Sorenson Park Plaza

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

bbinks wrote:
jessep28 wrote: 3. There is permit activity for the lot South of Applebee's at 6110 N 72nd, but it only has the attorney's name.
Assuming the OWH article is correct, 6110 N. 72nd is at Nebraska Ave., where the proposed Taco Bell would be.

I'm not sure of the population density of that area, but that is a lot of fast food places to pick from once Panda and Chick-Fil-A open as well.  Especially If you add the Arby's and McDonald's just minutes to the South at Benson Park.
Compared to other parts of the city I would say that even with these additions that area still is closer to being underserved than saturdated.  I lived for 5 years of 78th and Crown Point.  There's plenty of rooftops to support these places.  They need more quick casual and casual dining going forward on top of these.  I'd say South 72nd is closer to be saturated, and we all saw the West Center is with the places that went in then closed.  There's still room for more on N 72nd IMO.

Greg
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

They have the ground torn up in the lot north of Applebees now and a sign that says Panda Express coming soon.
Patty Beeken
MDS Coordinator Eastern Nebraska Veteran's Home
Serving America's Heroes

There is no time limit to solving a mystery
url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Panda Express looks like it is about done... It has gone really slow.  

Noticed yesterday the lot to the north of Golden Corral was dug up and the sign says Taco Bell

Now trying to figure out why Chic Fil A hasn't done anything. It is still listed on the kimco management page and was up there before Panda Express
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Chick Fil A isn't doing anything because the company collectively hates my guts and they know a Chick Fil A over there would be hard for me to resist..  :mrgreen:
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

Panda express is open as Of this afternoon! Eating honey walnut shrimp right now!
Patty Beeken
Serving America's Heroes

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That party supply store on 72nd Street by NFM has closed and the sign says they are relocating to Sorenson Park Plaza.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Brad wrote:That party supply store on 72nd Street by NFM has closed and the sign says they are relocating to Sorenson Park Plaza.
I noticed a dumpster next to one of the buildings in the middle of the parking lot that have never been filled...maybe here
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

The Taco Bell is going up but what is going in next to it? There is another pad being put in right now to the South of Taco Bell but no sign of what it might be. Anyone know?
Patty Beeken
Serving America's Heroes

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Chick-fil-a has a  lot..  That may be it
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

On their map chick-a-Fil was in the sera just south of BK.  But nothing has happened on that spot.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

There is no building permits for the lot (6026 N. 72nd) South of Taco Bell (6110 N. 72nd).   Chik-Fil-A (6310 N. 72nd) had no permits listed yet either.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

ladyred wrote:The Taco Bell is going up but what is going in next to it? There is another pad being put in right now to the South of Taco Bell but no sign of what it might be. Anyone know?
I drove by there yesterday and I think it is just the parking lot for Taco Bell .
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It's probably Taco Bell related. The only permits I could find for that part of N 72nd St. in the past year are for Taco Bell and Panda Express.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

Thanks I was thinking the same thing last night when I went to Target.  Got  waay to excited I am hoping they put a Chic Fila there. That would be great! :D
Patty Beeken
Serving America's Heroes

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

ladyred wrote:Thanks I was thinking the same thing last night when I went to Target.  Got  waay to excited I am hoping they put a Chic Fila there. That would be great! :D
Chick-Fil-A owns the lot at 6310 N 72nd St. which is North of Curtis. Taco Bell and Panda Express are both South of Curtis Ave.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

jessep28 wrote:
ladyred wrote:Thanks I was thinking the same thing last night when I went to Target.  Got  waay to excited I am hoping they put a Chic Fila there. That would be great! :D
Chick-Fil-A owns the lot at 6310 N 72nd St. which is North of Curtis. Taco Bell and Panda Express are both South of Curtis Ave.
I posted this link awhile back --  http://legacy.kimcorealty.com/File/Mark ... EO1103.pdf
Coyote
City Council

Re: Sorenson Park Plaza

Post by Coyote »

After, since 2007(?) most of these store are still vacant, some do not even have a cement floor yet!

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thats crazy, I drove up there after they were completed and I always wondered if they would get leased.
DaPho84
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DaPho84 »

I moved to this area about a year ago. I'm still baffled that it hasn't filled up. It's always decently busy in the evening. I really think they need another family sit down restaurant. With Applebee's there, they should add a Buffalo Wild Wings, and then maybe something like Red Robin? I think a few stores that would make all the difference in this area would be an Old Navy, Bed, Bath, and Beyond (Since there was a Linen n Things), and build a medium sized Kohls. The Old Navy would fit nice in the village part. And maybe add a Panera in there too. Since the Hobby Lobby left on 90th (I know they said they planned to build near Dodge, but that flopped... so come to Sorenson Plaza! These are only my thoughts, so these aren't rumors. But whats stopping them? Sorenson Plaza is a nice little area, they could easily make it big!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Welcome DaPho84 ! I think there are many people (including myself) that are baffled why this area has not taken off. When news came out (how many years ago was this now) that the ball bearing plant was coming down, I thought t his area would be ripe for retail. With Sorenson Parkway reaching N 90th (again I can't remember when this was completed) everything looked promising. It just seems that North Central Omaha is not an area that has been able to take off, for whatever reason...
DaPho84
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DaPho84 »

So today I was at the shopping center and they are doing some major changes to the southwest corner of the empty square. They were cutting tile, hanging fixtures, etc etc. Any information?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I wrote the leasing agent and asked about Chick a Fil site on their map. His response was Chick a fil owns the property and I would have to ask them about when they were building.
DaPho84
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DaPho84 »

They jsut put a sign up on the building. It is a dialysis center.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

DaPho84 wrote:They jsut put a sign up on the building.  It is a dialysis center.
For some odd reason, that just figures...
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Perfect match for a nearly all glass storefront. Bummer. Good news for people who need it though.

I wonder how much longer the Radio Shack will last. There's also a recruiting office next door. Don't remember if it is Navy, Air Force, Army or Marines.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

DaPho84 wrote:They jsut put a sign up on the building.  It is a dialysis center.
Could have been a plasma center. When I lived on 35th & Dewey the patrons to the plasma center on Leavenworth would get their check, go a few lots down to the gas station, cash their check, and leave with their alcohol purchase.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

GetUrban wrote:Perfect match for a nearly all glass storefront. Bummer. Good news for people who need it though.

I wonder how much longer the Radio Shack will last. There's also a recruiting office next door. Don't remember if it is Navy, Air Force, Army or Marines.
Unless I knew the location, I'd have guessed you were discussing a dying indoor mall.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Seth wrote:
GetUrban wrote:Perfect match for a nearly all glass storefront. Bummer. Good news for people who need it though.

Unless I knew the location, I'd have guessed you were discussing a dying indoor mall.
I know, it's sad. Very strange how long this development has sat there mostly empty. It's really a great location...easy to get in and out, if you live in the area, of course. The Target, PetSmart, movie theater, and other stores out there seem to be doing well. What they really need at Sorenson Park Plaza is a big new HyVee. But, from what I've heard there were agreements, whether formal or not, that prevented a major grocery store from being built that would compete with the Bakers at 72nd & Ames. There are quite a few new houses being built north and west of Sorenson Plaza, so hopefully more retail will come in eventually. There are several out-lots waiting to be built-out too.

By contrast, it's unbelievable how much retail exists out in the West Center corridor, west of 132nd. I guess it's greatly affected by where a lot of people choose to live and raise kids...near Millard Schools, Papio/Lavista, Gretna, Elkhorn or Westside districts, not OPS, unfortunately.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
skybirdx2
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skybirdx2 »

This area defiantly needs a large grocery store such as a Hy-Vee, it would do very well in that location. Is it true that the Baker's at 72nd & Ames is blocking something of that nature? The problem is for neighborhoods to the north such as Lake Cunningham Ridge/Hills north of I-680 driving to that Baker's is 4 miles instead of 2 to Sorensen Plaza, that's an 8 mile round trip if you need milk plus the shopping experience at that Baker's is less than ideal. When we lived north of 72nd & I-680 we would try to buy as many groceries at Target as we could because it felt so much closer. Target did expand their grocery selection at that location about a year ago and I'm sure they are doing very well but it's nothing close to that of a Super Target.

Someone said out west you have a lot more grocery stores, this is true where we live out west now. For example in about one square mile at 168th/180th between W Center & Pacific you have a Hy-Vee, Bakers, and Wal-Mart Supercenter, and Super Target and Natural Grocers which all keep plenty busy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Welcome to eOmahaForums skybirdx2. For some reason I thought that was a Super Target. I don't drive past there much any more, and have never been in the store. I can think of another grocer in the area off the top of my head, so. Guess Bakers would be g&s next closest.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Welcome to eOmahaForums skybirdx2. For some reason I thought that was a Super Target. I don't drive past there much any more, and have never been in the store. I can think of another grocer in the area off the top of my head, so. Guess Bakers would be g&s next closest.
I live within a couple of blocks -- they added groceries but didn't make it a Super Target. There is also the Bakers on N 90th but it isn't as updated as the one at 72nd and Ames.
BIG-T
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BIG-T »

A large grocery store would be nice to see in that location, that bakers on 72nd could be better but it isn't. What ever happened to a chic fil a going in the Sorenson Park Area?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

BIG-T wrote:A large grocery store would be nice to see in that location, that bakers on 72nd could be better but it isn't.  What ever happened to a chic fil a going in the Sorenson Park Area?
Chick-Fil-A still owns the land. They have not filed any building permits for the project yet.
DaPho84
New to the Neighborhood

Post by DaPho84 »

Any updates on SPP? I see something happening and 72nd and Reddick. I heard changes are going, but no details.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

DaPho84 wrote:Any updates on SPP? I see something happening and 72nd and Reddick. I heard changes are going, but no details.
Are you talking on the east side of 72nd just north of The Madonna School? I saw that too but I don't know what it is.
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

The sign says it's something to do with QLI
Patty Beeken
Serving America's Heroes

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Quality Living Inc. is the retirement community to the east. They own most of the surrounding pacels.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

bbinks wrote:Quality Living Inc. is the retirement community to the east. They own most of the surrounding pacels.
From their website. QLI has become one of the nation’s premier post-hospital centers for brain and spinal cord injury rehabilitation by embracing the concept that great rehabilitation is more than just the science of physical recovery – it is the art of rebuilding a life.

http://www.qliomaha.com
ladyred
Home Owners Association

Post by ladyred »

I wonder if they are building more of their housing units there. Its my understanding they have small houses that their clients live in which is really great instead of living in one giant facility. Makes it more homelike for them and more personalized care.
Patty Beeken
Serving America's Heroes

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »