2012-2013 Creighton Basketball

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I'll readily admit my judgement of capacity may be off, but that was not a packed house unless 15-20% of the crowd is out of it's seat at any given time.  13k-14k tops.  I'm looking at pics I took during national anthem and 4-5 minutes into the 1st and you can't swing a dead cat without finding blocks of 8-10 empty seats.  

Were there 17K+ in the building over the course of the night?  Sure.

Also, please turn this into a big deal about how I hate Creighton and you're way more awesome than I am.
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I wasn't there, but dollar beer night in Omaha, I'm putting attendance somewhere around 42,000. ;)
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags wrote:I wasn't there, but dollar beer night in Omaha, I'm putting attendance somewhere around 42,000. ;)
Fair enough.  There may have been 17K at the Budwesier platform or whatever that thing is called.

If there were ever 14K in the seats at one time watching basketball then I'm a monkey's uncle.
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

At the risk of getting yelled at, I didn't think it looked very full, either. I would have guess 13-15K.

But why does it matter, anyway
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

It doesn't.  There just hadn't been a good shitshow over absolutely nothing around here in awhile.
Stable genius.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

S33 wrote:At the risk of getting yelled at, I didn't think it looked very full, either. I would have guess 13-15K.

The Bluejays are famous for "Ohio voting" their bball attendance figures.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bigredmed wrote:
S33 wrote:At the risk of getting yelled at, I didn't think it looked very full, either. I would have guess 13-15K.

According to a CU official, CU counts attendance as Tickets Sold, plus free tickets that are actually redeemed.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bigredmed wrote:

I think what Creighton does is pretty consistent with other sports programs.  I do agree the actual attendance can very significantly with the amount of tickets sold plus the free ones that were redeemed.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

S33 et al were right, this team does suck now.

Bummer.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

The worst part is them proving they could beat just about anyone, or win as many games as anyone, but then completely upset down their leg. I think McDermott is a damn good coach, but what in the heck is up with his second half season meltdowns?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

It almost seems as though they are reluctant to make any changes to the lineup or defensive scheme.  I know that they are all tough decisions but yesterday they didn't start playing zone until the second half.  Once they did, they played much better on d.  

Also it would be a very tough call to take Austin Chatman out, but lately he is killing Creighton. Yesterday he played 27 minutes (0-7 from the field, 0-3 from 3, 2 pts, 2 assts, 1 reb). He just dribbles the ball up the court and picks up his dribble at the 3 point line.  He is afraid to drive and now he won't even take an open shot when he has one.  This is simply not acceptable for a starting point guard.  The problem is, there is no one else on the team that can consistently play the point guard spot either.

Creighton definitely needs to start recruiting some athletic players because it is really apparent that they are getting killed in that department.  They used to have a full-court press, but even that can't be used often with the lineup we have.

All in all, still a great season 22-7, but they really need to win the final 2 valley games and have a good showing in the MVC tournament.
Andy_Savage
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Andy_Savage »

These next two games are critical. I don't see em getting an at-large bid if they lose one of the next two. Even if they have a decent showing down in St. Louis
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I'll be heading to St. Louis next week for the MVC tournament so will have some pics, post-game press conference stuff for that. I hope I won't be coming home before Sunday!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

almighty_tuna wrote:I'll be heading to St. Louis next week for the MVC tournament so will have some pics, post-game press conference stuff for that. I hope I won't be coming home before Sunday!
I hope you have a great time and can't wait to see some pics.  I remember last year, someone posted one from the hotel with all the Jays fans and all the blue.  It was a great site to see.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Rumor going around about EW, DM, and a GF as maybe why there are problems with team.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Linkin5 wrote:Rumor going around about EW, DM, and a GF as maybe why there are problems with team.
I'm slow, please spell that out for me. Not quite understanding

Never mind, I got it. Yeah, if true, could be a distraction. But this was a meltdown of sorts.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:
Linkin5 wrote:Rumor going around about EW, DM, and a GF as maybe why there are problems with team.
I'm slow, please spell that out for me. Not quite understanding

Never mind, I got it. Yeah, if true, could be a distraction. But this was a meltdown of sorts.
It's probably not true.  So, spread it like wild fire.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Jays playing great in the last 5 min. A 2 pt lead is now 16.  McDermott already had a double-double with 23pts and 10rebs with 13 min to go in the game.
Andy_Savage
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Andy_Savage »

Looks like they're back to their true form. Well, at least for tonight. Can't wait for the game Saturday!!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Jays win 80-62, now 23-7 on the year.  McDermott finished with 32pts and 11rebs.  Will Artino had a great game 10pts and 7rebs.  Sets up a huge game on Saturday @ the Link.  Currently Evansville is beating Wichita by 3 with 19 secs left.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wichita lost to Evansville by 3.  The CenturyLink Center is the place to be this weekend.  The game has been sold out for over a month and the winner wins the Valley.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:coolwoot:
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Hopefully Creighton can play with some authority, and finally use the size they have with Artino and Gregory. It's a winnable game, and it's a must win.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

On a non game note it was sad in some ways to watch Creighton on 3.2 over the air last night and find that the broadcast quality was better than a KMTV home broadcast on the main Ch 3 network, over the air or otherwise.  With the limited band width that a sub ch gets the picture quaility was still very good and I am guessing it was originating as HD.  Same cannot be said for the CH 3 originated home games.  The two Bradly home guys calling the game didn't do too bad either and were not calling it completely as homers I thought.
Last edited by nebugeater on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

yes, it is pathetic that KMTV does not broadcast in HD
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Found this picture on bluejayunderground.com.  This the standing room only line as of about 10 min after 10 this morning.  Inside and outside the arena waiting to get tickets.  This should be the loudest the C-Link has ever been.  This is also only the third time in the last 30 years of the Valley that two teams are squaring off on the last game of the season with the conference championship on the line.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Missouri Valley Regular Season Champs!!
Andy_Savage
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Andy_Savage »

Just got back from the game. All I can say is WOW!!! Dougie's performance was absolutely incredible 41 pts on 15/18 FG's??? Just Insane. not to mention being perfect from inside the arc. The last two games he's 27/35 for 73 pts!!! Just give him the POY already!!!
Last edited by Andy_Savage on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Great win by the Jays today!  I watched much of the 2nd half on my Ipad while at the Home opener for Husker Baseball.  DM is finsihing strong to say the least.  What a game with 41 points, there have been games where I have watched my Huskers struggle to get that as a team the last couple of years!  Way to finsih strong.

What are the thoughts on the chance that Doug M comes back for his senior year from those of you who follow CU closer than I do?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I really hope he comes back. Against WSU, he took 15 shots but scored 41. How sick is that?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I really hope he comes back. Against WSU, he took 15 shots but scored 41. How sick is that?
It was Awesome!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Drake 81 Bradley 66

Creighton vs Drake tomorrow.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

McDermott is now the all time leading scorer for CU.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jays Win 65-53
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:Jays Win 65-53
What a run to end the game after having it close to a 2 point game with not a lot of time left overal.  Nice win.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CU vs ISU

WSU Vs ISU
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That is:

CU vs Indiana St
WSU vs Illinois St.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Ill St looks gooood.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

S33 wrote:Ill St looks gooood.
Yes they do. And that was why I was hoping WSU had to face them...