The Vortex Tower

Proposed Development Projects that got Minarded.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

AZCorey
Home Owners Association

The Vortex Tower

Post by AZCorey »

Okay...obviously I'm a little bored today, so I'm surfing the net.....and I get to http://www.skyscrapers.com , I click on Omaha....I do some snooping and start reading about this 'Vortex Tower'??? It says its 60 stories tall...and of course my head says....'that would be an amazing addition to the downtown skyline!'....what is this tower and what's the likelihood???
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The vortex is the brainchild of a graphic artist by the name of Robert Hogenmiller. It's been around for quite some time, but there's never been any serious effort as far as I can tell in developing it. I personally never cared for it... like it more with the bottom things removed, even then don't like it downtown (he proposed it somewhere along I-80 out by Mahoney)...

Here's a link to his website...
http://www.rchjr.com/vortex1.htm
DTO Luv
City Council

Vortex Tower could have been next to the Qwest Center.

Post by DTO Luv »

I heard back from Mr. Hogenmiller today about the Vortex Tower. I had asked him if he had considered a DT location. He said that was actually his first choice, to place it next to the Qwest Center. He was encouraged to do it but his plan was later nixed by Hal Daub in 98-99. (Why Hal? Why?) He has tried to set up a meeting with Mike Fahey, but has been unsuccesful. He said the I-80 426 exit was an option because it was approved by govt. authorities quickly. He said if I or anyone else had the power to sway city officials that he would appreciate the help. DT was obviously his first choice after all. I will try to piece something together on my own for Jim Vokal since it will be in his district.
DTO
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Vortex Tower

Post by OmahaDevelopmentMan »

I was looking on emporis.com tonight, and stumbled upon the page for the Vortex tower. Anyone know how long ago this came about or have and pictures of it?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I think I speak for my self, the toaster, and a few illegal immigrants lurking on this forum when I say: huh?
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Wow, that would be pretty cool in downtown O.

A perfect spot for it would be where the old plant is just south of Con Agra on the riverfront.
edsas
Human Relations

Post by edsas »

Neither Daub nor Fahey wanted it downtown, so the designer sought to put it along the interstate near Ashland. Cass County gave its approval about 5 years ago and that's about the last we've herd of it. The cost was supposed to be something like $35 million which, apparently, was never raised. The project is all but dead, I'd say.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

edsas wrote: The project is all but dead, I'd say.
Yeah, I'd agree. I wrote to the designer about a year ago and inquired as to how I could be of assistance in making it a reality. Not to sound like I'm bashing him, but when he found out I could not provide financial assistance, he never returned my e-mail. So...I got to assume its pretty much dead too.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Why wouldn't Daub or Fahey want a 610 ft observation tower in downtown???
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Look at the thing, it's a disaster.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

DMRyan, do you have a picture?
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

It looks just as silly as the giant tornado observation tower proposed in KC. The Jetson's would be proud though.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think it was one of those things some guy dreamed up with no clue how to fund it. I thought of it as dead on arrival.

Greg
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

I agree Ryan. Looking back now I don't know why I was so interested in getting this thing built. I don't really care for it either.
DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

I'm all for Omaha getting an observation tower, but this design is a joke.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

WOW, i see now why they didn't want that in downtown. It would have made our skyline a freaking joke! I think an observation tower would be great in downtown though. I mean it would give a great view of the bluffs and river. Just as long as it doesn't look like it is from the Jetsons though.
jborg
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jborg »

I don't know how long ago this was, but I thought he had redesigned it since that picture and took off the ugly legs at the bottom.
OmahaDevelopmentMan
Human Relations

Taking away the legs would help a lot, but it would still need a lot of work.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

doesn't matter. I don't think any tax dollars were going to be used for the thing and I doubt there would be enough private dollars to get it off the ground. The pedestrian bridge would be a lot better choice.
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Gah! That is ugly, but I still like the idea of an observation tower downtown. That sort of thing becomes a nice draw for tourism.

As much as I like the pedestrian bridge, the only tourism it will bring is a few folks from CB walking downtown.

Once the bridge gets completed, I'd love to see this idea come back to life....with a better design.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm glad we appear to have a solid consensus.
KansasCityCraka
New to the Neighborhood

Post by KansasCityCraka »

It looks just as silly as the giant tornado observation tower proposed in KC. The Jetson's would be proud though.
Amen :lol:

Kansas City Population:

452,496 in city
1,981,639 in metro
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I have emailed the guy who designed it, Robert Hogenmiller, and he said he approached HDR about developing it and possibly being a part of the North DT area somewhere near the Qwest Center. I'm sure that that design won't be final but an observation tower would be nice for DT. I am supposed email him back after news years about some other questions I had.

I've been to towers like this in Niagara Falls and Toronto and they were both really cool. If it was 610' it'd be taller than the Space Needle. I would like to see it or something like it built DT and I think that as more people are in the area that they will want more recreational opportunites and this would be a unique one.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Its funny if you have been reading this forum long enough, about every year this stupid Vortex tower seems to show up.
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

It was a unique vision. Someone wanting an "Arch" type of monument for Omaha. I think people are trying to hard.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Where's our damn tornado tower that looks nothing like a tornado?
Tornado
Home Owners Association

Post by Tornado »

Wow..........blast from the past.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

reminds me of the jetsons.
Go Cubs Go
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From the Omaha World-Herald dated October 2, 1997:
""Paris has the Eiffel Tower. St. Louis has its Gateway Arch. Seattle has the Space Needle. Now, Robert Hogenmiller Jr., an Omaha commercial artist, proposes a 610-foot-high stainless-steel landmark for Omaha: Vortex, the Tornado Tower. The tower, at an estimated cost of $35 million, would include a restaurant, a tornado museum, a virtual-reality theater depicting a tornado, an education-conference center on tornado safety, an amusement ride to the top and observation decks with 25-mile views. At night, lasers would give the tower the illusion of spinning counter-clockwise like a tornado, said Hogenmiller, who doesn't yet have financial backing for his idea..... ' We certainly wouldn't want people to think Omaha is glorifying a tornado,' said T.J.Knight, president of Downtown Omaha, 'But once you get beyond that, the tower would be a wonderful educational and entertainment facility. ’
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Finally found it:

Welcome to the Vortex
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm surprised nobody was willing to fund that given all the credibility within the web page. The renderings and name dropping sure sold me.

:sarcasm:
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Wow, what a joke that was.

For some reason, and I guess this was because I was never interested in it as a serious proposal, I never realized that the Vortex was proposed for along the interstate between Omaha and Lincoln, which is an even more hair brained idea.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't think some sort of observation tower would be a bad idea for the CB side of the bridge down the road. Obviously something much less obtrusive but the views of the bridge, skyline, and bluffs would be great.
DTO
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

DTO Luv wrote:I don't think some sort of observation tower would be a bad idea for the CB side of the bridge down the road. Obviously something much less obtrusive but the views of the bridge, skyline, and bluffs would be great.
DTO: I'm glad to see you posting!

and for what it's worth, i agree.  It'd be nice to have it near the narrows with a couple different levels so you could still get a good view of the river/natural surroundings and another for long range views.
Go Cubs Go
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

So...How about that Sarpy County...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good pull!
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Whereas Tapei apparently is getting this bit of awesomeness.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Whats that project called? ^^^^
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Linkin5 wrote:Whats that project called? ^^^^
The tornado tower in tapei
http://plusmood.com/2009/03/tornado-tow ... us-wagner/