Metro Crossing: I-80 and I-29 (east)

Including Iowa metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

mscott07
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mscott07 »

Seth wrote:
mscott07 wrote:Olive Garden?! Yippee!  How do you see this info on loopnet?  Does it give a timeframe?

Thnx
I've never understood while Olive Garden is so popular.  Sure, it's decent food for a decent price, but they don't have any of the character and variety of local real "family" italian restaurant.  I guess it's probably the same reason most business are dominated by franchise chains; people would rather go to the same "brand" that is safe across the country than risk a new experience.
Its not that its so popular or safe but its something "different" compared to what is over here now! Considering we have to drive all the way to Omaha for the good stuff.  Council Bluffs is very limited.  Trust me, I definitely like trying new things and finding new restaurants and so does the rest of my family. Your statement is simply incorrect.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Olive Garden to come to C.B.
The Olive Garden restaurant is coming to Council Bluffs.

So is the Panda Express . . . .

Construction of these national chain restaurants will begin this spring at Metro Crossing. . . .

Both restaurants will be about their typical size, according to Andersen, and are to be built just north of where the Council Bluffs branch of First National Bank of Omaha is located.

There could be more restaurants and retail coming down the road there, according to Andersen.

“There’s a huge amount of interest,” he said of that site.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i still wonder why there's no joe's crabshack anywhere around here.  Next to the pond would be a great spot.
Go Cubs Go
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Puh-leeze, there are far better seafood places than that.

(and just to end discussion here on this point, no, nothing I'm thinking of is already here)
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

icejammer wrote:Puh-leeze, there are far better seafood places than that.

(and just to end discussion here on this point, no, nothing I'm thinking of is already here)
No, i know.  I had just assumed that, with all the ads that have played, they were interested in the market.  Additionally, i thought that one of their prerequisites was to be near water.  For shits and giggles, what sea food places are you thinking of?
Go Cubs Go
mscott07
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mscott07 »

They finally broke ground on what I think will be Panda Express just next to First National Bank.  There is a construction crew already!

Now..Olive Garden!
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

They have made quick work out of the Panda Express building.  I was in a hurry driving by but the exterior looks almost complete, if not fully complete.  Exterior signage is on the building.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

the design isn't chinese inspired at all.  It looks like a TGIFriday relabeled as a panda express.
Go Cubs Go
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Drove through Metro Crossing last night.  It looks like the Panda Express is open.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The Chamber ribbon-cutting ceremony is scheduled for June 21 (I think?), they may be in a "soft" opening right now, working out the kinks.

--William Jennings Bryan
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

icejammer wrote:The Chamber ribbon-cutting ceremony is scheduled for June 21 (I think?), they may be in a "soft" opening right now, working out the kinks.

Indeed.  It was jam-packed today; some people from work went and said they waited in line for 15 minutes.
Go Cubs Go
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Loopnet has TJMax. Pizza Ranch and Smashburger listed as future tennants.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looks like Smashburger will be coming...

Smashburger restaurant reportedly coming to Bluffs
Smashburger, a fast-casual “better burger” restaurant, is expected to open mid-fall at the Metro Crossing Shopping Center.

Ann Pederson, director of public relations for Lovgren Marketing Co., which represents Wichita-based Reload LLC, said Reload plans to build the restaurant after opening their third location in the metropolitan area in Bellevue, Neb., later this month.

The exact location of the new Council Bluffs Smashburger at Metro Crossing has not been decided, Pederson said, but it will be built.

“We are coming to Council Bluffs,” she said. . . .
And it looks like Pizza Ranch is coming along, should start to see things go vertical in another week or so (2nd out lot north of Sherwin-Williams).  Another large out lot south of the paint store is being graded, not sure if that will be the site of Smashburger or something else.  Olive Garden looks to be on schedule as well.

--William Jennings Bryan
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

According to the Lerner Co. website, the parcel south of the paint store will be a strip mall with
Aspen Dental, Smashburger and Panera Bread in it.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

The Olive Garden grand opening slated for Oct. 25, expect soft opening(s) this week.

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update

1.  Pizza Ranch

icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Pizza Ranch is set for a Dec. 6 opening, just an fyi.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Smashburger one step closer to Bluffs location
Another restaurant option for Council Bluffs moved closer to reality Monday.

That’s when the permit to commence construction was issued for Smashburger to be located in the Metro Crossing Shopping Center.

A new dentist office is also planned in the same area.

Both businesses will be located in a strip mall just north of the Olive Garden restaurant on the east side of the shopping center, according to Steve Carmichael, the city’s chief building official. The shell of the building is already up, and the permit is to allow interior construction, he said. . . .

A company spokesperson said the restaurant is set for opening in the second week of April 2011.

Aspen Dental, with more than 240 locations in 20 states, was also recently issued its permit to commence construction on the inside of that mall, according to Carmichael. Aspen offers patients a full range of dental services and has an Omaha office at 7056 Dodge St.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Panera now official...

Panera Bread will open at Metro Crossing
Panera Bread, which has a restaurant in the Mall of the Bluffs, may soon open a new location in the Metro Crossing Shopping Center.

A permit is expected to be approved next week for the restaurant for interior work in a strip mall on the east side of the center . . .

. . .  did not know if this new spot would be Panera’s second location or whether they will leave the Mall of the Bluffs. A store manager directed all questions to the corporate office. Corporate personnel were unavailable Friday afternoon. . . .
Anyone betting on the MOTB location staying?  Not me...

--William Jennings Bryan
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

icejammer wrote:Anyone betting on the MOTB location staying?  Not me...
I wish, but not likely.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Doors now open at Pizza Ranch
Pizza Ranch opened its doors Monday, and they came by the hundreds. . . .

“We heard great things from our customers as they were leaving,” he said. “They were very happy. We fit every generation. We’ve got high school kids coming in, young families coming in, seniors coming in. We fill a spot for everybody.”

The 6,200-square-foot restaurant seats 230 people with 100 parking stalls right outside, Groeneweg said. There’s even a kid’s basketball court inside, he said. . .
AND
. . . “This is our first corporate store,” Groeneweg said. “The company owns it as opposed to a franchise owner. We see this as an opportunity to raise awareness of our restaurant in the Council Bluffs/Omaha area.”
Look for Pizza Ranch to expand to Sarpy Co. (maybe West O.) late next year.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Steakhouse to build in C.B.
A LongHorn restaurant is coming to Council Bluffs.

The large steakhouse chain recently applied for and was issued a building permit for Metro Crossing, according to Steve Carmichael, the city’s chief building official. The site would be located near the new Olive Garden restaurant, he said. . .

The company plans to build a 6,270-square-foot restaurant with an estimated seating capacity of more than 100, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

How many Texas themed steakhouses can there be? Lone Star, Texas Roadhouse, now Longhorn?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:How many Texas themed steakhouses can there be? Lone Star, Texas Roadhouse, now Longhorn?
They are making up for the loss of "Austin's"  ;)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

This is really why Nebraska went to the Big 10.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i'd rather see some stuff start going into the Marketplace, but anyway...got to try pizza ranch and it was pretty dammed good.  They kept it fresh, kept it hot.  Good taste, good price.  I'm gonna go back to see if i can eat enough to shut that bird down for a day.
Go Cubs Go
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I have never heard of the words "pizza" and "ranch" in the same sentence before.  With reason, I suspect.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

nativeomahan wrote:I have never heard of the words "pizza" and "ranch" in the same sentence before.  With reason, I suspect.
Pizza Ranch is headquartered in the small town of Hull, in Northwest Iowa.  

I'm not a big fan of their pizza, but I love their broasted chicken.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Metro Crossing Update:  Panara Bread, Smash Burger, and LongHorn Steakhouse all appear to be moving in to final stages of construction.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Anybody know where most of the customers at Metro Crossing come from?  Is it folks from South & East of Co. Bluffs?  I would have thought Omaha, but there is never more than a sparse handful of vehicles on Hwy 92 heading toward Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I would guess almost all of Council Bluffs, plus Glenwood, Red Oak, and all the other smaller towns from CB to the Missouri Border.
DeWalt
Human Relations

Post by DeWalt »

Brad wrote:I would guess almost all of Council Bluffs, plus Glenwood, Red Oak, and all the other smaller towns from CB to the Missouri Border.
That'd be my guess too.  It has probably pretty much sucked the life out of Mall of the Bluffs.  But it certainly does have good access from the south - and there really isn't much of anything between Co. Bluffs and Kansas City.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

It's mostly Council Bluffers (is that the demonym??) and other southwest Iowans. Having worked in southwest Iowa for two years, I found that a lot of people in rural areas come to the Omaha area for shopping excursions and many prefer to do it in Council Bluffs because it's generally closer to their hometowns. All things considered, that shopping area has a regional draw of about 150,000 Iowans.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:It's mostly Council Bluffers (is that the demonym??) and other southwest Iowans. Having worked in southwest Iowa for two years, I found that a lot of people in rural areas come to the Omaha area for shopping excursions and many prefer to do it in Council Bluffs because it's generally closer to their hometowns. All things considered, that shopping area has a regional draw of about 150,000 Iowans.
At least. If you split the difference from Omaha to Des Moines, you are looking at probably closer to 250+.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

DeWalt wrote:Anybody know where most of the customers at Metro Crossing come from?  Is it folks from South & East of Co. Bluffs?  I would have thought Omaha, but there is never more than a sparse handful of vehicles on Hwy 92 heading toward Omaha.
There's a fair number from Omaha, but most use the Interstate, as opposed to Hwy 92.  You'll find more Omaha people utilizing the Power Center and The Marketplace.

--William Jennings Bryan
Jwunderlich
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Jwunderlich »

So excited with all the new restaurants we will never have to go to Omaha again.  The family is really enjoying Pizza ranch though we like the chicken more than the pizza.  We have gone to Texas roadhouse a few times and have enjoyed that yet there is always the entire CB population there to eat.  But we are getting the new Long horn Restaurant next to olive garden so that's going to help a lot as well as the new seafood place. Has anyone heard of any others coming our way?
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Jwunderlich wrote:So excited with all the new restaurants we will never have to go to Omaha again.  The family is really enjoying Pizza ranch though we like the chicken more than the pizza.  We have gone to Texas roadhouse a few times and have enjoyed that yet there is always the entire CB population there to eat.  But we are getting the new Long horn Restaurant next to olive garden so that's going to help a lot as well as the new seafood place. Has anyone heard of any others coming our way?
Aside from the rumors of PepperJax, there are 5 potential restaurant pads left at Metro Crossing (although 2 likely won't end up being restaurant), plus several more open bays by TJMaxx; there's 4 restaurant pads left at The Marketplace, plus several bays available for small eateries (buildings haven't been built yet though); there's a couple pads along 23rd Ave (although with the problems with The Plaza at MAC, people may be a little gun-shy about this area for a while).  It won't surprise me to see 2 more restaurants begin construction later this year at these locations, but I can't give you any specific names at this point.

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

T.J. Maxx coming to Metro Crossing
Metro Crossing Shopping Center in Council Bluffs is building a name for itself, an official said.

“From talking to my partners, our center is one of only a few that still has activity as far as building,” said contractor Mark Andersen of Andersen Construction Co. “Everybody seems excited about it.”

The latest project in the shopping center at the northwest corner of Interstate 29 and U.S. Highway 275 is a new T.J. Maxx retail store to be located directly north of where Pet Smart has set up shop. . . .

. . . The Council Bluffs store will feature 20,372 square feet of retail space. . .

The store will be in a building that will offer 15,000 square feet of additional retail space, Andersen said. The completion date for the construction is mid- to late summer, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Aspen Dental opens Bluffs office
Patients looking for a dentist in Council Bluffs now have a new option.

Aspen Dental opened Thursday at 3617 Denmark Drive in the Metro Crossing Shopping Center. . .
This is co-located in same strip building as Panera and Smashburger

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Panera opens at Metro Crossing on Wednesday, March 23.

And the Panera at Mall of the Bluffs closes TODAY!  :evil:

--William Jennings Bryan