New Hotel for Downtown KC (near Crossroads District)

Kansas City, Denver, Minneapolis, and Coast to Coast

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

New Hotel for Downtown KC (near Crossroads District)

Post by Greg S »

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/08/26/44 ... t-new.html

10 stories, 256 rooms, and not asking for tax incentives.

Greg
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

No tax incentives. Get your |expletive| together, Omaha.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

You can't compare the two haha KC is more than twice as big and has a very established CBD.. The reason Omaha is offering tax incentives is because it pushes a lot of companies over the edge when deciding where to build a new HQ. KC doesn't have this problem..
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I get some tax incentives.  One that I am really questioning is Crossroads.  They already got TIF, now they are asking for additional public financing.  If the current developer can't make it work with TIF look elsewhere, don't give in.

It seems like every major project anymore has TIF and the area is considered blighted.

They gave it to TD for the new HQ.  I could have seen using that to get them to go downtown, but not Old Mill.

Greg
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I'm honestly glad they didn't build that fugly seafoam green building downtown..  But its totally fine out in the 'burbs..
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

It doesn't even seem possible this is the first major hotel in DTKC since 1985, that is insane.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:I'm honestly glad they didn't build that fugly seafoam green building downtown..  But its totally fine out in the 'burbs..
It would have been a nice compliment to the UPC.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Just what we need.. our whole downtown area colored in sea foam green..  :barf:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:Just what we need.. our whole downtown area colored in sea foam green..  :barf:
It's not the worst exterior color out there... I think it would be neat to have something similar to the color scheme of the easternmost building on the HDR campus.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Yeah because that color is actually NICE! Is it really that hard to pick colors that look good?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:Yeah because that color is actually NICE! Is it really that hard to pick colors that look good?
What really makes it pop is the fact that it's 2-3 different shades of gold and it makes an otherwise boring shape really interesting.

Bad image, but it gets the point across.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Wow you really know how to turn me on huh.. side of a suburban office building.. mmm.. hahaha
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:Wow you really know how to turn me on huh.. side of a suburban office building.. mmm.. hahaha
You saucy boy, you...

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Damn.. maybe I just blew my cover.. now if I get caught staring at the side of the building people will know I'm a suburbanofficebuildingfiliac.. this isn't good :twisted:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:darn.. maybe I just blew my cover.. now if I get caught staring at the side of the building people will know I'm a suburbanofficebuildingfiliac.. this isn't good :twisted:
The first step is admitting you have a problem. The second step is feeding the monster.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

....*looks at the past few posts*.....

I need an adult  :(
No posts exist for this topic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MadMartin8 wrote:....*looks at the past few posts*.....

I need an adult  :(
This is what happens when I am allowed on the internets...

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

guitarguy wrote:darn.. maybe I just blew my cover.. now if I get caught staring at the side of the building people will know I'm a suburbanofficebuildingfiliac.. this isn't good :twisted:
WHAT WILL THE CHILDREN LOOK LIKE?!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

WILL SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN? .. I assume they will look.. boxy.. very boxy haha
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Axel wrote:

Like a Walmart Neighborhood Market. With glasses.
No posts exist for this topic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Axel wrote:

Like a Walmart Neighborhood Market. With glasses.
Somewhere between 3-5 stories tall.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Definitely nerdy too.. extra nerdy..
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Probably be living somewhere on West Dodge Road.

The Bride
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Wow! This thread took an interesting turn...lol
Greg S
City Council

Re: New Hotel for Downtown KC (near Crossroads District)

Post by Greg S »

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We drove by this hotel site over the weekend. Very impressive! And just a block from P&L.
jgomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jgomaha »

On a recent trip to KC, i met up with a friend of mine that's going to be the Director of Sales for the new Residence Inn & Courtyard property - she was able to give me a hard hat tour of the hotel.

Shot of the hotel from a parking lot at 16th & Wyandotte, caddy corner from the Kauffman
Shot of the hotel from a parking lot at 16th & Wyandotte, caddy corner from the Kauffman
12891756_10153286834350870_7903235093339686405_o.jpg (232.01 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
Looking north - the Residence Inn side of the hotel
Looking north - the Residence Inn side of the hotel
12719133_10153286834285870_4231637146185692779_o.jpg (119.7 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
view of the Sprint Center from one of the Courtyard rooms on the 10th floor
view of the Sprint Center from one of the Courtyard rooms on the 10th floor
12819355_10153286834040870_5592284282328635248_o.jpg (176.98 KiB) Viewed 1303 times
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Wow...that's way nice. I like how it blends in with the historic context of the city, yet has modern touches. I love Downtown Kansas City, Midtown, and the Plaza. Seriously, it is a beautiful urban set-up they got goin' on there.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.