Grand Island Rumor Mill

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We noticed that a new CVS pharmacy is also going up in Norfolk, essentially across the street from  Walgreens.  Is that also the case in Grand Island?
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:The new Grand Island mall redevelopment is finally starting to take shape with Bed Bath and Beyond as the anchor store. Any one know of a projected open date?

I drove by CVS Pharmacy yesterday and that looks like its almost ready to open. What a nice change of property on that corner!
That did not take that long at all. Great to hear
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

nativeomahan wrote:We noticed that a new CVS pharmacy is also going up in Norfolk, essentially across the street from  Walgreens.  Is that also the case in Grand Island?
Yeah, there is a Walgreens right across the street.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:The new Grand Island mall redevelopment is finally starting to take shape with Bed Bath and Beyond as the anchor store. Any one know of a projected open date?

I drove by CVS Pharmacy yesterday and that looks like its almost ready to open. What a nice change of property on that corner!
I don't drive by there too often, so it really seemed to fly by! From the looks of it, all that is left is some parking lot to be poured and merchandise to come in. I would guess it will be opening by mid September.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Heard from a friend that her daughter got hired on there and was told to expect a late August opening.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

I was in town saturday and cvs looks great, panda's construction on the other hand is going snail pace[/u]
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I was driving along Old Potash and saw a new sign that caught my eye.."Carnivore Meats". Must be a new local meat block.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

gisbuxfan wrote:
bbtran72 wrote:

I don't drive by there too often, so it really seemed to fly by! From the looks of it, all that is left is some parking lot to be poured and merchandise to come in. I would guess it will be opening by mid September.
Nice guess! Sign says Sept 15th
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Well, all these new places are opening up now! I've been to Panda Express a couple of times and it's always good, and Bed Bath and Beyond is a great addition too! I also saw that Dress Barn is open for business and Shoe Carnival probably won't be too far off. I think these will be great additions to the retail market in GI headed into the holiday season.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I was just in GI, and took note of the various new stores and restaurants.  What I can't figure out is why the town has no Target.  Norfolk has one.  Kearney has one.  Papillion has one.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

You'd have to ask Target that. They were rumored to be interested in the US34 & South Locust corner years ago, and then WalMart made a pre-emptive strike and built TWO Super Walmarts in GI at the same time, covering that same corner as well as the NW mall area.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

The only place i can see them(target) building at is between Webb Rd. & 281 & North Front St, it is actually big enough to fit a super target .  But gisbuxfan and candleshoe knows the town better than i do. Btw candleshoe, come down to hastings next year around labor day weekend if you want to shoot cars(vintage) for a change.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbtran72
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Btw candleshoe, come down to hastings next year around labor day weekend if you want to shoot cars(vintage) for a change.
Race MPH Park. Cool! I had actually planned on being at the Melon Roast classic car show in Hastings that weekend, but I committed to something at the State Fair that morning and by the time I got out it was too late to get our car down there in time for registration.

The new "Toy-Bird" by candleshoe, on Flickr

Looking forward to it next year, tho'...
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

Candleshoe wrote:
Btw candleshoe, come down to hastings next year around labor day weekend if you want to shoot cars(vintage) for a change.
Race MPH Park. Cool! I had actually planned on being at the Melon Roast classic car show in Hastings that weekend, but I committed to something at the State Fair that morning and by the time I got out it was too late to get our car down there in time for registration.

The new "Toy-Bird" by candleshoe, on Flickr

Looking forward to it next year, tho'...
Nice T-bird, i didn't make it to melon roast this year, got too busy.
Suit Up
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

badlander wrote:Panda Express looking to come to Grand Island.   Also, Pet Smart may still be showing up as well.   Not sure how that will turn out with Pet Sense just opening this weekend.
Men's Warehouse to build to just east of Bed Bath and Beyond.   Petco or Petsmart to take the last unfinished space to the west of Shoe Carnival.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

badlander wrote:
badlander wrote:Panda Express looking to come to Grand Island.   Also, Pet Smart may still be showing up as well.   Not sure how that will turn out with Pet Sense just opening this weekend.
Men's Warehouse to build to just east of Bed Bath and Beyond.   Petco or Petsmart to take the last unfinished space to the west of Shoe Carnival.
Men's Warehouse would be great! However, I am skeptical of the pet store being that Pet Sense opened up on the northwest corner of the development already.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:
badlander wrote:
Men's Warehouse would be great! However, I am skeptical of the pet store being that Pet Sense opened up on the northwest corner of the development already.
Pet sense is a not even anywhere close to petsmart or petco.  I went in there once to check it out and see if can be my next pet store for supplies and was not impress.
Suit Up
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Pet Sense has said in some of their press releases that they target smaller markets. They make all the sense in the world for a town like
Columbus, where they've been for at least a couple of years. They do OK in GI, based on a lack of serious competition, but their location is about as sucky as you you'll find... if you can find it.

I'd say Petsense rivals Sam & Louies in GI for bad locations.  :yes:
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:
badlander wrote:
Pet sense is a not even anywhere close to petsmart or petco.  I went in there once to check it out and see if can be my next pet store for supplies and was not impress.
I agree it's a bit sparse. From what I understand though, it's owned by PetSmart.

What's your source on Men's Warehouse?
wehavetoliveit
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wehavetoliveit »

Heard a rumor there was going to be a Village Inn in GI mall area.  Didn't say the exact location but I was thinking in the southwest corner of Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot?? next to 281.  Heard it from a local construction guy.  We will see
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Petco or Petsmart to take the last unfinished space to the west of Shoe Carnival.
Confirming that it's "Petco" that will be going in to that center.
Heard a rumor there was going to be a Village Inn in GI mall area.  Didn't say the exact location but I was thinking in the southwest corner of Bed Bath and Beyond parking lot?? next to 281.  Heard it from a local construction guy.  We will see
I'd been hearing all along that there would be a sit down restaurant planned for the out lot, but this is the first that I've actually heard a name mentioned.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:
Petco or Petsmart to take the last unfinished space to the west of Shoe Carnival.
I'd been hearing all along that there would be a sit down restaurant planned for the out lot, but this is the first that I've actually heard a name mentioned.
I'm guessing Petco will give PetSense a run for their money. Petco is a much more complete pet store. I suspect only one of them will survive the year. Do you know if there are plans to spruce up the facade on the east side of the building where Little Caesars, South Beach  tanning, etc are located? I would guess that south end of the mall would have the best access and the greatest traffic.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:
Candleshoe wrote:
I'm guessing Petco will give PetSense a run for their money. Petco is a much more complete pet store. I suspect only one of them will survive the year. Do you know if there are plans to spruce up the facade on the east side of the building where Little Caesars, South Beach  tanning, etc are located? I would guess that south end of the mall would have the best access and the greatest traffic.
Pretty sure they will, like i have posted earlier.  I was really disappointed in petsense  and i can't wait till petco open.
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I'll second the confirmation of PetCo. Looks like they are getting ready to put the fourth entrance in to the west of Shoe Carnival.
bbtran72
Home Owners Association

Post by bbtran72 »

gisbuxfan wrote:I'll second the confirmation of PetCo. Looks like they are getting ready to put the fourth entrance in to the west of Shoe Carnival.
Wonder when it is going to open, i am really excited now. :D
Suit Up
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

bbtran72 wrote:
gisbuxfan wrote:I'll second the confirmation of PetCo. Looks like they are getting ready to put the fourth entrance in to the west of Shoe Carnival.
Wonder when it is going to open, i am really excited now. :D
OK, so I wasn't expecting an expansion to the building at State and Hwy 281. I'm not sure if PetCo is just needing more space or if they plan on getting both PetCo and Men's Warehouse on the front end there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Is there a famous steak house in GI that lets its meat (blue) mold, then power washed, as a specialty?
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Coyote wrote:Is there a famous steak house in GI that lets its meat (blue) mold, then power washed, as a specialty?
not that I have heard of.. as for steak houses, we primarily have chains with the exception of Uncle Ed's. That sounds disgusting though.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Is there a famous steak house in GI that lets its meat (blue) mold, then power washed, as a specialty?
EEEEeewwwwww! :( {gag!}
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

badlander wrote:
Men's Warehouse employees in Omaha just confirmed with me their expansion to Grand Island.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Any idea what the fresh dirt pile across from the Viaero Store on N Webb is all about?
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

I have no idea. If I had to guess, I'd say something medical. That seems to be the trend over on Webb.
badlander
New to the Neighborhood

Post by badlander »

Candleshoe wrote:Any idea what the fresh dirt pile across from the Viaero Store on N Webb is all about?
Grand Island Dermatology moving to new office space.   Seems strange since the building they are in on Diers seems perfectly fine.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Grandma Max's at the Bosselman Travel Center will become a hybrid Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant... the first in Nebraska of the semi National chain based out of PA. Right around 60 locations from Florida to Colorado.

Quaker Steak doesn't have a 24 hour menu, so the restaurant will still offer the Grandma Max's breakfast menu.

Looking to attract car and bike clubs for rallys.

Future locations mentioned will be Omaha and Des Moines with Lincoln and North Platte markets further down the road. (so to speak...)

No word on how the facade might change or if that might be a bit of a hybrid as well.

Work begins in January with a late Spring opening targeted. Restaurant will remain open during the remodel.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:Grandma Max's at the Bosselman Travel Center will become a hybrid Quaker Steak and Lube restaurant... the first in Nebraska of the semi National chain based out of PA. Right around 60 locations from Florida to Colorado.

Quaker Steak doesn't have a 24 hour menu, so the restaurant will still offer the Grandma Max's breakfast menu.

Looking to attract car and bike clubs for rallys.

Future locations mentioned will be Omaha and Des Moines with Lincoln and North Platte markets further down the road. (so to speak...)

No word on how the facade might change or if that might be a bit of a hybrid as well.

Work begins in January with a late Spring opening targeted. Restaurant will remain open during the remodel.
I read about this other day from Steve White (NTV News). That seemed like a strange partnership to me, but then again, I have never even seen one of these establishments.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Re: Grand Island Rumor Mill

Post by gisbuxfan »

Looks like more of the northwest corner or the GI Mall is coming together next to Pet Sense. Drove by it tonight and was impressed by all the work they've done.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

After seeing some traffic counters out recently, my curiosity has been piqued. Any word on if the widening of Capital Avenue is still on? Originally I believe it was schedules for this year.
Live everyday to its fullest.. err.. just make sure your coffee cup is full. You should be good then.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

Last I heard it was a green light for four lanes to Broadwell. The BN overpass was built to allow four lanes under it as well, but I haven't heard any plans that far east yet.
gisbuxfan
Library Board

Post by gisbuxfan »

Candleshoe wrote:Last I heard it was a green light for four lanes to Broadwell. The BN overpass was built to allow four lanes under it as well, but I haven't heard any plans that far east yet.
The Independent had an article this morning that released the road construction for 2014, Capital Ave was not on the list.
In other Grand Island street projects for 2014:
-- The two narrow bridges on Blaine Street near the entrance of L.E. Ray Park will be replaced with a box culvert on the north bridge and oversized drainage pipe on the south bridge, for $250,000.
-- 4.5 miles of city streets will be resurfaced at an estimated cost of $3.4 million.
-- Second Street drainage improvements will continue at a cost of $1.5 million.
-- Faidley Avenue will be extended west to North Road at a cost of $650,000.
http://www.theindependent.com/news/loca ... f887a.html

I am excited about the Faidley expansion to North Rd. This may help with the congestion at 13th and North Rd. Although that intersection really needs a roundabout or a traffic light.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

It's on the 6 year plan, issued last year. An archived Independent story said the project year is planned for 2015.

https://agendamanagement.blob.core.wind ... -120_1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;