2011 Omaha Nighthawks

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

jessep28 wrote:
Brad wrote:Nighthawks loose in overtime to end the season.
Unless the UFL can get their finances sorted out by next year, this very well could have been the last Nighthawks game.
Any other tenants lined up for the park?
riceweb
Library Board

Post by riceweb »

HskrFanMike wrote:Was that a paid attendance? Although I saw a lot of people wandering around downtown, the parking lots seemed awfully empty considering there were both hockey and football going on.
I went to both the hockey and football games and I believe the 10k attendance was pretty close to the # of fans in the seats. In fact, lots of people were just walking in without tickets, so I'm not sure they even had the most accurate attendance number.

Total attendance for Nighthawks + Mavericks was around 16k. That's enough to make the North Downtown area busy, but not anywhere close to as busy as a day of the CWS.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They are talking about a move to spring now.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

iamjacobm wrote:They are talking about a move to spring now.

That actually makes some since.  

Could be a problem for the Nighthawks though as TDA park will be used for Baseball starting in March for CU.  I would think it would be difficult to move back and forth from baseball to football esp in that time of the year for the condition of the turf.  

Maybe play at UNO until they tear up the football field???
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I personally would prefer it to run from August to sometime in October, like it was supposed to this year.  That is the only dead period for sports in Omaha and the Nighthawks were filling it nicely.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

The problem for August is that a lot of the players are still in NFL camps then.

Greg
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

I would see spring being a huge problem in Omaha with not only CU baseball but having football on the field a few months before CWS can't be good for the grass...
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Great plan. Let's make the league more obscure than it already was, and let's move football season out of traditional football season.

It's just not going to work, they should have started bigger, more teams in B and C market cities. Ask risky as that would have been.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

S33 wrote:
Great plan. Let's make the league more obscure than it already was, and let's move football season out of traditional football season.

It's just not going to work, they should have started bigger, more teams in B and C market cities. Ask risky as that would have been.
I actually think this would be their best decision yet.  Make it during offseason for NFL and college when people are starving to watch anything associated with football.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Spring will never work in Omaha.  Al Caniglia Field could only hold about 15k, and doesn't have the amenities other than a JumboTron.  The NCAA won't allow football in TD Ameritrade Park in the spring.

I think the original plan:  mid-late September to Thanksgiving with an 8 team league, playing for 7 weeks until Thanksgiving is a good plan.  The UFL needs a partnership with the NFL, and the UFL rosters can be used as a development arm for players cut during training camp and as a place to keep players in shape for mid-season injuries.

The current management of the UFL has little credibility left. The schedule hijinks alienated fans and players alike.  The UFL needs someone to step in and take it over that can restore confidence in the product.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

HskrFanMike wrote:Spring will never work in Omaha.  Al Caniglia Field could only hold about 15k, and doesn't have the amenities other than a JumboTron.  The NCAA won't allow football in TD Ameritrade Park in the spring.

I think the original plan:  mid-late September to Thanksgiving with an 8 team league, playing for 7 weeks until Thanksgiving is a good plan.  The UFL needs a partnership with the NFL, and the UFL rosters can be used as a development arm for players cut during training camp and as a place to keep players in shape for mid-season injuries.

The current management of the UFL has little credibility left. The schedule hijinks alienated fans and players alike.  The UFL needs someone to step in and take it over that can restore confidence in the product.
This.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The trouble is that the NFL would be better off starting their own developmental league from scratch than taking on the 100+ million the UFL is in the red.  The NFDL(or whatever) would be a smarter business choice for the league it seems.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

iamjacobm wrote:The trouble is that the NFL would be better off starting their own developmental league from scratch than taking on the 100+ million the UFL is in the red.  The NFDL(or whatever) would be a smarter business choice for the league it seems.
The NFL wouldn't assume the investors losses.  That's the founders problem.

But there are assets that the UFL owns which would make a takeover viable.  For example, the Nighthawks installed artificial turf at the Kroc Center and all the equipment. No point in reinventing the wheel.  And the Nighthawks still have some brand value locally.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Joe Mogolia (spelling) - to Coastal Carolina?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Joe Moglia in as new football coach at CCU
Coastal Carolina University have finally put the rumors surrounding who will be the new leader of the university's football team to rest Tuesday morning.

WMBF News Sports Director Jason Belk confirmed with a source close to the university's program earlier Tuesday morning that Joe Moglia, former coach of the United Football League's Omaha Nighthawks, will take over for David Bennett.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Crouch just said he is done with football...again.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:Crouch just said he is done with football...again.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Mike'l Severe said last week on USC that he has heard that next fall season is a go, and they would be switching the season to a spring schedule from there on out starting in 2013.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Linkin5 wrote:Mike'l Severe said last week on USC that he has heard that next fall season is a go, and they would be switching the season to a spring schedule from there on out starting in 2013.
If that is in fact what happens I think Omaha will say good by to UFL football.  I see no way that spring football will ever happen in TDA wit the CWS and Creighton playing.  I have no idea where else they would go other than to a smaller crowd at Werner park if that was even a posibility.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

nebugeater wrote: I have no idea where else they would go other than to a smaller crowd at Werner park if that was even a posibility.
Well, if that does happen in the spring of 2013 and field sharing becomes an issue, I know of a little football field at UNO which isn't getting used.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

almighty_tuna wrote:
nebugeater wrote: I have no idea where else they would go other than to a smaller crowd at Werner park if that was even a posibility.
Well, if that does happen in the spring of 2013 and field sharing becomes an issue, I know of a little football field at UNO which isn't getting used.
I thought about that but hasn't UNO stated that they will be taking that out?  ( not sure on that but that is what I remember)  Besides, it might get a little old for the interns that have to sit in the end zone and hold up the poster boards to keep people abreast of score and down and distance.   :mrgreen:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:I thought about that but hasn't UNO stated that they will be taking that out?  ( not sure on that but that is what I remember)  Besides, it might get a little old for the interns that have to sit in the end zone and hold up the poster boards to keep people abreast of score and down and distance.   :mrgreen:
If that stadium went away where would their brand new soccer team play.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Coyote wrote:
nebugeater wrote:I thought about that but hasn't UNO stated that they will be taking that out?  ( not sure on that but that is what I remember)  Besides, it might get a little old for the interns that have to sit in the end zone and hold up the poster boards to keep people abreast of score and down and distance.   :mrgreen:
If that stadium went away where would their brand new soccer team play.
Does their soccer team play at Al Caniglia?  I thought they played over by Ak Sar Ben.  Other options are Werner Park and Tranquility for them.

Greg
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

nebugeater wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:
I thought about that but hasn't UNO stated that they will be taking that out?  ( not sure on that but that is what I remember)  Besides, it might get a little old for the interns that have to sit in the end zone and hold up the poster boards to keep people abreast of score and down and distance.   :mrgreen:
Yeah, I think it's supposed to become a parking garage eventually.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Wow, for some reason my Omaha Nighthawk photos on Flickr have gotten a huge number of views in the last 24 hours.  I guess someone is interested in history.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nebugeater wrote:Wow, for some reason my Omaha Nighthawk photos on Flickr have gotten a huge number of views in the last 24 hours.  I guess someone is interested in history.
Strange.  I sold a Nighthawks Pano this week too...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Brad wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Wow, for some reason my Omaha Nighthawk photos on Flickr have gotten a huge number of views in the last 24 hours.  I guess someone is interested in history.
Strange.  I sold a Nighthawks Pano this week too...
I still have my two season tickets from season 1 at the BLatt.  Each all in one sheet, never to be torn apart.  I took the entire sheet to each game and had the individual scanned.  At some point I had thought about having one framed.  Wounder if they will be worth anything some day.
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

If they are wont be for years down the road. I got season tickets for all three seasons and a jersey  framed just to keep em nice.  I am sure they will a few people collecting it in the future
nebugeater
City Council

Re:

Post by nebugeater »

Just looked at my Flikr account and in the last 48 Hr there has been a LOT of views of the Nighthawk photos again for some reason.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Re:

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:

Just looked at my Flikr account and in the last 48 Hr there has been a LOT of views of the Nighthawk photos again for some reason.
Around the time of your quoted comment from Aug/2013, isn't that about when the "Omaha Mammoths" were announced?

Hmmm :;): ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Around the time of your quoted comment from Aug/2013, isn't that about when the "Omaha Mammoths" were announced?

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I believe so.......
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

nebugeater wrote:
Omaha Cowboy wrote:
nebugeater wrote:

Ciao..LiO...Peace
I believe so.......
Maybe we're on to something here, lol :yes: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!