Werner Park - Sarpy County/Royals Stadium

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Louie
County Board

Re: DISCUSSION: Sarpy County/Royals Stadium

Post by Louie »

RNcyanide wrote:
Trips wrote:1,000 houses and 1,000 apartments.  It would be nice to see the apartments mixed in with the retail.  If they had the first two floors retail with 2-4 floors of apartments I think it would be a better mix.  I really like what the railyard in Lincoln has going on.
Sarpy county doesn't have the urban planning motivations that Omaha does. While it's a nice thought, that probably won't be the case.
Definitely. Sarpy biggest worry is just to get buildings around Werner park to get it out of a cornfield.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Louie wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
Trips wrote:1,000 houses and 1,000 apartments.  It would be nice to see the apartments mixed in with the retail.  If they had the first two floors retail with 2-4 floors of apartments I think it would be a better mix.  I really like what the railyard in Lincoln has going on.
Sarpy county doesn't have the urban planning motivations that Omaha does. While it's a nice thought, that probably won't be the case.
Definitely. Sarpy biggest worry is just to get buildings around Werner park to get it out of a cornfield.
Urban sprawl at its finest!!!
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

RNcyanide wrote:
Louie wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:Sarpy county doesn't have the urban planning motivations that Omaha does. While it's a nice thought, that probably won't be the case.
Urban sprawl at its finest!!!

Where do you live?
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

But I'm not supposed to tell strangers that...

Ah screw it. 132nd and Harrison. Just northwest of this area.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

RNcyanide wrote:But I'm not supposed to tell strangers that...

Was trying to figure out if the urban sprawl was sarcastic, synical....I'm new here after all
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Al Buterol wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:But I'm not supposed to tell strangers that...

Was trying to figure out if the urban sprawl was sarcastic, synical....I'm new here after all
Literal.

The Bride
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

Oh, I'm a big fan of urban sprawl.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They have started on multiple foundations on the housing directly behind Werner Park.

Greg
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

So they really don't want you to use the Prairie Queen Rec Path yet......signs/fencing, etc.

After not having it up for 2 months prior
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Al Buterol wrote:So they really don't want you to use the Prairie Queen Rec Path yet......signs/fencing, etc.

After not having it up for 2 months prior
I asked Mayor Black that a few weeks ago, he said like the Walnut Creek area, the city does not take over Prairie Queen until the NRD says it is safe enough from all the settling for anyone to visit...
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

Hopefully it is going to be open in Spring 2014 when 50 families live right next door.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Al Buterol wrote:Hopefully it is going to be open in Spring 2014 when 50 families live right next door.
Maybe Spring 2015 :;):
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

Coyote wrote:
Al Buterol wrote:Hopefully it is going to be open in Spring 2014 when 50 families live right next door.
Maybe Spring 2015  :;):
Yeah, woops!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Striking out already? Werner Park scoreboard less than 4 years old, but Storm Chasers seek new one

http://www.omaha.com/sports/chasers/str ... a6614.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cody Winchester and Emily Nohr / World-Herald staff writers wrote:But when the scoreboard started having problems, the team couldn’t go back to SignCo for replacement parts because the company had gone out of business, said Martie Cordaro, Storm Chasers president and general manager.

The problems included mechanical issues, blacking out and portions of the squares not working, he said.

“A lot of issues stemmed from no one to support the technology up there now,” Cordaro said.
Cody Winchester and Emily Nohr / World-Herald staff writers wrote: Wayne said he expects to get bids back by the end of the month and award the contract in January. If the County Board approves, he said, a new scoreboard could be in place by April 1, the start of the next Storm Chasers season.

Cordaro said the board’s decision to go out for bids is a good step, and he’s optimistic that the team will be playing with a new board for the 2015 season, when it will host the AAA all-star game.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I really liked the look of the current scoreboard, but I am glad that they are getting a new one. The current one is a bit small by today's standards for "nice" minor league parks.

Also from the story:
The county has informally agreed to contribute $280,000 — $40,000 a year for seven years — to pay for a new high-definition board 48 feet wide by 25.5 feet high.
Any idea what the dimensions are of the current board?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Any idea what the dimensions are of the current board?
15x32
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

So size wise that should be a nice upgrade:

Current board
Cost: $440,000
Dimensions: 15 x 32 = 480 sq ft

New board
Cost: $550,000 (max)
Dimensions: 48 x 25.5 = 1,224 sq ft

The new board will be over 2.5 times larger. Of course like any new board in a stadium, it will probably be split up and a good portion of it will display ads, but it should have the availability to switch to full screen mode if necessary. I just hope they keep the box score part separate from the video board (like it and TD Ameritrade currently are) . It is easier to read than an all digital version.

For comparison. the video board at Caniglia Field @ UNO is 21 x 42 (882 sq ft) TD Ameritrade's board is 34 x 54 (1,836 sq ft)
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Granted, I'm in a fiscally conservative mood today, but the fact that a government entity bought a piece of junk scoreboard for a stadium project and now has to spend the money again to replace it 5 years later doesn't surprise me one bit. On top of that, they're hiring a consultant too.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I need to get into the consulting business.

"Should we build this?"

"Eh.....sure!"
No posts exist for this topic
Rosenblatt48
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Rosenblatt48 »

skinzfan23 wrote:So size wise that should be a nice upgrade:

Current board
Cost: $440,000
Dimensions: 15 x 32 = 480 sq ft

New board
Cost:  $550,000 (max)
Dimensions: 48 x 25.5 = 1,224 sq ft

The new board will be over 2.5 times larger.  Of course like any new board in a stadium, it will probably be split up and a good portion of it will display ads, but it should have the availability to switch to full screen mode if necessary.  I just hope they keep the box score part separate from the video board (like it and TD Ameritrade currently are) .  It is easier to read than an all digital version.

For comparison. the video board at Caniglia Field @ UNO is 21 x 42 (882 sq ft)  TD Ameritrade's board is 34 x 54 (1,836 sq ft)
Do you have any idea how big the Rosenblatt video board was?
I've always sworn that TD's board is much much smaller, but always wanted to know how much smaller it really is.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

From what I could find, Rosenblatt's board was 27x56 = 1,512 sq ft

To me it seems that the biggest difference is Rosenblatt's was all video board, whereas TD has the boxscore part separate from the video part.

http://eomahaforums.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 4&start=30
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sarpy County Board OKs $589,484 bid to replace Werner Park scoreboard that's only 4 years old
The County Board on Tuesday voted 4-1 to accept a $589,484 bid from a South Dakota company for a high-definition scoreboard at Werner Park, plus its installation and a five-year warranty.
The county will pay Daktronics $309,484, according to the agreement. The Storm Chasers will pick up the remaining $280,000.

The consultant’s work also included recommending $242,400 in video replay equipment and cameras for the ballpark. That equipment will be paid for by the team.
The Storm Chasers said in a press release that the new LED video display will give Werner Park “one of the most state-of-the-art displays in Minor League Baseball.”
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's too bad they had to do this but at least it's better. The old scoreboard was not very good even at the beginning.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I always have liked the overall scoreboard, just thought that the video board could be nicer.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'm just glad to read they got video equipment along with the scoreboard, why have a nice board without anything to show on it except balloon races and ring around the bat races... How many camera operators/views did they have and his many extra ones will they now have?
Al Buterol
Home Owners Association

Post by Al Buterol »

Anyone know when/if development will start around the ballpark? Anything in the works?

I know the commercial is platted to the west of the ballpark, and the Good Samaritan Society? has a sign up, but all I've seen.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

From what I've heard... The asking price for this land is chasing people away...
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I think it should help with the opening of the new dam site and all of the home construction that is now going up behind the ballpark.

Greg
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Yeah, if land prices are chasing people away, you sure cant tell. There are lots of homes being built there.
Go Cubs Go
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

thenewguy wrote:Yeah, if land prices are chasing people away, you sure cant tell. There are lots of homes being built there.
It's probably just the commercial sites that are expensive.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Not sure why everyone keeps looking past the fact that NOBODY LIVES OUT THERE!!! Commercial tenants want 365 day a year customers, not 72 evenings a year customers! Build up those neighborhoods and commercial will start to take off. The only exception I ever see to this "Rule" is interstate exit developments and walmarts. Just look at Coventry, limited residential, no development.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Brad wrote:Not sure why everyone keeps looking past the fact that NOBODY LIVES OUT THERE!!!  Commercial tenants want 365 day a year customers, not 72 evenings a year customers!  Build up those neighborhoods and commercial will start to take off.
One of my co-workers is looking at building right out in the area of the, uh, "trailer park", and there are apparently housing areas going in both north and south of the park. He described part of the area as "almost McMansion" houses.

I haven't been curious enough to actually check it out myself, however. :)
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah, they've got some really nice housing developments going in plus a brand new grade school.

Once they get more roof tops it will be more attractive.

I think what a lot of people here are referring to is the actual land within the Pennant Place development, which Werner Park is a part of.

Greg
ZaEry
New to the Neighborhood

Development around Werner Park

Post by ZaEry »

There's supposed to be all this development that's going to be around the Werner Park area.

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah, North Shore is already under construction.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Greg S wrote:Yeah, North Shore is already under construction.

Greg
Almost everything on that map is under construction. Northshore, Kingsburry, Granite Falls, Southbrook, Ashbury.

And the Fidelity Data Center Building is almost done.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

North Shore Commercial and Pennant Place I don't think are yet and they are key.

Have they started on the Good Sam facility yet? I think the sign went up shortly after the ballpark opened but it keeps getting delayed. Also, anything on Werner Park apartments?

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I noticed on the Creighton/Nebraska highlights the other night, the new board is up and working. I don't have a picture yet, but I did find this rendering of the new board.

New Werner Park Video Display Details
One of the first MiLB teams to receive 13HD pixel layout, 50% larger than old display

I think I liked the amber color of the box score of the old board, but overall it looks nice.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Since the forum seems to really like numbers and discuss numbers went it comes to Population, Venue Capacity, and Event Attendance....

Just listening to the Chasers Game on the raido. Apparently Memphis remodeled AutoZone Park over the winter and they decreased the total Capacity by 25%.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Yeah I just checked. They removed nearly 3,000 seats, to add in berm seating, so their total capacity is now near 10,000. They also installed a wall with LED lighting. Just like major league ballparks, I think they realize they don't need to build so large capacity wise anymore. For years, a lot of major league stadiums were in the 40,000 - 50,000 range. Now most are in the 30,000 - 40,000 range. For AAA parks, most are in the 7,000 - 10,000 range.

Here is a picture of the scoreboard in right and the LED wall in left field: