Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

2016 U.S. Swim Trials

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like we are after it again.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130114/S ... wim-trials
According to USA Swimming, in collaboration with the United States Olympic Committee, the other cities set to be reviewed in coming months will be Greensboro, N.C.; Indianapolis; Jacksonville, Fla.; St. Louis and San Antonio.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Indy is looking to do it at Lucas Oil Stadium.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:Indy is looking to do it at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Far, FAR too big. That would be just bad.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:

I thought the same thing.  I don't think their basketball arena is available though because the WNBA plays in the summer.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Although I hope Omaha lands this I a, betting it goes elsewhere based on priming interest elsewhere.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

I thought the same thing.  I don't think their basketball arena is available though because the WNBA plays in the summer.

Hmmm.... WNBA vs National Olympic Swimming Trials...

Tough choice, ahah.  :D
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Hmmm.... WNBA vs National Olympic Swimming Trials...

Tough choice, ahah.  :D
WNBA every year is probably a better deal for the arena and area than Swim Trials once every four.  Indy had nearly 130K total season attendance in 2012 for their team and they get that every summer.  We get 160K once every 4 years slammed into 8 days.  Trials carry more cache, but not near the butts in the seats and neighborhood traffic that a permeant tenant brings.

Anyways I think we miss out this time.  Seems like a lot of the talk is about growing the event in different markets.  Kind of surprised how midwest heavy the field is though, no west coast options.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Don't forget that WNBA team probably has a long term contract and the arena can't push them out for anything.

I am sure if the swim trials were from October-April they wouldn't be in Omaha because of UNO and CU.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Indy and Jacksonville are out.  STL, San Antonio, Omaha and Greensboro are still in.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I really hope we get it back, it would be tremendous for the city..

They have to know they are going to get amazing attendance.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Down to three per this tweet.

@RKaipustOWH: Down to Omaha, San Antonio and St. Louis for 2016 U.S. Swim Trials, now that Greensboro out of running http://t.co/QQTER8at8u
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

And this says it will be decided by the 27th.

@RKaipustOWH: According to Omaha Sports Commission, the USA Swimming announcement is still set for April 27
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Strangely think San Antonio is going to get it, unfortunately.
No posts exist for this topic
koberaptor
Home Owners Association

Post by koberaptor »

MadMartin8 wrote:Strangely think San Antonio is going to get it, unfortunately.
what makes you think that? have some faith
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

koberaptor wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:Strangely think San Antonio is going to get it, unfortunately.
what makes you think that? have some faith
Truthfully? I have no idea besides the fact they may want to move it around and Tejas is a big warm state.  Mostly, though, I think it's indigestion.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

According to Channel 6's facebook....USA will select the host city for the 2016 Trials on Saturday at 5 pm.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The host city of the 2016 Trials:....OMAHA!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:The host city of the 2016 Trials:....OMAHA!

HOLY SHEEP!

THIS IS AWEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOMMMEEEEE.

I really thought they'd move it to stupid Texas or Stupid Missouri.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:The host city of the 2016 Trials:....OMAHA!
Awesome!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Great news for Omaha!!

I really though this was a long shot and Omaha would be on the outside looking in but no matter what the results are great!
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Haha YESSSS!! Who knew our 'Little' city could start beating out more traditional hosting cities 3 times in a row! I love my City.  :music:

-adam
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Huge news!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Also it is pretty funny to read articles from the other cities.  Officials saying they were shocked they picked Omaha and that it shouldn't have been close.  Then the assistant executive director says it was a unanimous vote for Omaha from the board.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

iamjacobm wrote:Also it is pretty funny to read articles from the other cities.  Officials saying they were shocked they picked Omaha and that it shouldn't have been close.  Then the assistant executive director says it was a unanimous vote for Omaha from the board.
St. Louis seemed a bit more gracious and ready to move on to other things like the US gymnastics trials. San Antonio was fully on board the waaaambulance.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

almighty_tuna wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Also it is pretty funny to read articles from the other cities.  Officials saying they were shocked they picked Omaha and that it shouldn't have been close.  Then the assistant executive director says it was a unanimous vote for Omaha from the board.
St. Louis seemed a bit more gracious and ready to move on to other things like the US gymnastics trials. San Antonio was fully on board the waaaambulance.

Texas is a HUGE swim state, I still can't believe our proposal beat out theirs.  This is awesome!

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

It's clearly because Texas does indeed suck.

I am really, really, surprised though. I firmly expected them to move it this year and out of all three choices, I predicted Tejas. Glad I was totally wrong (this happens a lot!).
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I watched a story from one of the San Antonio news stations...
http://www.ksat.com/news/san-antonio-lo ... index.html

OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Alex

Did you read the comments after the story on the TV web page.  They are priceless.  Much bashing of theier sports comishion or whatever they call it.  

Some samples
The Olympic Committee wanted an American looking city instead.
with so much at stake why was presentation left to these hill-billy grease balls ?? seriously a $50 million dollar project sold by glorified used car salesmen ??
hey george it's intimate not inimate ? class is a tough thing to crack, russ what's up with that hair-doo ?? scary, you have had that thing since high school, so... scary and scarier were in charge of presentation ? really though who would want to be in san antonio in july , the athletes would be confined to heavily air-conditioned spaces, one wrong step and your in a blast furnace
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:
hey george it's intimate not inimate ? class is a tough thing to crack, russ what's up with that hair-doo ?? scary, you have had that thing since high school, so... scary and scarier were in charge of presentation ? really though who would want to be in san antonio in july , the athletes would be confined to heavily air-conditioned spaces, one wrong step and your in a blast furnace
It wasn't exactly cool outside when the swim trials took place last year.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Watkins: Olympic Swim Trials Belong in Omaha
USA Swimming wrote:But when it comes to hosting an event, few cities (and their corporate partners, business owners, cabbies, citizens on the street, etc.) do a better job than Omaha did the past two Olympic Swim Trials. I honestly can’t think of a better environment for the organization’s signature meet. The swimming community is a very close-knit group, and the intimate nature of the Trials in Omaha is one of the big selling points of its return.

Maybe I’m a little biased (I live across the river in Iowa and work in Omaha), but I’ve never seen a city embrace a sporting event like Omahans (as well as nearby cities and towns) did at last year’s Trials. After embracing the 2008 Trials, most people in town were already familiar with swimming and its many stars – so when the event returned, they had a much better understanding and appreciation for the sport.

When you factor in the proximity of hotels, restaurants and shopping (as well as other events, including the College World Series at nearby TD Ameritrade Park) to the CenturyLink Arena, it’s an ideal setting for the meet that decides the U.S. Olympic Team.

For these reasons (like I said, I’m a bit biased but not wrong), I’m ecstatic (and so is the rest of the city) to welcome everyone back for a third Olympic Trials in 2016. The event last summer was the best so far.

Having had a trial run in 2008, the Omaha organizing committee blew the doors off of last year’s meet in terms of showmanship, facility functionality and volunteer participation. I honestly don’t think it could have been better – and that was the general consensus of the athletes, coaches and family I spoke with during the event, many of whom were in town for Trials four years earlier.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/la ... and-Beyond
In a city too big, the event--no matter what it is--gets lost in the daily grind. In a city too small, you don't have the resources to make something so important run smoothly. In Omaha, you've got the space, the motivation, that special Heartland flare, and now, the experience of running The Big Show.

We can't take that away from them; it would be doing that city, and our sport, a huge injustice.

I'm not saying San Antonio couldn't put on a great Trials. I'm not saying St. Louis, Long Beach, Long Island or even Seattle wouldn't do a fantastic job. They're just not Omaha. We've given Omaha eight years--two Olympic Trials--to build that luster of history and energy around America's biggest swimming competition, and we should let them run with it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Code: Select all

[font=Georgia][size=18]Without Phelps U.S. swimming a poor draw[/size][/font]
[/url]
Chicago Tribune wrote:Without Phelps, swimming attendance depends almost entirely on families of athletes. Without Phelps, the greatest swimmer in history, it remains an Olympic-year sport to all but its own community of athletes, coaches, officials and parents.

"I'm a little disappointed," said Phelps' coach, Bob Bowman. "(Everyone said) this was the golden age of U.S. swimming."

"As we get closer to the Olympics, it's better. Missy, I think, will take over that role (as a major draw). She is just beginning it."

The 2012 Olympic trials, in a much bigger venue, had average attendance of 11,136 for 15 sessions. About half that average came from sales of all-session and four-day ticket packages. The all-session package cost $1,000 for deck-side seats and from $325 to $525 for other locations.

No wonder USA Swimming has chosen Omaha as host of the Olympic trials for the third straight time. Among the losing bidders for 2016 was Indianapolis, which proposed having the event in Lucas Oil Stadium.

There were 466 swimmers at these nationals and 1,848 at the Olympic trials, a difference that obviously brought many more family members to the trials. But 38 percent of the attendance at the 2012 trials came from Omaha, which means many had to be non-swimming-related fans.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ESPN ran with a few comments that Phelps made where he didn't say no about 2016 Olympics.  He didn't say anything remotely close to yes, but didn't shut it down with a firm no.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: 2016 U.S. Swim Trials

Post by iamjacobm »

Sounding like Phelps is comming out of retirement!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Phelps to come out of retirement, says USA Swimming
Yahoo Sports wrote:Phelps, who turns 29 in June, rejoined the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's drug testing program last November, a clear signal that he could be considering a return to the swimming pool in time for the Rio de Janeiro Games in 2016.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Phelps to come out of retirement, says USA Swimming
Yahoo Sports wrote:Phelps, who turns 29 in June, rejoined the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency's drug testing program last November, a clear signal that he could be considering a return to the swimming pool in time for the Rio de Janeiro Games in 2016.

Annnnnnnnd Swim Trial tickets will be gone in mere seconds.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

And the return of the Phelp's Diet:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:From the bodybuilding.com discussion forum:

'Michael Phelps Diet

Phelps Diet: 12,000 calories / day

Breakfast: (4,000 calories) Three fried egg sandwiches w/ cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayo. A five egg omelet, bowl of grits, three slices of french toast, three chocolate chip pancakes, two cups of coffee

Lunch: (4,000 calories) Pound of pasta w/ sauce, two large ham and cheese sandwiches w/ mayo on white bread, energy drinks

Dinner: (4,000 calories) Pound of pasta, 6-8 slices of pizza, energy drinks

Desert: Weight Gainer 4,000 with 40,000 grams of saturated fat

Everything is real but the desert'..

Here's the thread link:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthrea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... =109884181

I thought you might be interested in reading the commentary contained in the thread..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like the trials are going to be held from June 26-July 3, so the will overlap the CWS and home run derby.