MECA Business News (CLCO/TDAPO)

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

One reason teams like playing at the Qwest Center.... They can drive right in when its 40 below outside!

Here is Drake's buss in the convention center!
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

That's also why bands like playing at the Qwest- all of their buses can park in the convention center and they don't have to worry about going outside :)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RegisResident wrote:That's also why bands like playing at the Qwest- all of their buses can park in the convention center and they don't have to worry about going outside :)
I think all of the officials and others were parked in there too.  There were a lot of cars right of the bus.

That bus is almost under the bud bar.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RegisResident wrote:That's also why bands like playing at the Qwest- all of their buses can park in the convention center and they don't have to worry about going outside :)
except the Harlem Globetrotters
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
except the Harlem Globetrotters

That was at the MAC...  (assuming you are referring to the graffiti incident)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

oh yeah - my bad
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

That's also why bands like playing at the Qwest- all of their buses can park in the convention center and they don't have to worry about going outside
A lot of them just park out back
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I don't know a lot about the bands, I do know that for UNO and Creighton, I see a lot of buses parked under the bud bar.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

In fact, here is the Husker bus:

There is a wall behind the bus that is the removable wall to the convention center.  The bud bar would be above the front of the bus.  I am standing in the Zamboni Enterance.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

The convention center is also why the NCAA loved Omaha during the basketball tourney. Not only could CBS, officials, and the teams all park inside, but the added room for the media work room, food, interview rooms, etc. was a big plus.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

OmahaBen wrote:The convention center is also why the NCAA loved Omaha during the basketball tourney. Not only could CBS, officials, and the teams all park inside, but the added room for the media work room, food, interview rooms, etc. was a big plus.
I can imaging... The regular media work room is full during a Creighton v Drake game.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

That neat being able to see behind the scenes like that.  I never knew I was sitting on top of a bus before.
where the corn meets the concrete
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

If youd ask the CVB youd get a different opinion.  They want the space that was intended for conventions to be used as such and not for parking indoors.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:If youd ask the CVB youd get a different opinion.  They want the space that was intended for conventions to be used as such and not for parking indoors.

I am sure the Qwest would too.  However, I have only been to 1 or 2 conventions that actually uses the entire convention center.  Most of the time that last section, where the bus parks, is still empty.  However when there is a convention there, they just move the bus over under the arena seating.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

ran across this interesting piece...

Look Out Omaha, L.A.'s Coming After Your Conventions
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MECA Officials Say Qwest Parking Still A Good Deal
Parking Rates Increase By $2

KETV wrote:Qwest Center officials said a $2 increase in parking fees is needed to fund facility maintenance. Dixon wouldn't say how much revenue the parking price increases would generate, but he did point out that the city still gets 70 percent of Qwest's parking profits. MECA recently commissioned a study that showed its parking is currently at or less than similar facilities in surrounding states, officials said.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Parking around At&T park in SanFrancisco was $40.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

While I agree that the parking should still be at least double what it is even after the $2 increase, why did they need to "commission a study" to find out the prices at area venues?  Wouldn't 5 or 6 phone calls take care of that in about 45 minutes?
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:While I agree that the parking should still be at least double what it is even after the $2 increase, why did they need to "commission a study" to find out the prices at area venues?  Wouldn't 5 or 6 phone calls take care of that in about 45 minutes?
They need to ask how far public transit is from their facility too.  People were paying that $40 with a Streetcar stop no more than 20' from the front door!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Heck, turn an intern loose on Google.  There...  study commissioned.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

MECA cash reserve grows

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101123/N ... erve-grows
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The operating authority behind the Qwest Center Omaha continues to spin a profit even through a tough economy that saw the number of concerts and attendance drop.

While its annual profit dropped 36 percent to $2.3 million in the fiscal year that ended June 30, the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority was able to increase its cash reserves to $12.7 million.

With the Qwest Center in its eighth year, MECA officials say it's time to start spending that money to keep up the city's $291 million investment. On tap for the current year are $3 million in replacement projects for concession registers and security, radio and phone systems. In future years, the arena scoreboard and convention center carpet are to be replaced.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:MECA cash reserve grows

http://www.omaha.com/article/20101123/N ... erve-grows
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The operating authority behind the Qwest Center Omaha continues to spin a profit even through a tough economy that saw the number of concerts and attendance drop.

While its annual profit dropped 36 percent to $2.3 million in the fiscal year that ended June 30, the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority was able to increase its cash reserves to $12.7 million.

With the Qwest Center in its eighth year, MECA officials say it's time to start spending that money to keep up the city's $291 million investment. On tap for the current year are $3 million in replacement projects for concession registers and security, radio and phone systems. In future years, the arena scoreboard and convention center carpet are to be replaced.
It would be nice if the scoreboard was more of a priority.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like MECA updated the Civic and Qwest's sites along with new TD and Red Sky websites.

http://www.omahacivic.com/

http://www.qwestcenteromaha.com/
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Willy Theisen appointed to MECA board
Omaha World-Herald wrote:Mayor Jim Suttle announced this afternoon that he will appoint Omaha businessman Willy Theisen to the board that operates TD Ameritrade Park and CenturyLink Center Omaha. Theisen will replace Omaha attorney David Kramer, whom the City Council appointed in 2007 to the board for the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:CenturyLink Center had a nearly $1.3 million profit for 2010-11 — a figure that, while it continued the facility's run of profitable years, was the lowest figure since its opening year.

Officials attributed that to a drop in large conventions and the lack of an NCAA event for the first time in the last six years.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120106/N ... profitable
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think 2012 will more than make up for the lower income in 2011.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

iamjacobm wrote:I think 2012 will more than make up for the lower income in 2011.
No kidding. This is going to be a super banner year.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Swim Trials, NCAA tourney kept CenturyLink in the black

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121214/N ... -the-black
Erin Golden WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The 10-year-old facility stayed in the black in the fiscal year that ended June 30, bringing in a net profit of $1.19 million.
Lots of details in the article.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Looks like a good next year, too, in terms of concerts. Not sure what "Big Events" there will be besides January's Skating, though.

Time to get more seats  :P
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

time to get that new scoreboard installed!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I haven't checked to see if anyone else has run this, but Nebraska Watchdog has posted a few stories within the past month about MECA's newest board member possibly pretending to live in Douglas County so she can sit on MECA's board, and also owning the janitorial firm that contracts with MECA for cleaning.

Initial August 23, 2013 story

Questions swirl around MECA’s newest board member
Does the newest member of Omaha’s powerful MECA board, who is also the owner of a large janitorial company doing business with MECA, live in a modest $125,000 home in South Omaha or a wooded $600,000 home in Bellevue?

Sources tell Nebraska Watchdog that is just one of the questions surrounding Jamie Gutierrez Mora and her ability to hold her seat on the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority, which runs the CenturyLink Center.
September 3, 2013

Investigations roll on as more questions surface for MECA board member
As city officials investigate the newest member of Omaha’s powerful MECA board, Nebraska Watchdog’s own investigation is raising more questions.

Nebraska Watchdog first reported that Jaime Gutierrez Mora’s ability to sit on the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority—which runs the CenturyLink Center, TD Ameritrade Park and the Civic Auditorium—is up in the air, with her home address and the requirement that she be a “resident elector” of Douglas County under review.
September 5, 2013

Exclusive: Omaha labor leader backing embattled arena board member
Despite a series of questions, including where she lives and where she votes, Jamie Gutierrez Mora—a member of the powerful MECA board and owner of a large janitorial firm—has at least two well-known defenders.

Nebraska Watchdog has learned that Omaha labor leader Terry Moore and State Sen. Brad Ashford are backing Gutierrez Mora’s troubled seat on the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority. MECA runs the CenturyLink Center, TD Ameritrade Park and Civic Auditorium.

In a letter to Mayor Jean Stothert, obtained by Nebraska Watchdog, Moore and Ashford—two founding members of the original MECA board—make the case that Gutierrez Mora has “strong ties to Douglas County.”

Those “strong ties” come in the face of a city investigation into some of the woman’s credentials.

As Nebraska Watchdog first reported Gutierrez Mora, who was appointed to MECA by the city council in May, told city officials she lives at 5029 South 19th St.—a modest $125,000 multi-family residence in South Omaha. According to the Sarpy County Assessor’s web site, she owns a $600,000 home in Bellevue at 107 N. Bellevue Blvd.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Stothert irked after MECA board member Gutierrez Mora misses meeting
MECA board member Jamie Gutierrez Mora missed a scheduled meeting with Mayor Jean Stothert on Monday morning in which the two had planned to discuss questions surrounding Gutierrez Mora’s eligibility to serve on the board.
Gutierrez Mora defends residency, MECA eligibility
When she joined the MECA board and registered to vote, Jamie Gutierrez Mora said she firmly believed her longtime business, volunteer and civic connections in Omaha — and owning property in the city — provided ample reason for her to be considered a Douglas County resident.
Leave MECA rules alone, Mayor Stothert says
MECA's rules should not be changed to allow non-Douglas County residents to serve on the organization's prominent board, Mayor Jean Stothert said Friday.
Secretary of state investigating MECA member's voter registration

Nebraska Secretary of State John Gale is investigating the voter registration of MECA board member Jamie Gutierrez Mora.
Majority of council believes Gutierrez Mora should stay on MECA board
A majority of Omaha City Council members believe Jamie Gutierrez Mora should remain on the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority board — and they support an effort to change the rules about board members' residency requirements.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

We're one big happy metro area until we're not. Because nobody from Ralston, Bellevue, LaVista, Papillion, CB, Plattsmouth, Springfield, Gretna or, heaven forbid, unincorporated Douglas County benefits from CLC or is qualified to be on such a board.  :roll:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

almighty_tuna wrote:We're one big happy metro area until we're not. Because nobody from Ralston, Bellevue, LaVista, Papillion, CB, Plattsmouth, Springfield, Gretna or, heaven forbid, unincorporated Douglas County benefits from CLC or is qualified to be on such a board.  :roll:
For the most part I agree Tuna.

However the only thought that crossed my mine is that the Omaha Tax Payers are still technically on the line for this arena if something happened.  Its just might be a safety net to have the residency requirement so that all memebers have skin in the game...

That said, I think the bigger issue here is going to be voter fraud.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:We're one big happy metro area until we're not. Because nobody from Ralston, Bellevue, LaVista, Papillion, CB, Plattsmouth, Springfield, Gretna or, heaven forbid, unincorporated Douglas County benefits from CLC or is qualified to be on such a board.  :roll:
For the most part I agree Tuna.

However the only thought that crossed my mine is that the Omaha Tax Payers are still technically on the line for this arena if something happened.  Its just might be a safety net to have the residency requirement so that all memebers have skin in the game...

That said, I think the bigger issue here is going to be voter fraud.

Living in Gretna and speeking only for myself I will say that I do not think that I should have a representative on the MECA board.  EWven though it is a regional asset and used and enjoyed by many more than those in Omaha, to Brads point I am only on the line for paying for the portion that I want to spend my $$ on.

Things would be difforent if the effort to create a regional tax base that was tried would have been worked out.  Wasn't it the ballpark where this idea was flaoted?  If that would be the case then no only would I expect it I would demand the representation....
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Re: MECA Business News (CLCO/TDAPO)

Post by Brad »

MECA hopes cellphone tower helps service at CenturyLink Center

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/mec ... paign=ketv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ketv.com wrote:
OMAHA, Neb. —The Metropolitan Entertainment & Convention Authority hopes the installation of a new cellphone tower will help with cell reception at the CenturyLink Center and TD Ameritrade Park.

By the end of January, concert and sporting-event goers will be able to get 4G service. Service will extend to TD Ameritrade Park by May.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'll believe it when I see it. 20 minutes before CU games all I can do is text on my phone, same at Memorial Stadium...
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Not just at the venues. When I'm at work down the street during games/concerts/etc my reception goes to |expletive| as well. Worst reception down there I've ever experienced was prom night + CLC sold out concert + CU baseball game. Would've had better response with a carrier pigeon.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Offering Wi-Fi would probably help with bandwidth congestion. I highly doubt that voice and SMS are what's causing service issues.