HyVee (90th and Center)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ben
Human Relations

HyVee (90th and Center)

Post by Ben »

Not related to this development, but a quick note for the area: The HyVee directly to the south of this project is getting a major interior remodel. Adding a Starbucks, enlarging the floral department, general refresh elsewhere...
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: 90th and Center Discussion

Post by guitarguy »

That is very exciting.. for such a prime location I wonder why they're just now remodeling it.
Coyote
City Council

Re: 90th and Center Discussion

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:That is very exciting.. for such a prime location I wonder why they're just now remodeling it.
I'm sure the Hy-Vees have a rotation time table for their recent renovations. They are currently remodeling the Applewood location, and it heard that they are making a large Starbucks near the entrance. The Stony Brook store has major renovations in the making which I haven't seen started yet. I'm sure there is just so much capital they have to invest in the Omaha market...
Brad
City Council

Re: HyVee (90th and Center)

Post by Brad »

Hope they add the full service liquor store like the other had done. They really need a better beer selection.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

No kidding Brad I live really close to the 108th and Fort location and if I need booze I always go there.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Hope they add the full service liquor store like the other had done.  They really need a better beer selection.
I don't see that happening there without a major renovation. Their deli area sits along 88th St, so no room on the east. Their Pharmacy dept with drive thru is on the west, which would be the only real expansion site. ThEy could reorient their drive thru Pharmacy which would open up that possibility, but their liquor area I only two aisles so it wouldn't open up the store for very much additional space... But I agree, that Hy-Vee and the 52 and Center one have poor liquor (read beer) selections.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Basically every Hy-Vee in the market is going to undergo some kind of renovation soon, to add the restaurants and what not. I think they want them all by next summer.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Garrett wrote:Basically every Hy-Vee in the market is going to undergo some kind of renovation soon, to add the restaurants and what not. I think they want them all by next summer.
The 52 and center location has an apartment building they need to purchase before they are adding any additional SQ FT.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

They have a copy of the blueprint/plans in the store, right by the entrance on a big board. Its an existing footprint, interior only, remodel. No square footage will be added. I did not specifically see if the beer/liquor sections were changing, but they certainly don't have enough square footage to make a "hyvee liquor store" like some of the bigger sites.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:They have a copy of the blueprint/plans in the store, right by the entrance on a big board.  Its an existing footprint, interior only, remodel.  No square footage will be added.  I did not specifically see if the beer/liquor sections were changing, but they certainly don't have enough square footage to make a "hyvee liquor store" like some of the bigger sites.
May be they can lease a bay that the new Strip Mall across the street and do a liquor only store like 108th and Fort did for several years before they added on to that building.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I spoke with Chad, the liquor store director, who has become something of a friend of mine, I spend enough money in his department. LOL. Anyway, the remodel should be wrapped up by Halloween. The original idea was to build out a new liquor store to the west, however the city told Hy-Vee that the store would have to foot the $1.5 million bill to relocate sewers if any building expansion were to be allowed. Hy-Vee won't spend that extra money, so the liquor department will stay put exactly where it is.
The big expansion, besides Starbuck's (so I guess there will be no Starbuck's going in across West Center Road in the new strip mall) will be a new health market. The interior will resemble all the new Hy-Vee remodels, with brushed concrete flooring and more color throughout. I look forward to all of this, as the store is 16 years old and has never been remodeled.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:The original idea was to build out a new liquor store to the west, however the city told Hy-Vee that the store would have to foot the $1.5 million bill to relocate sewers if any building expansion were to be allowed.  Hy-Vee won't spend that extra money, so the liquor department will stay put exactly where it is.
Looking at the Sewer maps, I am guessing they have already paid that fee once when the built the building. The map shows the sewer right through the middle of the current building. However I am guessing when they built the current building they re-loacted the line around the side of the building.

That said, I never thought about that, but its a huge drainage basin, draining through that pipe. Rainwater from as far away as 90th and Shamrock Road, Christ the King, Countryside Village, Westside High School and even 84th and Center, all run through that pipe! That would have to be one huge pipe!

I just finished up some plans to relocate a 72" DIA. pipe in LaVista for a warehouse expansion. I don't know what the final estimate came in at, but it would be interesting to see if it was close to that 1.5 M number.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

When we were talking with Peony Park store personnel about their new gas station (finally!) they said the store will be getting a remodel at the same time. The gas station project seems to have slowed down and no sign of interior remodeling yet. On one hand it will be nice to get a "refreshed" store but on the other it's nice to have everything where I can find it without having to search!
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I doubt they will put a Starbucks in the Peony Park Hy-Vee since there's the Starbucks on 72nd & Dodge and the other one going in on $72 & Pacific.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

lmdramos wrote:I doubt they will put a Starbucks in the Peony Park Hy-Vee since there's the Starbucks on 72nd & Dodge and the other one going in on $72 & Pacific.
I know that I've posted this before, but this is Starbucks we're talking about.

[BBvideo 560,340][/BBvideo]
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I saw three Starbucks on the same corner in central London a number of years ago. But the foot traffic is enormous there.

I'm certain that the Peony Park Hy-Vee will have ever Starbucks or Caribou Coffee go in there. It is a very large store.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

The Starbucks within the store opens today.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

So is this place done? They ripped out all the tile and did not replace it, and then polished the concrete. You can still see all the lines. Doesn't look very good.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:So is this place done?  They ripped out all the tile and did not replace it, and then polished the concrete.  You can still see all the lines.  Doesn't look very good.
IIRC that is what they did with the Applewood Hy-Vee?
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I thought the Hy Vees were shifting to Caribou like the one on 156th and Maple?

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:
Brad wrote:So is this place done?  They ripped out all the tile and did not replace it, and then polished the concrete.  You can still see all the lines.  Doesn't look very good.
Interesting. I like how a lot of the Heidi's have the terrazzo floors. Looks a little more classy.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Interesting.   I like how a lot of the Heidi's have the terrazzo floors.   Looks a little more classy.
I rented her from Blockbuster once! Classy for sure. :lol:
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:
Coyote wrote:
Interesting.   I like how a lot of the Heidi's have the terrazzo floors.   Looks a little more classy.
Did Heidi's ceiling match the floor? If you know what I mean....
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

No, but she got canned in the fourth quarter, if you know what I mean.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Brad wrote:They ripped out all the tile and did not replace it, and then polished the concrete.  You can still see all the lines.  Doesn't look very good.
Yeah, I just assumed they were still working on it. That is horrible.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The floor is fine. The store remodeling was completed about a month ago. This is "my" Hy-Vee, as it is the closest one to my neighborhood and also on my path home from work. The remodeling took the store from a C+ to a B+. The organic/natural food section is a big improvement, and the interior looks nicer. But the store has no ability to expand in its current location, and this limits its potential. No separate Spirits department, for one thing. The salad bar is inferior to what is available in many other stores. And Hy-Vee's bakeries are wholly inferior to just about any other store I shop at.
Jason4225
Home Owners Association

Post by Jason4225 »

I agree that I didn't like the look of the floor when it was completed. I have gotten used to it, but it would have been nice to have something more upscale. Like native, this is my Hy-Vee. I am surprised that they didn't do a more extensive renovation, even within the current footprint. I happened to take the kids (8 and 10)to the Applewood Hy-Vee two weeks ago and they were blown away. They only want to go there from now on. Granted, the 15,000 sq ft expansion helped greatly, but I was very impressed with their renovations.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Applewood did the finished concrete as well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The eating area is closed off and gutted. Temporary eating area set up between the Chinese counter and the produce section.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Brad wrote:The eating area is closed off and gutted. Temporary eating area set up between the Chinese counter and the produce section.
Same as other HyVee's in Omaha
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
Brad wrote:The eating area is closed off and gutted. Temporary eating area set up between the Chinese counter and the produce section.
Same as other HyVee's in Omaha

Not 180th & Q.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stoneybrook is being renovated right now.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

I'm surprised. That store isn't all that old, right? I do love Hy-Vee, I enjoy going in their stores, and I admire how far that grocery store chain has grown & succeeded since I was a kid. However, I greatly dislike their typical store model with the slanted roof accents -- you know, the design that they've used all over. Thankfully, not all their stores have that look, imo. I like the Hy-Vees w/ the stair-stepped, flat roofs better. That slanted roof design is, I feel, insensitive & obtrusive, and doesn't feel "good" to me, when scanning the cityscape it sits within. I think part of it is I don't like seeing stucco used w/ sharply-angling roof lines that belong more with contemporary/modern architecture (designs from the 60's, usually covered with cedar siding).
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

RockHarbor wrote:However, I greatly dislike their typical store model with the slanted roof accents -- you know, the design that they've used all over. Thankfully, not all their stores have that look, imo. I like the Hy-Vees w/ the stair-stepped, flat roofs better. That slanted roof design is, I feel, insensitive & obtrusive, and doesn't feel "good" to me
They haven't built a store in Omaha with slanted roofs since 2003, 15 years ago!

Slanted Roofs:
180 and Q was 2003
90th and Center was 1999
108 and Fort was 1998
Peony Park was 1997
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Brad wrote:
RockHarbor wrote:However, I greatly dislike their typical store model with the slanted roof accents -- you know, the design that they've used all over. Thankfully, not all their stores have that look, imo. I like the Hy-Vees w/ the stair-stepped, flat roofs better. That slanted roof design is, I feel, insensitive & obtrusive, and doesn't feel "good" to me
They haven't built a store in Omaha with slanted roofs since 2003, 15 years ago!

Slanted Roofs:
180 and Q was 2003
90th and Center was 1999
108 and Fort was 1998
Peony Park was 1997
And, I am so glad, Brad. (lol) Thanks for pointing that out, btw. I hadn't really thought about when their last store w/ those sharp angles was built. They all seem so new to me, yet they have been around for awhile -- as you pointed out. And, they don't build a new one all that often. Are you sure the newer Stony Brook one doesn't have those sharp angles? I just passed that today... I could look on Google Maps (street view) to check it out, I guess. (Anyways, I can't stand that design. I hope that design phase is over for good.)
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I will (reluctantly) give credit where it is due. During our recent December tornado outbreak my neighborhood lost power for about 19 hours. That surprised me, as a longtime homeowner I’ve taken comfort in the fact that typically the power is restored quite quickly. Well waking up to no power, a 55 degree house and no means of making coffee, showering or eating breakfast, we pondered our options. It came down to McDonalds or Hy-Vee. We chose the latter, and so we put on ball caps and drove to the nice, warm Hy-Vee Market Grill, or whatever it is called. It had been 10 years since I last ate inside the store, and things have changed a lot. Now they have a bar, big screen TVs, and you order your food at the deli counter, and it is brought to you. They “proudly” serve Caribou coffees, virtually in the shadow of the big Starbuck’s sign 25 feet away.
We ordered from their extensive breakfast menu, and both of us agreed we liked the food a lot better than we anticipated. A nice touch were the electric power outlets on the wall next to each booth. We used them to recharge our phones as we ate.
As one might expect, the morning crowd is 90% male and probably 90% have AARP cards in their wallets. Hy-Vee seems to have a good thing going with this cafe.
I personally will only eat in a grocery store when I am desperate, but as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures. We both enjoyed our meals, we warmed up, our phones got partially charged, and the price was right.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Just got notified that the 90th and Center Hyvee is no longer going to be doing Aisles Online (pickup or delivery).
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Ben wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:00 am Just got notified that the 90th and Center Hyvee is no longer going to be doing Aisles Online (pickup or delivery).
Is that because their parking lot is a disaster? One of those examples of stuffing a big store into a small space.

Surprised they'd eliminate delivery, though. I imagine they'll simply push that to another store relatively close.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Surprising. I haven't picked up from there for a little bit, but in the past it always seemed busy. That said, the 90th & Center store has always seemed a bit different to me. While it looks like all the other HyVee's, its just never been the same as the rest.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This Hy-Vee is the relative runt of the litter. They don’t have the product depth that the larger stores have. While it is relatively close to my home I routinely shop at Peony Park or 96th and Q, where the selection is much larger.
Aldi is my true store of choice, however, for all of the basics.