Burlington Station redevelopment by KETV

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: Burlington Station redevelopment by KETV

Post by Brad »

I think the station looks way bigger without the deck.

From earlier today:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:I think the station looks way bigger without the deck.
Cool shots! I have to agree. Once they wash that face and get new windows, this building will be a very iconic shot of Omaha. Still like the other advantage shot you've had before...
I have to wonder though, in that vast rock desert, is there any chance of landscaping? Greenery?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote: Cool shots! I have to agree. Once they wash that face and get new windows, this building will be a very iconic shot of Omaha. Still like the other advantage shot you've had before...
Yeah, this was a quick couple snaps on my way in to the gallery. I will probably catch the east sides tomorrow morning on my way in to the galley again... Unfortunately, according to the Sun Calculator, this north side won't get morning light until March.
Coyote wrote:I have to wonder though, in that vast rock desert, is there any chance of landscaping? Greenery?
Doubt it, its still a working "rail yard" Maintenance of way works use those two tracks down the middle quite often. UP uses it for specials a couple times a year. Also Valmont has used some of the tracks in the past year and the circus uses it annually. The Durham uses it as overflow parking for big events too.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://restoreomaha.org/programming/
Friday, February 28, 2014
Restore Omaha Opening Reception and Tour
7-10 p.m.
The Durham Museum
801 S 10th St, Omaha, NE

Come meet the Restore Omaha Conference sponsors, volunteers, speakers and special guests while enjoying food and drinks inside The Durham and ongoing tours of KETV’s restoration of their new home at The Burlington Station. Dress is casual and wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes for the tour. A shuttle will take attendees to and from The Burlington Station. Parking is available at The Durham Museum. Cost is $25. Member Price is $20.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Come meet the Restore Omaha Conference sponsors, volunteers, speakers and special guests while enjoying food and drinks inside The Durham and ongoing tours of KETV’s restoration of their new home at The Burlington Station. Dress is casual and wear comfortable, closed-toe shoes for the tour. A shuttle will take attendees to and from The Burlington Station. Parking is available at The Durham Museum. Cost is $25. Member Price is $20.

I wonder if they are going to allow cameras in or check cameras and phones at the door.

I have worked so many different angles to try to get in here to take some photos and nothing has worked out.... By far the hardest place I have ever tried to get in to. I just wish I had a better camera when we toured it back in 2008.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looks like they changed their mind since last Friday about public tours of the Burlington until 2015....

From their website link above....

"Come meet the Restore Omaha Conference sponsors, volunteers, speakers and special guests while enjoying food and drinks inside the Durham Museum. At 8 p.m. attendees will see a 15 minute presentation in the Durham’s auditorium showing a behind-the-scenes look at the restoration of the Burlington Station. Unfortunately, for the safety of our guests, we will not be able to offer tours of the Burlington station Feb. 28 BUT, closer to the completion of the Burlington in 2015, KETV has offered all Restore Omaha Friday night attendees a special “Sneak Peek” tour of the building before it opens to the public. Cost for the Friday night reception is $25. Member Price is $20."
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

GetUrban wrote:Looks like they changed their mind since last Friday about public tours of the Burlington until 2015....

From their website link above....

"Come meet the Restore Omaha Conference sponsors, volunteers, speakers and special guests while enjoying food and drinks inside the Durham Museum. At 8 p.m. attendees will see a 15 minute presentation in the Durham’s auditorium showing a behind-the-scenes look at the restoration of the Burlington Station. Unfortunately, for the safety of our guests, we will not be able to offer tours of the Burlington station Feb. 28 BUT, closer to the completion of the Burlington in 2015, KETV has offered all Restore Omaha Friday night attendees a special “Sneak Peek” tour of the building before it opens to the public. Cost for the Friday night reception is $25. Member Price is $20."
Bummer.
PrismA3D
New to the Neighborhood

Post by PrismA3D »

Here is a link to some photos of the Burlington interior taken in 2002 and 2005 along with some Historic photos of the interior for comparison. I have also included a couple of conceptual renderings showing some potential, not to be confused with any current designs.Blog on PrismA3d.com
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool! Thanks for sharing!

Eomaha got a tour back in 2008, it was awesome to get in there!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

PrismA3D wrote:Here is a link to some photos of the Burlington interior taken in 2002 and 2005 along with some Historic photos of the interior for comparison. I have also included a couple of conceptual renderings showing some potential, not to be confused with any current designs.Blog on PrismA3d.com
Thanks for the photos!

I love the tilework and light fixtures in the original lower floor photo.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Last Saturday another Really Late Amtrak #6 rolls past the Burlington Station.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Last Saturday another Really Late Amtrak #6 rolls past the Burlington Station.

One of my favorite shots of yours Brad! Love it. It looks like a trophy postcard shot!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Thanks Coyote!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Get a room.
15-17, 26, 32
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:Last Saturday another Really Late Amtrak #6 rolls past the Burlington Station.

One of my favorite shots of yours Brad! Love it. It looks like a trophy postcard shot!
Probably one of the only shots you'll see of the Burlington with a porta potty on the roof. :;):

Just kidding, great shot!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure what they are going to do with this area on the west end...

Photo Update:

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well from the artist rendering there will be an entrance there with little blue umbrellas.
15-17, 26, 32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here is a link to an update video from KETV:
http://www.ketv.com/news/ketv-on-track- ... n/24779036
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Cool! Thanks for posting that!

Glad to see they are opening up the middle again! This is soooo much better than the Condo plan!
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

I wonder what's going to be on the main floor, since they say the studio will be on the track level...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Garrett wrote:I wonder what's going to be on the main floor, since they say the studio will be on the track level...
This clip has more detail. A lot of the footage is rehashed from prior stories, but it explains that the main level will be used for office space, creative services, etc.

http://www.ketv.com/news/crews-making-p ... n/24740420" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

And a large community room.
Coyote
City Council

Re:

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:I agree with a lot of people that think it would make sense to be a intermodal passenger station.  Last night they said on the news the the current greyhound station was purchased by the county and would be made in to yet another parking lot.  Trailways (I think that is what its called) has said they want to join forces with Amtrak in Omaha.  If they can get with Metro, things could be go.
Omaha's bus depot could be moving to new location
Amtrak confirmed it’s in talks with Burlington Trailways to relocate its depot there, so the rails can connect with the open road.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Maybe they can tear down the old Greyhound building on 16th and Jackson and redevelop that property. That building has been an eyesore for a long time. The only thing hurting the chances of development is having the Douglas County Corrections just to the southwest.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

► Show Spoiler
skinzfan23 wrote:Maybe they can tear down the old Greyhound building on 16th and Jackson and redevelop that property. That building has been an eyesore for a long time. The only thing hurting the chances of development is having the Douglas County Corrections just to the southwest.
I think it would be a great place for a dog park.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Also a nice sunset above the Burlington Station tonight as well!

choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

Douglas County Historical Society at Fort Omaha MCC presents:

Second Sunday Series: History of Burlington Station: March 12 @ 2:00 pm - 3:15 pm

KETV general manager will be giving the presentation.

http://www.douglascohistory.org/event/m ... nd-sunday/
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Rare Omaha CityLab pub.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/07/ ... de/565952/
For nearly 40 years, Omaha’s historic Burlington Train Station collected dust. After Amtrak moved its passenger terminal into a small, forgettable structure right outside the historic building in 1974, pigeon feathers covered the mosaic floor of the grand hall and graffiti artists used its walls to practice their skills. During the winter, many of Omaha’s homeless population sought refuge in the abandoned building just blocks south of downtown. Meanwhile, on the other side of its tracks, Union Station, which stopped serving passengers in 1971, was swiftly converted into a history museum.

Burlington Station was on the verge of being unsalvageable until suddenly, in 2015, the station was brought back to life. After two years and $22 million of renovations, local ABC-affiliate KETV moved in. The station has been broadcasting the evening news, live, from Burlington Station ever since.
obvious2677
Library Board

Post by obvious2677 »

iamjacobm wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:14 pm Rare Omaha CityLab pub.

https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/07/ ... de/565952/
For nearly 40 years, Omaha’s historic Burlington Train Station collected dust. After Amtrak moved its passenger terminal into a small, forgettable structure right outside the historic building in 1974, pigeon feathers covered the mosaic floor of the grand hall and graffiti artists used its walls to practice their skills. During the winter, many of Omaha’s homeless population sought refuge in the abandoned building just blocks south of downtown. Meanwhile, on the other side of its tracks, Union Station, which stopped serving passengers in 1971, was swiftly converted into a history museum.

Burlington Station was on the verge of being unsalvageable until suddenly, in 2015, the station was brought back to life. After two years and $22 million of renovations, local ABC-affiliate KETV moved in. The station has been broadcasting the evening news, live, from Burlington Station ever since.
KETV has a desk o wieners.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Renovating and reviving Omaha's historic Burlington Station

Burlington Station provided access to passenger train travel from 1898 to to 1974, when Amtrak took control of train service and eventually moved into a smaller building. The building fell into disrepair as train travel diminished, but an Omaha group in 1980 wanted to revive the iconic building — it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. That group wanted to move the Amtrak location out of the "Am-shack," and back into Burlington Station.

They proposed renovating the station to include an area for shopping, and a passenger route from Omaha to Kansas City. These renovations never came to fruition until 2013, when Hearst Television purchased the building and remodeled it into the home of KETV NewsWatch 7. Earlier renovations came in 1930, updating the facility to compete with the construction of Union Station (now the Durham Museum), and again in 1954.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

#Amshack
15-17, 26, 32
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I don't get what this article is supposed to be. It's certainly not a current development. From the video, it looks like something from the archives.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

BRoss wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:36 pm
I don't get what this article is supposed to be. It's certainly not a current development. From the video, it looks like something from the archives.
KETV just brought this video from the archives for some reason. I thought it was interesting. I like the local pro rail group that was trying to get a KC-Omaha route back then and revive Burlington station.
Athomsfere
Planning Board

Post by Athomsfere »

ita wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:58 pm
BRoss wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:36 pm
KETV just brought this video from the archives for some reason. I thought it was interesting. I like the local pro rail group that was trying to get a KC-Omaha route back then and revive Burlington station.
Would have been a great move.

It wouldn't have changed anything most likely. But if some of this $$ for rail starts actually going places, or smarter laws for transit are passed it would be awesome to have one function deco station for the metro.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Agreed! I think walking through a beautiful train station before boarding a train to Chicago, Denver, KC, or Minneapolis would be a great start to a vacation. 😊
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I know logistically it probably wouldn't have been possible but when the Union Station was being redone that would have been a perfect time and place to include an Amtrak station.
First 50 years in Omaha, last 50 in Detroit. Yes, I'm that crazy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

On this day in 2013: KETV announces the purchase of Burlington Station
The former train station has undergone massive changes since KETV NewsWatch 7 announced the purchase 10 years ago

On June 5, 2013, KETV NewsWatch 7 announced the plans to move their news operations into the train station located in Omaha's Little Italy. The building had been sitting vacant for quite some time, paving the way for massive renovations throughout the station. The history of Burlington Station continues to grow as the home of Omaha's News Leader.
Dusty
Human Relations

Post by Dusty »

Are there any current videos showing the remodel? What are they doing with the rest of it outside of a production studio?

I remember going 20+ years ago when they leased it out as a haunted house attraction. Well, it was more Medieval reenactment with dragon in basement. (Would love to see an attraction like this in Omaha now)

But even in disrepair the vaulted ceilings and columns were pretty stunning. The basement felt like it went on forever.
Last edited by Dusty on Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Dusty wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:29 am Are there any current videos showing the remodel? What are they doing with the rest of it outside of a production studio?
The rest of it are their offices. As far as I know, they use the entire building.