RFD-TV / Rural Media Group

News and releases from metro area businesses

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

RFD-TV / Rural Media Group

Post by nebugeater »

In today's OWH there is a story about the owner of RFD-TV buying Trigger and Bullet, The Horse and Dog of TV famed Roy Rogers.  Goes on to say that RFD-TV will be building a new Headquarters in Omaha and it implies it will be in DT Omaha rather than the One Valmont Plaza area they are at now.

Anyone know any more about this or it's location?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100715/N ... s-to-omaha

Patrick Gottsch pulled the trigger.

The Elkhorn-area businessman snatched up a piece of Americana — the late Trigger, longtime horse of legendary movie cowboy Roy Rogers — with a winning bid at Christie's auction house in New York City on Wednesday.

Gottsch, who founded and runs a rural-themed TV network with national reach, plans to display the horse at RFD-TV's corporate headquarters in Omaha, said spokeswoman Stephanie Waters.

The network has a production studio in Nashville, Tenn., but is run out of One Valmont Plaza, near 144th Street and West Dodge Road. The company plans to build a new corporate headquarters here, though a location hasn't yet been announced
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I'm going to change what I previously said.

Apparently they signed a 5 year lease in the same building they're in now, just 4 floor up (more space). However, the owner recently decided he wanted to open up a "museum" type area and have a new building built.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Looks like they do not have a chosen site yet.

RFD-TV plans new headquarters
Erin Grace WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Now Gottsch plans to display both Trigger and Bullet to the public in a new downtown Omaha headquarters for RFD-TV, his 10-year-old rural-themed cable network, probably within the next year. Gottsch has been talking to city officials about a site but hasn't finalized anything.

Gottsch has spoken with Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle about the new headquarters and is in talks with the City Planning Department. He said he envisions the company being a visiting spot for tourists, given the acquisitions of Trigger and Bullet and memorabilia he would like to add. “Now we're going to have a museum wing,” he said.

Ron Gerard, spokesman for Suttle, called Gottsch's decision to relocate “a fantastic addition to downtown.” “We will work with him to see what's possible,” Gerard said.
Coyote
City Council

Rural Media Group

Post by Coyote »

Rodeo a sign of Rural Media Group's growth; firm considering building Omaha headquarters
Barbara Soderlin: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The fast-growing Rural Media Group is now leasing a 23,000-square-foot space at 95th Street and West Dodge Road, a change from its former One Valmont Plaza location, and is still considering building its own headquarters in Omaha. The RFD-TV broadcaster now employs 130, up from 100 in February, and will hire 25 to 30 people to help produce a new rodeo event.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Rural Media Group

Post by RNcyanide »

So that's what Stothert was talking about!!

:;):
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Well.....at least it's something.
No posts exist for this topic
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I couldn't imagine it would be anything downtown. Maybe something near where they already are.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

RNcyanide wrote:I couldn't imagine it would be anything downtown. Maybe something near where they already are.

It's probably going to be in an existing building. I can't imagine them using much space.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

RNcyanide wrote:I couldn't imagine it would be anything downtown. Maybe something near where they already are.
They would have been a candidate for the Burlington Station though I doubt they could have ponied up the $20 million that KETV is.  Pat Gottsch is a very creative and entrepreneurial guy.  I knew him in the 80s when he was doing satellite dish installations.  How many people would have wanted to buy Trigger?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

and is still considering building its own headquarters in Omaha
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:
and is still considering building its own headquarters in Omaha

Well, color me curious then. I still can't imagine this being a large building...and hey, it might be at that new 192nd development thing.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Any new corporate building that keeps jobs in Omaha is Large to me.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:Any new corporate building that keeps jobs in Omaha is Large to me.
I'm talking in the literal sense, not the metaphorical.

Yes, a HQ is incredibly important. I just don't see this building being huge. That's all.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK, so 130 employees at the present time, 30 more to come with a new event, planning on growth for the future, lets say 200 employees by the next few years. Calculate friends... how many square feet would they need, how many floors...

What is available DT - the Landmark, Qwest, the Towers... there was an article in the OWH that told what buildings had what available, but I couldn't find it...

If you had a Media outlet, where would you build? KETV chose DT...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:OK, so 130 employees at the present time, 30 more to come with a new event, planning on growth for the future, lets say 200 employees by the next few years. Calculate friends... how many square feet would they need, how many floors...

What is available DT - the Landmark, Qwest, the Towers... there was an article in the OWH that told what buildings had what available, but I couldn't find it...

The Towers?

The Bride
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Coyote wrote:OK, so 130 employees at the present time, 30 more to come with a new event, planning on growth for the future, lets say 200 employees by the next few years. Calculate friends... how many square feet would they need, how many floors...

200 employees. What employers in Omaha have a similar number?

And I really bet this ends up out west.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MadMartin8 wrote:

200 employees. What employers in Omaha have a similar number?

And I really bet this ends up out west.
Me too. It's called RURAL Media Group.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:The Towers?
OK, Central Park Plaza I and II
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:The Towers?
OK, Central Park Plaza I and II
You know, I assumed that at first, but then I thought of the First National Buildings.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I really hope they bring their production studios to Omaha.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Doesn't Gavilon have 200?

Edit: Just kidding. Their new headquarters can hold 560.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Axel wrote:Doesn't Gavilon have 200?

Edit: Just kidding. Their new headquarters can hold 560.
They could always rent out Gavilon's old spot on the second floor of Con Agra 11.

The Bride
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Dont look for the RURAL media group to be anywhere near downtown.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well if their trend continues..., from One Valmont, to Westroads, that places them close to AkSarBen Village...
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I know it's not rural but what about the present KETV studios once KETV vacates the building?
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Wasn't there talk of the RFD headquarters a long time ago when they bought.... Mister Ed was it?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Axel wrote:Wasn't there talk of the RFD headquarters a long time ago when they bought.... Mister Ed was it?
YEs there was, Brad was talking to me about that the other day - he pointed out an earlier thread about it...
OmahaRoyals
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OmahaRoyals »

Axel wrote:Wasn't there talk of the RFD headquarters a long time ago when they bought.... Mister Ed was it?
Trigger, Roy Rogers' horse.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Here was the original RFD - TV thread from a few years ago (we thought about merging them , but then decided against...):

RFD - TV and Rural Media Group
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Here was the original RFD - TV thread from a few years ago (we thought about merging them , but then decided against...):

RFD - TV and Rural Media Group
That's the link back to this thread.  I Merged them together several days ago.  I didn't know you wanted them separate.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Oops. no. merging is fine... Didn't know you had did that...
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: RFD-TV / Rural Media Group

Post by iamjacobm »

Interesting battle brewing in Philly.

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/2 ... FD-TV.html
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Adios.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/2 ... /14352515/
Rural Media Group, the parent company of the popular RFD-TV cable network, will sublease studio and office space on Music Row, and relocate a bulk of its key executives from Nebraska.

Rural Media Group owns RFD-TV, Rural TV, FamilyNet and Rural Radio on SiriusXM. The company will be subleasing space at 49 Music Square West from Scripps Networks. The space was vacated by GAC.

The move of executives from Omaha, Neb. will take several months and signal the relocation of an unspecified number of full-time production jobs for both the television and radio networks. The move is expected to mean production will begin in Nashville no later than the first quarter of 2015, the company said.

“This option came along at the perfect time for our company as we have been looking for the right place to consolidate our operations and expand production for original programming,” Patrick Gottsch, founder of Rural Media Group Inc., in a statement.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re:

Post by iamjacobm »

cdub wrote:Dont look for the RURAL media group to be anywhere near downtown.
Anywhere near our downtown at least. Just downtown Nashville.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

They would have been an interesting occupant of the old Burlington Station. I'm glad that KETV is moving there but Pat Gotsch is a bit flashier than Channel 7. Whatever. Loss to Omaha to see him move it.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Re: Re:

Post by cdub »

iamjacobm wrote:
Anywhere near our downtown at least.  Just downtown Nashville.
Nashville has a rural cache. :)
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Apparently we were getting too urban for them.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Re:

Post by bigredmed »

cdub wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:
Anywhere near our downtown at least.  Just downtown Nashville.
Nashville has a rural cache.  :)
I read that they wanted to do original programming. If you are rural oriented and you have a choice of Omaha or Nashville, something tells me that there is not much of a decision there.
Tons of underemployed musicians and tech guys vs Slowdown. They will be more able to rapidly expand live music and will be able to go country easier.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Well in the article today it was said that 20 jobs and the "official" HQ is staying here. Said it isn't out of the question to move back to Omaha in the future and that other cities have been trying to lure them as well.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Looks like RFD is taking everything out of Nashville and Omaha and moving to Ft. Worth. I feel like the Midwest dodged the recession but while the rest of the country is now currently booming, the Midwest is in financial trouble.