River City Star

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm glad to see 'Sand in the City' coming back... very cool event ( http://www.eomaha.com/gallery/experiences/1/ )

Among some of my many dreams for Omaha... is the River City Star getting upgraded to a more authentic looking 'paddle wheel' boat. :)
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Cool. Maybe Muddy Mo's will increase the foot traffic between there and Rick's Boatyard Cafe.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I have a special connection to that boat. Back when it was still the Belle Of Brownville, my grandpa used to pilot it and he would even let me do it (now the river isn't even safe :P ). I would like to see more boats on the river.
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

I would also like to see more boats on the river. I think the Missouri seems like a great place for boating that is untapped by many area boaters. I know that in St. Louis the Mississippi is pretty well stocked with private marinas.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

like this at all hours of the day, instead of only on special occasions:

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

A floating restaurant! Think about how unique that would be. :)
DTO
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

DTO Luv wrote:A floating restaurant! Think about how unique that would be. :)
St. Louis has that too. There's a riverboat that is permanenty achored in front of the arch that houses a McDonalds. There use to be a Burger King one too right next to it, but a big flood about 10 years ago pulled it out of its anchor and it floated away :D
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Maybe something nicer than a BK or McD's. Like a big old looking river boat that's indoors but is open to the outside.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

River City Star making final voyage

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10504482
Christine Laue, OWH wrote:The River City Star will make its final voyage Thursday to a new home in Plattsmouth, where it will become a floating restaurant. Two new riverboats will replace it along Omaha’s riverfront.

The Star, previously called the Belle of Brownville, operated as an excursion boat for public and private cruises for more than 40 years .

Larry Richling, the boat’s most recent owner, said he decided to sell the boat because federal regulations for boats capable of carrying more than 300 passengers became too costly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The two smaller boats, each with a capacity of 149 passengers, fall in a different category with fewer regulations, he said. They will be more cost-effective to operate as an excursion business, Richling said.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Aw heck... we're moving in the wrong direction... here I was hoping Richling would upgrade to a real paddle boat like you'd see in St Louis/Memphis/etc...

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

River boats are susceptible to terrorism?
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:A floating restaurant! Think about how unique that would be.  :)
St. Louis has that too. There's a riverboat that is permanenty achored in front of the arch that houses a McDonalds. There use to be a Burger King one too right next to it, but a big flood about 10 years ago pulled it out of its anchor and it floated away :D

What's interesting about that Burger King is that it was moored right alongside the USS Inaugural, which was a sister ship to the USS Hazard up in Freedom Park. It was the great Flood of 1993 that pulled the Inaugural, Burger King, and a floating heliport down the river. The BK and heliport sank pretty quickly, but the Inaugural floated down the river, slammed into a bridge and ended up on the riverbank, where it sank several days later.

Sadly, the Inaugural is still laying in the river, partially exposed.

http://virtualglobetrotting.com/map/330 ... ?service=1

This makes the USS Hazard the absolute last Admirable Class Minesweeper left in the world that is still configured in it's original role. Also, this article is a long but interesting read on the Inaugural/BK/Heliport and it's sinking.

http://www.riverfronttimes.com/2007-03- ... inaugural/
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:River boats are susceptible to terrorism?
Yeah.....thats what I was thinking.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:River boats are susceptible to terrorism?
Blow up a boat underneath an interstate bridge, bring the bridge down....yes, there are concerns there.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time and caught the River City Star cruising down to Plattsmouth.  Ran and grabbed my camera for a quick photo...

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome catch Tuna!
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

Thats too bad, I have only been on it once and it was for a Pirate cruise.  Unfortunately it was the night of the crazy storm in late June so the boat was only half full.  I was hoping to get on it again when it was full but looks like I wont get that chance, Ill have to settle for the smaller boat.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The big boat was awesome because they would have bands play on the second floor, I hope they can do stuff like that with the new ones.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

My great grandpa was the pilot of that boat for many years when it was the Belle of Brownville. I even got to pilot it by myself once.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Blow up a boat underneath an interstate bridge, bring the bridge down....yes, there are concerns there.
Wouldn't it be alot easier to just blow up one of the bridge supports?

On the subject of the new riverboats... I believe I found Richling's ... I like that they have functional paddlewheels (I never cared much for the River City Star from an aesthetic standpoint).

Klamath Belle ( http://www.klamathbelle.com ... note operators message to his customers)

Desert Princess II, Lake Mead
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

As long as we're all using eOmaha to plan our next domestic terrorist strike... :shock:
Stable genius.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Emphasis more on "how fruitless is it to impose all of these added expenses on us in the name of our protection ... when the terrorists are going to find a way around it anyway".
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

True. I remember someone on here saying we have to plan our lives around that the craziest people might do.
DTO
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

But just look at those new riverboats folks.  I actually think it's going to be nicer having two of these authentic paddlers going up and down the river.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It will be cool to see another boat from the river if you're on the other boat.
DTO
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I first thought that losing the Star was all bad news too but I'm now liking the two boats.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:River City Star making final voyage

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10504482
Christine Laue, OWH wrote:The River City Star will make its final voyage Thursday to a new home in Plattsmouth, where it will become a floating restaurant. Two new riverboats will replace it along Omaha’s riverfront.

The Star, previously called the Belle of Brownville, operated as an excursion boat for public and private cruises for more than 40 years .

Larry Richling, the boat’s most recent owner, said he decided to sell the boat because federal regulations for boats capable of carrying more than 300 passengers became too costly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The two smaller boats, each with a capacity of 149 passengers, fall in a different category with fewer regulations, he said. They will be more cost-effective to operate as an excursion business, Richling said.

Then, and now:

Original River City Star begins return to Omaha
KETV wrote:Once it arrives at 151 Freedom Park Road, it will be permanently docked on the riverside and will be a “floating party and boarding barge,” said officials with the River City Star. Public and private cruises on the current River City Star Riverboat will continue.
Brad
City Council

Re: River City Star

Post by Brad »

Conflicting reports about the River City Star tonight, but either way they are broke down on a sand bar by Harras. People evacuated the boat on the sand bar with life preservers on.

May had hit the bank turning around, may have hit the ped bridge.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

At least 3 injured after River City Star riverboat strikes bank, forcing evacuation
Passengers aboard the River City Star riverboat were evacuated Friday night in Council Bluffs after the boat struck a bank, lost power and drifted across the Missouri River, police said.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Hopefully this is not the end of them. I think they've been on shaky ground in the past. The owner also owned the now closed Hollywood Diners, (and the still open candy store in the old market).

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Greg S wrote:Hopefully this is not the end of them. I think they've been on shaky ground in the past. The owner also owned the now closed Hollywood Diners, (and the still open candy store in the old market).

Greg
I agree, its already embarrassing that we don't have an scenic or excursion train out of Omaha, I wouldn't want to lose our only boat as well.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Does have anyone insight on whether the owners are still looking for a new docking/launch site? I've never been on it, but I think with all the focus on the Riverfront, a business like this would really benefit and offer supplement the parks project and science museum. The timing of kicking them out is really odd considering everything else going on.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Just saw the Auction Mill is handling the Dam Bar liquidation.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

Want to buy a riverboat? River City Star to be auctioned off this weekend
The more unique the business he’s selling, the more auctioneer Tom Millie enjoys it.

His company, the Auction Mill, found an owner for a local water park, which was moved to Florida. He’s also done convention centers, grocery stores, hotels and movie theaters.

The River City Star riverboat, which is docked on the Missouri River between downtown and Eppley Airfield, is a first for the Auction Mill. It’s a 145-passenger, 1986 Skipperliner (1940s replica) paddlewheel riverboat.

“It’s in the top five of the most unusual and coolest things we’ve ever sold,” Millie said.
Matt Kalcevich, director for parks, recreation and public property for the City of Omaha, said the lease wasn’t extended because the bar wasn’t in compliance with regulations governing a city property and the business also didn’t meet the intended use of the land, which was donated to the city by the Miller family.

“We just couldn’t let it be out of compliance,” Kalcevich said. “We were at a point of separation with the end of the lease.”

The city tried to help Cutchall find another site for its business, but the timeline to open would have been at least two years, Kavan said.

Kalcevich said the city has some ideas for how the property might be used by the city.

It could be rented out like one of the 10 pavilions across Omaha’s park system, it could be used for staff or it could replace the welcome center at Freedom Park that was flooded in 2011.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

River City Star and contents up for auction

The River City Star riverboat cruises closed for business this past fall, but you could own a piece of that Omaha history soon. The Auction Mill is working on liquidating items from the boat and bar including the riverboat itself. It's valued at about $375,00 and bidding starts at $125,000. Bidding Is open now and closes at 7 p.m. on April 30.

For details go to www.theauctionmill.com
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 2397224314

The River City Star is headed to TX.