Old Union Pacific Headquarters Lot

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: 1416 Dodge - Lanoha Highrise

Post by guitarguy »

Are the drawings the same as previously posted here? Gosh this forum is so far ahead of KETV..
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:Are the drawings the same as previously posted here? Gosh this forum is so far ahead of KETV..
I believe it was the same rendering Garrett posted on Nov 17th:

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Just saw the 30 second article. They didn't say much that isn't already posted, but there are drawings out by TACK Architects.
Yeah, nothing the agenda didn't say. I still think it is important for projects like this to have a lot of pub.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The very wide range of possibilities offered up in the agenda.

10,000-40,000 SF retail and/or between 5-8 floors of parking(550-880 stalls) and/or between 10-15 floors of office space(220,000-330,000 SF) and/or between 3-5 floors of condos(24 to 40 units).
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I see the scalability as only a plus as far as the best road for getting something built. Yes I know if it's not 400 or more then it's not good enough... Screw that if it's half the size it's half the size but it's still beats a whole one block dirty pit in the CBD. And now I'm crossing my fingers and hope the stars line up for it all.
15-17, 26, 32
Turtle9160
Home Owners Association

Post by Turtle9160 »

Are those the renderings from the news? I havent seen the new ones, it looks odd but in a good way. Indeed lets hope this happens can fill in that funky looking dirt lot
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Turtle9160 wrote:Are those the renderings from the news? I havent seen the new ones, it looks odd but in a good way. Indeed lets hope this happens can fill in that funky looking dirt lot
I found it on the TACKarchitects Facebook page.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Would be a very nice addition to downtown. Even better if they can put a well known company inside the building.
matthewgoett
New to the Neighborhood

Post by matthewgoett »

Those are cool renderings of the building. I do not like the hyatt garage in the Market and do not really think this sitting on top of a garage is going to be attractive either. :(
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

I think it's way too early to worry about that. The ones I posted appear to be very early conceptual drawings.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

I'm really stoked about this. I love the design of this project, it looks like nothing else that we have downtown right now. Plus, this might be the beginning of more cutting edge design to come in the future. :clap:
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

matthewgoett wrote:Those are cool renderings of the building. I do not like the hyatt garage in the Market and do not really think this sitting on top of a garage is going to be attractive either. :(
It was mentioned in one of the articles that the design would hide the garage with steel plates(?). There are lots of examples in other cities of parking garages being much better hidden than the Hyatt was.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Of minimal note. I noticed the other day that he for sale signs were no liger on the property.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The story didn't provide any more details, just that the site is officially sold and TIF has been transferred from the Wall Street project. I wonder when we will hear some more about the plans for the site.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

skinzfan23 wrote:The story didn't provide any more details, just that the site is officially sold and TIF has been transferred from the Wall Street project.  I wonder when we will hear some more about the plans for the site.
I don't think he'd pony up 2-3 million if he wasnt confident. I'm assuming he financed it and if so the bank is on board. It's very good news.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well, one step closer.
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

We'll start off thinking this will be 25 stories, but ultimately get a 5 story building after the plans have been slashed. This is Omaha development and this is a supposedly big project we're talking about afterall.
No posts exist for this topic
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

MadMartin8 wrote:We'll start off thinking this will be 25 stories, but ultimately get a 5 story building after the plans have been slashed. This is Omaha development and this is a supposedly big project we're talking about afterall.
Dammit, one of these days we'll get what we want...
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MadMartin8 wrote:We'll start off thinking this will be 25 stories, but ultimately get a 5 story building after the plans have been slashed. This is Omaha development and this is a supposedly big project we're talking about afterall.
I'm really hoping they make it taller than 250'. We have a lot of buildings downtown that are pretty much the same height, give or take 10'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ta ... s_in_Omaha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I'm staying optomistic on this one after the vacancy statistics released this year. We have reached the point where we need large amamounts of new space if we are to keep the momentum going downtown.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

When I think of 'highrise'... I think minimum 300 feet. The First National Center building is close at 295. Downtown Des Moines has a whopping 8 300+ footers, to our measly 3 1/2.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Rumor has it one of the driving forces behind this project moving forward is UP's need for additional space. UP has recently leased space at CPP for several IT teams as they've already outgrown their building, but see this purely as a stopgap solution. They have been adamant that they'd prefer space in a building directly adjacent, so that employees could walk for meetings/ use the cafeteria/gym, etc without having to go outside (not possible between UP and CPP). I wouldn't be surpised if they've already negociated (or signed a letter of intent) to occupy at least part of the office space planned for this tower.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Ben wrote:Rumor has it one of the driving forces behind this project moving forward is UP's need for additional space.  UP has recently leased space at CPP for several IT teams as they've already outgrown their building, but see this  purely as a stopgap solution.  They have been adamant that they'd prefer space in a building directly adjacent, so that employees could walk for meetings/ use the cafeteria/gym, etc without having to go outside (not possible between UP and CPP).  I wouldn't be surpised if they've already negociated (or signed a letter of intent) to occupy at least part of the office space planned for this tower.
Nice to hear, would you guess skywalk or tunnel?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote: Nice to hear, would you guess skywalk or tunnel?
Isn't there already a tunnel out the north side of the UP building?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Stargazer wrote:When I think of 'highrise'... I think minimum 300 feet.   The First National Center building is close at 295.  Downtown Des Moines has a whopping 8 300+ footers, to our measly 3 1/2.
When I was in Des Moines two weekends ago it surprised me. None of those buildings look like they are that tall, and it floored me when I looked it up.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Went through Des Moines yesterday. Have never been that impressed with the skyline. Very compact. Omaha's is much more spread out. A few more highrises is all we need. Des Moines has no height outside of downtown.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Stargazer wrote:When I think of 'highrise'... I think minimum 300 feet.   The First National Center building is close at 295.  Downtown Des Moines has a whopping 8 300+ footers, to our measly 3 1/2.
The problem we have here is that downtown in on the eastern edge of the city instead of in the center like DM. Because of that, we have the density more spread out throughout the city instead of concentrated in one area. When things are concentrated in a smaller area, taller buildings like that are much more feasible.

Everyone wants to be more centrally located since a lot of their workforce lives out in west Omaha - which keeps getting further and further out there. If TD Ameritrade would have built downtown instead of having a campus of four buildings in what is now central Omaha, it probably would have been over 300 feet. But businesses keep opting to stay further out west and building in business parks instead of the CBD.

I don't know too much about DM, but I don't think they have many (if any) bigger buildings outside of DT like we do here (TDA, BCBS, T&T, MoO, UNMC, the buildings in the FNBP, ect). From what I've looked at, most are only a few stories outside of DT.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Downtown Des Moines is not in the center of the city. Omaha does have a lot more highrises outside of downtown. I prefer Omaha's skyline. It is very impressive from I-29 both north and south of Council Bluffs!!!1
Ryan j
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryan j »

There is already a tunnel under the UP building on the north side that stretches from the North side of the building to that parking garage that they use just north of the Hollard Center. I don't think it would take too much to connect a future Lanoha building to the UP building under the street.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

HR Paperstacks wrote:
I don't know too much about DM, but I don't think they have many (if any) bigger buildings outside of DT like we do here (TDA, BCBS, T&T, MoO, UNMC, the buildings in the FNBP, ect). From what I've looked at, most are only a few stories outside of DT.
I agree, I don't think Des Moines has any really tall buildings outside of downtown. They have a few large employers outside of downtown, but nothing structurally significant.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Ben wrote:Rumor has it one of the driving forces behind this project moving forward is UP's need for additional space.  UP has recently leased space at CPP for several IT teams as they've already outgrown their building, but see this  purely as a stopgap solution.  They have been adamant that they'd prefer space in a building directly adjacent, so that employees could walk for meetings/ use the cafeteria/gym, etc without having to go outside (not possible between UP and CPP).  I wouldn't be surpised if they've already negociated (or signed a letter of intent) to occupy at least part of the office space planned for this tower.

Why the heck didn't they build their existing HQ building with enough extra space to grow into over 10-15 years? It could have been 10 stories taller! Doh!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Why doesn't UP build a new building there to meet their needs, and rent out their 'old' building? :lol:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

So does anyone have an idea how much space UP has in CPP? 100K? More? I wonder what the minimum space Lanoha will accept for a anchor tenant and if they will include spec space. I would have to think a brand new skyscraper with spec space would be highly attractive to prospective smaller tenants even if there is a lot of room at CPP and Landmark. Being in the new "it" tower would draw some firms.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

A large portion of the lot is surrounded by a crowd control type fence, I have no idea what this is for.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:A large portion of the lot is surrounded by a crowd control type fence, I have no idea what this is for.
I was thinking Sand in the City, but that is not until next weekend.

Edit: My bad, Sand in the City is usually held in the Shamrock lot at 10th and Capitol anyways.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

ItsAllAboutMe wrote:A large portion of the lot is surrounded by a crowd control type fence, I have no idea what this is for.
To keep people out?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wiffle Ball Field for CWS.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Wiffle Ball Field for CWS.

At least it will clean the property up for now.