Local Car Dealership thread

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cdub wrote:Lexus working on a major overhaul of their site.  Probably beginning next spring.
It must have been a good year for car dealerships...

Lexus
Two Performance Dealerships in Bellevue
The Performance expansion lot in Southport
Nissan Of Omaha near 180th and Dodge
Fiat near 180th and Dodge
Huber on 114th and Dodge is remodeling

I can't remember for sure, but I think there is another dealership going next to Fiat.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Fiat Photo Update

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Old Mill Toyota is moving west to 180th and Dodge

http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... sc/33a.pdf
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Brad wrote:Old Mill Toyota is moving west to 180th and Dodge

Cool!  That will make it much easier to take the wife's Highlander in for service.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

TechnicalDisaster wrote:

Cool!  That will make it much easier to take the wife's Highlander in for service.
Literally next door to your new office!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

As far as a massive car dealer goes this will be ok.  They are actually taking some advantage of the already constructed on-street parking.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Brad wrote:
TechnicalDisaster wrote:

Literally next door to your new office!
Yep.  I think I'm going to use all the car dealerships as a way to save the company money.  Every time we have someone out of town visit us, I'll walk over to the car dealership and 'test drive' a car for the day.  No more rental car fees!**

**Note to the lawyers of said car dealerships:  This is just a joke.  Please do not sue me.
***Pretty Please.
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I don't know how well they make cars, but Fiat sure can make a commercial.

[youtube][/youtube][/url]
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I've wanted a 500 Abarth Esseesse ever since they drove on on Top Gear.  I generally love little, nimble cars with power, though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like Lexus at 132 and Dodge is expanding:
http://www.cityofomaha.org/cityclerk/im ... g/317a.pdf
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Looks like Lexus is Temporarily moving its operations to 120th and Dodge in the old Ford Dealership while work at the current location takes place.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

With Lexus temporarily relocated they have been moving fast on the rework of their site.  I knew they said that they were doing a lot but I guess I missed the fact that they were taking the existing structure down to the ground.  Looks like a fair amount of the concrete flatwork is taken out too.  

I have always thought this was somewhat of a strange location for the dealership.  With all the work that they are doing and essentially starting over, along with the cost of temporarily relocating does anyone else find it a bit strange that they are starting over in the same location?  Wouldn’t there be some logic that says they should have moved west to locate where all the other dealers have located over the last 6 - 8 years.  There has to be land out there that could be had.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:With Lexus temporarily relocated they have been moving fast on the rework of their site.  I knew they said that they were doing a lot but I guess I missed the fact that they were taking the existing structure down to the ground.  Looks like a fair amount of the concrete flatwork is taken out too.
Eventually all the concrete is coming out.  They also took out the gas station and they are going to take out that office building that looks like a house behind their fence on the east end.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:With Lexus temporarily relocated they have been moving fast on the rework of their site.  I knew they said that they were doing a lot but I guess I missed the fact that they were taking the existing structure down to the ground.  Looks like a fair amount of the concrete flatwork is taken out too.
Eventually all the concrete is coming out.  They also took out the gas station and they are going to take out that office building that looks like a house behind their fence on the east end.

Costs not factored in, I would think it would be a lot less disruptive to build and move to a new location rather than do what they are doing.  My gut feel says the costs would not be that much different when everything is factored...... and I don't thing their location is that great for a dealership anyway.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Any idea if they got Tif at their current location they wouldn't of gotten at a new location further west?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:Any idea if they got Tif at their current location they wouldn't of gotten at a new location further west?

That is a posibility I hadn't thought about.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I have always thought this was somewhat of a strange location for the dealership.  With all the work that they are doing and essentially starting over, along with the cost of temporarily relocating does anyone else find it a bit strange that they are starting over in the same location?  Wouldn’t there be some logic that says they should have moved west to locate where all the other dealers have located over the last 6 - 8 years.  There has to be land out there that could be had.
I guess I don't understand why its a strange location.

I think the reason why they would stay there is because the customer base already knows where they're located and its very centralized to the rest of the metro area.

It also means one less business moving to the fringe and leaving an empty building in the middle of the city.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:

I guess I don't understand why its a strange location.

I think the reason why they would stay there is because the customer base already knows where they're located and its very centralized to the rest of the metro area.

It also means one less business moving to the fringe and leaving an empty building in the middle of the city.

Correct, if you look at all lexus dealerships you can see that they are in a centrally located part of a city so it is easier for people to go in fo routine maintenance. I think it makes sense.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Old Mill Toyota was supposed to break ground this year on a brand new sales facility out by Village Point.  But I was told there has been a delay until at least next year.  Meanwhile Performance Toyota is hard at work expanding their relatively new facility off of Harrison Street.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Bellevue expects auto dealers to jumpstart development

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120913/M ... evelopment
Barbara Soderlin, World-Herald Staff Writer wrote:The development of two auto dealerships at Chandler Road in Bellevue will provide a welcoming gateway for visitors and spur economic development in the area, Bellevue officials say.

Woodhouse Nissan opens today at its new location at the southeast corner of Chandler Road and the Kennedy Freeway. Performance Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram of Bellevue is under construction on Chandler Road on the west side of the Kennedy. Both are on previously undeveloped properties.
mikeymartin1979
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mikeymartin1979 »

Hey guys. I'd like to point everyone over to Gregg Young Chevrolet - updated inventory online, all that good stuff. My buddy works there, he's good people!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The structure for the new Lexus dealership looks pretty much finished up.  It is pretty big and it looks like there is at least a two floor indoor vehicle storage building separate from the showroom at the back end of the property.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I heard from some builders that the Lexus will very likely not be done by Christmas. They're going to meet with the owners Monday to find out more, but supposedly they are spending a lot on this site.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:I heard from some builders that the Lexus will very likely not be done by Christmas. They're going to meet with the owners Monday to find out more, but supposedly they are spending a lot on this site.
No kidding!  They must be pushing 18 months on this project already and it still isn't finished as I zipped by yesterday.
BRoss
IT Director

Re: Local Car Dealership thread

Post by BRoss »

I guess Lexus is finally finished after 18 months:
After 18 months away, Lexus of Omaha returns to rebuilt Dodge location
Janice Podsada / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The dealership, part of the Performance Automotive Group, returned to its original location after spending 18 months at a temporary sales site. A newly rebuilt dealership at 13025 West Dodge Road opens today at 7 a.m., said Rob Mueting, Lexus of Omaha general manager.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Revamped Omaha Lexus campus draws company's attention
Janice Podsada: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Lexus of Omaha is one of four U.S. Lexus dealers to achieve Elite of Lexus recognition every year since the Omaha dealership opened in 1990. The annual award recognizes excellence in sales, service and customer service.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now it is Woodhouse's (66th & L) turn. A $1m 8k sq. ft. addition to this complex.
Planned before the hailstorm in Blair, I wonder if any plans will change...
BIG-T
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BIG-T »

Between the Woodhouse auto family or the Baxter/Performance owner they have almost every common line of car out there.

I know there are good and bad things about both companies depending on who you talk to, but there a lot better that some of the big out of town companies that take over local car dealers around here.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Lexus facility is pretty impressive.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The most recent Stan Olsen TV commercials made me curious as to whats going on. Looks like they are becoming part of Performance.

Performance Auto Group to acquire Stan Olsen, plans to give its employees ‘a good home’

http://www.omaha.com/money/performance- ... a7efe.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Jordon / World-Herald staff writer wrote:Two of Omaha’s oldest auto dealers will become one at the end of the year, joining two Scandinavian-heritage families whose patriarchs grew up within 50 miles of each other in southwest Iowa.

Performance Auto Group, headed by the Anderson family, will acquire Stan Olsen Auto Group from three Olsen siblings, who will trade in their ownership for some time off.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Rumor has it that Performance is going to move the Subaru store they bought in the Stan Olsen deal out to 180th and Dodge.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:Rumor has it that Performance is going to move the Subaru store they bought in the Stan Olsen deal out to 180th and Dodge.
Boo! I was thinking of buying one from them soon. Might have to consider Edwards over in CB now. Westroads is really a good "centrally" located place in the metro. I hate the trend of all of the dealers moving so far west. I guess they have to follow the sprawl too, which they helped create.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

It's interesting that a lot of the luxury car brands like Land Rover, Jaguar, Lexus, BMW, and others are staying around Regency and Westroads, and Porsche and Lincoln are staying down on 50 or 60 somethingth and L. While it's easy to see the concentration of money in Regency and Westside, there still is quite a bit to be had out in the Wild Wild West.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I would guess one reason most dealers are moving further west has to do with needing more land to keep larger inventories, as much as any other reason. It's amazing how many vehicles many dealers keep in stock now...Woodhouse in Blair for example. I think I read they routinely keep over 4000 cars, or something like that.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

GetUrban wrote:I would guess one reason most dealers are moving further west has to do with needing more land to keep larger inventories, as much as any other reason. It's amazing how many vehicles many dealers keep in stock now...Woodhouse in Blair for example. I think I read they routinely keep over 4000 cars, or something like that.
Never thought of that...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So this quote in the UNO arena naming article got me thinking....
Baxter, also associated with the name Performance Auto Group, owns 21 auto dealerships in the metro area, Lincoln and Kansas City. Having the Baxter name on the arena is part of an effort by the auto dealer to rebrand and get its name out in the community.
Are they going to re-brand all the dealerships in to Baxter?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is what it sounds like
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:That is what it sounds like
In KFAB's radio report this morning they said it was somewhat business related but more a family thing so maybe there will be a chance but it sounded like that was not the driving factor.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Back in the 60s and early 70s there was a Johnny Baxter commercial on every 5 minutes. Ive known that name well since I was old enough to talk. The same guy always did those commercials and he would say the name Johnny Baxter like it was real important. There was a huge Johnny Baxter dealership in Benson that filled the entire area from Maple to Military Street.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

It sounds like they are thinking about moving towards Baxter.

http://www.omaha.com/money/m-deal-for-u ... e775e.html
Cole Epley / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Baxter Auto Group name could become far more prolific around the Omaha metro area in the wake of the 21-store auto dealer’s 10-year, $4 million deal for naming rights to the new UNO arena near 67th and Center Streets.

The homegrown automotive dealership’s Wednesday arena-naming announcement is just the first step in Baxter’s efforts to more clearly connect its multiple brands across the area, said Scott Zagurski, chief marketing officer at Baxter-owned Performance Auto Group.

“We’ll be looking at how we can extend our Baxter brand to our other stores,” Zagurski told The World-Herald.