Google Maps & Google Earth

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

What?

Google earth is not up to date.  They are still building the Holland center in the aerial photo.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

google maps is not up to date == the school i work at is shown as still being in the construction stage and it has been open for 6 years.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Google Earth is several years back. It still shows the 680/Dodge Expressway interchange under construction. What was that, 2005/6?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The Counties have the most up to date Aerials, and a lot more useful info.

http://www.dcgis.org/dogis/

http://maps.sarpy.com/sims20/

http://gis3.pottcounty.com/giswebsite/

Bing in also newer than google
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Bing showed me the same map for the area around my school and neighborhood.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Uffda wrote:Bing showed me the same map for the area around my school and neighborhood.
Were you using the aerial or bird's eye view?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Bird's eye view is a little more up to date but still probably 4-5 years old.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

My guess is birds eye is roughly 4 years old. It looks like its in the fall, my church was completed in spring 2006, and it doesn't look like exterior demolition has begun on UP which was about half way done in fall of 2007 if I recall correctly.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
joleo
Home Owners Association

Post by joleo »

Here in Des Moines metro, our google maps (google earth) seem to be updated almost every year.  In fact, last year it was updated twice!  Once about the first of the year and once in May (the current images).  This is very nice and as somebody involved with development, everyone at our firm uses it almost daily.  I don't understand why Omaha isn't this way but Des Moines is.  Can anybody shed some light on this issue?  I do know this...

Fall 2009/ early 2010 des moines images are the same images as the assessor's pages here.  The May 2010 images are not and were flown by somebody else.  City officials and the county assessor have no idea where these images came from....asking a couple of my connections.  Google must have flown these themselves and unfortunately the quality isn't quit as good as the other google uploads.

Most the years though, when they appear on the assessor's page, within a few months, they are also on Google maps.  Exact same images.  Why doesn't Omaha/ douglas county do this too????
brick
New to the Neighborhood

Post by brick »

Google earth displays the highest quality image that they have for an area.  For omaha, those are April 2004.  However, there are images available from Aug 2009.  You just have to click the clock button in your toolbar and then use the slider to go back in time.  You can actually see images as far back as 1993, which is interesting.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Unfortuately, the front camera seemes to have had a smudge on it, so many of the images are a quarter blurry.
They REALLY need to reshoot these. That smudge is BAD.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Google Maps have updated shots of Omaha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

It still appears that these are much more out of date than the Bing maps.  When looking at TD Ameritrade Park, the google maps still show it under construction.  The Bing maps show both it and Werner Park fully completed.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

skinzfan23 wrote:It still appears that these are much more out of date than the Bing maps.  When looking at TD Ameritrade Park, the google maps still show it under construction.  The Bing maps show both it and Werner Park fully completed.
I noticed that too, but at least it is better than the 2004 images that Google had last time I used it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bing has 2 levels of photos, "Community View" and "Neighborhood View"  Community is a higher elevation than the Neighborhood.

The community view is 2011 photos, the Neighborhood view is 2008.  Get over TD Ameritrade and look ta the stadium.  then start zooming in.  once you hit a certain elevation the stadium will disappear and the old parking lot will show up.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Brad wrote:
The community view is 2011 photos, the Neighborhood view is 2008.  Get over TD Ameritrade and look ta the stadium.  then start zooming in.  once you hit a certain elevation the stadium will disappear and the old parking lot will show up.
I noticed that it did that as well, but I am amazed at how recent their photos are compared to google.  By the way how do you know what year the photos are from.....does it just have it updated on the page in the corner?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Brad wrote:
I noticed that it did that as well, but I am amazed at how recent their photos are compared to google.  By the way how do you know what year the photos are from.....does it just have it updated on the page in the corner?
The Neighborhood view has the old up 1/2 demolished and they were just building the showroom at the Wallstreet Tower.  I think that is 2008.
The Community view has "The Yard" under construction so that was this spring.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I think it was bing that showed my new lawn furniture on my patio.  I bought it the end of March 2011.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

brick wrote:Google earth displays the highest quality image that they have for an area.  For omaha, those are April 2004.  However, there are images available from Aug 2009.  You just have to click the clock button in your toolbar and then use the slider to go back in time.  You can actually see images as far back as 1993, which is interesting.
I sure wish Google Earth had an aerial satellite map of Omaha from the 80's.  That'd be cool.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

mrsticka wrote:
brick wrote:Google earth displays the highest quality image that they have for an area.  For omaha, those are April 2004.  However, there are images available from Aug 2009.  You just have to click the clock button in your toolbar and then use the slider to go back in time.  You can actually see images as far back as 1993, which is interesting.
I sure wish Google Earth had an aerial satellite map of Omaha from the 80's.  That'd be cool.
The City/County GIS site http://www.dcgis.org/dogis/ will have that option soon.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

How about from the 1920s?
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:How about from the 1920s?
Not sure.  The Pottawattamie County GIS goes back to 1938  http://gis3.pottcounty.com/giswebsite/

Quality is what you expect for 1938...
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Sapry GIS goes to 1955
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I was making a satellite joke.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I think it went...over their heads.  

bah-dum.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Google Maps has new aerial images for what appears to be the entirety of Omaha and new bird's eye view images of downtown. Judging from the progress of the new apartment building at 12th and Howard, they appear to be from March of this year.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Google Maps has new aerial images for what appears to be the entirety of Omaha and new bird's eye view images of downtown. Judging from the progress of the new apartment building at 12th and Howard, they appear to be from March of this year.
I would assume its the same as Google Earth which is March, 2012.  I thought we talked about that in this thread already but I don't see it.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:
TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Google Maps has new aerial images for what appears to be the entirety of Omaha and new bird's eye view images of downtown. Judging from the progress of the new apartment building at 12th and Howard, they appear to be from March of this year.
I would assume its the same as Google Earth which is March, 2012.  I thought we talked about that in this thread already but I don't see it.
I think it was a different thread we talked about that.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Brad wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
The City/County GIS site http://www.dcgis.org/dogis/ will have that option soon.
I seem to be having trouble getting the map to appear onscreen.  I can get the Pottawattamie and Sarpy County maps with no problem at all.  But Douglas seems to be a no-go.

EDIT: It's working now.  I don't know why it wasn't before, but everything's fine now.
Last edited by mrsticka on Sun May 13, 2012 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seems to be working fine for me.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The Douglas County's GIS website has always been slow. I wouldn't be surprised if the server was an old Pentium II home computer sitting in a basement somewhere.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Brad wrote:
mrsticka wrote:
When will that be?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

They have been working on a new DCGIS site for a good long time and I think they are close to done, thank goodness.  Also, another round of new aerials will be flown next year.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Google Mps had current picsPHO of Boyert Chute.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Still waiting for it.  I contacted those guys a few months ago and they said they'd have the new site up by summer.  Well, now it's summer and I'm still waiting for it.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

On http://maps.google.com most of omaha's pictures were taken in 2008, 2009.... anyone wanna update them?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

koberaptor wrote:On http://maps.google.com most of omaha's pictures were taken in 2008, 2009.... anyone wanna update them?
Use google earth.  They were taken March 2012.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

koberaptor wrote:On http://maps.google.com most of omaha's pictures were taken in 2008, 2009.... anyone wanna update them?
Also if you zoom in far enough with 45° view off, the pictures are pretty recent. I think they were updated around the same time as Google Earth.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
Also if you zoom in far enough with 45° view off, the pictures are pretty recent. I think they were updated around the same time as Google Earth.
I've seen them.  It's pretty cool.  They only have 45 degree angle views of Omaha, though.  Not Lincoln, unfortunately.  I think they should also redo the Street View shots to be in high resolution.

EDIT: They now have 45 degree angle views of Lincoln, as well.
Last edited by mrsticka on Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.