UNO All-Star Coaching Staff X3

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

UNO All-Star Coaching Staff X3

Post by Coyote »

Mike Kemp out as coach? Associate AD in charge of Hockey? Announcement at 4.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just heard that.

Kevin and Mike'l are saying Quinn or Hastings to replace...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It is now official.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So is this Trev making a splash right away?
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trev said this is not a Demotion, but a Promotion, he said he could keep coaching, but if he wanted this new position its his.

Trev called him the God Father.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

He told Kemp if he wanted to remain as coach he would support him in every way he could. They want to take the hockey program to a new level and Kemp as the "Godfather" of the program would be the best person to do that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It sounds like he is breaking up - must be very emotional for him.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

May 14th Seg 7: Mike Kemp's Press Conference
Kevin and Mike'l carry the announcement of Mike Kemp's new job at UNO Athletics.
http://www.1620thezone.com/play_window. ... Id=3713634
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

So do we get Mike Hastings back here??  or does he see a better future in continuing to assist at Minnesota?
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:So do we get Mike Hastings back here??  or does he see a better future in continuing to assist at Minnesota?
Not sure if this means he would not take the job, but:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophe ... c:_Yyc:aUU
Hockey assistant staying
Gophers assistant hockey coach Mike Hastings said he is flattered to be mentioned as a candidate to be head coach at Nebraska-Omaha, but he is not pursuing the job.

"I am focused right now on doing everything I can for the University of Minnesota," said Hastings, who coached the Omaha Lancers of the USHL for 14 years before joining the U staff in 2008-09.

Mike Kemp resigned as UNO coach Thursday to become the school's associate athletic director.
David Quinn (Boston U) seems to be a name thrown around a lot.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Stargazer wrote:So do we get Mike Hastings back here??  or does he see a better future in continuing to assist at Minnesota?
I hope not.  Plenty of other names being tossed around who have better resumes than Hastings.  Dean Blais, two-time national champion head coach at North Dakota, is currently coaching in the USHL.  David Quinn, assistant coach with national champion Boston University.  Frank Serratore, who's been at Air Force for about 10 years.

Hastings probably should apply, but hopefully UNO will attract some interest from other candidates with more than one year of college experience.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Serratore has had a very 'Kemp like' career.

Quinn... certainly hasn't shown he can be head coach, and do we really want someone just because they have ties to Kemp (how about because they don't?) ?

Blais is headed in the wrong direction.

Hastings is the rising star... he CERTAINLY has experience coaching players in this age ... 'winningest' coach in USHL history, he knows the area... he would instantly bring a ton of Lancer fans to the Qwest Center.  I can't imagine why you'd want anyone else.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Stargazer wrote:Serratore has had a very 'Kemp like' career.

Quinn... certainly hasn't shown he can be head coach, and do we really want someone just because they have ties to Kemp (how about because they don't?) ?

Blais is headed in the wrong direction.

Hastings is the rising star... he CERTAINLY has experience coaching players in this age ... 'winningest' coach in USHL history, he knows the area... he would instantly bring a ton of Lancer fans to the Qwest Center.  I can't imagine why you'd want anyone else.
You're kidding me, right?  Blais wins two national titles for the Sioux, and then decides to give to jump to the NHL...only to decide he wanted to work with younger players.
A source close to the situation said that while Blais is expected to be the coach of the new Fargo-Moorhead franchise, he will keep his options open in case an attractive college coaching job opens.

Blais said on a Fargo radio show recently that he would definitely be interested in returning to coaching college hockey if the right job becomes available.

Blais is in Orono, Maine, this weekend to watch the Hockey East battle between Vermont and Maine, scouting free-agent prospects for the Blue Jackets. While he has been in charge of player development for Columbus, he is now on special assignment to rank the top 25 free agents.
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2 ... report.php

Hastings has ONE year of college experience.  ONE.

Blais has TWO years of experience where he won the national championship.  TWO.

You are right about the Lancer connection...but I don't think that UNO should make attracting Lancer fans to the Qwest Center an issue in the coaching search.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I think you're selling Hastings short on his 14 years as a USHL head coach.

I know Hastings would take a job at UNO for the long haul as well... he likes the area... Blais, who knows, why WOULDN'T he just ultimately go back to North Dakota (a far better supported hockey program)... having had this revelation that this is the level of hockey he wants to be in.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Stargazer wrote:I think you're selling Hastings short on his 14 years as a USHL head coach.
As a Knights fan in that era, you should know better than most the differences between the various levels of hockey.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

College Hockey New
Q&A with Mike Kemp

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2 ... qamike.php
CHN wrote:I'm absolutely thrilled. It's always a very bittersweet decision to think about changing careers, but quite honestly -- and I guess particularly in light of the fact that I've been doing this since I've been 23 years old -- that's a lot of water under the dam. What you love most is dealing wth the various players you deal with. But like everything else, there's other opportunities, and this is one to me that's absolutely thrilling.

I started this program. To this point in time, everything that's been decided, I've had a part in the decision. So certainly the opportunity to see this job through to completion is the best thing that could've possibly happened. There are exciting things on the horizon for our athletic department and hockey program, and to have a huge impact on that, for me was the right situation.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

As a Knights fan in that era, you should know better than most the differences between the various levels of hockey.
Oh yeah, 18 year old student athletes... versus 19-22 year old student athletes ... that's quite a transition.  And it must be tough going from that 60 game schedule to 30 games.  No doubt the smell on those longer bus trips is harder to get used to as well.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Stargazer wrote:
Oh yeah, 18 year old student athletes... versus 19-22 year old student athletes ... that's quite a transition.  And it must be tough going from that 60 game schedule to 30 games.  No doubt the smell on those longer bus trips is harder to get used to as well.
I really don't think Hastings will take the job here in Omaha, I have heard that Hastings is next in line for the job at the Minnesota and should be the head coach up there in 2 years. I think Quinn gets the job here in Omaha.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

If we can get him here, Quinn would be the perfect coach.  My friends that played for him at UNO can't speakly highly enough about him and the job he did here.  Between his work the the national program in Ann Arbor and now at BU, wow would be set to take UNO to the next level.

I do think though that Mike Hastings will make a very good coach in college.

Greg
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I really don't think Hastings will take the job here in Omaha, I have heard that Hastings is next in line for the job at the Minnesota and should be the head coach up there in 2 years. I think Quinn gets the job here in Omaha
That's the only reason I could see Hastings NOT coming to Omaha... Minnesota is a FAR better job... and that Minnesota would think that highly enough of him to share that same expectation (that he is next in line) says still more about the quality of coach Hastings is.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

cp jay 07 wrote:I really don't think Hastings will take the job here in Omaha, I have heard that Hastings is next in line for the job at the Minnesota and should be the head coach up there in 2 years. I think Quinn gets the job here in Omaha.
I forget the site (http://minnesotahockeyjournal.com, perhaps?) but I've read Minnesota hockey blogs that state the reason Mike Hastings was hired at Minnesota is that Hastings wasn't viewed as a threat to Don Lucia, unlike Mike Guentzel, who Hastings replaced.

Guentzel, who is also considered a candidate for UNO's job, is also a former Lancer coach in the early 90's.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Duluth News-Tribune reports that the WCHA commissioner is in Omaha to talk realignment, and that former NoDak head coach Dean Blais is the front-runner to replace Mike Kemp.
http://www.areavoices.com/rinkandrun/?blog=51753
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

6 interviewed...

http://omaha.com/article/20090609/SPORTS03/706099897

Your clubhouse leader:
[Former North Dakota head coach Dean] Blais, reached by telephone Tuesday, deflected questions about the vacancy and whether he has had an interest in it.

“I think you're better off talking to Trev Alberts,” Blais said. “I'm not going to get myself into a ‘he said, they said.'”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think he would be a good choice.  Taking an expansion team to the USHL finals is another great accomplishment to add to the two banners up at North Dakota.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Rumor mill is hot that UNO will be making an announcement today.  Who isn't clear.  Steve Rohlik, Dean Blais, and Princeton coach Guy Gadowsky seem to be the leaders at this point.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I can't wait!  Someone posted over on MavPuck that it will be announced at 2pm
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Just saw this over on Mavpuck.com
From Mike Kemp:

At 2:00 p.m. this afternoon a press conference will be held at the Scott Conference Center (6510 Pine Street) on the Ak-Sar-Ben grounds of the UNO campus. The press conference will introduce Dean Blais, former two-time NCAA Championship coach at the University of North Dakota, as the second head hockey coach in Maverick Hockey History. This is a great hire for our program and it should serve to continue the incredible momentum that our department has experienced since the hiring of Trev Alberts as our A.D.
Lancer Fans also know his as the coach of Fargo's USHL team this past season that went to the Championship.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It now looks to be Official!!!

UNO has its hockey coach

http://omaha.com/article/20090612/SPORTS/906129984
ROB WHITE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Dean Blais, one of the biggest names in college hockey coaching, will be introduced as UNO’s new coach in a 2 p.m. press conference Friday, according to sources with knowledge of the hire.

Blais led North Dakota to two national championships and a runner-up finish in a five-year stretch between 1997 and 2001. He took the Fighting Sioux to seven NCAA tournaments in 10 seasons, compiled a 262-115-33 record, won five regular-season Western Collegiate Hockey Association championships and two WCHA tournament titles.

He left North Dakota for the NHL’s Columbus Blue Jackets, for whom he worked in player development and as associate head coach. He then returned to North Dakota and spent last year as the head coach and general manager of the Fargo Force, the United States Hockey League expansion team that beat the Omaha Lancers in the playoffs and reached the Clark Cup finals.

The UNO position came open last month, when Athletic Director Trev Alberts promoted Mike Kemp to associate athletic director. Kemp, the only coach in the program’s 12-year history was 194-223-57 in his career, including 15-17-8 last season. UNO has made one trip to the NCAA tournament.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Having a 2 time National Champ coach has got to help the recruiting. I'm pretty stoked up about this one. Go Mavs!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Trev = 3pm hour
Dean = 4pm hour
Kemp = 5pm hour
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:1620

Trev = 3pm hour
Dean = 4pm hour
Kemp = 5pm hour

WHAT   ???    

Does that mean they are not all HUSKER football all the time?  What are things coming to?  :;):
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Does that mean they are not all HUSKER football all the time?  What are things coming to?  :;):
They were trying to compare this to Nebraska...

It would be like Augie Gorito coaching Nebraska, Creighton, or Iowa Baseball
It would be like Pete Carrol coaching Nebraska, or Iowa Football
It would be like Roy Williams coaching Nebraska, Creighton, or Iowa Basketball
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Does that mean they are not all HUSKER football all the time?  What are things coming to?  :;):

I don't know who any of those people are nor do I get the associations. Is this a good thing for UNO?
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It's Awesome!

2nd winningest active head coach in college hockey
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:
Brad wrote:

I don't know who any of those people are nor do I get the associations. Is this a good thing for UNO?
Translation:

It would be like John Waters directing the Omaha Community Playhouse.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Big E wrote: Translation:

It would be like John Waters directing the Omaha Community Playhouse.
I understand completely.
DTO
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Back on the top of UNO hockey...the rumor mill is hot that Mike Hastings is returning to Omaha to be an assistant coach for Dean Blais at UNO.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote:Back on the top of UNO hockey...the rumor mill is hot that Mike Hastings is returning to Omaha to be an assistant coach for Dean Blais at UNO.
Interesting, even more so considering the face that Blais doesn't know how long he will be able to coach.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hastings to be named UNO assistant

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090624/S ... /906249983
www.omaha.com wrote:Mike Hastings will be named an assistant on the staff of new UNO hockey coach Dean Blais, according to the St. Paul Pioneer Press and other sources.

Hastings, the long-time coach and general manager of the Omaha Lancers junior team, spent last season as the top assistant at Minnesota. He was 529-210-56 in 14 seasons with the Lancers.

Hastings was interviewed for the head coaching job that eventually went to Blais earlier this month. Blais, 58, signed a four-year contract with UNO.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Okay, this could be quite a staff... I'm curious what percentage of UNO's athletic department budget is tied to hockey now (not to speak of the 'assistant AD').