2012-2013 Creighton Basketball

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Agreed it was a tough one and from what I saw they had some chances?  

Question since I saw much of the game it did not have sound up if something was said.  Why was CU. wearing the white?
almighty_tuna wrote:Tough loss today in Wichita. First road & conference loss all in one.
Last edited by nebugeater on Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Creighton lost because of Wichita St offensive rebounds/second chance points. I believe it ended up being something like 20-3, in favor of Wichita St. Creighton lacks physicality, and may have been exposed yesterday.

McDermott was ridiculously good, as always. Oh yeah, and too many turnovers.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Second chance points killed them for sure, plus that flagrant 1 which was a ridiculous call.

CU falls to 12 in the USA Today polls (or Butler and MSU move ahead after impressive victories)
WSU gets back in at 21 and Dana Altman's Oregon comes in at 19!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Falls to 17 in the AP, WSU up to 20.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Another tough loss for the Jays on Wed night in Des Moines vs. Drake.  McDermott had the flu and still scored 19.  Hopefully they can pull out a victory on Sun night @ S. Illinois.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Jays win 81-51 @ S. Ill.  McDermott double-double with 21 pts and 10 rebs, Echenique double-double with 12 pts and 11 rebs.  18-3 record now, hopefully they remain in the top 25 despite wed's loss.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

They can beat anyone whom they can physically outplay. Which means, if they make it to the tourney, will doubtfully win a game. McDermott undoubtedely knows he's gotta start recruiting more athetic players and follow the lead of Gregg Marshall, at Wichita State.

30 pt wins are great and all, but when you can't win the big games in a mid-major conference, nobody cares.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

S33 wrote:They can beat anyone whom they can physically outplay. Which means, if they make it to the tourney, will doubtfully win a game. McDermott undoubtedely knows he's gotta start recruiting more athetic players and follow the lead of Gregg Marshall, at Wichita State.

30 pt wins are great and all, but when you can't win the big games in a mid-major conference, nobody cares.

Wisconsin is as physical a team as there is, and Creighton handled them pretty okay. Boise State shot lights out, and Wichita State was at their home...and it was only a three point loss. Drake was an anomaly, which there is usually a few each season. I fail to see how this spells doom come tourney time.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I guess with this Logic Duke loosing by 27 to Miami a week or so ago should have them just packing it in and giving up on the season.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

[quote="S33"]They can beat anyone whom they can physically outplay. Which means, if they make it to the tourney, will doubtfully win a game. McDermott undoubtedely knows he's gotta start recruiting more athetic players and follow the lead of Gregg Marshall, at Wichita State.

30 pt wins are great and all, but when you can't win the big games in a mid-major conference, nobody cares.[/quote]

Are you sure you are a Creighton fan? all you do is say good job and then start bashing them. They have played probably the most physical team in college basketball (Wisconsin) and beat them by 10 or 12, I can't remember. As well as putting up more points against them than any other team in the past two years and probably two years to come as well.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone here has been watching the games. They are literally beating the heck out of McDermott under the hoop, how more fouls aren't being called, I don't know. But this new physicality the other teams are now playing with is working, and Creighton knows it.

When they played Wisconsin, Wisconsin wasn't throwing 2 or 3 guys at McDermott, all of which are supposed to get a "hip or hand" on him each time they pass him. the game wasn't anywhere near as physical as they are now, and Wisconsin simply tried to outscore Creighton (which the country quickly figured out would not work).

Creighton needs another physical player like Echinique or Wichita St's Carl Hall, if they are going to last in the tournament.

Nothing I have said is "bashing" Creighton, in both games they lost, the other team was a heck of a lot more physical and all I did was point that out.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Again, the three losses Creighton has;

Boise State: Shot lights out...beyond lights out
Wichita State: Only game Creighton was boxed out successfully due to Greg choosing to take an outside approach, and the fact Wichita State was getting away with plenty..
Drake: Anomaly game. These happen all over.

Saying Wisconsin wasn't trying to penetrate and "wasn't as physical as they are now" makes me wonder if you watched that game... Or the Arizona State game... Or really any of the other out of conference games.

But, you see what you can see. Come tournament time, or rather Wichita State at the CLC, I guess we'll find out.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Wisconsin was not guarding McDermott (or the inside in general) like teams in the MVC have been. Plain and simple. But whatever, I will hold my opinion unless its all sunshine and rainbows.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

Nobody's talking about the loss of Josh Jones. Tough to lose a senior that's getting 15 mins a game. Especially in the Wichita St game, Creighton looked sloppy with the ball, and I think that's in part because other players had to step up. I expect Creighton to improve as the season progresses as their backup guards get more minutes.

And as was mentioned, McDermott had the flu in the loss to Drake. Anomaly game, nothing more.

I don't understand how people can be so pessimistic about Creighton bball. What's the expectation? That they never lose a game? There are 347 programs playing D1 basketball, and if somehow Creighton finds their way to the Sweet 16, I'd have to think that'd be an incredible year.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

All I am saying is that in the two games Creighton recently lost, they were manhandled underneath the basket. Maybe there should have been more fouls called, I don't know.

Flu or no flu, McDermott still scored 19, only 4 below his average. The story of the Drake game is not that it was an "anomaly", when Creighton loses, its because of giving up too many second chance points and from being out-rebounded. (which tends to plauge undersized, less physical teams)

Nobody is sitting here expecting them to win every game, I'm just pointing out why I think they lost those games.

God forbid someone have an opinion on this forum.
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

I'm not actually dogging you, S33... I'm remembering, who was it? Silverspoon's Creighton rant a couple weeks ago?

I agree that Creighton's soft under the basket, and if they have an off night shooting in the MVC or NCAA tourney, they will probably lose.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Creighton is weak under the hoop, but they are also the #1 FG% and 3pt% team in the country.  I agree, if they are having an off shooting night, it could spell disaster for them in the tournament.  Right now though I am very proud to be a season-ticket holder.  Getting to witness the best college basketball player in the country currently in front of an average of nearly 17,000 fans every night.  Many other schools would love to have the success that Creighton is having.  There are always going to be things to improve on (more physical play, crowd more into games, better opponents) but overall last season and the current one have been great to witness. It is a great time to be a Jay!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CU dropped 4/5 points in the polls, not too bad, but Altman's Ducks are now up to 10/12 in the polls.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to ticketmaster, there are only 13 single seats left for Saturday's Pink Out game vs Bradley.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

16,811 watch a good games as CU puts up 91.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:16,811 watch a good games as CU puts up 91.
Doug now has 500+ points on the season.  1000+ points at home as a Jay!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Saturday's game vs Bradley is already sold out.  They are selling standing-room only tickets starting at 10am on Saturday.  Should be a great crowd, possibly the largest of all-time.  The first 14,000 fans get a free pink-out tshirt.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Saturday's game vs Bradley is already sold out.  They are selling standing-room only tickets starting at 10am on Saturday.  Should be a great crowd, possibly the largest of all-time.  The first 14,000 fans get a free pink-out tshirt.
lol 14,000. What's another 4,000?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Last Year's Pink Out looked awesome, cant wait to see tomorrow's

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

CU wins 75-58 in front of 18,111. Now 20-3 on the season.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And Wichita has their own 2 game Valley losing streak!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Jays will take on St. Marys in the final year of bracketbusters on Jan 23.

On a side note, the Jays moved up to 13th in the ESPN poll and 16th in the AP.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

"Pink Out" 18,111

Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Awesome pictures Brad!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Collin wrote:Awesome pictures Brad!
Thanks Collin!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Nice stuff!!

Did you get a Fish eye lens or is that somthing you have had?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Nice stuff!!

Did you get a Fish eye lens or is that somthing you have had?
Thanks.  Neither, borrowed it from another photographer that Adam and I know.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wow. WSU just lost to SIU by 2 on the road. They now have a three game MVC losing streak.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Bracket Buster: 2/23 @ St Mary's
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Worst game of the year for Creighton....got blown out @ Indiana St. 57-76.  The game wasn't even that close.  Nobody besides Will Artino came to play including McDermott.  I keep saying this after their losses, but hopefully they will learn from this one and come out ready to play Saturday night vs Ill St.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Is it possible that Creighton just isn't a top 25 team?
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

I'm scratching my head about that one. I'm also failing to see who Creighton has actually beaten this year... seems like the only team they've beaten is Wisconsin. At this rate, the Jays won't make the tourney without an autobid.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

riceweb wrote:I'm scratching my head about that one. I'm also failing to see who Creighton has actually beaten this year... seems like the only team they've beaten is Wisconsin. At this rate, the Jays won't make the tourney without an autobid.
Hahahahaha Jesus Christ people get off the pedestrian bridge THEY HAVE 4 LOSSES, 3 of of them to pretty good competition.

Beating UW, Cal, and Indy State at home look good in March, still have a shot to beat St. Mary's and WSU. Jays fans need to step back and realize they are still in 1st place with 1 bad loss at Drake.

The good news is no one is blowing the doors off College basketball this year. Every team has had a game where they have lost to a bad team or gotten blown out.

Jays won't be getting the 3-4 seed we all hoped for but sweep the valley titles and we will be a 5-6 I believe. Just stay out of the 8-9 range and CU will be fine.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Jays also have a win over Akron, who hasn't had the toughest schedule, but they do have the longest current winning streak in the nation at 14 games.  Also a win over Arizona St. who is 17-5.