are now riping the front off the pet co and stein mart.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I can't wait for this store to open!
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Have they located any new tenants for the other vacant box stores?
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Okay, I admit it.  I have no life.  So I went to No Frills tonight on 132nd.  They have a bright (very very bright) clean store.  Nothing special by Omaha standards.  I really dislike the indoor color scheme.  Lots of yellow and green.  Looks almost childish.  They have put a small liquor department where the restaurant used to be, but the mix of liquors seems more low brow than West O should support.  All in all, a good addition to the area.  I picked up a few bargains.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Baker Square to add 2nd anchor
John Keenan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores announced Friday that it will open a 24,100-square-foot store there in part of the former Stein Mart space. Construction work for Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft will begin in early August with a fall opening planned. According to the company’s website, the only other Omaha location for the Ohio-based chain, which operates more than 750 stores in 47 states, is at 8447 West Center Road.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I missed this announcement, however I did notice the temporary sign up on the building the other night.
Brad
City Council

Re: Baker Square

Post by Brad »

My wife said a "Fresh Thyme" sign went up on the No Frills today.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Fresh Thyme is a specialty grocer which sells primarily organic and natural products. It's not on the company map, but they have a store already in Lincoln.

http://freshthyme.com/

http://journalstar.com/business/local/s ... 29ebc.html
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

How many will this make? They are building the one on West Maple, isn't there another one going in far southwest too? or is it just these two so far?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:How many will this make? They are building the one on West Maple, isn't there another one going in far southwest too? or is it just these two so far?
Wasn't one announced for the Crossroads?