Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its a nation wide decision.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Greg S wrote:144th and Maple, 108th and Fort, 72nd and Maple, and Bellevue.  Any more?

It's going they are coming now, we need the construction jobs in Omaha.

Greg
Yes.  30 something and Q is a target, 50ish and Dodge also, among probably a dozen other more general areas they are looking in.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We just talked about it in the CVS thread today.  I can't find that thread.

Edit - Found it and Merged it with your post.  Luck thread #7777
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The piano store is being renovated for new users.  Actually the entire building is being renovated and should end up looking as much as possible like it originally did.  

CVS is indeed going on the other corner but the City has an ACI district there that should make it a pretty good site.  There will be a lot of parking so it may not be ideal but still pretty good.  The corner will be held!
debtzapper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by debtzapper »

NovakOmaha wrote:Woo Hoo!  Now, on to Rite Aid!
OMG a Rite Aid invasion would create a holy trinity! But ya, as a former Californian I remember how Walgreens had invaded us over there back in the late 90's, and now CVS is doing the same thing from there to here. Would definitely love to get Rite Aid too, they have the most amazing retail stuff!

I still have my CVS rewards keyfob from when I lived in L.A. Luckily I didn't throw it out.
debtzapper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by debtzapper »

Uffda wrote:So is the one at 144th and Maple
That'll be MY branch 'cause I live off 99th and Fort. As if I'm not already drowning in 3 Walgreens along 90th between Fort and Dodge.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

There are Rite Aids and CVS and Walgreens where I live.  In my opinion Walgreens has the widest variety of products, but they all give a similar pharmacy service.  

There are other stores to get excited about.  If you have a chance, give the locally owned pharmacy a chance.  In Omaha, Kohll;s Pharmacy sponsors scholarships at Creighton.  Not bad.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

debtzapper wrote:
That'll be MY branch 'cause I live off 99th and Fort. As if I'm not already drowning in 3 Walgreens along 90th between Fort and Dodge.
You're going to drive 57 blocks to go to a CVS when there are multiple closer Walgreen's? How L.A.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
debtzapper wrote:
You're going to drive 57 blocks to go to a CVS when there are multiple closer Walgreen's? How L.A.
Considering there is a CVS just about to open at 108th and Fort!
debtzapper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by debtzapper »

I meant the one on 108th and Fort. (Quoted the wrong post)
debtzapper
New to the Neighborhood

Post by debtzapper »

Greg S wrote:144th and Maple, 108th and Fort, 72nd and Maple, and Bellevue.  Any more?

Greg

I wonder if CB is getting any?
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

debtzapper wrote:

Greg

I wonder if CB is getting any?
Yup...
http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=9712
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Have any of the CVS locations opened yet?
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

windsor wrote:Have any of the CVS locations opened yet?
Not sure either.  As fast as the threw the building up on 108 and Fort, they sure seem to be taking a long time to get it open.

I noticed Corkey's on 72 and Maple has moved so may be they are getting ready to start that location.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Last Friday night the one on West Maple was not open and looked like there was still interior work to be completed before they could even start to stock inventory.  Wasn't this the first one to be started?
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I am not sure about the construction time frame, but it was the first one where they demolished the old building.
where the corn meets the concrete
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

windsor wrote:I am not sure about the construction time frame, but it was the first one where they demolished the old building.
The "old" building was maybe 2 years old.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote:
windsor wrote:I am not sure about the construction time frame, but it was the first one where they demolished the old building.
The "old" building was maybe 2 years old.
Not old but much more than 2 years.  The Timber Lodge that was there closed 2 years ago already and it was open for a number of years.  

Here is mention of the closing in March of 08

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... mber+lodge
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is a quick on from 108th and fort:

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow. Pretty much the exact same concept as Walgreen's, huh?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Wow. Pretty much the exact same concept as Walgreen's, huh?
Exactly what I was thinking!  Of course, it would look a whole lot better if the building actually adjoined a sidewalk.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

I can vouch that CVS and Walgreen's are so close in concept that most will not be able to really distinguish any difference.  I have used CVS many times before, and at times I'd forget that it wasn't Walgreen's.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

84th and Center(SE) is their latest target location.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

84th and Center(SE) is their latest target location.
Where could a CVS fit around here?  There is that spot that they are going to build that strip mall right on 84th and center that hasn't started yet but other than that they'll have to tear down some buildings to fit it somewhere in this area.  I wouldn't be opposed to it though
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The vacant SE corner would be my guess.

I drove by the CVS site at 108th and Fort.  Man that building is ugly.  What happened to design standards for this city, or should I say this town?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The entire block (gas station, corkey's auto, and several houses) is now fenced off ready for demolition at 72 and Maple.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

These are the slowest opening chain stores ever.  

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Greg S wrote:These are the slowest opening chain stores ever.  

Greg
I drove by there this weekend and said to myself "they aren't open YET?" The building appears to have been done for a couple of months, and the sign outside has said "CVS" for weeks.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's amazing how long the outsides have been complete yet they don't seem to have any merchandise in them yet.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They still don't seem to be close to opening.  Never seen anything like this with chain stores in the past.  Normally as soon as major construction ends they are doing the interior and stocking the shelves.  Anybody know what's up?  Have they started hiring yet?

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

There is now a CVS coming soon sign on 144th street and Industial or there abouts.  The empty building that was most recently a carpet store sits on the property.  This is to the East of Super Saver
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

nebugeater wrote:There is now a CVS coming soon sign on 144th street and Industial or there abouts.  The empty building that was most recently a carpet store sits on the property.  This is to the East of Super Saver
Millard Ave. & P Street.  Was an Osco Drug, had everything torn out for Carpet Land and is now having it all put back in for another drug store.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

joeglow wrote:
nebugeater wrote:There is now a CVS coming soon sign on 144th street and Industial or there abouts.  The empty building that was most recently a carpet store sits on the property.  This is to the East of Super Saver
Millard Ave. & P Street.  Was an Osco Drug, had everything torn out for Carpet Land and is now having it all put back in for another drug store.
I imagine they would strip the inside even if it was outfitted for an Osco.  Most of these chain stores have such a specific interior layout and decor that goes with their branding that they won't reuse someone else's interior.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Seth wrote:
joeglow wrote:
I imagine they would strip the inside even if it was outfitted for an Osco.  Most of these chain stores have such a specific interior layout and decor that goes with their branding that they won't reuse someone else's interior.

I will not be surprised if they tear it down and start over.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Anyone have any idea why all these stores aren't opening?  The one on 108 and Fort has appeared to be complete and ready to go for some time now.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

CVS is starting to become a legitimate candidate for the "Minarded" category...though technically, the stores are built.  Just never finished...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

DO they have one construction crew and are just moving them around and after all that want to open all at one time with a splash?   :mrgreen:  

(only half joking)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I think they said the other day on grow Omaha a few of them would open in August.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

nebugeater wrote:DO they have one construction crew and are just moving them around and after all that want to open all at one time with a splash?   :mrgreen:  

(only half joking)
Oddly the 2 finished(?) ones had 2 different general contractors.  144th had Darland, and 108th had DooleyMack.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like the Demo is nearly complete for the CVS location in Bellevue location where the Krispy Kreem location was.  Another 18 months or so and they should be open.