Sterling Ridge (Ironwood Country Club)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

Sterling Ridge (Ironwood Country Club)

Post by joeglow »

Ironwood Country Club Closing

Was listening to KFAB this morning and was shocked to hear about it.  Apparently, First National really screwed them over.  The individual they were talking to (who was a board member) said they should not have renovated the clubhouse when they did a few years ago (all the people on the board then are gone).  The gentlemen said they were able to make payments fine, but were working with FNB.  FNB allegedly called them claiming they had a buyer for the note who would not be as accommodating and that they would need to make a lump payment of "x" amount against the note for FNB to keep it.  He said they managed to get the name of buyer and contacted him.  This buyer denied having made any offer.  They called FNB on it, who did not sell the note as they said they would, but the damage had been done.  Some members had left and they could not recruit new ones because of this and they ended going under.

The interesting thing is that he said he knew the buyer of the land (who bought it this weekend) and the study showed that the best use for land was as a golf course.  The flood control issues are big and there is little demand for a business park at 132nd and Pacific.  He said the only other option would be really dense housing, which they would have difficulty doing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought we had a thread on here, but apparently not.  Here is the article from a few months ago:

Ironwood facing foreclosure

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091104/MONEY/711049965
Steve Jordon WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Ironwood Country Club will close at the end of December because of an overdue bank loan and is scheduled to be sold at a trustee's auction on Jan. 22, the club's president said Tuesday.

Ironwood President Ron Carson said First National Bank of Omaha is foreclosing on the club's $10.7 million loan. The club took out the loan in 1999 to build a new clubhouse and made other improvements to the property at 126th and Pacific Streets to compete with other golf courses and country clubs.

A group of members, including some of the families who helped found the club in 1924, are hoping that they can buy the property at the trustee's sale, Carson said.
I had lunch with a couple members in November.  They thought other members were going to buy it.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

The buyers want the City to de-annex them so that they can form an SID.  I'm not sure thats even possible but I think it would be unlikely even if it were.
CapitalGuy
Human Relations

Post by CapitalGuy »

What do the developers hope to do? Commerical or residential?
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

There is a sign on the Ironwood fence that says open to the public.  There were also golfers on the course last week.
where the corn meets the concrete
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

$200M Ironwood redevelopement

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100715/N ... ous-center
In a rare development opportunity for Omaha, Ironwood Country Club is set to transform into a $200 million mix of high-end offices, upscale housing, small shops, local restaurants and a hotel.

While the scope and central location of the project set it apart, a five-building religious component — including a new Temple Israel and a three-faith religious center — would make the development even more unique.

The new owners of the golf course property at 12605 Pacific St. gave The World-Herald a look Wednesday at plans that have potential to rank with Omaha's most impressive office, shopping and residential developments, including Regency and the new Aksarben Village.
My guess is there will be no end to the fun of watching the NIMBYs in action.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We were/are working on that at my firm, I never really paid attention to what the finished project was going to look like.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Suggest a thread merge.
Stable genius.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I wouldn't merge them as the development at Ironwood goes well beyond the tri faith thing.  I'm interested to see how this one progresses since they aren't as yet following the established City development rules and also have no funding aside from the planned SID which can't happen unless the City de-annexes, which it may not be able to do.  

fun! :help:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ironwood specs may need tinkering

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100802/N ... -tinkering
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The developers could potentially expand that allotment if it proposes a Main Street-style layout and multistory buildings that mix office, commercial and residential uses within individual buildings, the city says.

Cunningham wrote that the project is proposing an office park with isolated commercial and residential parts.

“The proposed uses are not mixed, let alone integrated,” Cunningham wrote, “and none of the buildings contain multiple uses to be considered a ‘specialty’ mixed-use area.”
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Preliminary plat approved at Planing Board yesterday.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is the Plat if you want to see the layout:
http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... ing/51.pdf
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

Brad wrote:Here is the Plat if you want to see the layout:
http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... ing/51.pdf
Sad  :(
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Is anything going on with this?  I never head that way anymore so I miss the progress.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The new owners have wasted no time destroying the beauty of the property.  They have ripped out almost all of the mature trees.  Have they no shame?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nativeomahan wrote:The new owners have wasted no time destroying the beauty of the property.  They have ripped out almost all of the mature trees.  Have they no shame?
I'll have to drive past there to see how bad it is for myself.  I figured most would end up being torn out which always sucks.  I bet those couple hundred 30 foot trees they tore out will be replaced by 50 10 foot trees...  :?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:The new owners have wasted no time destroying the beauty of the property.  They have ripped out almost all of the mature trees.  Have they no shame?
It literally looks like a tornado went through!  They just took a bulldozer and pushed over every single tree!
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

God forbid they build a few houses around old-growth trees to give the place some character. UGH
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Well... I'm not sure but it smells like they are burning the trees today.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Axel wrote:Well... I'm not sure but it smells like they are burning the trees today.
Ah, the sweet smell of progress.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:
Axel wrote:Well... I'm not sure but it smells like they are burning the trees today.
Ah, the sweet smell of progress.
Tree pile is still there... however it looks like the fire department may have been practicing on the roof.  Lots of holes cut in it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Yeah wow finally went by there it looks really bad right now.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Approved by the Planning board and on to CC with the final plat.  Complete with a tiny tongue lashing for the tree removal mess.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Did anyone else hear what the reason for the removal of all the trees was?

I heard ( and I can't remember where now) that it was due to the Army Corp of Engineers requiring that the property be graded to remove the ponds that were added on the NW side and to re-establish heck Creek, the creek that ran/runs through the property.

Don't know if this is accurate information, but its interesting.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

A significant number of trees needed to be removed in order to allow the general grading for development.  They likely went a little overboard because there are rules in place (EPA?) requiring that no removal occur during nesting seasons.  Basically, they had to remove everything by April 1st or leave it through the summer.  They probably erred on the side of removing too many so they wouldn't be restricted in their grading.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They talked about this on Grow Omaha last Saturday. I can't remember exactly what they said, but I think there is a ravine in there that needed grading and they were going to fill in the man made lakes. Check out the Grow Omaha webcast.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

The president of Lockwood Development was on KFAB this morning. He basically said that they did their best to save as many trees as possible out of 1190 that were on the property when they bought it - though he never said how many they saved. He also said that they relocated about 200 trees (can't recall the exact number), and when the project is complete, they will have over 2000 trees on the property. He claimed that the tree removal was due to the large amount of grading that was necessary to bring parts of the property even with 132nd street and Pacific street. He said that the retaining walls will be removed in those areas.

Very little was said about the Army Corp of Engineers; but he did say that the creek and retention ponds will be redone. Sewer and other utility work will be done throughout the summer, and they expect to begin construction on the first office building in Aug/Sept. He expects the project to be completed in 5-10 years; with much depending on the economy.
FrontlineOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by FrontlineOmaha »

Listen Here

Pretty interesting.  They make a good point, he owns the land and the city council has OK'd everything they have done.  

I am interested to see the final plat
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This was the most recent plat that I could find of Sterling Ridge.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And I found their website: http://www.sterlingridge.com/About.html

Looks like this is demolition week

1.Pacific Street retaining walls June 1st through June 10th
2.Pool house June 10th through June 15th
3.Clubhouse June 15th through July 10th
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The clubhouse is no more.  What an incredible, incredible WASTE!
jessep28
Planning Board

Tri-Faith Initiative Complex (132nd and Pacific)

Post by jessep28 »

http://www.ketv.com/news/29991243/detail.html

It looks like an Episcopal Church, Islamic Center and Synagogue will be going in at 132nd and Pacific. The Tri-Faith Initiative of Omaha has had such a project in play for years apparently.
Last edited by jessep28 on Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

On a somewhat related side note, Mr. Francis who lives nearby might not be happy with this:

http://www.hawkeyelounge.com/showthread.php?t=68966

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Not a Mosque but an Islamic Study Center, they are the more progressive Muslims, but do not have an Imam, yet.
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

jessep28 wrote:On a somewhat related side note, Mr. Francis who lives nearby might not be happy with this:
I was totally with him for the first, what, 3 lines...  Then.. just.  wow.
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Asten wrote:
jessep28 wrote:On a somewhat related side note, Mr. Francis who lives nearby might not be happy with this:
I was totally with him for the first, what, 3 lines...  Then.. just.  wow.
Once you see the whole "Rockefeller" thing, you know some zaniness is about to ensue.  I'm surprised the Rothschilds weren't brought up, for grade A kookery the guy really needed to play the Rothschild card.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Coyote wrote:Not a Mosque but an Islamic Study Center, they are the more progressive Muslims, but do not have an Imam, yet.
A mosque does not need to have an Imam to be a mosque. All it needs to be is a place for prayers. This thing even has a minaret, which looks so awesome.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Professor Woland
Library Board

Post by Professor Woland »

Axel wrote:
Coyote wrote:Not a Mosque but an Islamic Study Center, they are the more progressive Muslims, but do not have an Imam, yet.
A mosque does not need to have an Imam to be a mosque. All it needs to be is a place for prayers. This thing even has a minaret, which looks so awesome.
Omaha embraces multiculturalism with more gusto than the Swiss, who have outlawed minarets.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Buh... buh... Woland! Europe is so progressive and America is soo backwards! Just look at their cities! Everywhere should be like Europe.  :;):
OMA-->CHI-->NYC