Park Ave Living

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Park Ave Living

Post by Coyote »

Besides the Urban Village projects, there are a few other interesting apartment units along Park Ave:

Brad
City Council

Re: Park Ave Living

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:Besides the Urban Village projects, there are a few other interesting apartment units along Park Ave:
Awesome!  thanks of taking these!!!

Is this the building that burnt down a couple years ago?  Hope so, because I was worried they were going to tear it down...
Coyote wrote:Image
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I don't know, but it is the same as the 2 pictures that precede it. I love that building, I was wondering what the interior was like.

They are the Pacific Gables Rowhouses, behind  Hansom Place on Pacific St.
Last edited by Coyote on Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Probably the highest potential area in the entire city.  Look at that building stock!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Probably the highest potential area in the entire city.  Look at that building stock!
I have some more pics that I'll post later...
6EQUJ5
New to the Neighborhood

Post by 6EQUJ5 »

My concubine lived in the building in pic 6. It's called The Normandy and was built in 1898.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few more recent remodels (Just south of the Urban Living):

SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Brad, you might be referring to this particular building?

http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/java/wg ... 1236170000
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Yep, that looks like it.   Although, I though it was more decorative?  May be not.  Been a while since I drove by it.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That building in the first photo is pretty newly updated, if you look at that building on streetview you can see just how bad it was.  One thing I have always wondered is if there was some great brick hiding behind that siding.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:That building in the first photo is pretty newly updated, if you look at that building on streetview you can see just how bad it was.  One thing I have always wondered is if there was some great brick hiding behind that siding.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:That building in the first photo is pretty newly updated, if you look at that building on streetview you can see just how bad it was.  One thing I have always wondered is if there was some great brick hiding behind that siding.
Those are definitely wood-framed buildings with original wood clapboard siding, except for the one down at the east end.  They would look a lot better with a more authentic Victorian color scheme though.

I am beyond excited to see what's going on in this area, especially since I live there.  I'm really interested to see what UV does to the building on Pacific, but I'm not holding my breath that it will be repaired.  It has pretty extensive fire damage, and has sat open to the weather for several years now.  It has some nice style to it, but I wouldn't be surprised if restoration would be cost-prohibitive.  UV has bought a fair amount of empty lots and condemmed properties that it's demolished, so I could see it going that route too.

If the current momentum continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see new construction in this area within 5 years.  Probably just multi-unit structures to start with, though; single-family home values aren't up to replacement cost yet.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I assume this is close enough to Park Ave to apply.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140206/N ... 09122/1694
Real estate developer Jerry Reimer plans to renovate nine rundown, vacant rowhouses at 33rd and Marcy Streets, in the Leavenworth neighborhood, and offer them for sale at about $215,000 a unit.

Reimer plans the same complete rehabilitations that, as a principal in Urban Village, he has used to redevelop hundreds of apartments in old buildings in the area, which is west of downtown Omaha and a few blocks south of Midtown Crossing.

He also plans to renovate a duplex at 3101 Marcy St. and a 12-unit apartment building at 3070 Mason St.

The Omaha Planning Board on Wednesday voted to recommend that the City Council approve $220,000 in tax-increment financing for the $3.1 million project.

The board also gave a thumbs-up Wednesday to another developer’s plan to build townhomes in the area. Steven Held and Little Marcy Redevelopment LLC propose to construct three townhouses at 3036 Marcy St. on vacant land where dilapidated buildings once stood.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I was going to open a new thread for this, but you beat me to it. It's really exciting to see the momentum in this area, and i doesn't look like Reimer of Urban Village is slowing down anytime soon. He has several new LLCs under which he's working under in the area near his apartments, only now he's branching out more into single-family construction. I've noticed that he's been buying up quite a few empty lots and condemned homes in the area south of Leavenworth between 30th and 33rd st, of which the article describes. I think it may be a challenge to move from renting redeveloped properties in an early-stage revitalization to selling them, as the level of confidence in the neighborhood to commit to owning a property needs to be a lot higher. I really think this area is on that track, though, and once it reaches a critical mass, I can really see it taking off.

On another note, I do hope him and other developers getting into the area preserve enough of the historic aspects of the architecture to keep it an attractive and timeless neighborhood. Too much of what made the houses there look so trashy was "updating" in past decades (e.g., the asbestos siding I'm stripping from our house as I restore the wood siding below). Of course, most of it has been slumlords slapping cheap vinyl siding on in an effort to spend as little as physically possible to keep their properties off the building inspector's naughty list. Out of the commercial developers on the area, Reimer does do some of the highest-quality work. I can't think of many who would go to the time and expense of restoring wood siding (as he's done on several of his houses on Marcy), but the finished product is so much better than what the cheap flippers do, there's no comparison.

I'm hoping to get our foursquare finished so we can find a nice 1890-1910 Victorian to restore next. Hopefully I'll be done with our current house soon enough to still find one cheap and unmolested enough.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

BTW, I'm pretty sure the building in the last photo of Coyote's first post is the one the developer in the article talked about being redone in the 1980's. In my opinion, it was a pretty poor job; the white vinyl windows really clash with the rest of the structure. I don't know what the originals looked like, but I'm sure they were far more elegant.
SaveOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by SaveOmaha »

Looks like the pace is picking up. 3012 Mason, 3016 Mason, and the burned out row house at 3115 Pacific were demolished. An apartment building at 3070 Mason and a brick apartment building at 528 S. 29th are planned for rehab.
Last edited by SaveOmaha on Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

OmahaJosh618 wrote:Looks like the pace is picking up for Jerry Reimer under the name Midtown Properties. He recently demolished 3012 Mason, 3016 Mason, and the burned out row house on 3115 Pacific. He is rehabbing a 1960's-era apartment building at 3070 Mason and a circa 1919 brick apartment building at 528 S. 29th. I took a peek inside 528 S. 29th this evening. Really nice woodwork inside and looks like it's in fair condition. Maybe he will keep some of the historic elements this time since the building isn't condemned/severely damaged.
Yeah, it would be nice to see more of the original millwork kept if it's still there. Too often, it's cheaper to just scrap it and install new. The new interiors in his buildings are nice, but don't compare to what was built 100 years ago.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Courtyard (Urban Village Development)

The Henry (Urban Village Development)

The Mason (Urban Village Development)

The Cottage (Urban Village Development)

The Bungalow (Urban Village Development)

The Brownstones (Urban Village Development)

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I ride or drive by these places several times a week, and it's cool to see the work progressing. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

If these rowhouses sell, I think that's going to be a strong indicator that this neighborhood can support even more redevelopment.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, how did I miss those photos. I really like "The Cottage" and "The Bungalow".

The brownstones are cool too!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:Wow, how did I miss those photos.  I really like "The Cottage" and "The Bungalow".
There are hundreds of houses like that in Omaha hidden behind asbestos and aluminum siding. My bike commute takes me through the neighborhood south of Leavenworth and east of Saddle Creek, which has a very solid stock of 1920's bungalows. Most of them are relatively well-kepth, but with a little exterior restoration, that neighborhood would look like ones in Denver, Portland, or KC where they go for $200k-$300k.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We have some one our street, but they never that awesome. They are always painted a boring color and most have their porches walled off, which I hate. We have a brick house that had a walled off porch. It looked a million times better when I tore the front wall off!

I really like that they took the time to paint 3 different colors.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Brad wrote:We have some one our street, but they never that awesome.  They are always painted a boring color and most have their porches walled off, which I hate.  We have a brick house that had a walled off porch.  It looked a million times better when I tore the front wall off!

I really like that they took the time to paint 3 different colors.
I totally agree with you. The walls on our front porch have their days numbered.

As I remove the 1960s cement-fiber shingles and restore our original wood siding, I'm actually using four colors: Body, Trim, Accent, and another for window sashes. When it was built, it probably only had three colors (body, trim, and window sashes), but I don't value my labor enough, so I like adding a little extra detail.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

These Park Ave apartments will be getting a $50,000 remodeled:

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Wow. Those look really cool.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Reimer Properties LLC is asking for TIF to renovate 4 buildings, project cost $3m.

3070 Mason St (1960) 12 unit apartments

3101 Marcy St (1931) duplex

3216 Marcy St (1913) four two story row units / townhomes

811 S. 33rd St (1910) five two story row units / Townhomes
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/money/more-apartme ... 235e6.html
Yet another project, called the State, is a complete rehabilitation of a 1919 structure at 528 S. 29th St. into 21 apartments.

Owner Midtown Properties is affiliated with Urban Village Development, which has converted numerous other old buildings in the area to contemporary housing.
When Midtown bought the property last year, fewer than half of the 20 units were occupied and it had a history of housing code violations.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I noticed work going on there a little while back. With Spaces to anchor these blocks east of I-480 between St. Mary's and Harney, I would imagine that there will be quite a few more renovations and new builds in the future.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like Harvest bought the building that used to have a coin laundry at Harris and Park Ave, they have it completely gutted and actually have walls going up with news windows.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like Harvest bought the building that used to have a coin laundry at Harris and Park Ave, they have it completely gutted and actually have walls going up with news windows.
Turns out Harvest Development will have their offices here, along with KLS Electric it looks like. Really putting roots down in the Park Ave area, I am sure they have big plans.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Harvest Development II LLC, 1127 Park Ave. (a block south of Pacific, east side), circa 1920. Looks like they bought it in April.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:Looks like Harvest bought the building that used to have a coin laundry at Harris and Park Ave, they have it completely gutted and actually have walls going up with news windows.
I live just a block away, and this has been pretty exciting. The fact that this building was bought while still a functioning business and given the full treatment says they are serious about investing in the area. I have been excited to see other developers getting involved in what UV really got started in the area.

The building looks fantastic now, too. I like the dark windows against the old brick, and the old-school neon signs are an excellent touch. It's downright hipster!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Midtown redevelopment may be limiting affordable options

http://www.ketv.com/news/midtown-redeve ... nt#!cxZrpx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KETV wrote:The area's a hot spot for redevelopment and new development, many times coming with much higher rent.

"We've had a lot of redevelopment, a lot of people coming in and fixing houses that needed to be," said Sharon West, vice president of the Park East Neighborhood Association.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote:Midtown redevelopment may be limiting affordable options

http://www.ketv.com/news/midtown-redeve ... nt#!cxZrpx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KETV wrote:The area's a hot spot for redevelopment and new development, many times coming with much higher rent.

"We've had a lot of redevelopment, a lot of people coming in and fixing houses that needed to be," said Sharon West, vice president of the Park East Neighborhood Association.
Really thought provoking. It is a shame that affordable housing options are being depleted when that segment of the population continues to grow.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Louie wrote:
Brad wrote:Midtown redevelopment may be limiting affordable options

Really thought provoking. It is a shame that affordable housing options are being depleted when that segment of the population continues to grow.
It is an important part of the issue, but the status quo doesn't provide sustainable affordable housing either. The current state of the lowest-cost housing is typically run-down buildings with code violations that eventually become condemned by the city, then abandoned by the owners, leaving the city with the demolition cost. The end result of that is an expense to the city, no tax revenue on the property, and no housing at all.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Seth wrote:
It is an important part of the issue, but the status quo doesn't provide sustainable affordable housing either.  The current state of the lowest-cost housing is typically run-down buildings with code violations that eventually become condemned by the city, then abandoned by the owners, leaving the city with the demolition cost.  The end result of that is an expense to the city, no tax revenue on the property, and no housing at all.
Very good point you bring up Seth.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We are witnessing the acceleration of a trend in American cities, and that trend is alive and taking root in Omaha. People with money are quickly realizing that they can have high quality housing in central areas of the city, close to entertainment districts, established parks, and business centers. Why would they decide to live at 210th and plowed ground when they can live better, healthier and less stressful lives in already established neighborhoods? And as this trend accelerates it will inevitably push out much lower cost housing, and the occupants thereof, unless city officials act to require a certain percentage of new housing be built for people in fixed incomes. I'm not at all certain that Omaha is attaching such requirements to many, or any, of the larger new inner city housing projects being built.
mistergutierrez
Home Owners Association

Post by mistergutierrez »

If you take a look at European cities such Paris, housing for low income people is located in the neighborhoods in the outskirts. That way they keep city centers atractive for familes and other tennants.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

mistergutierrez wrote:If you take a look at European cities such Paris, housing for low income people is located in the neighborhoods in the outskirts. That way they keep city centers atractive for familes and other tennants.
To me that statement just doesn't come out right.... But I must be one of those low income people.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Uffda wrote:
mistergutierrez wrote:If you take a look at European cities such Paris, housing for low income people is located in the neighborhoods in the outskirts. That way they keep city centers atractive for familes and other tennants.
To me that statement just doesn't come out right.... But I must be one of those low income people.
I think it would be more accurate to say that real estate prices are higher in the central cities in Europe because they never forced the status quo to desire suburban homes on the edge of town after WWII.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert