Re: Cabela's - World's Foremost Outfitter

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Perhaps West Des Moines will be next? Will they ever build in Omaha? I keep thinking that they want to protect their own local market in central Nebraska... and think Omaha would siphon too much from their headquarters store (off of I-80... why would someone stop in Sidney... when they could stop in Omaha and see more than just a Cabela's store?).
Cabela's Announces New Hunting, Fishing and Outdoor Gear Store to Be Built in Utah

SIDNEY, Neb.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Aug. 17, 2004--Cabela's Incorporated (NYSE:CAB), the nation's largest direct marketer, and a leading specialty retailer, of hunting, fishing, camping and related outdoor merchandise, announced today that the Company is in negotiations to build a 150,000-square-foot store near Lehi, Utah, and plans to have it open for business by late 2005. Construction is scheduled to begin in the summer of 2004.

The store, to be built on a 50-acre site on Interstate 15 at the SR92 Alpine Highland Highway interchange in the Traverse Mountain Development near Thanksgiving Point, would be the Nebraska-based Company's thirteenth retail outlet, similar in size to the Cabela's retail showrooms in Owatonna, Minn. and Kansas City, Kan. The newest Cabela's store, a 175,000-square-foot facility in Wheeling, W.Va., opened August 12, 2004.

Dennis Highby, Cabela's President and Chief Executive Officer, commented, "As we previously stated, we have accelerated our retail store opening plan for fiscal 2005 and are thrilled to announce this new location in Lehi, Utah. This store represents another important step in our ongoing strategy to increase our retail presence across the country. When combined with our two Texas stores that are also scheduled to open next year, Utah will enable us to increase our retail square footage by 43%, bringing total square footage to 1,880,709 in 10 states."

The Utah store will be built in Cabela's style that evokes the feeling of the outdoors. Cabela's stores are known as top-notch educational and entertainment attractions, mixing a decor of museum-quality animal displays with colorful dioramas, huge aquariums stocked with native fishes and a centerpiece indoor mountain displaying trophy animals interacting in realistic re-creations of their natural habitats.

To operate the new store, Cabela's expects to employ as many as 400 people, who will join the Cabela's family of more than 8,000 employees. Employees are expected to come from Lehi and the surrounding area to join Cabela's family of staff members famous for their outdoor lifestyle and intimate knowledge of outdoor products.

"Our ability to effectively utilize our vast catalog and internet database to help choose locations with a large concentration of our consumers is one of our greatest competitive advantages in the marketplace," Mr. Highby continued. "The outdoorsmen and women of Utah are valued customers who embrace the Cabela's lifestyle with great enthusiasm, and therefore, we believe that Utah will be another success."

The Company stated that plans also call for the building of complementary businesses, such as motels, restaurants and other travel-related services, in conjunction with the new store.

Features which will greet visitors to the Cabela's store include:

-- A 30-foot-high mountain replica, the centerpiece of the store's open showroom, with running waterfalls and streams, a trout pond and trophy animals in re-creations of their distinct habitats. Similar mountains, each called Conservation Mountain, have been built in other Cabela's stores as monuments to wildlife and salutes to the sportsmen and women who support wildlife conservation.

-- A huge Cabela's-signature freshwater aquarium stocked with fish native to the area.

-- Museum-quality representations of many wild-game species, including an expansive diorama devoted to African game animals.

-- A deli-style restaurant will feature delicious wild-game sandwiches, as well as tamer fare.

-- World-class Gun Library, providing gun collectors and aficionados the opportunity to browse through a collection of examples of the gun-making art.

-- Full-service fly-fishing shop, much like a store within a store, with the products - and helpful, experienced staff - for all fly-casters from novice to expert.

-- Shooting gallery providing fun along with the opportunity to learn basic shooting skills in a safe environment.

-- Indoor archery range where archers can test and fine-tune their equipment.

-- Bargain Cave, featuring discount prices on returned and discontinued merchandise.

In addition to the Owatonna, Kansas City and Wheeling stores, Cabela's, which is headquartered in Sidney, Nebraska, also operates retail stores in Sidney and Kearney, Nebraska; East Grand Forks, Minnesota; Mitchell, South Dakota; Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin; Dundee, Michigan and Hamburg, Pa. Cabela's recently announced plans to open stores in Ft. Worth and Buda, Tex. in 2005.
MrTwister
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MrTwister »

Rumor has it that they are scouting locations in West Des Moines as we speak. They're looking at a location near the Highway 5 I35 intersection which is just south of Jordan Creek.

I doubt anything would happen for at least a year or two yet.
Brad
City Council

Cabela's - World's Foremost Outfitter

Post by Brad »

Cabela's will add Sidney office space

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2292661
Cabela's Inc. plans to make room for 210 more employees in its downtown Sidney, Neb., office building by renovating it and building an addition.

The company said Wednesday it will add 40,000 square feet to the 27,500-square-foot building, which now holds 60 employees. The addition will make room for 170. Renovation of the existing building, a former Alco retail store, will accommodate another 40.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Impressive, that's a nice little bit of job growth for Sidney.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No kidding. With a Sidney 2000 Population of 6282 that is like adding 21000 jobs in Omaha!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130827/M ... sidney-neb
Cabela's, the hunting and outdoor outfitter, said Tuesday it plans to expand its Sidney-based corporate offices with the addition of a new office building, located immediately west of its headquarters.

Construction of the building is scheduled to begin spring 2014 and be completed by early 2015. The new structure will complement — not replace — the retailer's existing corporate headquarters, which opened in 1998, company officials said.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Aren't they also donating 1 million towards a new school,along with the land to build it on?  Think I remember hearing that recently but may be wrong.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:Aren't they also donating 1 million towards a new school,along with the land to build it on?  Think I remember hearing that recently but may be wrong.
That was in the news yesterday, maybe two days ago?  It is sort of astonishing how a company can employ 2000 in a city and the city still have less than 7000 people.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Found more info, this is a HUGE project.

http://www.kotanow.com/story/23279397/c ... -of-sidney
Cabela's Outdoor Outfitter has unveiled a $34 million dollar 'Campus Expansion Plan' that will, over the next several years, expand the company's current corporate headquarters.

The new plans are expected to add at least 300 new jobs, with the possibility of many more to open up in the coming years.

Sidney City Manager Gary Person says the city already has several long-term projects underway to gear up for the expansion.

"We've addressed all major issues like water, waste water, landfill, long-term electrical needs," Person said. We have all those projects in place and operating and we've planned well for our future. We've planned for our expansion."
Wow.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:Aren't they also donating 1 million towards a new school,along with the land to build it on?  Think I remember hearing that recently but may be wrong.
Here is the news from the other day.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130827/N ... 29088/1697
The elementary school would be built on what is now farmland. The site is on the east edge of Sidney on a 480-acre tract where Cabela's is helping develop about 730 house lots to help alleviate a chronic housing shortage.

Cabela's owns most of the development site where the school, houses and a new medical center are planned. In addition to its $1 million pledge, Cabela's plans to donate the land where the school would be built if the bond issue passes, said Wes Remmer, a company spokesman.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I thought about applying for a job out at their corporate offices a couple years ago. But apparently the housing situation isn't the best, and I would potentially be living/commuting to/from Colorado.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Could be worse.. you could be commuting from Wyoming.. hahaha
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

jessep28 wrote:I thought about applying for a job out at their corporate offices a couple years ago. But apparently the housing situation isn't the best, and I would potentially be living/commuting to/from Colorado.
Yeah, I've read in a couple articles that major builders see it as a risk so Cabela's has had to largely take it upon themselves to develop houses. I think this article (or the one with about the donation for a school) talks about how Cabela's is developing a 730ish home subdivision on the city's east side to help with the housing issue.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Cabela's will add Sidney office space

Post by iamjacobm »

Good read about Cabela's sticking with Sidney and what they are doing to help the housing crunch.

http://www.omaha.com/money/even-during- ... 70735.html
Consequently, she said, the city has plenty of income-restricted housing, built with the help of government tax credits, and a supply of new high-end custom homes. But there’s a shortage of mid-range homes that midcareer professionals and their families look to buy. The 72-unit, market-rate apartment complex that Cabela’s opened last year is now more than 80 percent leased, even with rents that would be considered competitive in Omaha, starting at $790 a month for a one-bedroom unit.

“No other retailer would do that,” said Joyelle Kennedy, Cabela’s senior corporate properties manager, calling it a sign of being invested in Sidney.
More housing is set for construction this year, with real estate subsidiary Cabela’s Ventures developing The Ranch, a master-planned community that could eventually include 720 homes, Person said.

That investment — plus Cabela’s headquarters expansion near Interstate 80, set to open in January — is the latest sign Cabela’s is here to stay. Those projects come on top of the $9 million renovation, in 2013, of the company’s original downtown Sidney office building.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Everything is not rosy for Cabala's In Sydney right now. No word on the exact numbers but it sounds like they did some restructuring and layoffs. Hopefully it is just positioning for the future because they seem to be growing.

If the 4% is accurate mentioned in this story and the 2000 employees mentioned in other earlier articles is still accurate then this impacted around 80 people loosing jobs.

http://www.omaha.com/money/cabela-s-res ... 13743.html
SIDNEY, Neb. — Cabela’s confirmed Thursday that it has completed a corporate office restructure and reduction in force affecting approximately four percent of corporate outfitters.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Did I read this correctly? They laid off the mayor? !
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Bad news, you lose your job. Good news, you get to move away from Sidney.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Linkin5 wrote:Bad news, you lose your job. Good news, you get to move away from Sidney.
:lol:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Cabela's about to get ConAgraed?
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

iamjacobm wrote:Cabela's about to get ConAgraed?
In what way?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

http://www.omaha.com/money/activist-inv ... 1ee99.html

Activist investor announces large stake in Cabela's, calling for changes

The investor said the Cabela's shares are "significantly undervalued." To "unlock" the value, investor Elliott Associates said in a government filing Wednesday, it wants to talk to Cabela's board about a number of options. Those options could include the sale of the company. Other "strategic alternatives" exist, New York-based Elliott said.
This way
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Activist investor
While I like wall street and really like what its done for my 401K, I do hate the "Activist Investors" that wasn't to up-root employees and destroy communities.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Should we say goodbye to Cabela's now, or later?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Maybe Omaha would get lucky and they would be forced to move here...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I read elsewhere that this "investor" has 11% of the stock. Hopefull that is small enough that he does not have a big enough stick.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

nebugeater wrote:I read elsewhere that this "investor" has 11% of the stock. Hopefull that is small enough that he does not have a big enough stick.
Jana has 7.2% of ConAgra's and was able to get two board members replaced by people they backed.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I read elsewhere that this "investor" has 11% of the stock. Hopefull that is small enough that he does not have a big enough stick.
Jana has 7.2% of ConAgra's and was able to get two board members replaced by people they backed.

For some reason I was thinking he had a much larger % than that.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha World-Herald wrote: ABOUT ELLIOTT ASSOCIATES
Headquarters: New York
Founder: Paul Singer

Strategy: “I’m almost always assuming or forcing myself to assume that the world is managed poorly and that the experts — including the experts that I hire that give me advice — don’t really know what’s going on, and I have to take all of their advice with grains and grains of salt,” Singer said in a 2013 interview with Institutional Investor magazine.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
Omaha World-Herald wrote: ABOUT ELLIOTT ASSOCIATES
Headquarters: New York
Founder: Paul Singer

Strategy: “I’m almost always assuming or forcing myself to assume that the world is managed poorly and that the experts — including the experts that I hire that give me advice — don’t really know what’s going on, and I have to take all of their advice with grains and grains of salt,” Singer said in a 2013 interview with Institutional Investor magazine.

Maybe he should reflect his stratigy on his own management style.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote: Maybe he should reflect his stratigy on his own management style.
He comes of as a really really horrible person in that quote...

And after reading that, I would be willing to bet, Cabella's is gone...
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

The main reason I'm hopeful is that the CEO and I'm assuming the board are all Nebraskans. It was one thing with ConAgra where Connolly was living in Chicago and didn't want to move before the Jana deal. We'll see though.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Sunshine12
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Sunshine12 »

There is no way Cabelas is going to leave Sidney. Who wants to move to a big noisy smelley city where you have to battle the traffic, crime and God knows what else. People come to Cabelas to get good jobs and to live in a smaller community. Sidney is booming and no one, not Elliott especially is going to stop that. Cabelas is strongly committed and deeply entrenched in Sidney. I cannot even understand why ConAgra would relocate to a city like Chicago. In a recent study, Chicago is the second city in the US that people want to get AWAY from.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Downtown Chicago is actually nicer than New York... just saying.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Sunshine12 wrote:There is no way Cabelas is going to leave Sidney. Who wants to move to a big noisy smelley city where you have to battle the traffic, crime and God knows what else. People come to Cabelas to get good jobs and to live in a smaller community. Sidney is booming and no one, not Elliott especially is going to stop that. Cabelas is strongly committed and deeply entrenched in Sidney. I cannot even understand why ConAgra would relocate to a city like Chicago. In a recent study, Chicago is the second city in the US that people want to get AWAY from.
Activist investors could care less about that stuff. Their game is all about boosting the stock price of the companies they invest in. Uprooting or selling a company in a "podunk" western Nebraska town is fine as long as the value of their shares goes up. These investors are modern day corporate raiders like what was popular in the 80's.

I'm Libertarian leaning and understand that sacrifices are inevitable in the name of capitalism, but it just pains me to see these investors go in and destroy communities just to make a buck.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bass Pro Shops considering offer to buy Cabela's, according to report

http://www.omaha.com/money/bass-pro-sho ... f48b3.html
Bass Pro Shops is considering an offer to buy Cabela's, according to a Reuters news service report.
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

Brad wrote:Bass Pro Shops considering offer to buy Cabela's, according to report

Bass Pro Shops is considering an offer to buy Cabela's, according to a Reuters news service report.
NO NO NO NO.....growing up in Kearney, Cabela's was the prime outdoor's spot to go. If Bass purchases Cabela's, I think it should only be select stores, but keep the Cabela's name in smaller towns. Maybe it doesn't belong in the bigger markets, like Omaha, but Kearney and Sidney like this small town company. I have always preferred Cabela's over the others, but then again, that is because this was the only store I knew growing up!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

swinquest wrote:
Brad wrote:Bass Pro Shops considering offer to buy Cabela's, according to report

NO NO NO NO.....growing up in Kearney, Cabela's was the prime outdoor's spot to go. If Bass purchases Cabela's, I think it should only be select stores, but keep the Cabela's name in smaller towns. Maybe it doesn't belong in the bigger markets, like Omaha, but Kearney and Sidney like this small town company. I have always preferred Cabela's over the others, but then again, that is because this was the only store I knew growing up!!
If it happens it will be all or nothing I am sure.

Interested in your comment above, What would drive the thought that Cabela's doesn't belong in larger markets?
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

nebugeater wrote:
swinquest wrote:

Interested in your comment above, What would drive the thought that Cabela's doesn't belong in larger markets?
I think it is the name recognition...people I have talked to have preferred Bass because of that. If there are no outdoor stores currently in the area, then that may be where Cabela's may strive, but coming in to a market where there is already a similar store, I think that there may be a bit of a struggle.

Just my own point of view. I don't know all of the financials and how they fare in each market.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

swinquest wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
swinquest wrote:

I think it is the name recognition...people I have talked to have preferred Bass because of that. If there are no outdoor stores currently in the area, then that may be where Cabela's may strive, but coming in to a market where there is already a similar store, I think that there may be a bit of a struggle.

Just my own point of view. I don't know all of the financials and how they fare in each market.
Pamida tried to make a living out of having stores in locations primarily where there were not Walmarts, worked for a while until it didn't.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Bass pro has good boating. OK firearms. Walmart level archery. No hiking stuff that is any good. By buying Cabelas and using them for their shooting sports base, Bass could build up a nation wide access point for a sport that is increasing. You could also go up against REI in the hiking area.