Pinnacle / Swanson Site (10th and Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Thanks for the photos.  With everything gone its even easier to imagine a mixed used high rise there.
where the corn meets the concrete
Blade1655
Home Owners Association

Post by Blade1655 »

So how many square blocks of whatever is considered "downtown" these days lay completely undeveloped?
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Blade1655 wrote:So how many square blocks of whatever is considered "downtown" these days lay completely undeveloped?
By undeveloped, do you mean nothing or parking lots?  If it's the latter, then a lot...
Go Cubs Go
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Blade1655 wrote:So how many square blocks of whatever is considered "downtown" these days lay completely undeveloped?
This portion of the Master Plan Draft will give you an idea.... see page 17

http://co.douglas.ne.us/omaha/planning/ ... %201-4.pdf
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.

New convention hotel

Post by Guest »

The city sent out a RFP for Century Link Center parking lots E, G, and H last week.  They are looking for hotel proposals.  Heard several developers, national and local are interested.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: New convention hotel

Post by iamjacobm »

Anonymous wrote:The city sent out a RFP for Century Link Center parking lots E, G, and H last week.  They are looking for hotel proposals.  Heard several developers, national and local are interested.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Just read through it.  They should have their decision done before Thanksgiving!  It also mentioned that if the developer wanted to include the surface lot bounded by 12th, 11th, Capitol and Dodge the city would strongly consider it!

Exciting stuff.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

iamjacobm wrote:
Just read through it.  They should have their decision done before Thanksgiving!  It also mentioned that if the developer wanted to include the surface lot bounded by 12th, 11th, Capitol and Dodge the city would strongly consider it!

Exciting stuff.
From Page 4:
In addition to these developments, the Metropolitan Area Transit Authority and the City of Omaha are
currently studying the creation of a downtown mass transit circulator system that could include a modern
streetcar.  Although the final route is yet to be determined, earlier studies have suggested a loop that would
run along 10th Street on the east, Cuming Street on the north, 16th Street on the west, and Harney/Farnam
Streets on the south. This system would provide easy connections throughout the downtown area for
residents and visitors, and will further add to the downtown’s cosmopolitan atmosphere.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm surprised this new RFP hasn't gained more attention on this forum, seeing as how this type of project, in this location, is exactly the type that typically gets you excited.

Anyway, the RFP requests a minimum of 350 hotel rooms. With the footprint of available land, am I wrong to think that some of you height-obsessed folk may be a bit disappointed?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

S33 wrote:Anyway, the RFP requests a minimum of 350 hotel rooms. With the footprint of available land, am I wrong to think that some of you height-obsessed folk may be a bit disappointed?
My thought is that they want office space included which I imagine would be in the 200 ft range.  Then if the hotel takes 10 with even only 5 resident levels on top that is looking like a 16 floor building when you add the street level retail.

Maybe I am being a bit optimistic.  The fact that they want to include office space is the biggest reason I think it will have decent height though.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MECA wrote:The approximately six acre Project Site (the “Site”) affords excellent potential for a mix of hospitality,
residential, retail and office uses. While MECA / City of Omaha is willing to consider respondents’ ideas for the
Site, generally, MECA / City of Omaha envisions the Site being developed into a mixed-use development with
the following components:
a. Full-Service Hotel (subject to certain restrictions described in this RFP)
b. Residential Units – owner-occupied or rental
c. Retail, Entertainment, Dining
d. Office – corporate or multiple businesses

Due to its position at the intersection of major access routes along 10th Street and Capitol Avenue, and its
close proximity to the CenturyLink Center Omaha (formerly, the Qwest Center Omaha) and Hilton hotel, the
area adjacent to the Site has recently emerged as a new entertainment hub called the Capitol District. At
nearly six acres in size, the Site has the potential to include a full-service hotel, office, and residential uses
along with a significant amount of open space, retail, restaurant and other entertainment venues. When
completed, it is anticipated that this large mixed-use development would elevate the burgeoning Capitol
District into an exciting new destination that would complement the historic charm of the Old Market, attract
visitors, and provide vital connections between the CenturyLink Center Omaha, T. D. Ameritrade Park in North
Downtown and the Old Market and Downtown Core. In addition, it is intended that the Project will bring new
visitors and events to the city, which in turn brings additional revenue.

MECA / City of Omaha seeks the development of a high-quality, full-service hotel anchored mixed-use project
It is anticipated the full-service hotel component will have a target opening date of January 1, 2014, to assist
in attracting additional large conventions and tradeshows to the CenturyLink Center Omaha.

The 510 parking stalls currently located on the site must be replaced either through additional
structured parking on the site, or through the expansion of existing surface parking lots located in
close proximity to the CenturyLink Center Omaha and in a manner acceptable to MECA / City of
Omaha. MECA / City of Omaha is willing to work with the successful developer on potential
replacement options.

The following represents MECA / City of Omaha current anticipated schedule for reviewing and approving the
selection of a development team and associated agreements. This schedule is subject to change.
• Monday, July 18, 2011 – Request for Interest (RFI) issued
• Thursday, August 25, 2011 – Issuance of the Request for Proposals (RFP)
• Friday, September 30, 2011 – Final day for Questions
• Friday, October 7, 2011 – Addendum issued summarizing questions
• Wednesday, October 26, 2011 Responses to RFP due
• Wednesday, November 9, 2011 – Development team finalists announced
• Monday, November 14, 2011 – Interviews commence with development team finalists
• Friday, November 18, 2011 – Selected developer announced
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Nothing about this RFP guarantees anything above 10 floors. Great infill, though.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

That time frame looks pretty aggressive for a developer if you either A) don't have a plan for this site already halfway thought out, or B) not in the good ol' boy network and given a heads up on the specs months and months ago.

Can you honestly put together a proposal from scratch between August 25th and October 26th for a project this size, without already having tenants halfway interested in a mostly thought out concept?  I don't remember anyone talking about the July 18th RFI deadline (or really even understand exactly what that means.)

I say all this not being an engineer/architect/developer.  I'd like to hear commentary from someone actually in this field.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Or, with the failure of WST, don't you think the city would allow sufficient time for these firms to propose a solution withthe proper amount of due diligence? Like you said, at least speaking with potential tenants for some credibility?

I say we all pull together 350 bucks, register an LLC, and submit our own plans. I'm sure we can get our colored pencils out and come up with something pretty decent - even if we don't have follow thru.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I was under the impression that they had to have a "team" and a sort or broad outline of their plans ready by the deadline not the entire plan.  I guess I don't know which is less stable.  A development team without a secure plan or a plan thrown together too quickly?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Can you honestly put together a proposal from scratch between August 25th and October 26th for a project this size, without already having tenants halfway interested in a mostly thought out concept?
It happens all the time.  They put out a fairly generic rendering that has a lot of pop to it but then change it after they get looking.  Some developers have "stock building" that they dump in to proposals and then change it when they get the job.

I remember when the first rendering for the quest came out.  It looked Nothing like it does now.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So basically this is just half-assed bull |expletive| like everything else?
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure about that.  Its more of a way to get your foot in the door and buy time.
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

if i remember correct didn't someone mention a while ago that they saw renderings of what might happen on this site? it might have been this same thread.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

JPenny wrote:if i remember correct didn't someone mention a while ago that they saw renderings of what might happen on this site? it might have been this same thread.
Trust me, nobody is going to take the time to make renderings without the city issuing and RFP first... The renderings you are talking about is probably just an example rendering the city made with the downtown master plan.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Just building anything there would be a nice improvement over the surface lot and if it follows at least some of what the master plan proposed it will be a nice mixed use addition for the area, I would assume that hotel wise at the least it will as tall as Hilton's two other hotels on 10th.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I'm also definitely of the opinion that, assuming one of these is built within the time-frame, any one of these is a huge win for Downtown.

I would really like to see more detailed site plans and renderings from different angles. For instance, I like the Shamrock proposal a lot, but what is all the empty space on the north/northeast side of the site? I have similar concerns about the open space of the other two projects. In general, these all seem like great proposals that totally fit what was requested; there (thankfully) is not a clear "whoa.... that developer didn't 'get it'".

Shamrock's seems to be the biggest bang for the buck judging by the stats, and I have every confidence that Mr. Moylan can get the job done.

Architecturally, I think the Buckingham proposal is the most boring.

Again, they all seem pretty good, I think we just need to see more detailed site plans and renderings from different angles.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Re:

Post by Coyote »

windsor wrote:
Brad wrote:Hauff: Sporting goods firm to open at new spot

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... d=10640592
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Hauff Sporting Goods plans to open next Monday in its new location, one block north of 102nd and L Streets, said Dave Aden, the company's vice president and treasurer.

The business has been at its current location, northeast of 12th Street and Capitol Avenue, since 1977 and downtown for 70 years. It is moving so that the city can demolish the building and construct Qwest Center Omaha parking lots that were part of the negotiations to build the north downtown ballpark
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Don Hobscheidt, general manager of all three Omaha-area Ferguson's locations, said the plumbing wholesaler plans to move the downtown location later this summer to 2215 Leavenworth St.
CHRISTINE LAUE WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Chris Wayne, a city planner, said the city plans to demolish the Hauff and Ferguson buildings in July and complete the new parking lots by November or December. The stadium is scheduled to be completed in April 2011.
That seems like a long time line for such a small project.
I guess they are doing well at their new location north of L St. I have never been there, but now 5 years later, I hear they are going strong and are doing some major renovations there.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Re: Pinnacle / Swanson Site (10th and Capitol)

Post by jelizh »

Can't find a better thread for this at the moment, the City has sold 920 Dodge street.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jelizh wrote:Can't find a better thread for this at the moment, the City has sold 920 Dodge street.
Its part of the Capitol District Development.
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

Should have known, wasn't sure why it was finalized just recently. Thanks.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jelizh wrote:Should have known, wasn't sure why it was finalized just recently. Thanks.
They always referred to it as a supplemental site. Maybe they figured out what to do with it.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

RNcyanide wrote:
jelizh wrote:Should have known, wasn't sure why it was finalized just recently. Thanks.
They always referred to it as a supplemental site. Maybe they figured out what to do with it.

The evil "I want to see the world burn" villain in me hopes it's a parking garage just to see the reaction here.

But; the rest of me hopes its residential with that first floor retail blah blah.
No posts exist for this topic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Sigh...

Knowing Omaha, parking isn't that bad of a guess. Something three to four floors with ground level retail would be lovely here.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
jelizh
Home Owners Association

Post by jelizh »

When the sale came up yesterday, a colleague mentioned condos. Normally I wouldn't take this at face value, but there is a zoning ordinance for this area on next week's city council agenda. A quick look in the municipal code is keeping me hopeful that it won't be a parking garage.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

jelizh wrote:When the sale came up yesterday, a colleague mentioned condos. Normally I wouldn't take this at face value, but there is a zoning ordinance for this area on next week's city council agenda. A quick look in the municipal code is keeping me hopeful that it won't be a parking garage.
That would be a tiny parking garage.

The Bride
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Soil samples were being taken this morning.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:Soil samples were being taken this morning.

Hmm, I'll be damned. Maybe they are going to use it more quickly than I thought.
No posts exist for this topic
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

A mid level modern condo building would be awesome in this spot. Keep some of the main floor open to some sort of retail/bar.
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

jelizh wrote:Can't find a better thread for this at the moment, the City has sold 920 Dodge street.
A foundations only permit was applied for today for 920 Dodge. It was identified as a multi-family project with a value of $500,000. If that is the value of the foundations only (which would be logical), this is a very large building. Identified as "Capitol Place."
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

So is this the same project as the Capital District's out building where the ice rink is or another project entirely?
15-17, 26, 32
Lillian Bean
Home Owners Association

Post by Lillian Bean »

MTO wrote:So is this the same project as the Capital District's out building where the ice rink is or another project entirely?
Same location, different owner/developer.

Referenced in these articles (I think also posted on Capitol District thread):
http://www.omaha.com/money/capitol-dist ... b7fd5.html
http://www.omaha.com/eedition/sunrise/a ... b3ed7.html
Thinking there's not a whole lot to say anymore now that people listen & she has to make sense.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

7 floors in this area is going to make a great pocket of density.