Official: Creighton joins the Big East!

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Silverspoon wrote:
cp jay 07 wrote:Can we just ban this clown. Obviously a troll not bringing any facts to the table.

Also sweet South Park caricature of yourself, didn't know those were still popular.
Wow, burn?   :shrug:

Im gonna quit :deadhorse: that is the feeble Creighton hoops program which is far overrated around here until tourney time.  If they make it, Ill check back on this thread.
It can't be a dead horse when you are the only person saying it.

Please spare us and don't come back, go back to HHC and let us have actual intellegent conversations here. By the way when you are projected as a 4 seed in December there is a good chance you will make the dance so not a very big IF there.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

cp jay 07 wrote:Can we just ban this clown. Obviously a troll not bringing any facts to the table.

Also sweet South Park caricature of yourself, didn't know those were still popular.

No, we don't need more "No posts exist for this topic" errors.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

jessep28 wrote:

No, we don't need more "No posts exist for this topic" errors.
Is that what causes that problem?! I wonder if there's a way to reindex all the topics to get rid of that issue...
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

cp jay 07 wrote:
Silverspoon wrote:

Wow, burn?   :shrug:

Im gonna quit :deadhorse: that is the feeble Creighton hoops program which is far overrated around here until tourney time.  If they make it, Ill check back on this thread.
It can't be a dead horse when you are the only person saying it.

Please spare us and don't come back, go back to HHC and let us have actual intellegent conversations here. By the way when you are projected as a 4 seed in December there is a good chance you will make the dance so not a very big IF there.
Why do you have to hate on HHC?  This troll is probably huskerdave.  There are plenty of creighton trolls out there, probably you.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

What's HHC?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

S33 wrote:What's HHC?
It's Husker Hoops Central, a fan messageboard thing. It's essentially where you'll find hopes and dreams of Nebraska basketball Fans (THIS WILL BE OUR YEARRR!!!!111!!oneoneone, Collier/Doc/Miles is turning it around until year 3, etc) and general hatred and obsession for anything Creighton (Which I believe they call "Craydon" to be cute or something?), even though they should be focusing on their own team.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

MadMartin8 wrote:
It's Husker Hoops Central, a fan messageboard thing. It's essentially where you'll find hopes and dreams of Nebraska basketball Fans (THIS WILL BE OUR YEARRR!!!!111!!oneoneone, Collier/Doc/Miles is turning it around until year 3, etc) and general hatred and obsession for anything Creighton (Which I believe they call "Craydon" to be cute or something?), even though they should be focusing on their own team.
Husker BBall has enough fans to have a message board? :shock:
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
We'll see you in 3-5 years when we're winning.  :)
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Linkin5 wrote:
bigredmed wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
We'll see you in 3-5 years when we're winning.  :)

Honestly, I hope they start doing well.  I really get tired of the BrieJays, and it would be good for the local sports scene to have the Mavs killing it in hockey and BBall and the huskers killing it in bball as well.
Silverspoon
Home Owners Association

Post by Silverspoon »

Troll?  Nope
HuskerDave?  Nope

I am an embarrassed Husker football fan, but as far as basketball, like I said in a previous post, I have always been a fan of Arizona.

I also dont know HuskerDave, and dont really care to research any previous posts of his.  As a matter of fact, I only know one person on the board personally, so Im not a troll or a duplicate account...

Back to the topic at hand, the Jays have a huge game tonight against Illinois State.  Theyre tough to beat at home where they have only lost two to the powerhouse programs of Northwestern and Wyoming this season.  The big difference for Illinois State is going to be their rebounding tonight.  If Creighton can crash the boards, and slow down the 154th best rebounding team in the nation, then they will have a chance.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ng-sources

Creighton to be 10th in Catholic Big East?
The Big East's seven departing Catholic schools are expected to start their own league next season and will keep the Big East Conference name, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil.

Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.

Creighton has emerged as the favorite to become the 10th team, and would also join next season, according to sources.
(feel free to move this to the Big East expansion thread I found after posting here...)
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

ESPN is reporting overnight that it is a done deal to be anounced by the end of the week.

Who know if this is accurate or not but it is the most solid that I have seen reported.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ing-report

Big East football schools will get almost all of a $110 million pot in a deal that will allow seven departing basketball schools to keep the name Big East and start playing in their own conference next season, a person familiar with the negotiations says.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the separation agreement has not yet been finalized. That is likely to happen by the end of the week. The football schools will receive approximately $100 million under the agreement.
The so-called Catholic 7, which is expected to add at least two more members before it begins competition in the 2013-14 school year, is made up of Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette and DePaul. Butler, Xavier and Creighton also will join the league, which will begin play in 2013, sources told McMurphy.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

nebugeater wrote:ESPN is reporting overnight that it is a done deal to be anounced by the end of the week.

Who know if this is accurate or not but it is the most solid that I have seen reported.

Big East football schools will get almost all of a $110 million pot in a deal that will allow seven departing basketball schools to keep the name Big East and start playing in their own conference next season, a person familiar with the negotiations says.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the separation agreement has not yet been finalized. That is likely to happen by the end of the week. The football schools will receive approximately $100 million under the agreement.
The so-called Catholic 7, which is expected to add at least two more members before it begins competition in the 2013-14 school year, is made up of Georgetown, St. John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, Marquette and DePaul. Butler, Xavier and Creighton also will join the league, which will begin play in 2013, sources told McMurphy.
SPeaking as an ISU fan, conference change ups kind of stink because you lose a lot of history.  However, the Valley is nothing too great and I dont know how you dont try and make this deal work.  The money part might matter here. The Jays already fill up the Clinc so that wont likely change, but travel would grow.  I have to assume some TV money of some kind might still make it worth while.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

cdub wrote:
nebugeater wrote:ESPN is reporting overnight that it is a done deal to be anounced by the end of the week.

SPeaking as an ISU fan, conference change ups kind of stink because you lose a lot of history.  However, the Valley is nothing too great and I dont know how you dont try and make this deal work.  The money part might matter here. The Jays already fill up the Clinc so that wont likely change, but travel would grow.  I have to assume some TV money of some kind might still make it worth while.

I think it has the potential to have a bigger impact on Student recriting than student athelete recruiting.

I also hope it doesn't do major damage to the the minot sports teams.  

THe money for sports HAS to be a lot better.  I cannot imagin how it would be even in the same order of magnitude of the MO Valley
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Got to think that soccer gets a bump.   Given the money Georgetown makes in home bball games the travel team's share of the gate would have to be sweet.

Better TV deal than CU would get in the valley, better RPI, and an end of the "Creighton versus Who Is That?".  Good for them.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Much much better basketball league.  Will be interesting to see how Coach McDermott does in a league like this.  He's done great in the Valley, was brutal in the Big 12.  This new league is lot closer to the Big 12 in talent than the Valley.

Not good for Creighton baseball.  Been hearing how great the Valley was compared to the Big 10.  To me this is behind the Big 10 in baseball.  Northern teams without the Big 10's money for baseball.

Greg
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Greg S wrote:Much much better basketball league.  Will be interesting to see how Coach McDermott does in a league like this.  He's done great in the Valley, was brutal in the Big 12.  This new league is lot closer to the Big 12 in talent than the Valley.

Not good for Creighton baseball.  Been hearing how great the Valley was compared to the Big 10.  To me this is behind the Big 10 in baseball.  Northern teams without the Big 10's money for baseball.

Greg
They will no doubt take a hit in baseball, but will be moving up the ladder in soccer.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

iamjacobm wrote:
Greg S wrote:Much much better basketball league.  Will be interesting to see how Coach McDermott does in a league like this.  He's done great in the Valley, was brutal in the Big 12.  This new league is lot closer to the Big 12 in talent than the Valley.

Greg
They will no doubt take a hit in baseball, but will be moving up the ladder in soccer.

I would agree on soccer.  I'm not a big soccer guy but I love Morrison Stadium.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big East Basketball

RPI                     Conf    All      RPI    SOS Rk  SOS  
10  Georgetown   15-5   25-6  0.6369  13      0.5821  *
12  Marquette      14-5   23-8  0.6294  11      0.5830  *
20  Butler            13-5   25-7  0.6181  38      0.5626  *
26  Creighton       16-5   27-7  0.6092   81     0.5442  *
52  Villanova        11-9   19-13  0.5794 18     0.5758  *
85  Xavier             9-8   17-14  0.5483  58     0.5557  
88  Providence      9-10   17-14  0.5472 52     0.5567
94  St. John's        8-11   16-15  0.5446 34    0.5656
135  Seton Hall      4-16   15-18  0.5188 65    0.5534
204  DePaul          2-17   11-21  0.4756 107   0.5308

* Tournament bound
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Impressive stats, if only stats.

If that were an actual conference right now, where would it rank in the conference pecking order (based purely on same stats)?  Third?
Stable genius.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

1  Mountain West 0.5812 0.5700 2 9
2  Big Ten 0.5781 0.5731 1 12
3  Big East 0.5749 0.5670 3 15
4  Atlantic Coast 0.5625 0.5571 5 12
5  Big 12 0.5588 0.5575 4 10
6  Pacific-12 0.5553 0.5547 6 12
7  Atlantic 10 0.5485 0.5466 7 16
8  Southeastern 0.5430 0.5415 8 14
9  Missouri Valley 0.5336 0.5331 9 10
10  West Coast 0.5288 0.5268 10 9

New Big East RPI = .572
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Not a bad guess for knowing squat about basketball.
Stable genius.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

10:00 AM anouncment by CU on Wednesday.

http://www.ketv.com/sports/creighton-ex ... index.html

OMAHA, Neb. —Creighton University said it will be holding an event Wednesday to make a special announcement.

The alumni relations department sent an email invitation for the 10 a.m. event to the campus community, alumni and Bluejay fans.

The event will be held at the Eileen Ryan Athletic Center on campus.

At the same time, presidents from schools representing the New Big East Conference will meet in New York to announce "significant progress in the ongoing development of a multi-sport conference."
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I think the announcement should be that they are building an 19,000 seat On Campus Arena that will be a 'enormous resource to the community'. Throw everyone for a loop.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:I think the announcement should be that they are building an 19,000 seat On Campus Arena that will be a 'enormous resource to the community'. Throw everyone for a loop.

Sounds good as long as they throw in surprise number two and stay in the Vallley!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

nebugeater wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:I think the announcement should be that they are building an 19,000 seat On Campus Arena that will be a 'enormous resource to the community'. Throw everyone for a loop.

Sounds good as long as they throw in surprise number two and stay in the Vallley!
They're joining the Summit League to stick it to UNO!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

They're dropping football.
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

They're moving their entire campus to Gretna and renaming themselves the Classroomes at Creightone Universitye Pointe.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:They're moving their entire campus to Gretna and renaming themselves the Classroomes at Creightone Universitye Pointe.
I KNEW the new outlet mall s just a cover story for some other use for that property!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton joins BIG EAST Conference
Creighton University officially became a member of the BIG EAST Conference at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, July 1, 2013. Creighton and fellow newcomers Butler and Xavier join a BIG EAST that retains DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, Seton Hall, St. John's and Villanova. The partnership was announced on March 20, 2013 in New York.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Staggered by Creighton’s departure, the Valley regroups in hopes of remaining strong for years to come

After reading this story, and the future prospects for UNI, ISU, and others, you have to wonder how far down the MV will fall, and then their recruiting prospects...
Greg S
City Council

Re: Official: Creighton joins the Big East!

Post by Greg S »

Interesting few weeks for the Big East. Anybody catch the 30 for 30 on the Big East, Requiem for the Big East? As always very well down, but devoted little time to the new Big East.

I also thought it was a blow to the league when Buzz Williams left Marquette to go to Virginia Tech. Just a few years ago, many scoffed when his name was brought up to leave Marquette for NU. I think the league would have liked for Shaka Smart to take the Marquette job, but instead he turned it down.

Going to be interesting how this league evolves going forward. Right now it seems to be between a mid-major and the Automatic Qualifier conferences.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Interesting numbers from Dirk's Mad Chatter on Creighton's TV ratings this year. Did not realize Wichita State drew higher numbers in the Valley:

http://sports.omaha.com/2014/04/09/mad- ... 0atf-mYbcs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greg
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Ever think Dirk has an agenda? This is a much better unbiased article.

http://painttouches.com/2014/04/08/big- ... -in-march/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A slow start gave way to a roaring finish at FS1. Overall, a B+ on a curved scale.

So while it is true that FS1′s basketball ratings were weak overall in comparison to ESPN’s, the trend line is much more favorable to FS1 than pundits and ex-Big East coaches would have you believe. The big worry was that no one would watch the channel while the Big East, as well as the other leagues featured, would fade into irrelevance. The race has just begun, but that has already been disproved.

We haven’t even mentioned historical precedent, either. Take a second to let the biases you may hold for or against the network dissipate and look at the facts. FOX has had two extravagant ventures into TV land that have surpassed all expectations, wildly succeeding in every sense of the word.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I never read anything by Dirk. He is hated by Husker fan and bluejay fan alike. And Bo despises him, I am surprised he us still employed in the state.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:I never read anything by Dirk. He is hated by Husker fan and bluejay fan alike. And Bo despises him, I am surprised he us still employed in the state.
I agree, he is a pretty poor writer. Just seems to stir things up...that is the only reason anyone pays any attention to him.

By the way if you read the official report and not Dirk's blog, you would see that yes Fox Sports 1 was very bad, but it was the only sports channel to gain every month of the season.
Big East, FOX Sports 1 ratings pick up steam in March
ESPN ESPN2 ESPNU ESPNNews NBCSN FS1
November 1,233,000 359,628 121,750 110,500 157,100 64,813
December 1,464,769 501,051 141,650 33,000 77,600 77,381
January 1,486,367 449,514 139,688 58,143 47,529 97,263
February 1,430,477 378,608 139,792 48,625 92,500 112,639
March 1,414,030 396,143 161,417 73,143 70,857 200,080
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I'm not a Dirk fan either. I did hear Richard Deitsch (from SI) on the Nick Bahe show and he did mention that overall, Fox Sports 1 has disappointed in the ratings. Stated that in bigger markets it gets lost. Did say Fox probably gives it 2 years to get some traction. If it does not grow significantly by then, might be in some trouble. Big East was not the only issue with the network, it was the programming all over the place.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Did this jump hurt their baseball team?

22. Indiana St. 73. Xavier
32. Dallas Baptist. 107. St. John's
43. Illinois St. 116. Creighton
91. Wichita St. 119. Seton Hall
99. Missouri St. 207. Georgetown
100. Evansville. 230. Butler
114. Bradley. 260. Villanova
158. S. Illinois
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

The MVC has a lot more baseball history than the Big East. Top to bottom the MVC is better than the Big East in baseball. No doubt. Last weekend was CU's first conference baseball game in the new league and they swept Georgetown. How ever, CU baseball has underperformed this year but that has nothing to do with the Big East. The opening day pitching rotation did not pan out. The weekday starter is now the Friday starter. Upper class position players have not hit as was expected. Moving into the future we will just have to see what it does to recruiting. Too soon to say.