Sorenson Park Plaza

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Greg S wrote:I read where they had some problems at the theater on Wednesday night.   Not the kind of attention that center wanted going into Xmas season.

Greg

It begins.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

nativeomahan wrote:
Greg S wrote:I read where they had some problems at the theater on Wednesday night.   Not the kind of attention that center wanted going into Xmas season.

Greg

It begins.

What begins?  The Christmas season?  The fighting?  Attention? The Movie?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Begins? Everytime I've been up there the police are breaking up fights that large. It's insane. I'm reminded of Chris Rock's line about certain people in movie theaters "This movie's so good I'm gonna bust a cap in it''s |expletive|!"
DTO
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It is the beginning of negative publicity in the media about what goes on at this mall.  For years in the 1970s and 80s there was a movie theatre operating near 60th and Redick, in a small mall.  Well the customers got out of hand too many times, and the theatre went out of business.  I worry that unless the current theatre owners clamp down hard and fast to stop rioting inside the movie house, the place will go out of business within 12 months.

Maybe it means they stop showing films that appeal to an audience that is likely to cause problems.  That is as delicate as I can say it.

I don't know if Sorensen Park has a "code of conduct" like several larger "lifestyle" malls around town.  Maybe that would be one option.  I hate to see a new mall destroyed by the actions of a few.  But news stories of such occurrences will scare many potential customers away.  It of course is not the news reports that are the problem.  It is the unacceptable behavior being displayed by a small segment of society.
agibson95
Home Owners Association

Post by agibson95 »

Coyote wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:What kind of problems?
Police break up melee at Omaha theater
Omaha World Herald wrote:According to police reports, about 20 juveniles out of a group of 100 were fighting and causing a disturbance in one of the theaters at the multiscreen Great Escape Theatres, 7440 Crown Point Ave.
I love how they called it a melee. Im imagining something out of West Side Story, with singing and dancing and fighting.

What movie were they seeing? I bet it was Enchanted. I was actually there on Wednesday seeing Beowulf and there wasnt anyone fighting where I was at.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I checked out the Kimco Realty site and they have added a Big Lots store and the Golden Corral to their site plan for the Plaza.

http://www.kimcorealty.com/propsearch/s ... sk=leasing
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Uffda wrote:I checked out the Kimco Realty site and they have added a Big Lots store and the Golden Corral to their site plan for the Plaza.

Golden Corral?  Didn't they just fold their tent on north 90th Street a year or so ago?  Why would they be making another try in the same general neighborhood?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:
Uffda wrote:I checked out the Kimco Realty site and they have added a Big Lots store and the Golden Corral to their site plan for the Plaza.

Golden Corral?  Didn't they just fold their tent on north 90th Street a year or so ago?  Why would they be making another try in the same general neighborhood?
I think is been well documented on here that they were just moving:
The Big Buffet on 11/7/2007 wrote:What if they were just moving? may be a bit further northeast?
And then:
north 72nd street? On 12/6/2007 wrote:north 72nd street?
And then:
The-Omaha-Empire on 2/1/2008 wrote:they are moving closer to their customer base - old people, north 72nd.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

old people, north 72nd.
And I still don't like that comment.  :roll:  :lol:

Of course I have never eaten at a Golden Corral so I wouldn't know its clientele, but there are a lot of young families up here and Hearthstone is slamming together two subdivisions about a mile from here.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Funny way to "move."  Open a multi-million dollar restaurant site, and close it a few years later.  Then wait a couple of years more, until everyone that used to eat at your place "moves on" to other restaurants, then spend another few million dollars to build another new restaurant just 2 miles away from the place you closed.

I also have never eaten at a Golden Corral.  I prefer not to eat at places with "corral" in their names.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Then wait a couple of years more,
It has only been closed a few months. I also think N 90th location had more streeet traffic by it then N 72nd but the Plaza seems to be picking up more traffic lately.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Apparently the "old" Golden Corral closed around Halloween in 2007.  I suspect the new one will be open by or before Halloween 2008.

The N. 72nd area might be more to Golden Corral's demographics.  You don't see many of them in Barrington Park or Regency.  I think they appeal to the Old Country Buffet set.  Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Linen-n-Things is going Chapter 11 and closing 120 underperforming stores nationwide -- the one at Sorensen Plaza is on the list.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Linen-n-Things has Store Closing signs up with 'supposedly' Clearance Sale.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sorensen Plaza adding businesses

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1 ... d=10471260
JOHN KEENAN WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:New businesses are coming to Sorensen Park Plaza, a shopping center at 72nd Street and Sorensen Parkway.

Golden Corral is building on one corner, and a Radio Shack is under construction in the "village shop" area, said developer Jim Otis.

The businesses are expected to open in late winter or early spring 2009.

Discount chain Big Lots also has signed a lease with the shopping center. It might locate in the former Linens 'N' Things space, Otis said.

Otis said the shopping center continues to meet with retailers about the village shops spaces at the front of the center and has a letter of intent from a retailer for vacant land east of the theater.

He declined to name the retailer.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I think its interesting that this project and the L Street project are both having problems filling their spaces in the town center concept they have in the middle of the lot on both projects.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The middle still appears to be empty except may be one business.

The Golden Corral is done, just not open yet.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I noticed the other day that Big Lots has their sign on the building where Linens N Things was. Also they have a sign up saying "Now Hiring"
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Saw some dirt being moved just north of the building that was Taco Bueno --- looks like it is going to be a jiffy lube

http://legacy.kimcorealty.com/File/Mark ... EO1103.pdf
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

There is a sign there that say KFC coming soon.
Patty Beeken
MDS Coordinator Eastern Nebraska Veteran's Home
Serving America's Heroes

There is no time limit to solving a mystery
url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I think someone said that is going in the Taco Bueno building
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

Oh my gosh! MY bad this just goes to show I should never try to think until after my second cuppa!  :D
Patty Beeken
MDS Coordinator Eastern Nebraska Veteran's Home
Serving America's Heroes

There is no time limit to solving a mystery
url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]
jimbo1969
New to the Neighborhood

New resturant 72 Sorenson

Post by jimbo1969 »

Right on the corner, I see kfc took over Bueno, probably a Taco Bell just my guess. Thanks for response
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

...What?
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

chaoman45 wrote:...What?
Taco Bueno closed and KFC is going in, but in news everyone hasn't already known forever about a month ago they started pouring foundation for a new restaurant (which is stupid, as half of that creepy little ghost town with the radioshack and military recruitment is completely empty)
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

The initial post was worded weird for me, that's all. I was aware of the KFC, but didn't know what was meant by Taco Bell.

But you're right, pouring a whole new foundation is curious.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Is there another pad being poured besides the one for the Jiffy Lube that is being built to the north of Taco Bueno/KFC?
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Uffda wrote:Is there another pad being poured besides the one for the Jiffy Lube that is being built to the north of Taco Bueno/KFC?
No, so that's probably it, not a restaurant at all. Mystery solved!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Posted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject:  
Saw some dirt being moved just north of the building that was Taco Bueno --- looks like it is going to be a jiffy lube

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

KFC (Old Taco Bueno) = Open or nearly open
Jiffy Lube = Walls are up
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to Jeff Beals on the Grow Omaha Min, Panda Express and Chick-fil-a are coming to Sorensen Park Plaza.  Both between Applebee's and Burger king.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

So they are planning to have a chick-fil-a on north 72nd second street and 74th and Dodge. And a Panda Express on 72nd and dodge and north 72nd street? Is that close together for those companies?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The Ckick-fil-a has been on the kimko realty site for Sorenson for many months already.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

lmdramos wrote:So they are planning to have a chick-fil-a on north 72nd second street and 74th and Dodge. And a Panda Express on 72nd and dodge and north 72nd street? Is that close together for those companies?
I think they are far enough apart.  Target has stores in both areas.  BK the same.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote: Target has stores in both areas.  BK the same.Greg
BK has one in between Dodge and Sorenson too...  72 and Blondo.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Greg S wrote:
lmdramos wrote:So they are planning to have a chick-fil-a on north 72nd second street and 74th and Dodge. And a Panda Express on 72nd and dodge and north 72nd street? Is that close together for those companies?
I think they are far enough apart.  Target has stores in both areas.  BK the same.

Greg
Jimmy John's too, 72nd & Farnam then Sorenson Park
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

They started moving dirt on the lot to the north and adjacent to Applebee's.  but I think it is going to be a Taco Bell. On the kimco site across the street from this and adjacent to BK was suppose to be a chic-file-a. But nothing has happened there yet

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130313/M ... 19721/1733

But then again according to this map it might be Panda Express

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

1. The building permits for the lot North of Applebee's (6228 N 72nd) calls for a Panda Express.

2. Chick-fil-a owns the lot North of that at 6310 N 72nd.
'
3. There is permit activity for the lot South of Applebee's at 6110 N 72nd, but it only has the attorney's name.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

jessep28 wrote: 3. There is permit activity for the lot South of Applebee's at 6110 N 72nd, but it only has the attorney's name.
Assuming the OWH article is correct, 6110 N. 72nd is at Nebraska Ave., where the proposed Taco Bell would be.

I'm not sure of the population density of that area, but that is a lot of fast food places to pick from once Panda and Chick-Fil-A open as well.  Especially If you add the Arby's and McDonald's just minutes to the South at Benson Park.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

bbinks wrote:
jessep28 wrote: 3. There is permit activity for the lot South of Applebee's at 6110 N 72nd, but it only has the attorney's name.
Assuming the OWH article is correct, 6110 N. 72nd is at Nebraska Ave., where the proposed Taco Bell would be.

I'm not sure of the population density of that area, but that is a lot of fast food places to pick from once Panda and Chick-Fil-A open as well.  Especially If you add the Arby's and McDonald's just minutes to the South at Benson Park.
Traffic coming south on 72nd from I-680 drive right by that row. There's also a big hospital practically across the street. I'm sure people who are up there all the time visiting a family member appreciate restaurant options close by. Also, who wants to eat at Golden Corral? Ew.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum