Saddle Creek (Dodge to Hamilton)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Saddle Creek (Dodge to Hamilton)

Post by Brad »

Saddlecreek Target -> Neighborhood Market

The Grow Omaha Guys mention the other day that Walmart plans to build a "Neighborhood Market" on the old Saddle Creek Target Property.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

better than nothing, I suppose. although the area probably doesn't really need another grocery store.

Post by Guest »

I can't believe I'm saying this but this is a good thing.  That empty Target is sucking the life out of that area.  The building is trashed, all the copper / piping has been stolen with massive water damage inside.   The owners live in Canada and don't give a rats |expletive| about it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bye-Bye No Frills if this happens.
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Ya. No Frills needs to go.  They are not nice to their employees.

Post by Guest »

Guest2 wrote:Ya. No Frills needs to go.  They are not nice to their employees.
As if Wal-Mart is.
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Does this change the master plan for Saddle Creek?  Isn't it supposed to move?
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Moving Saddle Creek is probably more a pipe dream of UNMC than anything and there is and has never been any hint of money for it.  This wouldn't really prevent anything though if that changed.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

cdub wrote:Moving Saddle Creek is probably more a pipe dream of UNMC than anything and there is and has never been any hint of money for it.  This wouldn't really prevent anything though if that changed.

UNMC wants to move it south of Dodge.   Give it usable space for more research towers between bit and the cemetery.  

The thing about that is that there is a creek under the road, so handling the water has to be factored in.   UNMC's plan to open the creek and create some pondage and green space would help the leavenworth street floods.  

Pretty soon the west edge of UNMC will start encroaching on elmwood park.   One of our outposts is at the architecture building on 50th.  Just a matter of time...

Post by Guest »

bigredmed wrote:
cdub wrote: Pretty soon the west edge of UNMC will start encroaching on elmwood park.   One of our outposts is at the architecture building on 50th.  Just a matter of time...
Ha, good one….
HuskerSteve
New to the Neighborhood

Post by HuskerSteve »

I am not a fan of Wal-Mart, but I agree, a WalMart Market is better than the empty building we have now.

I overheard a (pretty loud) discussion at a restaurant the other day...sounded like one of the guys was the owner of the Westlake Hardware store next to the old Target.  He said that Walmart will take over the north end of the building and have a new north entrance.  The southern part of the building will have a few retail bays.  He sounded a little miffed that it would take back some parking lot space that he uses for mulch sales and such...
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:Bye-Bye No Frills if this happens.
I just heard yesterday that things are already not looking good for them.

As for Wal-Mart moving to the location of the old Target building - it's about time someone came in and filled that vacant space! I also heard yesterday that they were planning on something like 9 locations around town.
liquid
New to the Neighborhood

Post by liquid »

OSILayer8Support wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Bye-Bye No Frills if this happens.
I just heard yesterday that things are already not looking good for them.

As for Wal-Mart moving to the location of the old Target building - it's about time someone came in and filled that vacant space! I also heard yesterday that they were planning on something like 9 locations around town.
So if a mini Walmart moves into the old Target space that's been vacant for years it's good. Okay, that makes sense. I agree. But in turn the same neighborhood might lose No Frills, leaving an equally-large retail space empty a block away. If that happens it seems like we'd be back to square one here.

I hope No Frills stays and I wish Goodwill would've gotten that old Target space instead. Ah well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I would take No Frills (LOCAL) over Walmart any day of the week.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HuskerSteve wrote:I am not a fan of Wal-Mart, but I agree, a WalMart Market is better than the empty building we have now.

I overheard a (pretty loud) discussion at a restaurant the other day...sounded like one of the guys was the owner of the Westlake Hardware store next to the old Target.  He said that Walmart will take over the north end of the building and have a new north entrance.  The southern part of the building will have a few retail bays.  He sounded a little miffed that it would take back some parking lot space that he uses for mulch sales and such...
I heard the same tonight except the Target building will be leveled to make way for the new development.
HuskerSteve
New to the Neighborhood

Post by HuskerSteve »

anybody heard any news about the Walmart Market @ Saddlecreek lately?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:I would take No Frills (LOCAL) over Walmart any day of the week.
I'm pretty sure this was pointed out elsewhere but this is now owned by Nash Finch, so no longer local.
Stable genius.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

With Nash Finch and Bag N Save both now being owned by Nash Finch, going to be interesting to see which ones they close.  Can't imagine they will keep all of the stores open.

Greg
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Greg S wrote:With Nash Finch and Bag N Save both now being owned by Nash Finch, going to be interesting to see which ones they close.  Can't imagine they will keep all of the stores open.

Greg
You mean No Frills?
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

NovakOmaha wrote:
Greg S wrote:With Nash Finch and Bag N Save both now being owned by Nash Finch, going to be interesting to see which ones they close.  Can't imagine they will keep all of the stores open.

Greg
You mean No Frills?
Didn't Nash Finch buy both Bag N Save and No Frills?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

Greg
You mean No Frills?
Yes they own both now, Greg had a typo and Novak was correcting him.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

A little clearer info on what I most recently heard.  Target building gone, Wal-Mart in a new building facing north retail bays between Westlake and Wal-Mart.  The retail bays wouldn't face Saddle Creek though, they would face each other looking north and south at each other.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:The retail bays wouldn't face Saddle Creek though, they would face each other looking north and south at each other.
That would be interesting.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

Greg
You mean No Frills?
Ah, I see now. That would make more sense. I guess I was just being an idiot and not thinking about what he meant in that post. :roll:
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

iamjacobm wrote:A little clearer info on what I most recently heard.  Target building gone, Wal-Mart in a new building facing north retail bays between Westlake and Wal-Mart.  The retail bays wouldn't face Saddle Creek though, they would face each other looking north and south at each other.
So kind of a main street sort of concept?
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:
HR Paperstacks wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:

Greg
You mean No Frills?
I suppose I was correcting him but I was confused by the post as well.  I didn't know if there were stores branded Nash Finch in Omaha also.  Either way I get it now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:A little clearer info on what I most recently heard.  Target building gone, Wal-Mart in a new building facing north retail bays between Westlake and Wal-Mart.  The retail bays wouldn't face Saddle Creek though, they would face each other looking north and south at each other.
So kind of a main street sort of concept?
Yeah a bit.  It won't be anything too crazy though from what it sounds.  They said they expecting or looking more for like insurance office and dentist office type places more than retail stores.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah that was my fault, put Nash Finch when I meant No Frills.

Greg
Overheard

Post by Overheard »

La vista city council just approved a plat change for the Wal-Mart Market at 96/Giles.  That one is a done deal.  Comments at the meeting said the six or so WalMart Markets planned for the Omaha area were planning on opening at the same time, Jan 2014.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:The retail bays wouldn't face Saddle Creek though, they would face each other looking north and south at each other.
That would be interesting.
Yeah, that does sound kind of odd.  I guess it adds a little variety to a strip mall.
michaelsjewel
Home Owners Association

Post by michaelsjewel »

Anonymous wrote:
Guest2 wrote:Ya. No Frills needs to go.  They are not nice to their employees.
As if Wal-Mart is.
I worked for Wal-Mart as a cashier for almost 4 years in the past and I would say they aren't cruel to their employees. All the |expletive| that's in the news is mostly hype started by unions mad about the fact that Wal-Mart refuses to join a Union. Unless you have worked there yourself and have experienced cruel treatment, you have no grounds to say it. So sick of the wal-mart bashing lol... I used to work there - but don't shop there much due to the crappy people that shop there...that's the only disgust I have with the store. Besides, Target is closer to me.

Post by Guest »

I heard that the whole property is going to be cleared for a mixed use project.   From what I heard, there is going to be two buildings and a parking garage.   One of the buildings is going to have ground floor retail (Walmart) and five floors of apartment homes above.   The other building will be the same height and will be an Extended Stay hotel.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Walmart in an Urban development...? Doubtful.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Axel wrote:Walmart in an Urban development...? Doubtful.
Its possible.

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That would be incredible.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

While this *is* the rumors section, I would be shocked if that actually happened, but wouldn't complain a bit (aside from the walmart bit, anyway)
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Seems a stretch.

Post by Guest »

Not sure why you would think this is such a stretch.   By the sound of it, it's been confirmed that Walmart is going locating a store on this property.  With the popularity of Midtown Crossing, Aksarben Village, and Downtown, I can see where there could be a demand for more apartments in this area.   As for an Extended Stay Hotel, I think a lot of times they put these kind of hotels near hospitals.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, we started this rumor over a year ago!

Walmart eyes using former Target site on Saddle Creek as Neighborhood Market

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130109/N ... ood-market
Roseann Moring WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Walmart is considering developing a neighborhood grocery store in the former Target location on Saddle Creek Road.

An attorney for Walmart has been in informal contacts with the city for about a year, said Omaha City Councilman Chris Jerram, who represents the area.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Do you think WalMart is monitoring this forum for expansion plans like the OWH does for story ideas?
Stable genius.