Canopy Street (The Yard Lincoln)

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Canopy Street (The Yard Lincoln)

Post by iamjacobm »

So it turns out this project is sharing the same name as a parking lot in Omaha.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/housi ... mode=story
* Traction Lofts, two L-shaped, six-story brick buildings with first-floor retail and housing that would appeal to students and young professionals.
It would have a trendy, urban loft feel similar to the Tip Top apartments in Omaha, West said.
The buildings could have apartments, condominiums and maybe even a hotel on some lower floors.
Some housing would be built as three- or four-bedroom units that would appeal to students. In coming years, different types of housing, including more luxurious condos for purchase, would be built south of the development.
There would be a parking garage west of the Traction Lofts.
* The Yard, a public marketplace surrounded on three sides by a coffeehouse with rooft seating, restaurants and other retail.
The courtyard area would be highlighted by what designers are calling "The Cube," a giant box with screens that could showcase art, seasonal touches like images of falling snow in the winter, basketball highlights after a game, Husker football games and even movies on select nights.

Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Wow. . . I think there may be a few differences between their yard and ours. I love the architecture and layout.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Axel wrote:Wow. . . I think there may be a few differences between their yard and ours. I love the architecture and layout.
No kidding.

This place looks awesome.  I think the B1G move sort of shifted Lincoln's view on what they should strive to be as a city.

Instead of being a peer with Manhattan and Ames they are looking to Madison.  Very exciting stuff down I-80.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Committee members largely were impressed with the designs, but some said it doesn't live up to their vision of great views of the Capitol and a cohesive blend of historic with the new West Haymarket.

Others were concerned The Yard divided the historic Haymarket from the newer development to the west instead of bringing them together. Some remembered talking about having an open area in front of the arena.

Commissioner Berwyn Jones said: "It's like our discussions never got to these people."
Right, because the goal of the arena was to draw more lawns and non-tax-revenue generating vacuums to the area, not residences and commerce.
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Committee members largely were impressed with the designs, but some said it doesn't live up to their vision of great views of the Capitol and a cohesive blend of historic with the new West Haymarket.

Others were concerned The Yard divided the historic Haymarket from the newer development to the west instead of bringing them together. Some remembered talking about having an open area in front of the arena.

Commissioner Berwyn Jones said: "It's like our discussions never got to these people."
Right, because the goal of the arena was to draw more lawns and non-tax-revenue generating vacuums to the area, not residences and commerce.[/quote]

I don't remember being able to see the capitol from there anyway.

Please no more useless open spaces. They're rarely done right and end up being dead zones.
delinea design
Home Owners Association

Post by delinea design »

Way to go, Lincoln. This is larger-scale than what I expected (that's rare these days), much denser. Exactly what that part of downtown should look like. My hometown is really starting to let the "small town feel" go, thankfully. I really think this has a lot to do with WRK - these guys are changing the face of downtown, Lincoln. Now, imagine the Sheldon modern art expansion gallery and the hotel WRK is currently building just to the east. Good stuff. I wonder if WRK could do something with our "Yard."
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

delinea design wrote:Way to go, Lincoln. This is larger-scale than what I expected (that's rare these days), much denser. Exactly what that part of downtown should look like. My hometown is really starting to let the "small town feel" go, thankfully. I really think this has a lot to do with WRK - these guys are changing the face of downtown, Lincoln. Now, imagine the Sheldon modern art expansion gallery and the hotel WRK is currently building just to the east. Good stuff. I wonder if WRK could do something with our "Yard."
Is the Sheldon expansion still on?  I remember reading a few years ago that Zaha Hadid was designing the addition, but I haven't heard anything since.
delinea design
Home Owners Association

Post by delinea design »

ricko wrote:
delinea design wrote:Way to go, Lincoln. This is larger-scale than what I expected (that's rare these days), much denser. Exactly what that part of downtown should look like. My hometown is really starting to let the "small town feel" go, thankfully. I really think this has a lot to do with WRK - these guys are changing the face of downtown, Lincoln. Now, imagine the Sheldon modern art expansion gallery and the hotel WRK is currently building just to the east. Good stuff. I wonder if WRK could do something with our "Yard."
Is the Sheldon expansion still on?  I remember reading a few years ago that Zaha Hadid was designing the addition, but I haven't heard anything since.
I'm hopeful they can secure funding. As I understand, Zaha Hadid had done some initial design work. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If the Hadid design came to fruition, the city would be inviting people into downtown from the east with some of the most interesting architecture, presenting an image of the importance of art alongside all the huge sports venue investments (Pinnacle Arena, Haymarket Park, Breslow ice and Memorial Stadium).
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Project is awesome, hopefully it comes to fruition!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Nice update article saying construction should start this August and take about a year along with tons more details.

http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt- ... eff59.html

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This got TIF approved today.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
Axel wrote:Wow. . . I think there may be a few differences between their yard and ours. I love the architecture and layout.
No kidding.

This place looks awesome.  I think the B1G move sort of shifted Lincoln's view on what they should strive to be as a city.

Instead of being a peer with Manhattan and Ames they are looking to Madison.  Very exciting stuff down I-80.

I don't think this was B1G influenced.  We can attempt to credit many things to the change of conferences, I don't think downtown Lincoln is one of them.

Greg
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Most of this stuff was in the pipeline prior to the move to the Big Ten.  The B1G happened quickly...projects like these move slowly.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

HskrFanMike wrote:Most of this stuff was in the pipeline prior to the move to the Big Ten.  The B1G happened quickly...projects like these move slowly.
Agreed.  I think the only project you can really attribute to joining the B10 (or at least the reason it moved so rapidly) was Memorial expansion.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Again I didn't say it was this specific project.  Just the general mindset of the city.  Becoming more bicycle friendly, roundabouts, concentrating on preserving the urban fabric.  Just last month the city council decided not to tear down an old Haymarket building for a parking garage that had been in the works for years and move the site a block away to a surface lot.  Things like that haven't always been the thought process for the city.

In an article today they said they are looking to challenge Portland in terms of bicycle infrastructure improvements.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I can't see 2008 Lincoln pushing for some of the same improvements that 2012 Lincoln is.
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Greg S, & all others:  I've commented here and elsewhere about the potential influence upon Lincoln, and Nebraska of the (now current) UN-L membership in the B1G Ten.  My opinion, for what it's worth, after living in Omaha (hometown), SW Iowa, Chicago, SE Nebraska, and now, for the last 20 years- Lincoln,..is this question boils down to:  in Nebraska and nationally, Lincoln is known for mostly two things...location of the NE State Government, (which is NOT competing with other states for bureaucrats!), & UN-L, which MUST now compete with Iowa City, Madison, Wisc., Columbus, Ohio, Evenston, Ill, Ann Arbor, etc., for students, research grants, news articles, sports prowess, & etc.  In that regard, most current Lincoln improvements, while they were planned before the BIG 12 split, are NOW seen in the light of how Lincoln can compete, as well as cooperate with the B1G (ten), for UN-L and spin-off business.  This is the new "paradigm shift" for Lincoln, and Nebraska, and will help to shape many future political and economic decisions.  This will be fun.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:Again I didn't say it was this specific project.  Just the general mindset of the city.  Becoming more bicycle friendly, roundabouts, concentrating on preserving the urban fabric.  Just last month the city council decided not to tear down an old Haymarket building for a parking garage that had been in the works for years and move the site a block away to a surface lot.  Things like that haven't always been the thought process for the city.

In an article today they said they are looking to challenge Portland in terms of bicycle infrastructure improvements.

Maybe it is just a coincidence, but I can't see 2008 Lincoln pushing for some of the same improvements that 2012 Lincoln is.

I could.  Lincoln has been moving in this direction for years.  Look at some of the bridges and such they've installed for their trails for the last 10 years.  Some serious money.

I just don't see how we can credit a change of conference for this.  I don't thing Lincoln city planners and such are trying to figure out ways to compete with West Lafayette, Madison and East Lansing.  Not sure if the Big 10 cities are raising the bar over Boulder, Austin and Lawerence.

Greg
ad2330
Home Owners Association

Post by ad2330 »

All these renderings of 'The Yard', coupled with the new arena and haymarket atmosphere, really replicates the American Airlines Arena in Dallas.  Obviously, it's on a much smaller scale, but it looks like it will have the same type of atmosphere down there that they've achieved in Uptown.  

Super stoked for this and let's hope Timmy Miles can put a winning product on the floor to help it progress.
Omahanerd
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahanerd »

Walked around the area today and got a real good vision for what the final product will look like. This is really going to be big for Lincoln, the Haymarket will have a complete new look. The city has certainly turned the corner and seems to finally be in a "pro development" state.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

We have a little update and a confirmed timeline on the project...

http://journalstar.com/business/local/p ... 9a36c.html

Traction Partners also plans to have The Yard, a public marketplace, open by Aug. 1, although West said construction won’t start there until Oct. 15.

“We don’t even get The Yard site until then,” he said, because that's when city workers will be finished with utility work.

Also, construction on the hotel, which has been rumored to be a Hyatt, should start by mid-November.

“We hope to have it open for state basketball in 2014,” Scott said.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

BTW, the buildings in the above rendering are REALLY boring.  Hopefully they look better in the final product.
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

Whats with all the hype with Madison wisconsin?? In what ways are they better than lincoln besides being located on a river
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

koberaptor wrote:Whats with all the hype with Madison wisconsin?? In what ways are they better than lincoln besides being located on a river
Its actually a lake.  Madison is lightyears ahead of Lincoln as well as cities double its size, it is very dense and extremely pedestrian friendly.  

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree, Madison is way ahead of many metro areas.  I have been there many times and I think that it might be one of the most pedestrian friendly cities in the US.  It is on a peninsula and bordered by Lake Mendota and Lake Monona.  It has a metro population of nearly 2 times the size of Lincoln's. It also has almost 48% of people who have at least a bachelor's degree.  If it weren't for the terrible winters, I could see Madison being a much larger city.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The time line for this is awesome!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

skinzfan23 wrote:I agree, Madison is way ahead of many metro areas.  I have been there many times and I think that it might be one of the most pedestrian friendly cities in the US.  It is on a peninsula and bordered by Lake Mendota and Lake Monona.  It has a metro population of nearly 2 times the size of Lincoln's. It also has almost 48% of people who have at least a bachelor's degree.  If it weren't for the terrible winters, I could see Madison being a much larger city.
How do you mean twice the metro population?

I like Madison a lot.  One thing, they are starting to have a lot of issues on State St.  which is too bad I've always enjoyed my time there.  Great persian restaraunt that I never miss when I go there.

Greg
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Greg S wrote:
skinzfan23 wrote:I agree, Madison is way ahead of many metro areas.  I have been there many times and I think that it might be one of the most pedestrian friendly cities in the US.  It is on a peninsula and bordered by Lake Mendota and Lake Monona.  It has a metro population of nearly 2 times the size of Lincoln's. It also has almost 48% of people who have at least a bachelor's degree.  If it weren't for the terrible winters, I could see Madison being a much larger city.
How do you mean twice the metro population?
I like Madison a lot.  One thing, they are starting to have a lot of issues on State St.  which is too bad I've always enjoyed my time there.  Great persian restaraunt that I never miss when I go there.

Greg
Madison's metro population is about 568,000.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Apparently the commercial/retail is over 50% leased for the overall project, mix of national/local.  Hopefully this project as a whole does not pull a "Lincoln" and everything works out, so far there have been some very ambitious opening dates (two years).
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin's comments on the restaurant page reminded me.  The apartment building on this site is nearly topped out steel wise.  It looks pretty damn cool next to the arena steel.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:Linkin's comments on the restaurant page reminded me.  The apartment building on this site is nearly topped out steel wise.  It looks pretty darn cool next to the arena steel.
Is that the apartment building?  It is so hard to tell.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Linkin's comments on the restaurant page reminded me.  The apartment building on this site is nearly topped out steel wise.  It looks pretty darn cool next to the arena steel.
I guess I don't know if it is the hotel or apartment.  I was guessing off the rendering you posted.  The current structure is closest to the arena and in this rendering:

The building further away from the arena has the same crown/point type thing that all the new Hyatt Place hotels have.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:
I guess I don't know if it is the hotel or apartment.  I was guessing off the rendering you posted.  The current structure is closest to the arena and in this rendering:

The building further away from the arena has the same crown/point type thing that all the new Hyatt Place hotels have.
I think you are right but it is really hard to tell.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Thanks for the link!!

Not sure if this has been found before but this PDF found on that website has tons of great info and renderings!

http://www.canopyst.com/images/MarketingPacket.pdf
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Yeah this project is freaking incredible.  Eomaha would have to change it's collective shorts if anything of this scale was u/c across from our arena.  heck, we are 10 years in and haven't seen anything like this.  Lincoln's arena isn't even open yet.

And yes I know the Shamrock proposal is bigger than this, wake me when that gets funding.  Can we call these developers?  They seem to get |expletive| done.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

There is already steel work topped off across from the arena but I don't know what it is for?  It looks like it is for Hyatt but I'm not sure, do you know Jacob?
Steve
Home Owners Association

Post by Steve »

(First time poster, long time reader.)

The Chamber of Commerce has an arena cam mounted above the old Amtrak Station in the Haymarket that shows progress of numerous buildings.  It's not the greatest (seems it just went out of focus a bit ago) but you can see the beginnings of the newest building just south of the arena.  I'm not sure if that corner is the lofts or hotel either.  (you have to click on play to show the video below):

http://mail.lcoc.com/ArenaCam.htm
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Steve wrote:(First time poster, long time reader.)

The Chamber of Commerce has an arena cam mounted above the old Amtrak Station in the Haymarket that shows progress of numerous buildings.  It's not the greatest (seems it just went out of focus a bit ago) but you can see the beginnings of the newest building just south of the arena.  I'm not sure if that corner is the lofts or hotel either.  (you have to click on play to show the video below):

http://mail.lcoc.com/ArenaCam.htm
Thanks for posting that Steve!  I have been lurking on that webcam everyday and it is definitely a great way to check out the progress.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:There is already steel work topped off across from the arena but I don't know what it is for?  It looks like it is for Hyatt but I'm not sure, do you know Jacob?
I am like 75% sure it is the apartments.  I am just basing that off of the fact that the apartment portion is slated to get done before school starts in 2013.  They are already taking apartment reservations I think.

Also the other building will feature a Hyatt Place as noted before, but the top two floors will be condos.
HuskerAlum04
New to the Neighborhood

Post by HuskerAlum04 »

This should be renamed as the "Canopy Street" forum.  There is a new packet out for media information.  Really good renderings on what is to become.  You can tell how new the packet is by the "Hyatt" is included in the pictures and "Breslow Ice Center" is also included.  I believe this packet is only a week old at most.  You can find it in the 'background' section at this website:  http://www.canopyst.com/

Also the steel structure is topped off.  It appears that this will be completed late next year and the Hyatt will follow early next spring for construction.  Also appears that canopy street is rolling and some finishing underground sewer work was today.  I'm sure right after that this will really get rolling.

I'll be biking this area each week and post pictures...