Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

Nebraska Moving to the Big 10???

Post by joeglow »

Found an interesting read on this today:

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/

This appears to be gaining more discussion.

Upon Edit:  Feel free to move this.  I don't know how I posted it in Welcome to Omaha.
Stargazer
County Board

The Big 10 thread

Post by Stargazer »

Obviously, pretty speculative here... but the drum beat continues to grow louder.
WDNU 16 South Bend wrote:A source in St. Louis familiar with the situation told NewsCenter 16 Thursday afternoon that Missouri will leave the Big XII and soon join the Big 10. Other schools expected to follow the Tigers are Syracuse, Pitt, Rutgers and Nebraska.

Many have speculated that such an expansion would include Notre Dame but ND athletic director Jack Swarbrick told me today that the Irish prefer to stay independent in football and in the Big East for other sports. Swarbrick said maintaining football Independence is such a part of what Notre Dame is.

He went on to say the Big East is a great partner for the University in other sports.

"We do have to monitor what is going on," Swarbrick said. "There will be significant shifts. "Hopefully we can navigate them by keeping our football independent and keeping our Big East affiliation because that is what we care about."

The move of Syracuse, Pitt and Rutgers to the Big Ten from the Big East could categorically change the landscape of the Big East itself. Thus, what Swarbrick is referring to when stating the University must continue to monitor what is going on.

The interview with Swarbrick was done before the late afternoon announcement.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Anyone care to remind me just what exactly the benefits are of Nebraska leaving the big 12 for the big 10?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

S33 wrote:Anyone care to remind me just what exactly the benefits are of Nebraska leaving the big 12 for the big 10?
It's better to ask what the benefits of Nebraska leaving what's left of the Big XII for the Big(ger) 10.

If the Big Ten expands by one, it's probably a bit of a wash and probably even a disadvantage.  The Big Ten has better television contracts, and Nebraska's share of TV money could double.  But the travel expenses would also increase.

But if the Big Ten expands to 16, then it becomes a question of who else is jumping ship.  The SEC has already stated they won't sit by and let the Big Ten be bigger than the SEC, so they'll match any expansion.

If that happens, expansion won't be limited to east coast schools in the ACC and Big East.  They'll want some football powers to join in as well to maintain their star power.

Missouri has long been rumored to join the Big Ten as well.  Colorado has long been rumored to be a target of the Pac 10.  If those two schools jump, who replaces them?  Then, what if the SEC makes Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M offers they can't refuse?

Suddenly, the Big Twelve is left with Iowa State, Baylor, and Texas Tech and is looking to merge with the Mountain West.

You don't want to be the last person left at this party when everybody else has hooked up with new partners.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Sounds like the Big12's biggest threat could be speculation alone. I guess I don't care either way, but it was nice having competitive teams like Oklahoma and Texas in the same conference.

I may be wrong, but I don't see any teams in the Big10 with the ability to be as consistent.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Nebraska gets roughly $9 M annually in the B12 from TV revenue.  Current B10 members get roughly $22 M.

The Big Ten is not run by Texas and its lackeys.

The Big Ten has decent bowl tie-ins.

Suddenly, my away game options include: Minneapolis, Indianapolis, Chicago, Columbus, Madison and, if the rumors are true, Pittsburgh and New York City.

Compare that to Austin, Boulder, Lubbock, Waco, Norman, Stillwater, College Station, the other Manhattan, Lawrence, and Ames.

And Nebraska gets roughly $9 M annually in the B12 from TV revenue.  Current B10 members get roughly $22 M.  Wasn't sure if you saw that before.
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'd rather have a large number of competitive school's (and I'd say Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan have been nearly as consistent as NU over decades time)... than Texas and OU and a bunch of crappy schools, competing for a once in a blue moon success year, beyond that.  It's all about the money... in the Big 10... NU makes lots of it.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Also, take in to account the 4-division scenario that is being thrown about.  It fits perfectly in to a 4-team conference championship:

- Four divisions of four teams each

- Play all three teams in your division every year + rotate two teams from every other division =  9 game conference schedule. (No reason you couldn't play three teams from every other division and completely fill your schedule every year with conference teams and eliminate scheduling issues, but I think that would get monotonous.)

- Seed the four division winners

- Have two weekends of national TV exposure while everyone else is watching the D 1-AA playoffs

- Potential for two OSU vs Michigan games
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:
And Nebraska gets roughly $9 M annually in the B12 from TV revenue.  Current B10 members get roughly $22 M.  Wasn't sure if you saw that before.
Good as reason as any on that one. Didn't know there was such a revenue difference between the two conferences. Good point on travel, too.
Stargazer wrote:I'd rather have a large number of competitive school's (and I'd say Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan have been nearly as consistent as NU over decades time)... than Texas and OU and a bunch of crappy schools, competing for a once in a blue moon success year, beyond that.  It's all about the money... in the Big 10... NU makes lots of it.
Better than Nebraska in the last ten years, sure. I still think the level of play between the big 12 and big 10 in the last ten years is significantly different as a whole, with the big 12 being the better of the two.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

S33 wrote:Better than Nebraska in the last ten years, sure. I still think the level of play between the big 12 and big 10 in the last ten years is significantly different as a whole, with the big 12 being the better of the two.
No question there.  But I think NU would go join the Big Sky or MVC if the money were right.

NU has to find a revenue source.  It does not have the population in Nebraska to justify it on its own.  It DOES, however, bring the national cache that would bring in the national cash from an independent cable network (ie, B10 Network).  The B12 has been lazy on this damn near to the point of criminal negligence.

The B12 does not have the names or the population (or the insane fan base) that the SEC has, and they just signed a contract with ESPN that makes....  well, I don't have a good analogy because there isn't one.  The SEC is printing |expletive| money.

And the rest of the B12 continues to kiss Texas' long horn.
Last edited by Big E on Mon May 03, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Big E wrote:
S33 wrote:Better than Nebraska in the last ten years, sure. I still think the level of play between the big 12 and big 10 in the last ten years is significantly different as a whole, with the big 12 being the better of the two.
No question there.  But I think NU would go join the Big Sky or MVC if the money were right.
Might not be a bad thing for their lousy basketball program.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The best thing if Nebraska does move is that the Big 10 will force the school to boost its research and development to atleast be on a similar level as some of the schools in the conference.  If they do move academics will be forced to be upgraded which is always a positive.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Better than Nebraska in the last ten years, sure. I still think the level of play between the big 12 and big 10 in the last ten years is significantly different as a whole, with the big 12 being the better of the two.
I wouldn't say the level of play is significantly different between the two conferences... in fact, I would say the defensive play of the Big 10 is superior to that of the Big 12 (by the way... I'm talking about football, because when it comes right down to it... that is ALL THAT MATTERS).  We look like we've had these high powered offenses, which suddenly look more mortal in out of conference play.   The Big 10 had some mediocre years in the past decade to be sure, but I'd say they finished pretty strong this last season.  Consider they beat both the PAC-10 and ACC conference champions.  Penn State beat a 9-win LSU... Wisconsin beat 9-win Miami.  We sent Texas to another losing effort at the national title game while we celebrate our throttling of 8-win Arizona.  Oklahoma barely beat an 8-win Stanford, Mizzou and Okie State are throttled by their 8-win opponents.  I guess the other highlights would be our head to head wins over 6-win Minnesota and Michigan State by ISU and Tech.

I'd say we're pretty evenly matched... so, tie goes to the money... which the Big 10 wins by a mile.  Here's to hoping I can tune into the Big 10 (or 16?) network to watch my game every week!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

With the exception of Texas, the big12 was indeed pretty disappointing last year. However, it definitely wasn't indicative of the previous 9 years. But yes, I look forward to any additional televised game which I don't have to pay for and not have to see Eric Crouch's low budget pre-game shows.  :;):
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The other thing to keep in mind:

NO MORE PAY PER VIEW

Assuming your cable provider has the B10 network, ALL games are televised... including the biggies with Western Kentucky and South Dakota State.
Stable genius.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

If Nebraska gets the offer to move to the Big 10, that's about the easiest decision ever for Perlman and the Regents to make. They definitely say yes with absolutely zero hesitation.

I still am not sold on Nebraska getting that offer, however, especially if it's only one team (which is all the Big Ten "needs," if the expansion is simply to get a football title game). If we're talking about 5, it becomes more realistic for Nebraska to be part of a larger package of teams.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I thought it was pretty eye opening on the TV numbers Nebraska delivers:

http://betteroffred.fantake.com/2010/04 ... -up-again/
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would like to see them join the Big 10. I still will hate them just the same but I think the Big 10 is a better conference.
DTO
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

Good article that sums up all the possible scenarios....

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/ ... /index.htm

Gives good perspective on the players behind the scenes.

Ultimately ending with the 5 16 team Mega-Conference scenario:

Big 10 acquires:

Mizzou, NU, ND, Pitt, Rutgers

ACC acquires:

Cincinatti, Louisville, Syracuse, West Virginia

SEC acquires:

Texas, A&M, OU, OSU

PAC10 acquires:

Colorado, Utah, Boise, BYU, and two others from WAC/MAC

Whats left of Big XII:

Merges with WAC/MAC teams
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Choleric wrote:Big 10 acquires:

This one makes the most sense out of all of them.  Probably the least likeliest to happen, though.
Stable genius.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

iamjacobm wrote:The best thing if Nebraska does move is that the Big 10 will force the school to boost its research and development to atleast be on a similar level as some of the schools in the conference.  If they do move academics will be forced to be upgraded which is always a positive.
Help me, but there is a national organization that is by invite only for academics.  All the Big 11 schools are members.  I know Nebraska and Missouri are members (with UNL getting invited a couple years ago).
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

Big E wrote:
Choleric wrote:Big 10 acquires:

This one makes the most sense out of all of them.  Probably the least likeliest to happen, though.
SI is far from the first to come to this conclusion:

http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/

I would not be surprised to see it happen.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

joeglow wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:The best thing if Nebraska does move is that the Big 10 will force the school to boost its research and development to atleast be on a similar level as some of the schools in the conference.  If they do move academics will be forced to be upgraded which is always a positive.
Help me, but there is a national organization that is by invite only for academics.  All the Big 11 schools are members.  I know Nebraska and Missouri are members (with UNL getting invited a couple years ago).
Can't remember the name of that one, but I know what you're talking about.

The real big one for Big Ten members is membership in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation (CIC), which is made up of current Big Ten members plus the U of Chicago (grandfathered in as a founding member of the Big Ten).
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

AAU

Association of American Universities

http://www.aau.edu
Stable genius.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I hate that college athletics is all about the money now.  Kind of ironic considering the probation the NCAA hands out when the green gets close to players.

I hate the idea of two 16 team conferences.  The Big 10 and Slac Ten enjoy an advantage currently on the playing field by not having to play that extra championship game.  Of course, money trumphs those considerations, but consider that only two teams out of 32 will make it out with a legitimate title shot.  i guess that'll give an advantage to the left-overs(i.e. remaining conferences) which probably will have played inferior teams to get there.  Of course the pollsters will probably only attempt to pit the winner of the Big 16 vs. the winner of the SEC 16.  Booo :(

Still, at this point I'd support the move of Nebraska to the Big 10, leaving behind the Lone Star Conference.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well some of the things talked about if they do expand to 16 is getting 2 automatic BCS bids for the conference instead of one.  And if there are 5 16 team conferences than most will be pretty tough to run through undefeated.  If the Big10(11) and SEC go to 16 the Pac-10 will make a move and the ACC will have to do something.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Think of this (which if one conf goes to 16, at least four will be inevitable, as the Pac 10 and SEC cherry pick the B12 and MWC/WAC):

- Every 16 team conference is in four divisions, with a four team season ending tournament ending no later than the second Saturday in December.  

- Take a week off.  Top four conf tourney champs are re-seeded for the national tourney.  Other bowls played normally.

- Only 4 teams play 15 games, only 2 teams play 16 games (which for some reason is OK for every other level of college football, with less depth on the roster)... season over by the second week of January, before most schools start the spring semester.  (Every bowl team plays at least 13 games now.)
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is true it is just one more step towards a playoff system in college football.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, there's a few bloggers out there who have made the same revelation.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big Ten makes initial offer to Big 12 pair

http://www.810whb.com/article/3527
Kevin Kietzman wrote:The Big Ten Conference has extended initial offers to join the league to four universities including Missouri and Nebraska from the Big 12, according to multiple sources close to the negotiations.

While nothing can be approved until the Big Ten presidents and chancellors meet the first week of June in Chicago, the league has informed the two Big 12 schools, Notre Dame and Rutgers that it would like to have them join. It is not yet clear whether the Big Ten will expand to 14 or 16 teams but sources indicated Missouri and Nebraska are invited in either scenario.  Notre Dame has repeatedly declined the opportunity to join the Big Ten.  If Notre Dame remains independent, Rutgers would be the 14th team.  The Big Ten would then decide whether to stop at 14 or extend offers to two other schools.  If Notre Dame joins, sources say an offer will be extended to one other school making it a 16-team league.

In order for the University of Missouri to join the Big Ten, the Missouri Board of Regents will still have to approve the move.  Sources close to the governing body say the Big Ten has told officials that Mizzou could add $1.3 million per month in revenue to the lucrative Big Ten Television Network.  The Big Ten Network is currently offered on basic cable to very few of over 7 million residents living in Missouri television markets and adding it throughout the state will be a windfall for the conference.

Big Ten representatives have also told Missouri officials they would like to have the entire expansion process wrapped up this summer with a formal announcement coming no later than July.

The University of Missouri is currently under contract with the Big 12 conference and will have to pay a stiff penalty to leave the Big 12.  The Big 12 charter states any member will lose between 50 and 100 percent of its shared annual revenue depending on the length of notice any school gives.  According to published reports, Missouri receives around $9 million annually in shared football revenue from the Big 12.  According to sources, it seems likely Missouri would give one- year notice.   It is projected that Missouri's football revenues would increase by $10 million or more per year when it joins the Big Ten versus what it currently receives in the Big 12.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

that would sure be something.  I'm a husker fan, my wife's a hawkeye fan.  Could make for some interesting saturdays!
Go Cubs Go
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The Nebraska response to this rumor and as expected it says nothing has hapened

http://www.huskerlocker.com/blogs/view/ ... ansion/o/0

We recognize the intense speculation about conference realignment and the possible impact it may have on Nebraska. Both Chancellor Harvey Perlman and Athletic Director Tom Osborne have indicated that the university would consider any opportunity that would advance the interests of the university. The University of Nebraska has not been offered any opportunity to move from the Big 12. We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference. Until the Big 10 Conference makes and announces its decision on expansion, the University of Nebraska will have no further comment and we do not intend to continue to respond further to questions or speculations on this subject
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Translation:

Nothing official has happened, but United might want to start ramping up flights to Chicago when NU plays Northwestern.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard its going to be all rumors and speculation until June when some meeting takes place.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:I heard its going to be all rumors and speculation until June when some meeting takes place.
"Officially", you're probably right.
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

We remain committed to the success of the Big 12 Conference.
LOL, sounds just like a few years back when they announced they were committed to Pedersen and Callaghan. :) :)

Personally, I think that a move to the Big 10 would give us far better national exposure, particularly to the eastern part of the country.

It may even give us more regular TV games, and fewer pay per view ones. :)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Omababe wrote:It may even give us more regular TV games, and fewer pay per view ones.
There's no "may" about it.  EVERY football game in the B10 is televised by their network.  It has huge implications for all the other sports, as well.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Wonder why the Big12 hasn't thought to tell Fox Sports and Versus to go blow a donkey and create their own network?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The only negative I potentially see is the Texas/Oklahoma region recruiting.  Hopefully we could make up the losses from Michigan/Ohio.

I definitely don't want to see us get stuck holding the 'KU/K-State/ISU/Southwest conference minus Texas/TAMU' bag.