$700 million I-80/29 reconstruction project

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Has anyone noticed how huge the 24th street bridge is.  The entire interstate is under half of the bridge.   That is a lot of room for future expansion.
where the corn meets the concrete
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

windsor wrote:Has anyone noticed how huge the 24th street bridge is.  The entire interstate is under half of the bridge.   That is a lot of room for future expansion.
The master plan calls for 6 lanes (I think) each direction where I-29 and I-80 share the road. 3 express lanes and 3 local lanes.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

There will be a public meeting at the MAC on June 8, from 5-8 pm (I think), to discuss the 3rd phase of the project (east of the east 80/29 spilt to Madison and south on 29).
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

The base for the artwork that is going up on each corner of the 24th Street bridge is now being poured. If I remember correctly, the sculptures are supposed to be 35 feet tall. I have heard through the grapevine that the art is, to put it nicely, ugly. I ride my bike near there when I ride to work, so I'll snap some pics when they are up.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

If you look back a page or two you'll see the links to the artwork, Jason.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but from what I've seen, I think the artwork is going to be quite impressive.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Changes In Store For Council Bluffs Interstates
Changes are in store for the interstates around the Council Bluffs area. A five segment project has gotten well under way, the Iowa Department of Transportation is still taking feedback from area residents. . . .

24th street and the Missouri river bridge make up the first of five segments to improve the interstate system in the area. Changes district manager Scott Suhr says are in desperate need.

"Back when the interstate was built in Council Bluffs, it was probably carrying in the neighborhood of 20 to 30 thousand vehicles per day. Now we're looking at probably 90 thousand vehicles per day on two lanes, going each direction, so there's obviously a capacity issue." . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

thenewguy wrote:
Jwunderlich wrote:Well it was a ballpark and empty open fields but they are supposed to be putting in a water feature / ice skating rink as well as some weird advertising columns that they have been selling space for to get grant money.  So i was just wondering if any one else had heard anything or seen anything.  I have also seen crews working on the interstate is that the widening and renewal project or are they just doing maintenance?
Do you mean the I-29 to 480 ramp going to Omaha?  I think it's more significant, they tore down like 5 houses off of ave G and cut down on the empty space between the interstate and the road.
That's segment 4, and Segment 4 is not even on the schedule yet...

Segments:
http://www.iowadot.gov/cbinterstate/StudyApproach.asp

Schedule:
http://www.iowadot.gov/cbinterstate/ProjectSchedule.asp
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Good news here for the Missouri River Bridge.

Road Work Continues

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/99786359.html
www.wowt.com wrote:For anyone who commutes to and from Iowa and Nebraska on I-80 over the Missouri River, drivers can expect to travel new ground. By the end of the week, the state expects westbound traffic to be moved over on the new westbound lanes so work can begin on the middle portion. This project isn't slated for completion until 2012. For drivers like Falconer, he says he never likes the delays and dirt, but in the end it's worth it. “You're complaining and probably cursing as you are driving through but once they get it done, it's like, wow, what a relief,” says Falconer.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Good to see progress moving right along on this project.  It is helping to make a nicer front door to Omaha.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Interstate work part of massive reconstruction plan
. . . The state plans to create dual left turn lanes for northbound expressway traffic that wants to turn left onto westbound I-80, said George Feazell, Iowa Department of Transportation engineer. Currently, there’s just one lane that frequently backs up traffic, especially with long trucks waiting to turn left. . .

Along with this, the project will also involve the removal of that entry ramp for motorists coming from the north, he said. When the project is done, that traffic will continue south until the traffic lights, he said. There will be a right-hand turn lane built at that intersection.

Another aspect will be the widening the interstate entry ramp to allow for dual lanes of traffic before the lanes merge into one prior to entering interstate traffic, just like it does now, Feazell said.

The $2.1 million project, funded by the state, should be completed yet this year, weather permitting, he said. . . .

--William Jennings Bryan
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Slowly but surely they're improving the Interstate through CB. I'm looking forward to both I-80 bridges being opened over the Missouri, which I assume will happen within about a month to get ahead of any wintery weather.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

The improvements to the turn lanes will be a welcome addition in this area. Due to the large amount of traffic and the short duration of the light, traffic often backs up on South Expressway.

I also will be very happy when the I-80 bridge opens up. I cross it two to four times every day and get very frustrated with the eastbound traffic. I am guessing that the Iowa side of the reconstruction (6 lanes each direction) is behind schedule due to funding. I hope they get started on this next year.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Any idea when they open both bridges? I know they're only going to be opening 3 lanes in each direction until the other sections can get funded, but even that one extra lane will make a huge difference in the eastbound traffic, I would think.

It seems like the other bridge could have been opened a while ago.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

Driving into Iowa tonight it appeared that the eastbound bridge will be open by the morning commute. Hopefully this will help clear up some of the congestion on the bridge, especially during rush hour. Another step completed in this very long project.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

So, was the bridge open?
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Apparently, there are now 6 lanes open in each direction, though the article isn't completely clear.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111104/N ... -wide-open
As of Friday morning, motorists traveling Interstate 80 between Nebraska and Iowa had full access to all eastbound and westbound lanes.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Per OWH writer Julie Anderson:
Sorry Peder. There are now three lanes each way on I-80, up from two each way before. Ultimately, there will be five going west and four going east.
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

The bridge is to be 10 lanes I thought?  That's what Iowa DOT has on their schematics of the project: http://www.iowadot.gov/cbinterstate/Segment1.asp.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

They had always said "up to" 10 lanes, but that never meant that they would go with 10 immediately. Also, I doubt we'll move beyond 6 until the 480/75 and 13th St changes are made, much less the I/29-I/80 changes on the Iowa side.

Still, it's looking like we'll have 8-10 lanes on the Nebraska side plus the bridge, with 12 lanes on the Iowa side (6 each for I-80 and I-29), so there'll be dramatically greater capacity in a few years.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

riceweb wrote: . . . so there'll be dramatically greater capacity in a few years.
How "few" is "few" will depend greatly on what happens in DC in the next 4-5 weeks.

--William Jennings Bryan
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

riceweb wrote:They had always said "up to" 10 lanes, but that never meant that they would go with 10 immediately. Also, I doubt we'll move beyond 6 until the 480/75 and 13th St changes are made, much less the I/29-I/80 changes on the Iowa side.
I understand that construction is ongoing and they obviously will not open all lanes on the bridge only to bottleneck everything at the western 29/80 split.  The part that confused me was the article mentioned 4 lanes eastbound and 5 lanes westbound as the ultimate goal.  Clearly an oversight on the author's part.
Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

No, that's correct, the fifth lane is only between the western 80/29 split and 13th, where it will exit. I'm like 95 percent sure.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/Publ ... 38385.html
A public hearing, addressing the third segment of the Council Bluffs Interstate System or C.B.I.S. project, is set for Tuesday night from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Mid-America Center, One Arena Way...

That project phase will impact I-80 from the Indian Creek to just east Madison Avenue. Transportation officials are looking at widening that stretch of road in the coming years. It also addresses I-29, from south of the U.S. 275/IA 92 interchange north to the east system interchange.

Eventually, transportation officials want to turn the six lanes at the I-80/-29 split into 12 lanes. Outer lanes would be used for local traffic, entering and exiting the interstate. Inner lanes would be "express" lanes, to carry vehicles straight through without interruption.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

The 12 lane proposal is absolutely necessary if Council Bluffs follows through with it's long range plan to become a suburb of Los Angeles.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

ricko wrote:The 12 lane proposal is absolutely necessary if Council Bluffs follows through with it's long range plan to become a suburb of Los Angeles.
The reason for the "12" lanes is because they are planning to somewhat separate I-80 and I-29 on the overlap. There will be I-80 Express, which will be three lanes in each direction and will not have access to 24th Street or the South Expressway. Then there is I-29/I-80 Local, which will be three lanes in each direction, but will have access to 24th Street and the South Expressway.

http://www.iowadot.gov/councilbluffs/DDFVideoLarge.asp
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Billion-dollar interstate reconstruction to be completed in about 8 years

From the Nonpareil:
The majority of the Council Bluffs interstate reconstruction should be completed by 2020, or maybe a year later, an Iowa Department of Roads official said Tuesday.

This would include six lanes – three local and three express lanes – in each direction on Interstates 29/80, plus numerous new bridges and relocation of some existing railroad lines, said Scott Suhr, district planner.

“Everything is on track,” he said at a public information meeting. “The bulk of the work should be done in 2020 or 2021.”....
Removal of the Burlington Northern Santa Fe tracks along the South Expressway by the Manawa Power Shopping Centre is also planned.

“You won’t have traffic backed up on the South Expressway,” Suhr said
http://www.southwestiowanews.com/counci ... mode=story
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I think it is a good design, which will separate local from true interstate traffic.  Everyone will benefit.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I've always thought that that seems like a lot more capacity than is necessary. I don't see them needing 12 lanes before the time comes to tear this down and rebuild it again. I'm not sure they'd ever need that much capacity should the mass transit renaissance keep continuing.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

At this rate they'll have it done about the time gas hits $14.
Stable genius.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Yeah, 12 lanes seems like overkill to me.

BTW, I was curious how 12 lanes stacked up against other big freeways.  The records is 26 lanes on a section of I-10 in Houston.  Apparently everything really is bigger in Texas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katy_Freew ... st_Texas_2
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

Twelve lanes may seem like a lot but considering I-80 is 8-11 lanes through Omaha as it is, it's not a stretch to think that I-80/I-29 will need the capacity in the future.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

You also have to remember that it's not six contiguous lanes in each direction like I-80 eastbound between 42nd and I-480, but two systems consisting of three lanes each - one for I-80 and one for I-29. It's more like I-80 around the I-L-Q exits. If you count all those lanes, it's actually 13.

In this project, there will actually be an area where there's 15 total lanes. It's just east of the west I-29 interchange:

Another thing - within the next few years, there's plans to add three additional lanes to westbound I-80 between I-480 and 60th Street. That will make it a total of 14. (See page 39 in http://www.mapacog.org/images/stories/S ... latest.pdf)
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

OSILayer8Support wrote:Another thing - within the next few years, there's plans to add three additional lanes to westbound I-80 between I-480 and 60th Street.
Ugh. I would rather see a dividing wall between 480's merge lanes and I-80WB, much like what's on the JFK just south of 80/480/75 down almost to L Street. That would probably do more to improve flow than an additional few lanes. Most of the time it's just people trying to cut across traffic that slows everything down.  

What would be great is to continue the 4th lane on I-680 from 80/680 through to Dodge instead of trying to stuff 4 lanes into 3. Anyway, enough threadjacking. Back to I29/I80.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Wow, that's pretty crazy.  Adding all those lanes.  Is that really necessary?
omaja
Library Board

Post by omaja »

OSILayer8Support wrote:You also have to remember that it's not six contiguous lanes in each direction like I-80 eastbound between 42nd and I-480, but two systems consisting of three lanes each - one for I-80 and one for I-29. It's more like I-80 around the I-L-Q exits. If you count all those lanes, it's actually 13.

In this project, there will actually be an area where there's 15 total lanes. It's just east of the west I-29 interchange:
I-29/I-80 will be 12 through lanes: six local I-29/I-80 and six express I-80.  The other lanes you see there are auxiliary and merging lanes for 24th Street.
OSILayer8Support wrote:Another thing - within the next few years, there's plans to add three additional lanes to westbound I-80 between I-480 and 60th Street. That will make it a total of 14. (See page 39 in http://www.mapacog.org/images/stories/S ... latest.pdf)
What page is that project on?  That doesn't seem to make much sense unless they do a local/express setup.  The 42nd Street interchange is way too close to I-480 to provide easy access for I-80 westbound to cross over 5 lanes to exit.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

omaja wrote:The 42nd Street interchange is way too close to I-480 to provide easy access for I-80 westbound to cross over 5 lanes to exit.
Yeah, that would be like getting on 480 at Ed Creighton/Martha and trying to go eastbound on 80 in rush hour! I've had to go out to the 42nd street exit and turn around more than once!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

|expletive| yeah. Pave the world.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

S33 wrote:|expletive| yeah. Pave the world.
I haven't been able to find it online, but one of my civil engineering professors in college had a cartoon on his office door that showed an outline of the US with traffic lanes covering it, across the entire height of the country.  There was a speech bubble from one of the drivers sitting in standstill traffic saying "We need to invade Canada and Mexico so we can add more lanes."
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Seth wrote:
S33 wrote:|expletive| yeah. Pave the world.
I haven't been able to find it online, but one of my civil engineering professors in college had a cartoon on his office door that showed an outline of the US with traffic lanes covering it, across the entire height of the country.  There was a speech bubble from one of the drivers sitting in standstill traffic saying "We need to invade Canada and Mexico so we can add more lanes."
Yeah, I think you are also describing the same decal that is on a lot of the concrete trucks around Omaha which had that image, and also reads, "Pave the World."
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

S33 wrote:Yeah, I think you are also describing the same decal that is on a lot of the concrete trucks around Omaha which had that image, and also reads, "Pave the World."
Hmm, I haven't seen it; I'll have to keep an eye out for one.