New High School

Have an inside scoop? Word on a new retailer or restaurant? Share it here!

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

New High School

Post by Coyote »

Today I heard something that would be very interesting if it happened. It appears that the HDZ, OPS, and Papio La Vista, are looking for funding to establish a High School with an emphasis on science on the HDZ campus. They already have programs were they house student interns in the houses they own just to the south, and have classes for students there already, so if wouldn't be toooo far fetched that they would try something like this.
Uffda
County Board

Re: New High School

Post by Uffda »

from their master plan

The Zoo will host full-time High School and Kindergarten classes for up to 350 students.
http://www.omahazoo.com/Post/sections/1 ... cation.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Zoo Academy - PLV
http://www.paplv.org/Pages/Academy%20Pa ... ademy.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The current Papillion LaVista Program is 1-2 years. The first year for Juniors is more of an over view where they get to try all different parts of the zoo. If they was to come back for the second (Senior) year, they can specialize in one area.

I have a friend that will have a kid in the program when school starts here in a couple weeks.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I heard this rumor again, from someone who heard it from a reliable source, but shouldn't have...
The HDZ will have an on campus school, 1st through sr high, within 10 years.
This will be an ops project geared towards non athletic, biology serious students...
This will not be transfer students taking classes from ops or LVP schools, but be an on campus school.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Coyote wrote:I heard this rumor again, from someone who heard it from a reliable source, but shouldn't have...
The HDZ will have an on campus school, 1st through sr high, within 10 years.
This will be an ops project geared towards non athletic, biology serious students...
This will not be transfer students taking classes from ops or LVP schools, but be an on campus school.
Heard the same about 2 yr ago at a dinner function where a senior person from the zoo was the evening's speaker. Apparently, part of their plan for their educational mission. Bancroft Elementary, this school, the existing undergrad and grad school programs all interlocking.
Bomaha in the flesh

Post by Bomaha in the flesh »

I always thought that UNL should move it's veterinary school to the HDZ.
TLGJames
Home Owners Association

Post by TLGJames »

That would actually be quite amazing. Make the Zoo more integral to our city.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I thought I heard K-12, but HDZ has been buying houses for an intern program for years now...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »