Omaha CVS Discussion

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

May be when they will finish the Bellevue demo they will move up to 72nd and Maple.  They have the first piece of machinery on site and demo looks to begin any time.

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

nebugeater wrote:Looks like the Demo is nearly complete for the CVS location in Bellevue location where the Krispy Kreem location was.  Another 18 months or so and they should be open.
I remember when Krispy Kreem was as big as Starbucks.  I guess that is pretty well past now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The one on 144th and Maple was open for business today when I drove past it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:The one on 144th and Maple was open for business today when I drove past it.

Might be jumping the gun a bit.  Happened to be driving down Maple today and the digital sign out front said OPENING SOON.  There were no cars in the lot and the store was dark.  This was about 11:00 AM
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:The one on 144th and Maple was open for business today when I drove past it.

Might be jumping the gun a bit.  Happened to be driving down Maple today and the digital sign out front said OPENING SOON.  There were no cars in the lot and the store was dark.  This was about 11:00 AM
It must of been construction guys I guess there were like 10 cars out side with every light on and I just assumed.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Sign up for their rewards program.  It's a pretty good deal if you buy much.  Their specials are pretty good.  We've been members for a couple of years now & you can save quite a bit.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

It must of been construction guys I guess there were like 10 cars out side with every light on and I just assumed.

Easy assumption.  Maybe they were stocking shelves....
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

I almost *THOUGHT* that the one at 108th and Fort was open this morning. Lights on, lotsa cars in the parking lot, but the sign was flashing "open soon" so it must be construction people and staff and such parked there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

CVS at 90th, Blondo opposed

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100801/N ... do-opposed
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The City Planning Department, however, says the proposed CVS store would encroach on an adjacent neighborhood. Beyond that, the area has several large commercial properties — including some already vacant — that would be suitable for a CVS, the department says.

CVS is asking for a zoning change, land plat and a revision to Omaha's master development plan for the property southeast of 90th and Blondo. Part of the 2.2 acre property is zoned for businesses, although the plans also call for three homes to be removed.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The forth corner can have commercial.  Someone can go get a building permit tomorrow if they can fit on the existing site without eroding the neighborhood and housing stock.  There is a lot of vacant space along that corridor already and thus no reason to expand some of it.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

cdub wrote:The forth corner can have commercial.  Someone can go get a building permit tomorrow if they can fit on the existing site without eroding the neighborhood and housing stock.  There is a lot of vacant space along that corridor already and thus no reason to expand some of it.
While I agree, I am sure CVS has whole teams dedicated to determining what the best location is.  I hope we push to use existing buildings.  However, it is also a game to see who gets called first.  Sure would suck to see a business skip out on an area in need of businesses.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

They should take the old Blockbuster/Hollywood diner location.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Utilizing an existing building would be great but CVS isn't likely to do that.  If the site they pick is large enough though my guess is they wouldn't have any hurdles at all.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Maybe if they wouldn't have a history of slapping up such butt ugly buildings I would feel differently, but I am not impressed by this chain or how they want to do business in our city.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nativeomahan wrote:Maybe if they wouldn't have a history of slapping up such butt ugly buildings I would feel differently, but I am not impressed by this chain or how they want to do business in our city.
Can't say I disagree about their butt-ugly buildings.  But how is Walgreens any different?
They may be a carbon copy physical store, but they way they are going about entering this market is rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I would say that Walgreens and CVS are about identical in terms of their response to community wants.  Walgreens played ball a little in Millard and CVS is playing ball a little in Dundee.  Neither is willing to go far away from what they typically do which is to have a good supply pf parking adjacent to the front door.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Today the electronic sign at the one at 144th & Maple said Opening August 15th
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Uffda wrote:Today the electronic sign at the one at 144th & Maple said Opening August 15th
2010 I assume?   :;):
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

With the amount of under utilized retail in the north 90Th street corridor, I think it would be great if they would improve a lot that is sub standard for the neighborhood.  I agree that the old blockbuster would be great, I also think the the crummy gas station in front of Hobby Lobby would also make a great location.  Hobby Lobby has more than enough land to make up for any lack of space on the gas station lot.
where the corn meets the concrete
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

There was a CVS ad in this morning's Weird-Harold...
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

The new store at 108 and Fort is open.  There was a flying in Sunday's paper with some coupons including free Coke 2 liter, free any CVS brand product up to $3, 25 free prints from digital and others.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

omaproud wrote:The new store at 108 and Fort is open.  There was a flying in Sunday's paper with some coupons including free Coke 2 liter, free any CVS brand product up to $3, 25 free prints from digital and others.
Hmmmm ... I drove by there on the way to work this morning and it didn't look open. If we go that way for lunch I will check it out.

I guess I'm expecting a big >>OPEN<< sign or something ...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omababe wrote:
omaproud wrote:The new store at 108 and Fort is open.  There was a flying in Sunday's paper with some coupons including free Coke 2 liter, free any CVS brand product up to $3, 25 free prints from digital and others.
Hmmmm ... I drove by there on the way to work this morning and it didn't look open. If we go that way for lunch I will check it out.

I guess I'm expecting a big >>OPEN<< sign or something ...
The add in the Sunday OWH said that the one on Maple and the One on Fort were both opening on the last weekend.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

My paper did not have any ad for CVS, but I did get a direct mailer with the same sales you mentioned.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:
My paper did not have any ad for CVS, but I did get a direct mailer with the same sales you mentioned.
For what it's worth the add that I refered to was not an insert add.  It was about a 1/4 page printed add somewhere ( don't remember the section) in the main paper.  Probably why no one saw it!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

nebugeater wrote:
bbinks wrote:
For what it's worth the add that I refered to was not an insert add.  It was about a 1/4 page printed add somewhere ( don't remember the section) in the main paper.  Probably why no one saw it!
That could be why.  I was expecting a normal ad like Walgreens or Target.
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Actually there was both an insert ad and the 1/2 page add printed directly in the paper.  Only the insert ad had the coupons.  The insert ad was only one page, not like the typical Walgreens ad.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

omaproud wrote:Actually there was both an insert ad and the 1/2 page add printed directly in the paper.  Only the insert ad had the coupons.  The insert ad was only one page, not like the typical Walgreens ad.
Insert was probably based on your location.  It was not in my home delivered paper in Gretna
omaproud
Home Owners Association

Post by omaproud »

Probably, Bugeater.  I live near the Fort Street store.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

omaproud wrote:Probably, Bugeater.  I live near the Fort Street store.
I live near the Fort Street store and got my ad in the mail on Monday.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

omaproud wrote:Probably, Bugeater.  I live near the Fort Street store.
I just stopped in to the Fort St. shop a while ago, just to look around and check it out.

Quite honestly, I had expected more of an aggressive markdown for their "Grand Opening" than I saw. When I priced a few things I use regularly, the prices were about the same as at Walgreens. I'm familiar with a CVS in Las Vegas, which is also right down the street from a Walgreens, and the LV shop is very competitive on prices. I kind of expected more of that here.

One particular accolade I will give them, however. I stopped at the photo counter and asked if they processed film, and I really expected them to say no, they were digital only. Surprise-surprise, she proudly pointed to a shiny new film processor, looks like a Noritsu, and quoted me something like $3.95 for a DO/CD, which is $1 and change less than at Walgreens. I'll definitely be trying them for processing.

Their film prices, however, are not competitive. They sell Kodak and house brand, which appears to be re-branded Fuji. Their house brand price was along the line of what you can usually pick up Fuji-branded Fuji for if you look around.

With their location of right across the street from Walgreens, I really expected them to be a bit more competitive.

Oh well ...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

City Council passed the 90th and Blondo CVS today 6 to 0 with no opposition.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:City Council passed the 90th and Blondo CVS today 6 to 0 with no opposition.
I thought it was interesting how the planning board didn't support this proposal while the neighborhood did.  A complete 180 from Dundee.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It doesn't surprise me about the neighborhood, however how does the planning board say not but the city council says yes 6 to 0.  Seems like there should be an order of operations... you need a yes from the planning board before you can even go to city council.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Sorry I remembered it wrong.  The City Planning Department recommended against a zoning change, but the board decided to reject the recommendation and passed it 4-3.

So many city departments to remember sometimes they get confusing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

DeWalt wrote:Nothing has happened in over a month.
Not exactly.  They stopped for about 2 to 3 weeks while they got the city council approval for the other location, then they finished removing the canopy and a few other things.  However at the end of last week, they covered the entire site is straw leaving me to believe the rest of the project is on hold for a while.  I was hoping they were going to remove the retaining wall before they put anything on hold.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

CVS is remodeling the old old Hy-Vee in Millard, off Millard Ave and 142nd St.
Hoop
Home Owners Association

CVS Considering 84th and Harrison

Post by Hoop »

Documents on La Vista Planning Commission agenda for December 9th, show a proposal for a 13,225 Sq Ft CVS and a 10,000 sq ft Divine Truth building to replace the existing Big Lots building which would be demolished under the proposal.  This would have to fit the new strict "Vision 84" standards, so could be a nice looking addition to the corner, directly across from Walgreen's.

http://www.cityoflavista.org/DocumentView.aspx?DID=2988
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

More Strict than their current standards for the rest of the city?  (Roof Color, Sign Height, Parking Lot Light Style, etc)
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Anyone know when the Millard one is going to be open?