Fidelity Investments Data Center (Project Photon)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Fidelity Investments Data Center (Project Photon)

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120919/N ... rpy-county
Tuesday, the Sarpy County Board accepted the low bid of nearly $2.9 million from Vrana and Son Construction of Omaha to pave portions of 114th Street and Cornhusker Road near the site of a proposed 100,000-square-foot data center known as “Project Photon.”
County Administrator Mark Wayne has told the County Board that Project Photon involves a $225 million building and 25 initial jobs, but the company has long-range plans to build a headquarters on the 152-acre site, which could bring thousands of additional jobs.
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Re: Project Photon

Post by Erik »

iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20120919/N ... rpy-county
Tuesday, the Sarpy County Board accepted the low bid of nearly $2.9 million from Vrana and Son Construction of Omaha to pave portions of 114th Street and Cornhusker Road near the site of a proposed 100,000-square-foot data center known as “Project Photon.”
County Administrator Mark Wayne has told the County Board that Project Photon involves a $225 million building and 25 initial jobs, but the company has long-range plans to build a headquarters on the 152-acre site, which could bring thousands of additional jobs.

They say that luring any type of headquarters is tough to do and often not a common way of job growth.  Most job growth is getting expanding businesses to expand in your area or to foster new businesses.  

I have to admit that I am quite pleased to see Omaha not only do well in fostering new businesses (still has room to grow) and getting businesses to expand here, but the late 1990s and 2000s trend of luring regional or corporate headquarters (obviously heavy in favor of regional versus corporate, too be expected)here seems to be growing into a more consistent role here.  I am beginning to be convinced that Omaha is not only marketable for this type of job growth, but appears to be in the picture of the business world.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Project Photon

Post by iamjacobm »

Erik wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:http://www.omaha.com/article/20120919/N ... rpy-county

They say that luring any type of headquarters is tough to do and often not a common way of job growth.  Most job growth is getting expanding businesses to expand in your area or to foster new businesses.  

I have to admit that I am quite pleased to see Omaha not only do well in fostering new businesses (still has room to grow) and getting businesses to expand here, but the late 1990s and 2000s trend of luring regional or corporate headquarters (obviously heavy in favor of regional versus corporate, too be expected)here seems to be growing into a more consistent role here.  I am beginning to be convinced that Omaha is not only marketable for this type of job growth, but appears to be in the picture of the business world.
Although I think data centers can get a little overrated in their impact I am really glad to see another one in the metro, fantastic news.  And that talk of a HQ relocation which could bring "thousands" of jobs is immensely exciting.

I am curious as to know who's data center it is.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Fidelity Investments

Papillion Mayor David Black's FB Page wrote:Papillion Announces "Projet Photon":
I along with Gov. Heineman & Fidelity Investments announce a new Data Center. Fidelity becomes the third company to build a data center in Papillion joining Cabela's and Co-Sentry.

"We believe the site we’ve chosen will provide us with the flexibility to build to our specifications in a location that will accommodate our needs now and in the future." said
Steve Scullen, President of Corporate Operations for Fidelity Investments.

Fidelity will start construction immediately and expects the new facility to be operational in 2014. The design and construction of the facility will be in accordance with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards and will be designed to attain LEED certification.

“This project and the associated infrastructure are significant to Papillion's growth,” said Mayor David Black, Mayor of Papillion. “Not only are we adding a good business and industry, but the water and sewer extensions can help accelerate the natural growth in the western part of our jurisdiction.”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Great news for Papillion.  I wonder if that talk of long range headquarters plan is more like Gallup where their operational HQ is here, but not their designated HQ.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

iamjacobm wrote:Great news for Papillion.  I wonder if that talk of long range headquarters plan is more like Gallup where their operational HQ is here, but not their designated HQ.
That was the first thing that jumped into my head.  Fidelity is going to move from downtown Boston?  Not out of the realm of possibility but they have thousands of employees in Boston and are privately owned by the Johnson family.  Closet Husker fans?  I'd say iamjacobm may be onto something.  Back office?  Sales?  Who knows?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

NovakOmaha wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Great news for Papillion.  I wonder if that talk of long range headquarters plan is more like Gallup where their operational HQ is here, but not their designated HQ.
That was the first thing that jumped into my head.  Fidelity is going to move from downtown Boston?  Not out of the realm of possibility but they have thousands of employees in Boston and are privately owned by the Johnson family.  Closet Husker fans?  I'd say iamjacobm may be onto something.  Back office?  Sales?  Who knows?
How about a regional operation center?  Found this as their current structure.  Headquartered in Boston, Fidelity employs over 38,000 people with 11 regional operations centers across the United States and Canada: Cincinnati, OH; Covington, KY.; Dallas, TX; Marlborough, MA; North Carolina; Merrimack, NH; New York/New Jersey; Salt Lake City, UT; Smithfield, RI; Jacksonville, FL; Albuquerque, NM; and Toronto, Canada.

http://jobs.fidelity.com/ourcompany/loc ... ndex.shtml

If you click on the cities on the right hand side they all show what their offices concentrate on.  I think something along those lines is very possible in Papillion.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

iamjacobm wrote:I wonder if that talk of long range headquarters plan is more like Gallup where their operational HQ is here, but not their designated HQ.
Not a bad situation in the case of Gallup. The ops headquarters here is far and away the biggest office worldwide, maybe even by 4 or 5x the next largest; DC "HQ".
Coyote
City Council

Re: Project Photon - Fidelity Investments Data Center

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Re: Fidelity Investments Data Center (Project Photon)

Post by Coyote »

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Is that a green roof I see? Impressive.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Crane is back...: